Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #766
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Fun, fun fun on Main Street USA! How cool. I love tours and history, so I bet I would have enjoyed that too.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #767
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Isn't the Walk tour great? Can't wait to hear about you "illegally" touching things.

You should have gone for the Matterhorn macaroon for breakfast.

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #768
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post

rsday. The stan by times would completely change over the weekend. But today...WOOHOO!!!!

Cont'd next post-

Very impressive that you kept your sunglasses on AND they stayed on!

Some day I will have to try this ride....after riding the roller coaster at New York, New York, I haven't loved the idea of roller coasters that have those bars over your shoulders. Made me feel very claustrophobic....but I do love a good roller coaster!!
Disneyland: Nov '14-Hojo's... June '13-Hojo's.....May '12-BWPPI...May ’09-Hojo’s…Oct ‘07–Grand Californian…Nov ‘06–Paradise Pier...June ’04–Disneyland Hotel...June ‘96-Anaheim Hilton…July ‘95-Carousel Inn…Aug ’92–Carousel Inn…July ’90-Embassy Suites…July ’89-Anaheim Hilton…May ’88-Penny Sleeper…May ’87-Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Misskitty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #769
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Well, of course, we were now going to see-

Well, kind of. We were going to see the lobby, and the beautiful elevator Walt had created just for his special club. Mia let them know we were here, and while we waited, I took some pics outside-

Say CHEESE!

Mia told us about why Club 33 was created by Walt- he was on that very popular TV program every week, and everyone knew who he was. So of course, as you can well imagine, he was bombarded by fans in the park- which was fine, but sometimes, he needed a break, somewhere where he could go with his guests or cast members and have an un-interrupted conversation and kick back a bit. So he built Club 33 for that purpose.

She told us about the elevator- it is an exact replica of one from a hotel he stayed in in France. He wanted to buy THAT elevator, but, no, sorry Monsieur who ever you are, this elevator is not for sale. So Walt sent his Imagineers back to france to scope out the exact elevator and duplicate it PERFECTLY for his club. GO WALT! We then all took turns taking pics in the elevator-

And then went back outside to continue the tour.

Mia spoke about Walt and his well known love of trains. One of which we were about to board.

I loved talking to Mia in between her official tour parts. I learned she has never been to WDW. I think she said it would feel like cheating on her park. Of course, I tried to do my best to explain WDW to her, and told her her DL would really understand if she went there someday. But I got the feeling it would be many, many years before she EVER would consider doing that. She REALLY loved Walt- she was extremely passionate about upholding his vision and I can honestly say she did a great job of it. She fit right in with that mold of perfect, polite, wholesome young women he had contracted with Disney back in the day- and she was a trooper, man- she wore high heels the entire time!

Here we go!

Notice how all the seats face out? She was happy we got this one-

Just a drive by-

When WILL it open????

When we got off, we stopped over here-

Never did get on IASW this trip- I was kind of really hoping it would be a part of this tour, but guess not, today.

Cont'd next post-

podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #770
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

We were then taken into Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. For those of you who have not been to DL, the lobby of this attraction reminded me of One Man's Dream in DHS a little. AND the American Adventure lobby a little. Kind of like THEY had a baby.

Here's the plan-

Now where I have I seen this before?

In case you were wondering, Walt had a huge fondness and admiration thing going for old Honest Abe. Mia started to tell us about it...and about the end of Walt's life. At some point she stopped and looked at me to say I was really going to cry now (I guess I had been doing that occasionally, here and there on the tour whenever she would relate some tender Walt fact. Goober that I am. Called out by Practically Perfect Tour Guide, Mia. SHEESH). She was right- I did. GOOBER!

Here is Walt dressed up with Roy- 2 guesses which one is our beloved hero in the pic-

More heroes in there, like Jackie Robinson-

Helen Keller-

Our heroes-

Well, we watched the movie/show, and then the tour was concluded...EXCEPT...for 2 more things. The first of which was lunch! Back down (up?) Main Street we went, to Jolly Holiday for my second meal of the day in the same place.

We were shown a menu before our tour began, and I had ordered the Jolly Holiday Salad - Blend of Lettuce, with Spiced Pecans, Feta, Red & Yellow Tomatoes and Craisins Dried Cranberries. Served with Raspberry Vinaigrette. $7.99 .

It was waaaaay better than breakfast!

Especially because I got a Matterhorn Macaroon, JEDIJILL, for dessert!

They gave us our VERY amazing pins during lunch-

Then Mia said we could leave any leftovers here with her while we went on the last part of the tour, which would be given by a different CM.

Different? Yea- this one was DIFFERENT alright.....

to be continued.....

podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #771
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

It looks so much different then I remember. Then again, I was only 15 when I went there the one and only time!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #772
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Mmmmm, Matterhorn macaroon! Worth the trip to DLR!

I sobbed at the end of the tour too. You are not alone.

Jill in CO
Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #773
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Ugh.... cliffhangers

Come back real soon please

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #774
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

This definitely sounds like a cool tour!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #775
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Noooo not a cliffhanger! Ok, so just kidding with the mad face but you are killing me.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #776
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

If Amercian Adventure and One Man's Dream had a baby!

The Matterhorn Macaroon looks divine.

I'll tell you, I use to feel just like Mia about visiting WDW before I actually visited. WDW does not illicit nearly the same heartfelt, magical, and nostalgic response as Disneyland does and I'm glad. I am much more of a blubbering fool at Disneyland. I don't feel Walt's presence at WDW. WDW is amazing but its not Disneyland. I totally get Mia's thinking. When someone says Disney I think Land not World. Love them both but just in different ways. But not like if they had a baby.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 AM   #777
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Ellen! How fun you got to meet up with your old beach friend Steve! Love the hair on the guys from the TBT pic!

Your NR dinner looked amazing! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The tour is so cool! Looks like Mia was able to really connect with the culture that Walt tried to hard to preserve. "Cheating on DL" What a cutie! Looking forward to seeing who your next CM guide is
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #779
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

If DW and I ever make it out to DL again we MUST do this tour. It's been only 47 years since I was at DL so I guess it's time to go again, right? I love the update!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #780
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

What a sweet tour guide! You can tell from the pictures that she loves her job. I love when you encounter people like that; you can't help but catch their enthusiasm!

I would have teared up, too!

Lunch looks yummy! How cute that they put your name stickers on there. And the pin is SO neat - I love it!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: