Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #751
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Tonight's dinner was at the acclaimed Napa Rose at the GCH. Just Pods and I would be going on this dining adventure, and we were REALLY excited, because I had heard it was sooo amazing!

And well, it was! But....at the time, I remember being a little disappointed- I think because I had it built up SO high, and to a more personal experience. It was extreeeeeemely uber fine dining, and they were all very nice and skilled. But I thought it was one of those deals where the chef kind of makes up some stuff for you based on what you love. Well, he doesn't. Especially if HE (Andrew Sutton) isn't even there that night, lol! Everything, however, was brilliant and beautiful, and I would definitely return if I am ever lucky enough to be in the area again. A couple of pics before we sat-

60 days in advance, I had popped out of bed, air-head that I am, and ran downstairs frantically to call and book the Chef's Counter- being a WDW trained DISgeek, I wasn't sure just how fast this type of experience booked up. Fortunately, it was FINE that I had forgotten all day to call and reserve, there were still plenty of seats available (in fact, there were that night, too). So now here we were, celebrating our 27th Anniversary from 2 months prior. Many things to choose from-

Tonight, we were having the Vintners Table-

I was going to start with a cocktail-

Unfortunately, our wine was being poured to compliment our first course before the drink ever arrived. So I cancelled it. A close up of the main courses-

I had heard that the mac n cheese was TDF from a little bird (named Alison) so I was hoping when they asked what our food preferences were and I said truffles- we LOVE truffles- that they would get my not so subtle hint.

I wanted to show you everything close-up, because since we were both having the Vintner's Menu, they were going to surprise us each with different courses. Bread-

LOVED this bread-

A little amuse bouche to get things rolling....

and....I will be back in a few to continue-sorry!

podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #752
podsnel

So, we were having the Vintner's Menu but they were giving us random things, we had said surprise us, we are foodies, LOVE unusual dishes we would not find elsewhere. Some things were listed on the Vintner's, some were parts of other dishes, it varied, but it was all on the menu somewhere in most cases.

Tangierine lobster and tempura fried avocado- so different than any other avocado I have ever had-

Smiling Tiger Salad (minus the beef, i think)

The view-

Pan Roasted Diver scallop on a sauce of lobster and lemon accented with vanilla-

I usually hate vanilla in savory food- I remember this was the first time I did not. Pods and I were sharing everything (of course!) and I think this next dish is what made me crave octopus for this past year...it was lemon verbena grilled fish of the day, Spanish Octopus, fingerling potatoes and zinfandel vinaigrette.

A very pretty restaurant-

Next- Roasted maple Leaf Duck Breast with fennel honey puree, pistacios, baby portobellos and local cherries

I think this was rabbit with summer tomatoes, fava beans and parmigiano- but it was a risotto, not on polenta-

Portobello Mushroom Cappuccino with brandied thyme froth-

This was a lamb porterhouse, but different presentation-

Beef tenderloin, different presentation-

And he remembered the truffles-

Of course, we were incredibly full- it was a LOT of food!! But still there was dessert-

I think this was a warm dark chocolate truffle cake with bailey's gelato

And I sadly can't recall what we were served completely, but we got to choose, which was nice, and they recommended trying this one with the cherries because it was coming off the menu the next day as this was the end of cherry season.

It was very god, for sure!

We rolled out of Napa Rose, past the special Lasseter wines....

SO cool, aren't they?!

And past the empty lounge-

Oh...what a lovely meal, but I think I would go again and order exactly what I wanted next time, rather than leaving it up to the chef. Maybe. Probably depends on if HE is there- or not.

Once back to our villa, the kids were lounging around in the livingroom- I took the opportunity to tickle Tyler to pieces (his nick-name is Tickle -me-Tweelie and Timmy would be the FIRST one to tell you, but since he's not here, I will tell you instead!)- because NOTHING ends a nice night out like coming home and making your 16 year old fall to bits from a few tickles (oh- MAN is that kid tickle-ish!!),

HAHAHAHA! Up next- A Walk in Walt's Footsteps......

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #753
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Yum - everything you had looks great.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #754
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Dinner looks awesome! I loved the Chef's Counter but I will choose my own meal unless Chef Sutton is there. I, too, was hoping for some special dishes but didn't get them. Everything was yummy though!

Jill in CO
Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #755
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Nice update. Dinner looks lovely. I am sorry the Chef wasn't there to prepare your meal. Wasn't that mac n cheeses so rich? M and I ordered it and could only finish about 1/3 of it. I did eat it for the breakfast the next day though.

I wish the dessert we had was there during your visit. It was called hot chocolate something or another. It was the creamiest most wonderful hot chocolate with two handmade filled donuts. OMG to die for. I think it may be a winter dessert.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #756
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Yum - everything you had looks great.
It was- very nice. But I think Remy is nicer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Dinner looks awesome! I loved the Chef's Counter but I will choose my own meal unless Chef Sutton is there. I, too, was hoping for some special dishes but didn't get them. Everything was yummy though!

Jill in CO
I agree- and thanks for saying that- I feel like a spoiled BRAT! But what you just said is EXACTLY how we felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Nice update. Dinner looks lovely. I am sorry the Chef wasn't there to prepare your meal. Wasn't that mac n cheeses so rich? M and I ordered it and could only finish about 1/3 of it. I did eat it for the breakfast the next day though.

Yes, it was good- I think I liked the one at Club 33 more though...

I wish the dessert we had was there during your visit. It was called hot chocolate something or another. It was the creamiest most wonderful hot chocolate with two handmade filled donuts. OMG to die for. I think it may be a winter dessert.
Wow- that sounds so cool! Was THE chef there on your visit?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #757
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Everything looks delicious! YUM! What a special meal.

I am with Tyler, I am SUPER ticklish...wait, should I be telling you that, AEP roomie?!?!

Great update! Hope baseball is calming down for you even a little bit. This summer is FLYING by. I was thinking today, I had no travel plans this summer, had this laundry list of things to do, I was going to be super productive.....nope. It's already July 9th and I feel like the summer is SCREAMING by.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #758
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I don't think the chef is anywhere any more. He has so many obligations, he's no longer a chef who prepares food regularly, he's a figurehead who travels amongst his various restaurants checking on the chefs.

I think the whole idea of them making you what you want is overrated. They do pick and choose stuff off the menu that you would like. I prefer to pick my favorites off the menu too. Those scallops and the smiling tiger salad are definite favs. I also like the pizza with the grapes.

I'm glad in hindsight you enjoyed the meal. We like going there too. We ate there in April and it was great!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #759
podsnel

It's a new day! WOW- we were on vacation FOREVER last year!! On this morning, our 3rd day in DL, I was going to begin my day with a tour of DL- specifically, the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour. Because, really, isn't that what this park is about? This is the one where WALT was- as if it wasn't already special enough here. I left everyone snoring in the villa and cut through CA. Here's a pic for you, MEK-

Sooo casual...

I did need to go over to the booth and check-in pre-tour. I still needed to eat breakfast, and was hoping to go to the Coronation Café, but the CM said there probably wasn't time for that. So off to Jolly Holiday I went for some counter service....

As you can see, it was packed-

lunch-

But I was here for breakfast, which was a quiche (that I did not enjoy very much) and some fruit-

After I finished, I still had plenty of time to kill (making me wish I had not listened to that CM and gone to the CC like I wanted to, because I never made it there, and I had really wanted to try as many different restaurants as possible, of course. Anyway, I ended up browsing in the stores-

Sorry the pic quality is not the greatest- at this point I was kind of over lugging around the big camera and just had the water camera with me. I went into Crystal Arts and fell in love with these precious miniature sparkly friends-

I also fell in love with some earrings that were waaaaay more than I wanted to spend. I did however start a collection of these- with a purchase of Jiminy Cricket- he seemed like the right choice for a souvenir from DL. Back outside-

So sweet, isn't it?

I'd be going up there later today- TOUCHING things when the scary lady wasn't looking...lol...but you'll have to wait for that-

Right now, however we were just here to begin our very magical tour....

With a walk down Main street...

And a stop at the Partner's statue-

All the while our CM Tour Guide was giving us great details and info about Walt, and what this park really meant to him. It was AWESOME!!!!!

I have to run, but I will try to finish this later today....

Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #760
MEK
DIS Veteran

Dinner looks delish and Napa Rose looks like a beautiful restaurant. So lovely! Glad you enjoyed your meal even though you would rather pick yourself.

Thanks for the shout out picture!

So it looks like Denny wants to go to DL in June instead of February of next year. Do you think I can make it that long?

I really want to do the footsteps tour!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #761
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Oh I so wish I had tried dinner at Napa Rose when I was last in DL but I was travelling without DH and felt a bit self conscious dining in there alone :-(
I did order from their lounge menu though, and sat out on the terrace with a nice glass of wine and a delicious appetiser :-)
Isn't the Walt in Walt's Footsteps Tour the best?! - I loved it !
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #762
podsnel

Next, we were walking through the VERY special castle- just look how huge it is!

Look! We're in Fantasyland! BIG surprise!!!

We stopped at the carousel, and the CM told the story of why this is so important to Disney- now, I am going to guess every one of you knows the story of Walt at the park with his daughters, watching them on the carousel, and how he dreamed of a place where he could have fun with his girls together, all of them. So since you know that, I won't bother to tell you again.

Moving on through the rest of Fantasyland...

We did get to go on a ride here, and I want to say it was Peter Pan's Flight, but I can't say for certain- I do remember though, that we were able to cut the line which everyone in our group enjoyed a LOT! Peter Pan is one of the original opening day rides left in the park.

I was trying to get Figaro with his eyes open, but I missed-

Keep walking, and now we were in Frontierland.

Our tour guide was Mia, and she really and truly LOVES her job. She told us she had wanted to be a Disneyland Tour Guide ever since she was 9- it is her dream job. Absolutely believe her- she was living every moment of every story. Fantastic!

We heard the story of why this is here- look MEK!

which is pretty much Walt should have had a personal shopper help him when shopping for Lilly...

Next we were going to New Orleans Square-

For something everyone was looking forward to....

To be continued...
Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #763
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Now you know you can't stop there....thats the part of the tour I didn't get to do!!!
I thought the same thing about the petrified tree...I would kill my husband if he bought me one.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #764
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Napa Rose dinner looks ah-mazing!

If we go to DL, I definitely want to do this tour.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #765
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Following along! Had a lot to catch up on. Again, as always, I just love all the detail I see in your pics. Especially DL brings back a lot of memories as we were able to take our mum there 5 years before she died.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: