Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #631
MEK
DIS Veteran

So let me get this straight - you couldn't sit with your family because seats were reserved for kids who sat on the laps of others clearly making room for you to sit. What is wrong with people?

I've told this story, but it reminds me of my last trip to Epcot. Cynthia & I met some other DISers to watch Illuminations from the vantage point of the deck outside of Tokyo Dining. I was trying to position myself in such a way that I did not obstruct another adults vision. I asked the lady behind and to the right of me if she could see. She says, "Yes, but she can't see" and points to her 3 year old in a STROLLER whose seat didn't even clear the railing. Not to mention the fact that the kids eyes were half shut. Are you kidding me? Of course she can't see - her eyes are closed and she can't see over the railing. Nuts!

I digress!

The forest looks amazing and that's a really cool story about its discovery. I'm glad Timmy was able to rally somewhat and hopefully enjoy himself a little bit. That's far too far to go and not get to take the tour.

Woo Hoo for DL!!!!!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #632
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

More gorgeousness. What a cool thing to see. Isn't it incredible to think about those trees being there ALL those years? Throughout all that has done on historically. Pretty amazing.

Poor Timmy; hope he felt better quickly.

The savings seats thing is . I'm sure these are the same people who have their crap on an empty DCL deck chair for 6 hours and then get pissed when it gets moved. Some people are clueless.

Yay for Disneyland!!

DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #633
YodasMom
Holy Cow!! 741!!
Been there, done that...and lost sleep! Yuk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Lucky girl! That is going to be wonderful- I want to do that ABD one day too! What kinds of tours do you have planned in SF?
I am doing an early morning Muir Woods tour that starts before the park opens, so it should be nice to be there before the crowds swarm in! Also, doing a SF city tour. And, finally, I am taking a one day - long day tour to Yosemite. I know it's going to be a long day and that I will miss a lot, but this is all I can do this trip considering all the other things I'm doing and will then need to get back to work. I've been to Yosemite before and plan to return for several days another time, but just didn't want to totally miss it this time! The tour company, for all of these, uses small vans with a maximum of around 9 or 10 people, I think, so it's not a big bus thing.

Your newest photos are gorgeous. Just love the tree enormous trees! Hope Timmy feels better soon!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #634
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

SOOO Beautiful! I need to do this trip

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #635
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
So we squeezed? Squoze? Is that a word?
I like it. Let's go with squoze.

Quote:
Bud- the room is 4 hours away. Ride the tram for an hour, please, and then we can go. Please.
But surely you have magical skillz to make a bedroom appear.

Quote:
We saw a ton up front- however those were all (except 3) being saved by some major nasty B for her family (which included 3 kids that spent the whole ride on someone else's lap- I really was not a fan of this person, and I want to know where HER sign was- my guess is in a rest stop bathroom, if you get my drift).
Ever heard of the art of crop-dusting? It's usually meant for people who stop in the middle of the row in Disney auditoriums, but I can find an application here.

Quote:
These trees are between 1000 and 3000 years old.
Wow! They've seen us regress all the way from Beethoven to Bieber.

Quote:
When you get to the Upper Grove, there is a museum which is a replica of Galen Clark's Cabin- he is the man who discovered the grove. Interesting story- he was diagnosed with consumption (TB) in 1853 and given 6 months to live. He discovered the Mariposa Grove and moved there- he died in 1910! That's a LONG 6 months!! He moved to the mountains to take his chances on dying or recovering- things worked out well for him!
Now I know where to go during the zombie apocalypse.

Quote:
Then went to look at the California Tunnel Tree- the only living tree with a tunnel cut through it remaining. The tunnel was made in 1895 as a gimmick to allow stagecoaches to pass through.
Cool! Hard to believe it's actually alive.

Quote:
And said good bye to Yosemite National Park- because now, we were on our way south- to DISNEYLAND!!!!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #636
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Yay for on your way to Disneyland. That looks like a great tour! I want to do everything that you did on these days, it looks so beautiful!

You really need to! Your state is spectacular, my friend!

Sorry that Timmy wasn't feeling well and his cranky side came out, that can tend to happen. I know first hand.
Ah, yes- I know you do-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So let me get this straight - you couldn't sit with your family because seats were reserved for kids who sat on the laps of others clearly making room for you to sit. What is wrong with people?

What's wrong with people is a BIZARRE sense of misplaced ENTITLEMENT. I can handle most attitudes, but a sense of entitlement drives me totally cray-cray.

I've told this story, but it reminds me of my last trip to Epcot. Cynthia & I met some other DISers to watch Illuminations from the vantage point of the deck outside of Tokyo Dining. I was trying to position myself in such a way that I did not obstruct another adults vision. I asked the lady behind and to the right of me if she could see. She says, "Yes, but she can't see" and points to her 3 year old in a STROLLER whose seat didn't even clear the railing. Not to mention the fact that the kids eyes were half shut. Are you kidding me? Of course she can't see - her eyes are closed and she can't see over the railing. Nuts!

RIDICULOUS!!! Can't we ship these people off somewhere?Obnoxious Island?

I digress!

The forest looks amazing and that's a really cool story about its discovery. I'm glad Timmy was able to rally somewhat and hopefully enjoy himself a little bit. That's far too far to go and not get to take the tour.

He really did NOT do what I would call rally. He begrudgingly got on the tram because the alternative was to sit on a rock in 100 degree heat. At least the tram had a little breeze.

Woo Hoo for DL!!!!!
YES!!! That's how I felt about it! I purposefully made DL at the end of the trip because I didn't want to have PDB (post Disney Blues) for the whole rest of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
More gorgeousness. What a cool thing to see. Isn't it incredible to think about those trees being there ALL those years? Throughout all that has done on historically. Pretty amazing.

It is- here is an old photo from it- and this is not even THAT old, in terms of the 1000s of years these trees have been alive-

That is Teddy Roosevelt and John Muir in the pic, among others.

Poor Timmy; hope he felt better quickly.

A miraculous recovery as soon as we got back in the car.

The savings seats thing is . I'm sure these are the same people who have their crap on an empty DCL deck chair for 6 hours and then get pissed when it gets moved. Some people are clueless.

Obnoxious oblivious island- it should BE- just sayin....

Yay for Disneyland!!
YES!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasMom View Post
I am doing an early morning Muir Woods tour that starts before the park opens, so it should be nice to be there before the crowds swarm in!

PERFECT!

Also, doing a SF city tour. And, finally, I am taking a one day - long day tour to Yosemite. I know it's going to be a long day and that I will miss a lot, but this is all I can do this trip considering all the other things I'm doing and will then need to get back to work. I've been to Yosemite before and plan to return for several days another time, but just didn't want to totally miss it this time! The tour company, for all of these, uses small vans with a maximum of around 9 or 10 people, I think, so it's not a big bus thing.

Also perfect! Love the small tours!

Your newest photos are gorgeous. Just love the tree enormous trees! Hope Timmy feels better soon!
Thanks- and he did as soon as we got in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
SOOO Beautiful! I need to do this trip
YUP!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #637
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I like it. Let's go with squoze.

EXCELLENT!

But surely you have magical skillz to make a bedroom appear.

I don't and stop calling me Shirley.

Ever heard of the art of crop-dusting? It's usually meant for people who stop in the middle of the row in Disney auditoriums, but I can find an application here.

Yes, and you would think with all of the crop dusting practice and ammo they all have my men would have been right on it, but AGAIN we needed YOUR skilll and expertise to show us how it should be done in Yosemite-

Wow! They've seen us regress all the way from Beethoven to Bieber.

Ohhh...that is soooo not right!

Now I know where to go during the zombie apocalypse.

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

Cool! Hard to believe it's actually alive.

It is why they can get pummeled by lightening and still survive, like the clothespin tree.

YES!! On our way to DL- otherwise known as the whole reason we went to CA in the first place, lol.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #638
podsnel

We were in our car and headed south to Santa Clarita for the night. This worked well for us since we were right at the south entrance to Yosemite. When you finally get out of the park, the first town you go through is Oakhurst. I am mentioning this because if you are going to Yosemite and want to stay in Oakhurst at any of their Yosemite accomodations- well, you are going to be really far away from the park. So keep that in mind when you are looking-

So the drive is 41 through Fresno to 99 to 5, and takes about 4 1/2 hours.
Most of it looks like this-

Click to play-

Until it starts looking like this instead-

Click to play-

No matter how any of this looks, it is POWERFULLY HOT- make no mistake, it's dry heat for sure, but it's 115 degrees of dry heat. UNTIL...you get to something called the Grapevine, and then the temperature drops like 30 degrees! It is wild!! Somewhere in our travels, we stopped for some In-n-Out (I almost forgot!!!)

Which was awesome as ever. Then it was back to-

Click to play-

I texted Allison to let her know we were on our way through the Grapevine (it's her favorite) and also Jenny and Drea to say- we are on our way to Southern Cali baby!

We had decided to stay the night in Santa Clarita for a couple of reasons- we would only have an hour and a half the next morning to drive to DL, and we did not have to rush to get out of Yosemite on our last day there in case we wanted to SQUOZE in one last hike that day (which we OBVIOUSLY did not do because of you-know-who). I personally like to rack up Hilton Honors points whenever possible (or Marriott, or Hyatt) and really like Hampton Inns (the beds are so comfy!) so that's where we picked to stay. It was RIGHT off the highway and WOW- it was the nicest Hampton Inn I have EVER stayed in! http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...LHX/index.html

Before we checked in, though, we stopped at a Walmart to pick up some snacks and beverages for our upcoming 5 night stay at GCV. Mostly, we were all tired and looking forward to relaxing in the hotel room for the night.

The couch pulled out into a bed, that is where the Ts were going.

There was a full moon on this night, it lit up the sky like the sun!

Happy at last-

We turned on the TV and actually had a really nice night laughing at Steve Colbert and John Oliver who was subbing for John Stewart- man, he was HILARIOUS!!!

Lights were out EARLY- we were going to DISNEYLAND in the morning!

Last edited by podsnel; 06-19-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #639
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Thank you so much for the awesome updates!! Yay! I don't have to wonder any longer what route you took to get to DLR! So glad you stayed at the GC! We are going to stay there in November.

Any reason you didn't take the PCH down? It does add a lot of time to the trip and you gave yourselves plenty of time in Yosemite.

I'll be checking often for the next updates! Thank you!!!!

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #640
podsnel

After waking up and eating the BEST complimentary Hampton Inn breakfast we had ever had (I am tellin you, this Hampton was awesome!), we said goodbye-

And hopped on the highway south to Anaheim. The traffic was not so bad, we had made sure to depart at 9am after rush hour. It was not very long at all it seemed before we saw

and then on the city streets

and even better (this actually reminded me of Universal in Orlando, lol)

We passed Paradise Pier-

before arriving at our destination for the next 5 nights

As expected, I was crying.

For a Disneyfan who has never been, going to Disneyland is like going to the Mothership. I was HOME.

We unloaded with the Bell Hop and valet parked the car, then stepped inside the Grand Californian to register and gape in AWE at the lobby.

Everything- everyTHING- every last detail here is beautiful. Grand indeed.

Our 1 BDRM villa was not ready yet, but that was fine, because we had our swimsuits on under our clothes and we were ready for a day of RnR by the glorious pool...

Click to play

To be cont'd....

Old 06-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #641
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Thank you so much for the awesome updates!! Yay! I don't have to wonder any longer what route you took to get to DLR! So glad you stayed at the GC! We are going to stay there in November.

You are going to LOVE it- we did not want to leave and I can't wait to return!

Any reason you didn't take the PCH down? It does add a lot of time to the trip and you gave yourselves plenty of time in Yosemite.

I'll be checking often for the next updates! Thank you!!!!
Good question! we had done that the last time we were in CA- drove from SF to Carmel, then down the coast to the Hearst Castle, and then on to stay in Santa Barbara with my friend, Stephen, and his crazy-a wife. We LOVEd it, and will definitely return, but we knew our kids would really appreciate hiking in Yosemite over a drive down the coast and a Hearst Castle tour (which, for the record, was FASCINATING and I VERY VERY highly recommend!).
Old 06-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #642
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

I went to Disneyland twice as a kid before I ever went to WDW and I haven't been back yet. I know what it felt to experience WDW after DL, but I can't wait to see your reaction to the reverse!

Did you have any trouble getting GCV at 7 months?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #643
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
I went to Disneyland twice as a kid before I ever went to WDW and I haven't been back yet. I know what it felt to experience WDW after DL, but I can't wait to see your reaction to the reverse!

Did you have any trouble getting GCV at 7 months?
My reaction was basically cry...walk 2 feet...cry some more...walk to feet...cry again...you get the idea.

And no, I did not have an issue at 7 months- but- it was late August (kids are back in school) and it was AFTER D23- more on that in a bit. I think date and checking in mid-week (not on a friday or Saturday) were helpful.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #644
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Yay you've made it to Disneyland!
Isn't just the most amazing place. I've visited twice and have totally fallen in love. I'm really hoping I can get back for a couple of nights this year
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #645
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Yay you've made it to Disneyland!

YES!! Longest TR ever!!

Isn't just the most amazing place. I've visited twice and have totally fallen in love. I'm really hoping I can get back for a couple of nights this year
I want to go back with Sean- he is obsessed with the DL App on my ipad- I want to take him so badly- maybe even next year.... I can see why you have fallen in love- it is so intimate.

And congratulations on your Degree, I am very impressed! I never noticed before, or is that tag new?

Last edited by podsnel; 06-19-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: