Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #586
MEK
DIS Veteran

Oh wow - that lodge is simply gorgeous! How absolutely fabulous. The views are just breathtaking. I'm sure it was hard to leave that paradise. Stunning!

What a nice comp for your broken handle. I'll take it!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #587
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

All caught up again, Ellen!

Such a shame, Timmy did not feel any better, but your day looks great. And how nice of the hotel to treat you to breakfast!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #588
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
What a relaxing way to spend your evening!
It was nice.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Sorry I interrupted the report for deer poop.

I would expect no less from you, lol....

That sunset is stunning. Just wow. . And what a gorgeous resort all lit up. Perfect evening in my opinion.
It was very nice- so pretty to just hang out and watch the cloudy sky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Oh Lord! I wouldn't want to do that drive pulling a trailer either! There are other beautiful places that don't involve that drive Your comments reminded me of the old Lucy movie where they were on their honeymoon pulling the "Long, Long Trailer" and she was collecting and hiding rocks in the cabinets from every stop. Almost fell off the mountain trailer first!

They actually filmed that movie in Yosemite! I have a pic of it in a book about the Ahwahnee-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LINOoidixfU#t=151

It is amazing! Jim and I sat and cried together at the end.

See how dangerous it is to camp in Yosemite!! LOL!

Love that story!

Yikes! I was thinking I would like to do that pyramid climb some day- never thinking about getting down! I am terrible on stairs - I agree - good thing you didn't do the climb.
Going up is easy- it is when you turn around at the top and realize it is basically a ladder and you need to go down fa\cing out instead of in that the problems begin. Most of them you can't climb anymore- Tulum is off limits now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Nice update again! Thanks for the tour Were those deer real or stuffed? I thought, "funny taxidermy pose" then wondered if they were real. Too bad Timmy wasn't making it - bad dinner, lost tour, but the night looks like it was salvaged in a great way! AND FWIW I believe you about the bear!
Real deer! Just hangin out! And thank you for believing me. I DID see it, and it made me spooked to walk around back there after that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Your pictures are stunning! I can only imagine what it was like in person.

Thanks so much for the updates!
You are welcome, and trust me, it is MUCH more impressive in person!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #589
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Thanks for thinking of me! I'm not much of a fisherman . . . BUT I think I will sign up for the Vancouver Living Social deals - good idea. Maybe I'll find one for whale watching.
LOL!!! You know why I said that? I was on CC and saw a post from someone who sounded JUST like you- and they said they really wanted to go fisjhing for the DH in ALaska- I almost posted "Pooh, is that you?" but then chickened out on the off chance it wasn't you and I would just look like a weirdo- Good thing I kept my comments to myself! But I guess I forgot I never confirmed it was you (or wasn't you) so had it in my head you wanted to fish in Alaska.

Quote:
RIC to SFO = $439! I KNOW I have a problem. But to get it fixed, I would need therapy, which costs money, which means fewer trips. So, I will remain certifiable!

Note to self for my eventual Ahwahnee trip: Break faucet handle for free food.

Jodie
Is $439 good for you or bad? I have no idea! From here that would be average in the summer, I think- but you could do better in other seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Oh I am sad you turned around but I totally totally get it! And you know what, going down is harder on the quads for sure and depending on the stairs, far scarier!

I wasn't worried about my quads, I was worried about getting vertigo and freezing in place or falling down, lol!

Sad that Timmy was sick. Boy do I know EXACTLY what you mean by the "best of" and then the opposite.

Ah yes, I am sure you do....

LOVE love love the stained glass. Wow. Cancelling the tour was definitely the right call, sounds like a lovely evening and just what everyone needed. Guess you'll have to go back to see the stars!

As the night went on, we could not even or barely see Glacier Point from the valley (it is visible from the Ahwahnee)- but still sad we didn't go up there that night, although it did give us some much needed rest.

No shortage of salmon themed

ANYTHING

in Alaska. Including Plates. Actually there was a neat art gallery in Ketchikan that had some if I recall....better than the same touristy stuff we saw everywhere....
Funny you say that, because (I am sure this will shock you, lol) I have been doing alot of online pre-shopping especially looking for the stores that sell the Made in ALaska merch. I figure if I pre-shop, it will take less time when I am actually there, so Pods won't get as aggrivated with me (he hates shopping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Too bad he was not feeling well.
Okay after watching the video, I would NOT climb it. LOl
Too bad you didnít walk up.
Nice pics.
The tour looked really nice.
Ooh nice plates.
That tree trunk is pretty impressive.
What a lovely chat with her.
Too bad you had to cancel the stargazing part. A little info would have been helpful form him.
Nice they comped you breakfast for the shower handle.
The sky looked so pretty.
Great updates and pics.
Thanks! I will walk up someday- I hope! And that pottery was gorgeous- there were so many beautiful things in that store. It was very nice about the breakfast- they were great about everything at the Ahwahnee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
More beautiful pictures; looks like you have a lovely night, even though you didn't see the stars. What a gorgeous place!

That was VERY generous of them to do that for you, with the breakfast! How nice!
It was very nice, Ms. 5K! Hope you are still enjoying yourself in WDW-
Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #590
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Everything is so beautiful and interesting. I would love to just spend even one day in that area and take pictures to my hearts content!!!
Even in a whole day you would only scratch the surface- there is soooooo much rugged beauty in Yosemite- no wonder Ansel Adams was there for so long and still wasn't done I am sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
You are an evil Mommy, just like me!

Is there another way??

Now, I know you are of my people!

Of course!!!

I was gonna say...that would have to be some Christmas tree! You would have had to bring a Sequoia home with you.
Maybe good for Times Square-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I still have to read and comment on your update but to answer your question about Denny - he hasn't golfed in years so I know he will pass. But thank you for thinking of him.

No problem!

So - our plans - well first of all we will not have a park pass. We are going to do Universal studios a couple days.

That will be fun!

October 21st is actually our 25th anniversary and I have Cali Grille for that night. I also booked Kona and the 18th and T-REx on the 19th. That's all I've done because I wasn't sure when MNSSHP was.

Here are our ADRs-
10/19 Le Cellier at 8:40
10/21 GFC at 9:45am while guys golf
10/21 CG!!! at 7:25 (don't worry- we won't crash your romantic celebration)
10/22 probably HoB
10/23 Breakfast at Captain's Grill (want a sit down not a buffet before the cruise- this is currently the only one offered because Kouzzina is closing) at 9:55 am- then a ride to the port!

They finally release dates. We can go on the 19th or the 21st. Do you know when you are going yet?

I don't think we are going- Pods and I have been 2x with the kids and not sure how the others feel about it- will need to check.

I was thinking the 19th since our anniversary is the 21st.

We will probably go to Universal on the 20th and 22nd. We will also do a water park while we are there.

Aquatica? Ooh...looks so cool!

Do you have dinner plans for the 2oth or 22nd outside the parks somewhere?

The dining is all messed up again online (just like when I was booking this at 6 months- GRRRRRRR.....so still need to get a table at HoB for the 22nd- want to join us?

I'm also considering doing the segway tour at FW. Any interest in that?

Not sure- kind of want to do that with the kids after tim turns 16 next year- they love Segways!

Am I babbling?
Not at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Oh wow - that lodge is simply gorgeous! How absolutely fabulous. The views are just breathtaking. I'm sure it was hard to leave that paradise. Stunning!

Yea, it was hard, but Timmy was REALLY a mess that last day AND we WERE going to DL, so...not so hard to leave as you would normally think!

What a nice comp for your broken handle. I'll take it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
All caught up again, Ellen!

Such a shame, Timmy did not feel any better, but your day looks great. And how nice of the hotel to treat you to breakfast!
Yes- and I will have to write about that tomorrow! Need to get out of here now! My big fat butt needs to walk!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #591
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Timmy was not feeling any better (he did not feel like he had a fever to me, I think he just had a cold and was feeling run down. And SUPER DUPER cranky.)
Cranky? C'mon, dude, it's not like your mom made you ride a bike or something.

Quote:
This is what adorns the ceilings' beams (although most are replicas- at some point the originals were painted over- DUH! who did that????).

The details are amazing, and beautiful.

Quote:
The Ahwahnee Dining room, often described as the most beautiful in any Nat'l Park-
That's certainly a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Is that deer/buck pooping?

Quote:
UH-OH-

sigh....Timmy is the best of days most days, but every so often, he is also the worst of days. Guess which day he had that day!
If looks could kill...

Quote:
We went up to the tour desk in the lodge at the Falls. Where the employee was of little or no help. We asked if it would be cloudy/hazy/smokey up there? Did he have any reports? Was there any info available AT ALL??? His reply was a resounding maybe, maybe not, hard for me to tell from back here behind this desk and I for SURE am not making any more effort for you than that.
I'd say there's a 50% chance of scattered weather up there.

Quote:
It did make for some interesting skies, but I can honestly say that while we were in Yosemite, I did not have the pleasure of viewing even one star, much less a sky completely filled with them. sigh...
Stupid smoke. Now you have to go back.

Quote:
Usually the full moon lights up the Valley- so much so, that they have a full moon bike ride (gee, do ya think I should have asked Tim to go? LOL!).

Quote:
But we had gotten a phone call- there was a person from maintenance coming to fix the handle, and for all of our vast inconvenience (I mean- just kidding- it was not VAST at all, lol) it would be the honor of the Ahwahnee to treat us to breakfast in the morning in the Dining Room.

Quote:
And I SWEAR I saw a bear climb up into a tree- but to this day Pods claims it was the El Capitini seeing the bear and not anyone else.
Probably doing the same thing that deer was.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #592
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is $439 good for you or bad? I have no idea! From here that would be average in the summer, I think- but you could do better in other seasons.
Its a so-so price. I saw them at $350 a couple months ago. Funny about the fishing . . . DEF not a fisherman! Where does the term Pooh come from? Think I missed something (which isn't abnormal for me these days sadly).

Off topic - I said something to my kids about doing a 4 night on the Dream over Spring break 2015. I booked it a while back and didn't tell them. I also booked my mother and her hubbie in the connecting room (I haven't told them either). HUGE balcony aft rooms . . . So anyway, MY KIDS DON'T WANT TO GO! What!!?? My DSsoontobe17 says he wants to relax and do nothing over spring break, and MY DD14 only want to go if she can bring a friend (which isn't gonna happen). Unbelievable! What is wrong with these kids anyway????

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #593
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Great update! Those pics were fantastic. That's too bad you had to cancel your evening, but it sounds as if you wouldn't have seen much anyway.

I thought the deer was squatting for a poo too! It was the "look".

The worst thing about the pyramid steps for DH in Mexico - he wears size 15 shoes (he's 6'6"). So his feet were too long for the steps too! He even came down sitting on his butt too!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #594
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

All caught up again. I love your trip report especially since I live in California. I live about 4 hours from Yosemite and love reading your perspective on it. I've only stayed at Yosemite lodge or housekeeping so the ahwahnee looked nice. We've eaten at the bar and restaurant but never have stayed there. One of these days. I did write a review in tripadvisor under disneyfreak67. Now, off to find your fantasy trip report. Thanks for taking the time to share...

I've eaten at 75 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (30%)
I've eaten at 30 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (34%)
I've eaten at 30 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (41%)
I've eaten at 7 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 1 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)

Here's my list!

THEME PARKS
  • ANIMAL KINGDOM PARK
    • Flame Tree BBQ
    • Pizzafari
    • Rainforest Cafe
    • Restaurantosaurus
    • Tusker House
    • Yak & Yeti Counter Service
    • Yak & Yeti
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios
    • '50s Prime Time Cafe
    • ABC Commissary
    • Backlot Express
    • Brown Derby
    • Catalina Eddie's
    • Fairfax Fare
    • Feel the Force VIP Package (Fireworks Dessert Party)
    • Hollywood & Vine
    • Mama Melrose's
    • Min & Bill's Dockside Diner
    • Rosie's All-American Cafe
    • Sci-Fi Dine-In
    • Starring Rolls Cafe
    • Studio Catering Company
    • Toluca Legs Turkey Company
    • Toy Story Pizza Planet
  • Epcot
    • Coral Reef (Living Seas)
    • Electric Umbrella
    • Fountainview (Starbucks)
    • Garden Grill (The Land)
    • Sunshine Seasons (The Land)
    • Akershus Royal Banquet Hall (Norway)
    • Biergarten (Germany)
    • Boulangerie Patisserie (France)
    • Chefs de France (France)
    • Fife & Drum (American Adventure)
    • Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party
    • Katsura Grill (Japan)
    • Kringla Bakeri og Cafe (Norway)
    • La Cantina de San Angel (Mexico)
    • La Hacienda de San Angel (Mexico)
    • Le Cellier (Canada)
    • Liberty Inn (American Adventure)
    • Lotus Blossom Cafe (China)
    • Monsieur Paul (France)
    • Nine Dragons (China)
    • Odyssey
    • Restaurant Marrakesh (Morocco)
    • Rose and Crown (United Kingdom)
    • San Angel Inn (Mexico)
    • Sommerfest (Germany)
    • Spice Road (Morocco)
    • Tangierine Cafe (Morocco)
    • Teppan Edo (Japan)
    • Tokyo Dining (Japan)
    • Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar (Italy)
    • Tutto Italia (Italy)
    • Via Napoli (Italy)
    • Yorkshire County Fish Shop (United Kingdom)
  • Epcot Food & Wine Festival
    • Argentina
    • Australia
    • Belgium
    • Brewer's Collection
    • Canada
    • Caribbean Islands
    • Cheese
    • China
    • Craft Beers
    • Desserts & Champagne
    • Florida
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hawaii
    • Hops & Barley
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Morocco
    • New Zealand
    • Poland
    • Party for the Senses
    • Scandinavia
    • Singapore
    • South Africa
    • South Korea
    • Terra
  • Epcot Food & Garden Festival
    • Buttercup Cottage
    • Fleur De lys
    • Florida Fresh
    • Hanami
    • Intermissions Cafe
    • Jardin De Fiestas
    • Lotus House
    • Pineapple Promenade
    • Primavera Kitchen
    • The Smokehouse
    • Taste of Marrakesh
    • Urban Farm Eats
  • Magic Kingdom
    • Be Our Guest Lunch (Fantasyland)
    • Be Our Guest Dinner (Fantasyland)
    • Casey's Corner (Main Street USA)
    • Cinderella's Royal Table (Fantasyland)
    • Columbia Harbour House (Liberty Square)
    • Cosmic Ray's (Tomorrowland)
    • The Crystal Palace (Adventureland)
    • Diamond Horseshoe Review (Frontierland)
    • The Friar's Nook (Fantasyland)
    • Gaston's Tavern (Fantasyland)
    • Golden Oak Outpost (Frontierland)
    • Liberty Tree Tavern (Liberty Square)
    • The Lunching Pad (Tomorrowland)
    • Main Street Bakery (Starbucks)
    • Pecos Bill's (Frontierland)
    • Pinnochio Village Haus (Fantasyland)
    • The Plaza Restaurant (Main Street USA)
    • Sleepy Hollow
    • Tomorrowland Terrace (Tomorrowland)
    • Tomorrowland Terrace Wishes Dessert Party (Tomorrowland)
    • Tony's Town Square (Main Street USA)
    • Tortuga Tavern (Adventureland)
    • Frontierland Turkey Leg Cart
Water Parks
  • Blizzard Beach
    • Avalunch
    • The Cooling Hut
    • Lottawatta Lodge
    • The Warming Hut
  • Typhoon Lagoon
    • Leaning Palms
    • Lowtide Lou's
    • Surf Doggies
    • Typhoon Tilly's
    • Bodie's All American
    • Earl of Sandwich
    • Fulton's Crab House
    • Ghirardelli's
    • Marketplace Snacks
    • Pollo Campero
    • Rainforest Cafe
    • Starbucks
    • T-Rex
    • Wolfgang Puck Express
  • Pleasure Island
    • Cooke's of Dublin
    • Paradiso 37
    • Planet Hollywood
    • Portobello
    • Raglan Road
  • West Side
    • AMC 24 Pleasure Island Dining
    • Bongo's Cuban Cafe
    • Crossroads at House of Blues
    • Crossroads at House of Blues Sunday Brunch
    • Foodquest
    • Splitsville
    • Smokehouse at House of Blues
    • Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe
    • The Dining Room at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe
    • Wolfgang Puck Express
  • West Side Food Trucks
    • Fantasy Fare truck
    • Namaste Cafe truck
    • Superstar Catering truck
    • World Showcase of Flavors truck
Wide World of Sports
    • ESPN Grill
Resorts
  • All Star Movies
    • World Premiere
  • All Star Music
    • Intermission
  • All Star Sports
    • End Zone
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • Boma Flavors of Africa
    • Jiko: The Cooking Place
    • The Mara
    • Sanaa
  • Art of Animation
    • Landscapes of Flavors
  • Beach Club
    • Beach Club Marketplace
    • Beaches and Cream
    • Cape May Cafe
    • Hurricane Hanna's
  • Boardwalk
    • Big River Grille & Brewing Works
    • Boardwalk Bakery
    • Boardwalk Pizza Window
    • ESPN Club
    • Flying Fish
    • Kouzzina
  • Caribbean Beach
    • Old Port Royale
    • Shutters
  • Contemporary
    • California Grill
    • Chef Mickey's
    • Contempo Cafe
    • The Wave
    • Top of the World Lounge
  • Coronado Springs
    • Cafe Rix
    • Laguna Bar
    • Maya Grill
    • Pepper Market
    • Siesta's
  • Walt Disney World Dolphin
    • Cabana Bar and Beach Club
    • The Fountain
    • Fresh Mediterranean Market
    • Picabu Buffeteria
    • Shula's Steakhouse
    • Todd English's bluezoo
  • Fort Wilderness
    • Crockett's Tavern
    • Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review
    • Meadows Snack Bar
    • Mickey's Backyard BBQ
    • Trail's End Restaurant
  • Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
    • 1900 Park Fare
    • Citrico's
    • Garden View Lounge Afternoon Tea
    • Gasparilla Island Grill
    • Grand Floridian Cafe
    • Mizner's Lounge
    • My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea
    • Narcoossee's
    • Pool Bar
    • Victoria and Albert's
  • Old Key West
    • Goods to Go
    • Olivia's
    • Turtle Shack
  • Polynesian
    • Captain Cook's Snack Company
    • Kona Cafe
    • Kona Island Sushi Counter
    • 'Ohana
    • Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau
    • TambuLounge
  • Pop Century
    • Everything Pop
  • Port Orleans
    • Boatwright's
    • Riverside Mill Food Court
    • Sassagoula Flotworks & Food Factory
  • Saratoga Springs
    • Artist's Palette
    • Grandstand Pool Bar
    • Paddock Pool Grill
    • Turf Club
  • Shades of Green
    • Garden Gallery
    • Evergreen's
    • Mangino's Bistro
  • Walt Disney World Swan
    • Garden Grove Cafe
    • Il Mulino New York Trattoria
    • Kimonos Sushi Bar
    • Splash Grill
  • Vero Beach
    • Bleachers Bar and Grill
    • Green Cabin Room
    • Shutters
    • Sonya's
  • Wilderness Lodge
    • Artist Point
    • Roaring Fork
    • Territory Lounge
    • Whispering Canyon
  • Yacht Club
    • Captain's Grille
    • Crew's Cup Lounge
    • Yachtsman Steakhouse
The DVC/Timeshare Advantage
    • Cooked a quick in-room meal
    • Cooked a full sit-down meal in the villa
    • Cooked a meal using a resort BBQ grill

Bonus Points
  • Benihana's
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #595
podsnel

Our final day in Yosemite had arrived- while I finished packing up, and we all showered in our 100% perfect shower at the Ahwahnee (it had a handle and EVERYTHING!!!), our AMAZING breakfast of champions arrived.

I hope you're hungry-

3 egg omelet with ham and cheese $17.75

Raisin Brioche French Toast $14.25

Royal Arches Breakfast (two eggs any style, Has Browns, choice of bacon, ham, spanish or traditional sausage) $13.75

Happy Isles Eggs Benedict (Poached eggs, spinach, tomato, canadian bacon,hollandaise, english muffin, hash browns) $19

Homemade Muesli with hazlenuts and dates $7

Of course, coffee, OJ....wow- have to say, this was the best room service breakfast ever- everything was absolutely delicious, and thank goodness, also free. Thank you, Ahwahnee, for really REALLY delivering on the service end of the deal.

All packed up, bell services was called and we headed down and out, walking through the Ahwahnee one final time-

Do ya think JFK drank here? How about Queen Elizabeth?

Past the shop with all its beautiful merch- glad mine was being shipped home, that onyx stuff I bought was pretty heavy!

I ran out to get a pic of the front (which DUH is really the back)

Our chevy awaits!

Buh bye....

Hmmm...that sign at the beginning of the driveway does look so familiar, huh?

We piled into the car, and headed towards today's adventures- a quick stop at Tunnel View, followed by the glorious Glacier point, and then our final Yosemite destination- the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, after which we would be driving south and on our way to Disneyland.

So far, Timmy was having a good day. Must have been the room service. How long will the benefits of a free breakfast last for our favorite baby of the family??? Hmmmm...we shall see...next-

Last edited by podsnel; 05-13-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #596
podsnel

Before we go on, I want to post a couple of videos from the previous days' travels. This first one I think shows completely why I LOVE road trips with my family. That goofiness that kind of takes over the car when the question "are we there yet" doesn't have the answer you want. Ladies and gentlemen, I proudly give you my son, SPF Marble team Captain 2013-14.

Click to play

Oh yea, that was the trailer we were behind going into Yosemite in the beginning. This next one if from the Mist Trail, the stairs-

Click to play-

Ok- so to get to Glacier Point, you drive out of the Valley and head west passing by Tunnel View on the Wawona Road, then go south for a while before you head north, east and basically straight up to get to the tippy top, which is Glacier Point. It is quite a drive. Here is a map so you can see what I am referring to-

http://www.yosemitevacation.com/images/nps-ynp-map1.gif

Our first stop was Tunnel View. This is considered one of the quintesential view of Yosemite, as it provides a glimpse of nearly everything you could possibly want to see here. Many people much prefer to enter the park from the south because this is what they see on their way to the Valley- a very nice welcome to Yosemite (although in our case it is more of a say goodbye...)

Even with the sun glaring directly at us and the haze from the smoke, it is still magnificent, isn't it?

Over in the parking lot, Timmy seemed to be himself again!

click to play

Ugh. At least there weren't any signs that said keep off. And I am sure if someone had cracked their head open we could have found a hospital just around the corner, right? Ugh.

Next we went through the tunnel, obviously doing this backwards. See, the whole thing is that you are supposed to drive the other way, and when you exit the tunnel you see the majesty of that view before you.

click to play

So, it was time for the ride up to Glacier Point....and O.M.G. were we sooooo glad we did not drive up here on our own the night before- DEFINITELY that bus would have been the way to go. I think we were going about 5 mph.

Click to play-

Oh yea- I apologize for laughing too much- not nervous laughter at all, lol. Man, I REALLy hate the sound of my own voice- but at least I'm happy- or scared $@!#less, take your pick.

Click to play-

Yes, tyler, we have to go higher....until FINALLY we were at....

Was it worth the drive?

Oh yeahhhhhhhhh......

Sorry guys, but I need to run- back with more natural beauty another time.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #597
irenep
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for posting your TR!

I just found it and have spent a rainy afternoon catching up on your family's adventures and getting into the mood for our upcoming trip to Yosemite (on the way to Aulani) in a few weeks time.

This will be our third time in Yosemite - as you said, it's just so beautiful

Looking forward to reading more as you head to DL (we will be going there on the way home)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #598
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Cranky? C'mon, dude, it's not like your mom made you ride a bike or something.

This comment made me snort coffee out of my nose when I read it- not kidding.

It was probably someone related to Pods. And when the decorator yelled athim, he probably said, "Well I didn't know!"

Not that anything like that has ever happened here, I'm just making a guess...

The details are amazing, and beautiful.

If looks could kill...

Oh...nottttt gooooood......

I'd say there's a 50% chance of scattered weather up there.

Excellent! You're hired!

Stupid smoke. Now you have to go back.

Darn it!

Probably doing the same thing that deer was.
No comment.

Quote:
Its a so-so price. I saw them at $350 a couple months ago. Funny about the fishing . . . DEF not a fisherman! Where does the term Pooh come from? Think I missed something (which isn't abnormal for me these days sadly).

I would have just said that to reference a Disney friend- and I feel your pain- getting older is NOT so great-

Off topic - I said something to my kids about doing a 4 night on the Dream over Spring break 2015. I booked it a while back and didn't tell them. I also booked my mother and her hubbie in the connecting room (I haven't told them either). HUGE balcony aft rooms . . . So anyway, MY KIDS DON'T WANT TO GO! What!!?? My DSsoontobe17 says he wants to relax and do nothing over spring break, and MY DD14 only want to go if she can bring a friend (which isn't gonna happen). Unbelievable! What is wrong with these kids anyway????

Jodie
I am SO SAD for you!!! Do NOTHING over have fun with a bunch of kids in the sun on a cruise???? Are you SURE they belong to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Great update! Those pics were fantastic. That's too bad you had to cancel your evening, but it sounds as if you wouldn't have seen much anyway.

I hear there was a 50% chance of that-

I thought the deer was squatting for a poo too! It was the "look".

Maybe he has prostate issues?

The worst thing about the pyramid steps for DH in Mexico - he wears size 15 shoes (he's 6'6"). So his feet were too long for the steps too! He even came down sitting on his butt too!
I can absolutely see where that would be a HUGE problem! And the steps are all different widths- it is not like they were molded from concrete. Those were some hairy scary steps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
All caught up again. I love your trip report especially since I live in California. I live about 4 hours from Yosemite and love reading your perspective on it. I've only stayed at Yosemite lodge or housekeeping so the ahwahnee looked nice. We've eaten at the bar and restaurant but never have stayed there. One of these days. I did write a review in tripadvisor under disneyfreak67. Now, off to find your fantasy trip report. Thanks for taking the time to share...
I would stay at the Lodge- or in a trailer someone else hauled up to one of the camps- as long as it wasn't August. Although my friend, Stephen (who it is almost time to meet!) says he always camps there in a tent and the nights are very cool- but I was taking no chances. Ya know, I probably read your TA review! I read TONS of them when I was trying to decide if it was worth it to eat there or not (I guess you can tell how that decision turned out). I will have to look you up and see!

The Ahwahnee was running some specials recently- I received an email- not summer stays (obviously) but there were much lower prices in the fall, from what I remember-

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenep View Post
Thank you so much for posting your TR!

You are so welcome!

I just found it and have spent a rainy afternoon catching up on your family's adventures and getting into the mood for our upcoming trip to Yosemite (on the way to Aulani) in a few weeks time.

WOW! You are doing 2 summers worth of our vacations in one shot! (We went to Hawaii in August 2012- Aulani was fantastic- is it your first visit to Hawaii? Did you read my TR from that trip too?).

This will be our third time in Yosemite - as you said, it's just so beautiful

Completely stunning.

Looking forward to reading more as you head to DL (we will be going there on the way home)
Love DL- so much easier to get around, PLUS I got to see a lot of people I know/wanted to meet- so it was excellent! I hope you will ride Space Mountain- OH! And Indiana Jones! Those were my two favorites. Really really fantastic.

BTW- I see you are Scottish- one of my BFs is as well, and brought us all over once- so lovely in your country!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #599
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Room service looks delicious. I love eggs in my pjs. Well not in my pjs.

That drive would have out me over the edge, pun intended.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #600
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Nice comp breakfast! Thanks for sharing the video clips - fun to see your family personalities! The view is amazing from up there, huh? I'm always amazed at how small the trees look on the mountain sides. It seems like evergreens are so much more individually defined than deciduous trees when looking from a distance - or maybe I just need to wear my glasses Love your nervous laughter!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: