Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #571
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Back in room

the shower was still in disrepair. But we had gotten a phone call- there was a person from maintenance coming to fix the handle, and for all of our vast inconvenience (I mean- just kidding- it was not VAST at all, lol) it would be the honor of the Ahwahnee to treat us to breakfast in the morning in the Dining Room.

WOW! I will take a broken handle ANY day for that awesome comp!

I explained that we were planning on checking out in the morning and trying to get a semi-early start out, so would it be ok to have room service, instead?

Absolutely, please. It would be the Ahwahnee's pleasure.

I love the Ahwahnee. LOVE the Ahwahnee. This is how it is DONE!

So the guy came up, apologized profusely to us, and fixed the handle.

Such a bother, huh?

Pods and I grabbed a glass of wine from the room, and went back outside-

And watched the fiery sky-

And I SWEAR I saw a bear climb up into a tree- but to this day Pods claims it was the El Capitini seeing the bear and not anyone else.

We were laying around in a couple of adirondack chairs, drinking our wine, enjoying the peaceful valley. It was such a nice night.

Eventually we called it a night, and headed back through the lobby. This is the Christmas Ornament I purchased- well, this is what it looks like!

And this is a very bad pic of the elevator lobby's fireplace- the Basket-Swirl-Mural above it was painted by Jeanette Dyer Spencer.

I got some packing done and, as per usual on this vacation, hit the sack like a ton of bricks.

Tomorrow- Glacier point AND some migty Giant Sequoias in the Mariposa Grove....

podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #572
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

What a relaxing way to spend your evening!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #573
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
No- maybe peeing. I'm not sure.

Sorry I interrupted the report for deer poop.

That sunset is stunning. Just wow. . And what a gorgeous resort all lit up. Perfect evening in my opinion.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #574
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I could def deal with Glamping, but could NOT EVER deal with driving an RV into Yosemite on the 120- we remarked on our drive in how brave and crazy those people were- the RVs barely fit the road!
Oh Lord! I wouldn't want to do that drive pulling a trailer either! There are other beautiful places that don't involve that drive Your comments reminded me of the old Lucy movie where they were on their honeymoon pulling the "Long, Long Trailer" and she was collecting and hiding rocks in the cabinets from every stop. Almost fell off the mountain trailer first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LINOoidixfU#t=151

Quote:
Hi there! No, we did not make it to the museum this time- if the boys had gone to a baseball game my plan was to go there then, but they ended up going to see the Angels in LA instead (the Giants were out of own when we visited SF). More reasons to return! Was it amazing?? I would probably cry the whole way through...
It is amazing! Jim and I sat and cried together at the end.

Quote:
LOL! I was good with going up- we had been going up the whole time! The Mist Trail is just up up up- I was afraid because there was no rail- I really should have gone.

OMG! This made me laugh so hard, and I will say why in a second, but are you ok? I sure hope so! So here is what your misfortune reminded me of- My FIL was a character- he was a great, great man, an awesome Dad (it is why Pods and his brothers are great dads, too- because they learned from the best). Anyway, it reminded me of him because he fell in the attic when he was up there fixing something, and fell right THROUGH THE CEILING AND LANDED IN A RECLINER!!!! Hand to God, it is true. Not a scratch on him. It was SO KARL. Really miss that man-
Love that story!

Quote:
He was such a funny funny guy, my FIL! Really miss him.

I climbed up the pyramid at Tulum- up was easy- but down! Holy CRAP!!!! I sat on every step- it was terrifying!!!!!!!!! I kept thinking about all those virgin sacrifices at the top they would just throw down.... I kept thinkin they had it easy because they only had to climb up, lol. Chichen Itza is a much bigger pyramid- after Tulum I knew that no way would I ever go up that one! You're a smart girl!

Not sure you can climb either anymore, but there is another one that allows it, I think. Just in case you have any regrets not going in the past, lol.
Yikes! I was thinking I would like to do that pyramid climb some day- never thinking about getting down! I am terrible on stairs - I agree - good thing you didn't do the climb.

Last edited by MAGICFOR2; 04-30-2014 at 03:50 PM.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #575
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Nice update again! Thanks for the tour Were those deer real or stuffed? I thought, "funny taxidermy pose" then wondered if they were real. Too bad Timmy wasn't making it - bad dinner, lost tour, but the night looks like it was salvaged in a great way! AND FWIW I believe you about the bear!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #576
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are stunning! I can only imagine what it was like in person.

Thanks so much for the updates!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #577
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey- I saw a Living Social deal in Vancouver that made me think of you- it was to go sturgeon fishing- I know it's early and would expire before next summer, but maybe you want to watch for it-
Thanks for thinking of me! I'm not much of a fisherman . . . BUT I think I will sign up for the Vancouver Living Social deals - good idea. Maybe I'll find one for whale watching.
pillow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #578
pillow
DIS Veteran

RIC to SFO = $439! I KNOW I have a problem. But to get it fixed, I would need therapy, which costs money, which means fewer trips. So, I will remain certifiable!

Note to self for my eventual Ahwahnee trip: Break faucet handle for free food.

Jodie
pillow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #579
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Oh I am sad you turned around but I totally totally get it! And you know what, going down is harder on the quads for sure and depending on the stairs, far scarier!

Sad that Timmy was sick. Boy do I know EXACTLY what you mean by the "best of" and then the opposite.

LOVE love love the stained glass. Wow. Cancelling the tour was definitely the right call, sounds like a lovely evening and just what everyone needed. Guess you'll have to go back to see the stars!

No shortage of salmon themed

ANYTHING

in Alaska. Including Plates. Actually there was a neat art gallery in Ketchikan that had some if I recall....better than the same touristy stuff we saw everywhere....
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #580
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Too bad he was not feeling well.
Okay after watching the video, I would NOT climb it. LOl
Too bad you didnít walk up.
Nice pics.
The tour looked really nice.
Ooh nice plates.
That tree trunk is pretty impressive.
What a lovely chat with her.
Too bad you had to cancel the stargazing part. A little info would have been helpful form him.
Nice they comped you breakfast for the shower handle.
The sky looked so pretty.
Great updates and pics.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #581
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

More beautiful pictures; looks like you have a lovely night, even though you didn't see the stars. What a gorgeous place!

That was VERY generous of them to do that for you, with the breakfast! How nice!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #582
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

What a wonderful relaxing day and evening
It sounds like you made the right decision cancelling the tour. It would have been awful to travel all that way and not be able to have seen anything
Your lovely evening at the hotel was by far the best idea :-)
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #583
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Everything is so beautiful and interesting. I would love to just spend even one day in that area and take pictures to my hearts content!!!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #584
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:

It was also a full moon tonight- but I think those activities were cancelled. Usually the full moon lights up the Valley- so much so, that they have a full moon bike ride (gee, do ya think I should have asked Tim to go? LOL!).
You are an evil Mommy, just like me!

Quote:

And I SWEAR I saw a bear climb up into a tree- but to this day Pods claims it was the El Capitini seeing the bear and not anyone else.
Now, I know you are of my people!

Quote:

Eventually we called it a night, and headed back through the lobby. This is the Christmas Ornament I purchased- well, this is what it looks like!
I was gonna say...that would have to be some Christmas tree! You would have had to bring a Sequoia home with you.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #585
MEK
DIS Veteran

I still have to read and comment on your update but to answer your question about Denny - he hasn't golfed in years so I know he will pass. But thank you for thinking of him.

So - our plans - well first of all we will not have a park pass. We are going to do Universal studios a couple days.

October 21st is actually our 25th anniversary and I have Cali Grille for that night. I also booked Kona and the 18th and T-REx on the 19th. That's all I've done because I wasn't sure when MNSSHP was.

They finally release dates. We can go on the 19th or the 21st. Do you know when you are going yet?

I was thinking the 19th since our anniversary is the 21st.

We will probably go to Universal on the 20th and 22nd. We will also do a water park while we are there.

Do you have dinner plans for the 2oth or 22nd outside the parks somewhere?

I'm also considering doing the segway tour at FW. Any interest in that?

Am I babbling?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: