Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #556
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

silly girl...going up is the hard part...coming down is easy! it looks stunning and every time you post I feel the need to go west!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #557
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't go up those stairs either. After our trip to the Grand Canyon I can't do that high stuff anymore. I have this picture in my head of careening over the side. Heck last week I almost fell out of the attic. All my DH could do was yell at me for cracking the ceiling!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #558
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Ellen,

Your pictures are stunning! Hope Timmy felt better.

Jill in CO
Thanks- but, he didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm glad to see you're back on this TR! Very beautiful pictures from the hike. But for the amount you're payong a night that shower handle should have been fixed!

Yea, well, it was worth it in the end-

Well now a May trip is out of the question. We booked a B2B out of San Diego the 15-20 next May, and we have WDW and the Dream in mid April so maybe early June before the schools get out.

We leave in 10 days for our SW road trip. This will be an adventure!
This is going to be incredible! Something very different! EXCELLENT! Looking forward to hearing about it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Beautiful pictures! That stinks that Timmy was not feeling well. Hope he got over it quickly and that you were all able to take a shower!
Showers eventually, Timmy...not so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Poor Timmy. You can tell in that pic he's just not feeling good at all.

Yea.....

Ok, now this made me laugh out loud. Probably because I'm a divorce attorney and one of the last pieces of advice I give my clients before I send them on their way is to remind them how quick it was to get married and how god awful long it was to get divorced and that, should they ever contemplate marriage again, to really think about it good and long. I hope they listen but sometimes doubt they do.

Well, I REALLY wish you had told Steven that about 15 years ago!!

Beautiful pictures, as always!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
Poor Timmy! Nothing worse than not feeling good, and being away from home.

I agree- it was not fun for anyone-

More GORGEOUS pictures!! I know this is going to shock you, but I am not a roughing it in the great outdoors kinda girl , but I would love to see all this. Incredible!
REALLY???? I am SHOCKED!!

Yea, I know...you like that soft comfy bed over there at the Yacht Club- I saw you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
M-E-G-A update!

Beautiful, beautiful pictures of your hike. I really need to plan to stop there when we finally () go back to Cali!
After Tom's spa visit we have started taking on hikes again - and that would be right up my street!

Thanks for sharing, Ellen!
So glad you are hiking again- it is so much fun to explore!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #559
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Poor Timmy! so sorry he had to sit out that beautiful hike. It really does look like a gorgeous area.

I was so sad for him- this was going to be the highlight of Yosemite for him, I just knew it!

Yeah - I would not have been a fan of going back down those stairs. I have gotten so uncoordinated that I prefer to walk on level ground. I feel like I am a trip and fall just waiting to happen.

Good to know! Hey- what did you book for Oct? At WDW? We just all booked our plane tickets- and have a few ADRs- Le Cellier, Cali Grill, GFC for breakfast just the girls on Tuesday when the guys golf- did I ask you if Denny golfs and if he would want to with our guys on 10/21?

Too bad the other boys didn't make it to the emerald pool. I bet that's stunning.

I am sure Pods and I will return at some point, and we will make it there when we do- really want to go back to SF and have a long romantic weekend- it is the best city.

Ugh to the broken shower. No fun at all!
Yea- but there was a silver lining to our inconvenience....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Oh yeah, we left you stranded in California! Nice updates! I love your Yosemite pics! Don't beat yourself up about the steps - sometimes caution is a good thing. Now if you want to be out in nature, how about Glamping? You rent a plush RV, you sleep in a real bed, you have a microwave and a coffee maker and a DVD and a flushing toilet and shower, comfy furniture. Then you put your chairs outside and enjoy your coffee while you smell the air and check out the view and have lots of family fun! ( I may have a little experience, although we owned our RV) I hope Timmy got to feeling better!
I could def deal with Glamping, but could NOT EVER deal with driving an RV into Yosemite on the 120- we remarked on our drive in how brave and crazy those people were- the RVs barely fit the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsusanmb View Post
What a great trip report! Loved it, great pictures. Living in PA, SF is so beautiful and Muir Woods, awesome. Have been there and need to revisit. Did you get to the Disney Museum? We happened upon it on opening day. Yosemite is some place I need to visit. Thanks for making my morning enjoyable!
Hi there! No, we did not make it to the museum this time- if the boys had gone to a baseball game my plan was to go there then, but they ended up going to see the Angels in LA instead (the Giants were out of own when we visited SF). More reasons to return! Was it amazing?? I would probably cry the whole way through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Every time you post an update with pics, I go check flight prices to SFO - lol. Your trip reports are DANGEROUS!

Jodie
The first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.... I know- TRs always do that to me, too! How do you think I end up everywhere? LOL- It's all the reading on here!

Hey- I saw a Living Social deal in Vancouver that made me think of you- it was to go sturgeon fishing- I know it's early and would expire before next summer, but maybe you want to watch for it-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Um...

crazy, crazy, crazy...

It certainly is a beautiful spot.

SO nice-

That stinks. There are laws against being sick on vacation.

I know! And the worst part was that it was Timmy. If it had been Tyler, he would have just sucked it up- Timmy was DYING I tell ya!

Holy cow...there's quite a story there! Anyway, I'll take the road up there, thanks.

WAIT until you see what Glacier Point is- you will FREAK OUT!!!!!!

Say it ain't so! Or at least that the others took the camera so they could get pictures up there.
You think there's anyone else in my house that would take a picture?? Have you learned NOTHING about my family in 20 TRs???
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #560
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
Glamping actually sounds like fun. Is it really called Glamping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
Ticker gone. I loved my "me, myself and I" trip to AKV. Loved it so much that I think I am going to do it again next year, probably in May though instead of March. I have only a few days I can steal away in March whereas in May I can take an entire week. Hopefully some of my disboards friends will be there at the same time. This time a co-worker was visiting so I actually hung out with her and her family a bit. As much as I enjoyed the "me" time, it was also fun to hook up with others for a few meals and drinks.

I will be there with Joan and Evie and Loni May8-10 before our 5 night Magic cruise- maybe even at AKV! So happy you enjoyed yourself!

No, I did not know you were an only child. We had planned on more children but after the adoption expenses we had to wait to build up our funds and by that time Sarah was old enough to be included in the decision. When we asked if she wanted a sibling she was adamant in her decision. She did not want siblings, period. She still feels the same. And she is a social butterfly, she just likes being an only child.
So funny- I am the opposite- I used to BEG for siblings! Is she still happy she is alone? That's great that she is so happy about it- I definitely was not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Wow the scenery looks beautiful !!! So sad one of your babies was sick !!!That breakfast looked pretty good to me !!!!
Yes, it was very sad he din't feel well so couldn't fully appreciate all the amazing nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wonderful updates and photos Ellen
I can't tell you how much this is making me want to go back
I do too. There is just not enough vacation time or enough cash to do it all, though, so will have to live on the memories as long as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Great pics in your update Ellen! I hope Timmy got to feeling better quickly. Can't wait to read more. And as for a functioning shower...c'mon people at the hotel...a bed and a working bathroom...that's what you're paying for!!
Thanks! It was so easy to take good pics there- it was so beautiful, and so inspiring. Could not believe what you were seeing half the time, and that it was real!

And not to worry about the shower- it all worked out and then some....
Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #561
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
silly girl...going up is the hard part...coming down is easy! it looks stunning and every time you post I feel the need to go west!
LOL! I was good with going up- we had been going up the whole time! The Mist Trail is just up up up- I was afraid because there was no rail- I really should have gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I wouldn't go up those stairs either. After our trip to the Grand Canyon I can't do that high stuff anymore. I have this picture in my head of careening over the side. Heck last week I almost fell out of the attic. All my DH could do was yell at me for cracking the ceiling!
OMG! This made me laugh so hard, and I will say why in a second, but are you ok? I sure hope so! So here is what your misfortune reminded me of- My FIL was a character- he was a great, great man, an awesome Dad (it is why Pods and his brothers are great dads, too- because they learned from the best). Anyway, it reminded me of him because he fell in the attic when he was up there fixing something, and fell right THROUGH THE CEILING AND LANDED IN A RECLINER!!!! Hand to God, it is true. Not a scratch on him. It was SO KARL. Really miss that man-
Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #562
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
LOL! I was good with going up- we had been going up the whole time! The Mist Trail is just up up up- I was afraid because there was no rail- I really should have gone. OMG! This made me laugh so hard, and I will say why in a second, but are you ok? I sure hope so! So here is what your misfortune reminded me of- My FIL was a character- he was a great, great man, an awesome Dad (it is why Pods and his brothers are great dads, too- because they learned from the best). Anyway, it reminded me of him because he fell in the attic when he was up there fixing something, and fell right THROUGH THE CEILING AND LANDED IN A RECLINER!!!! Hand to God, it is true. Not a scratch on him. It was SO KARL. Really miss that man-

That had me laughing, I could just picture him falling into the recliner! ROTFL!! I bruised my thigh, but I'm ok. I was putting luggage away, somehow I tripped. I was trying to keep from falling out the ladder door & managed to fall back away from the opening. I fell back on my bum, then realized I was sitting between the rafters in a space that only had insulation between me & falling thru the ceiling! I was so mad at DH for yelling about the cracked garage ceiling instead of asking if I was ok. Men, what are we to do with them?!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #563
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
LOMG! This made me laugh so hard, and I will say why in a second, but are you ok? I sure hope so! So here is what your misfortune reminded me of- My FIL was a character- he was a great, great man, an awesome Dad (it is why Pods and his brothers are great dads, too- because they learned from the best). Anyway, it reminded me of him because he fell in the attic when he was up there fixing something, and fell right THROUGH THE CEILING AND LANDED IN A RECLINER!!!! Hand to God, it is true. Not a scratch on him. It was SO KARL. Really miss that man-[/COLOR]
This made me laugh too! I just had to share with DH. Going up steps isn't bad, but going down, you see just how far away the ground is!

We went to Cancun on our honeymoon, and did a day trip to Chitzen Itza (sp?) Mayan ruins. I refused to climb up the temple. I took a picture of him up at the top, and he took a picture of me waving down at the bottom. I'm sorry, but when there's an ambulance PERMANENTLY PARKED AT THE BASE due to all the people falling, NO WAY am i going up!

Hope Timmy is feeling better!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #564
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post

That had me laughing, I could just picture him falling into the recliner! ROTFL!! I bruised my thigh, but I'm ok. I was putting luggage away, somehow I tripped. I was trying to keep from falling out the ladder door & managed to fall back away from the opening. I fell back on my bum, then realized I was sitting between the rafters in a space that only had insulation between me & falling thru the ceiling! I was so mad at DH for yelling about the cracked garage ceiling instead of asking if I was ok. Men, what are we to do with them?!
Yea- he was also laughing in the recliner my MIL said- he was so funny. I am glad you were ok-we have 2 of those attics in our house and i hate going up there, i always think im gonna fall through the door because Im such a spaz! And shame on him for not asking how you were!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #565
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post

This made me laugh too! I just had to share with DH. Going up steps isn't bad, but going down, you see just how far away the ground is!

We went to Cancun on our honeymoon, and did a day trip to Chitzen Itza (sp?) Mayan ruins. I refused to climb up the temple. I took a picture of him up at the top, and he took a picture of me waving down at the bottom. I'm sorry, but when there's an ambulance PERMANENTLY PARKED AT THE BASE due to all the people falling, NO WAY am i going up!

Hope Timmy is feeling better!
He was such a funny funny guy, my FIL! Really miss him.

I climbed up the pyramid at Tulum- up was easy- but down! Holy CRAP!!!! I sat on every step- it was terrifying!!!!!!!!! I kept thinking about all those virgin sacrifices at the top they would just throw down.... I kept thinkin they had it easy because they only had to climb up, lol. Chichen Itza is a much bigger pyramid- after Tulum I knew that no way would I ever go up that one! You're a smart girl!

Not sure you can climb either anymore, but there is another one that allows it, I think. Just in case you have any regrets not going in the past, lol.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #566
podsnel

The boys were content to just hang around, go to the pool, etc for a bit after we ate our sandwiches. Timmy was not feeling any better (he did not feel like he had a fever to me, I think he just had a cold and was feeling run down. And SUPER DUPER cranky.) so was glad we didn't have anything major planned- until tonight. Tonight I had signed us up for Stargazing at Glacier Point. This was a bus tour that would depart from the Lodge at the Falls and drive us allllllll the way up to Glacier Point at sunset where we would stay to watch the stars come out, followed by the bus ride back to the Valley. It was $41pp, and we had arranged for it the day we arrived, in addition to the tour I was about to take of the Ahwahnee Hotel (which was free). BUT.....the 120 was closed, due to the blazing fire near Groveland that I am sure you all saw on the news. So, there was a kind of a haze creeping into the Valley, it wasn't noticible really until you looked up, but...we'll see how that factors into our plans later. SO... I grabbed a shower in the semi-repaired (as in there was a pliers to use to operate the water) then I left my band of semi-merry men and went down to the lawn to meet up with the tour of the hotel (which is open to anyone- not just hotel guests). Here is a plaque inside the hotel that speaks a little about it-

So, The Ahwahnee is a special hotel in the National Park system, because it was constructed to draw in visitors in their new horseless carriages, and greater popularize the park, and the National Park system itself. It was built to feel like a large country home. Materials were utilized that reflected the beauty of Yosemite Valley, so that it looked to be a part of its surroundings on the outside. After construction, there was an issue with putting the entance in, so you actually enter the Ahwahnee Hotel from the back rather than the front, and the hotel front faces the back lawn. Do you follow that?

We moved inside and marvelled at the interior of the Ahwahnee. The design is representative of elements from 22 countries with art from California's original inhabitants. It has a Native American decorative theme, and the designers hired for the job were Pope and Ackerman. Their love of mid eastern design (persian rugs, etc) greatly influenced the design. Here are some of the pieces they commissioned to create the Ahwahnee's ambiance-

Ackerman felt that something was missing with the plain windows. So Jeannette Dyer Spencer was hired (she was a UC Berkeley Architecture grad who had studied stained glass in Paris). Spencer created unique stencil designs based on designs she saw by indiginous Californians. This is what adorns the ceilings' beams (although most are replicas- at some point the originals were painted over- DUH! who did that????).

This shows some of the resoration of the original stencils, it is a tedious process as you can imagine-

The stained glass was also designed by Spencer to reflect Native American people- and it is all magnificent.

The Great Lounge, which during World War II was used as a Navy hospital, along with the rest of the hotel-

The Ahwahnee Dining room, often described as the most beautiful in any Nat'l Park-

The ceilings are 34 feet high-

We walked through several other of the rooms, and the tour concluded. Worth an hour of my day for sure. Outside, it was beautiful, and REALLY hot!

I decided to catch the shuttle over to the Village, as I wanted to go see the Ansel Adams Gallery and the museum. On the way, I passed by the gift store, so went in to do a little shopping- I ended up with a small onyx bowl and a Christmas Ornament that looked like one of the floor medallions. These onyx bowls were STUNNING, but heavy, so I had mine shipped home-

FWIW, this banded onyx is NOT from Yosemite. I thought these were beautiful as well-

But were a little out of my price range (although I have been seeing similar pottery in my Alaska research, but with Salmon, so maybe there is still hope for a fish plate in my future!). The blue jays here are different from our NJ ones-

Ansel Adams Gallery-

The Gallery hosts many different photography classes and lectures, and is someting I would have probably looked into had I been here longer OR this was not my first visit. Inside the gallery were many of Ansel Adam's photos, as well as lots of jewelry, etc. if you wanted to shop. I had wanted to get some turquoise earrings, but nothing was really hitting me.

Cont'd next post-

Last edited by podsnel; 04-30-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #567
podsnel

Outside there was a Giant Sequoia trunk-

In the center of the trunk? That happened a few years back in AD 323-

On the edge? The opening of Yosemite in 1890. And SOOOO many amazing historical events in between! Please zoom in if you can to see-

I went into the Visitor's Center or the Museum, whichever one we had not visited the day before (i think the museum). There was a lot displayed depicting the lives and talents of the native tribes in this area.

The baskets are incredible, and highly prized-

Outside-

I toured the Indian Village-

There was a woman weaving baskets, and we got to talking. It turned out she had learned to make the baskets from her mother, who learned from her mother, who learned from her mother, etc. One of those mothers (this woman's great Grandmother, I think?) was Lucy Tulles, one of Yosemite's most treasured basket weavers. Her baskets were displayed in the museum, as well as at the Ahwahnee.

Somehow we got on the subject of the stone markers (cairns) I had seen the day before- she explained that whoever was doing that was NOT supposed to, and that it was creepy to her tribe. Bad energy. So if you ever see them, I mean TONS of them, knock them down, please, they are NOT a good thing. Anyway, she was very nice, I really enjoyed our chat- she hugged me goodbye, and I returned to the museum to see her Great Grandmother-

When I was done, Pods and the boys were going to meet me for dinner at the cafeteria inside the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. Our plan was to have dinner here, early, so we would be able to finish up and board the bus to head up to Glacier Point and stargaze. But.....would we???? Up next-
Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #568
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Is that deer/buck pooping?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #569
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Is that deer/buck pooping?
No- maybe peeing. I'm not sure.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #570
podsnel

So I met up with the boys, who had spent the afternoon at the pool and then gone on a short hike. We went inside to grab some dinner-

It was around 4:30 I think, so there was not alot to choose from as we had not hit the full dinner hour-

UH-OH-

sigh....Timmy is the best of days most days, but every so often, he is also the worst of days. Guess which day he had that day!

Well, I can tell you that none of us enjoyed eating here- it was just not sop good, and for what it was, it was pretty pricy. Cheaper than the Ahwahnee by BOATloads, but ick. Anyway, when we were finished, we had a big decision to make. Was it worth it to go on the 4 or so hour tour up to Glacier point to see the stars? Because, i know we were down in the Valley, but this is how the sky looked where we were-

Add to that the fact the Timmy was surprisingly NOT in the best mood, and well, he was for SURE out.

We went up to the tour desk in the lodge at the Falls. Where the employee was of little or no help. We asked if it would be cloudy/hazy/smokey up there? Did he have any reports? Was there any info available AT ALL??? His reply was a resounding maybe, maybe not, hard for me to tell from back here behind this desk and I for SURE am not making any more effort for you than that.

Thanks so much for that useless bit of info there, Joe Facts. We'll take a refund sil vous plait.

$164 in cold cash back on our credit card, we jumped back on the shuttle to the Ahwahnee where Timmy could go lie down. Tyler stayed with him and they watched some TV or played computer games- Pods and I went for an evening stroll-

This is looking northwest, towards where the fire was-

Lots of families were out front on the back lawn enjoying themselves-

Looking out towards Half Dome-

It did make for some interesting skies, but I can honestly say that while we were in Yosemite, I did not have the pleasure of viewing even one star, much less a sky completely filled with them. sigh...

It was also a full moon tonight- but I think those activities were cancelled. Usually the full moon lights up the Valley- so much so, that they have a full moon bike ride (gee, do ya think I should have asked Tim to go? LOL!).

Smoky or not, still it was magnificent.

We grabbed a table, and Pods had-

And I had another-

And it was awfully good!

We decided to make our second drink a much cheaper one, and on the way -

Back in a few-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: