Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #496
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

So, I thought I posted but I guess not. I am getting caught up on your TR and LOVING IT so far!! I will go back to read more but wanted to let you know I was here!!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #497
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
The scene of the future crime...

Quote:
Was this luxurious? No. But it was unique, and it was rustic and nice, I thought (The Ahwahnee gets shot down alot of TA- mostly because you are paying Four Seasons prices and not getting Four Seasons luxury- but really? This is an historic hotel in the middle of one of America's finest parks- a worthy trade for luxury, I think).
Looks great to me. But then again, I like rustic.

Quote:
We saw some bikers go over this bridge- I was VERY jelly!
Mmmm...jelly.

I bet you ran back to get Timmy on a bike again.

Love the scenery!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #498
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
The views are breathtaking !! Afternoon Tea as welll Oh my we are getting fancy !!!
Of COURSE fancy- pointed my pinky AND EVERYTHING when I ate my chocolate chip cookie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Well, with you flying off on multiple locations, it looks like I managed to forget to come in here and check for updates! Thanks for checking in on my TR!

Helloooooooooo Roni!

I love the hotel on the way to Yosemite - places like that are so fun. It feels great to do something a little different from the usual city hotels.

Hotel Charlotte is SO CUTE!!!! We loved that town- and I would go back ESPECIALLY to see the very, very nice people who live there!

A PAY PHONE?????

I KNOW!

The Yosemite pictures are just amazing. The lodge is beautiful too, and the room looks pretty huge. Itís so weird to me to be seeing these kinds of pics on the DIS - itís so West, so home to me.

Well, ya know, I'm a different kind of DISer.

OMG - the dirty feet pic! You should have posted a warning or something!

Totally made me LOL on that comment- THANKS for the giggle!

I gotta tell you - I am so impressed at how yíall make the most of your vacation. I canít believe all the different things you did (and Iím sure will do in future updates). Donít you ever get tired????
Thanks (again)- yea, sure- I get tired- we get tired- you will see a LOT of down time for some (not me, of course ) coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
What an awesome update! I think the hotel looks wonderful...it's smack dab inside one of the most beautiful places on earth! I can't wait to take this trip when my girls are a little older.

YES!! FANTASTIC choice!

I like to think of the dirty feet picture as just an example of an active day!! I tell my girls, if you come home dirty then it means you've been having a good time.

Christine
LOL- It is all relative-

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Especially the feet. We are Keen fans...I know the look of those feet well on hikes. But they rock.

I KNOW! Best hiking shoes ever- trying to figure out what we need for Alaska-

LOVE the bridge pictures, what a lovely drive in and I think it was worth every and any pennies to stay there. Cute tea.

Thanks girlfriend, i totally agree-

But I really love...

ranger duck.

CRAP! I knew I should have asked for another!

So gorgeous, worth all that white knuckle driving for sure. What an experience and kids old enough to remember!
Gotta go back with your awesome fam, my friend- Can't wait til you write about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I'd so stay at Awanhee, love hotels like that. When in Williamsburg we stayed in the old buildings. For the price they weren't that posh, but to stay where Thomas Jeferson stayed when he attended William & Mary meant so much.

Where did you stay, Doris? Evie is going and would love to know!

I would love to stay at the lodge at the Grand Canyon, but the wait is so far out.
ALWAYS keep checking and be vigilant- Joan got it (I wanna say) 6 months out. People cancel EVERYDAY.
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 AM   #499
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

The room looks very nice, I'm not sure why folks give it grief. You have to pay for natural beauty!

The little hike sounds nice. I'm hoping that we can get there next year and enjoy all the natural beauty. I'm looking forward to hearing about your wonderful dinner!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #500
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I love the "feel" of this place. Maybe it reminds me of places I've been as a kid. I know the Awahnee isn't glamorous, but I do love the kitchy oldtime feel. Thanks for sharing. Cool that you got to take a tour!
I thought it was so nice, too- stay tuned- there will be more tours-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Jelly.

Beautiful photos. Dirty feet. Lovely hotel. And I agree, you cannot beat the location.
It was extremely wonderful! Hey- isn't tomorrow March? Doing anything special in March?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
I just got caught up on the last 2 months of posts. I missed a lot.
Reading that you stopped at Red Robin on the way out, I thought to myself, that is probably Pleasanton. Then the next photos of the pass over to Stockton and I knew exactly where you were.
Can't wait to hear about your dinner. I have had the weekend brunch a few times, and it is incredible. Never stayed at the Ahwahnee though, we camped or stayed offsite. How incredible.
That's so funny! Is that right near you? We considered doing the brunch- but decided we would rather explore the park when we got there. It does look impressive, tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
That place looks amazing. And one of the last photos reminded me of a Dirty Dancing type resort. People sitting out on the lawn, wandering around, enjoying! What fun.
It did have that feel- like you were at a REALLY nice summer camp-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzasmd View Post
Great report. Makes me want to visit California, and stay at The Awahnee!
Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Gorgeous photos from your hike.
The bathroom was very nice.
YIKES! Those feet. LOL
The tour looked so nice.
I am caught up again.
Wait til you see the pics from our last day- unreal.The bathroom is going to have a little accident.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #501
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Other than turning 45 in a week , maybe...... 29 days!!!! My FE gifts are almost ready and I'm starting to pack. I'm going to Vegas with Joshua for soccer March 14-16. M is traveling a ton. It'll be here before I know it. Any helpful hints, tips? I know you love your cruises!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #502
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Hi Ellen!
All caught up here. Your TR brings back so many wonderful memories for us as we toured some of the NPs in the west in the 1990s.
Hi Karin! What a lovely trip that must have been! I am sorry I have been so MIA on your Trs- very busy lately! Hopefully will have time this weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
I was tickled (my grandma's word) to learn recently that I could DOWNLOAD library books from my local library . . . FREE!! Yippee. I didn't even have to get out of my chair, and I could read all the Jack Reacher books I wanted, and I didn't even have to pay a download charge (I like free. I am cheap). Well . . . I downloaded my first book (yep - Jack Reacher series), and a few days later, I started enjoying reading about my favorite hunky character. One day, I went logged on to my ipad to find that my book had been snatched away from me! It was only a 1 week loan - boo. Now I have to wait until the current reader is finished (I am on the waiting list) before I can finish my book. Unfortunately, I am not a very patient person.

I'm telling you this cause I'd love it if you would HURRY IT UP, WOMAN! I need something to read!!

Jodie
LOL, Jodie- that is definitely the downside of free books borrowed from the library- kind of stinks when they take them back and you aren't finished!

I am writing as fast as I can- it has been a busy week- lots of PTA obligations and Book Club last night in addition to tons of clients looking to get far away from the snow! Read one of my other TRs while you wait- there are 19 others, lol! that should keep you busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
So, I thought I posted but I guess not. I am getting caught up on your TR and LOVING IT so far!! I will go back to read more but wanted to let you know I was here!!
Hey Roomie! See you in 16 days!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post

LOL...

Looks great to me. But then again, I like rustic.

It was great! What do people expect? Marble columns and gold leaf walls? Ridiculous-

Mmmm...jelly.

I bet you ran back to get Timmy on a bike again.

OMG...

Love the scenery!
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
The room looks very nice, I'm not sure why folks give it grief. You have to pay for natural beauty!

You REALLy have to pay for natural beauty and COMFORT. I mean, technically we could have been in a sleeping bag in a tent- but we're just a little too fussy for that.

The little hike sounds nice. I'm hoping that we can get there next year and enjoy all the natural beauty. I'm looking forward to hearing about your wonderful dinner!
Awesome! Dinner coming up!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #503
podsnel

Back through the hotel to our room-

We needed to shower and get to dinner. But the shower- well, the handle just spun around- I felt like an idiot in there- is hot to the left? To the right? I can't remember- all I know is that I couldn't find any hot water until the end of my very quick shower. Pods too. Hmmm....let's see what happens with that tomorrow....

Downstairs, it was time for dinner in the Ahwahnee Dining Room-

I started with an El Capitini- The first Ascent- Vodka, Cointreau, Pomegranate-topped off with Celebratory Champagne, sugar rim and orange twist climbers knot. served with a caribiner-

They say on the menu this drink ROCKS- and really, it does! We ordered a bottle of wine to have with dinner-

The dining room was not too busy, but would be more full before we left.

We started with California Artisan Cheeses
Cypress grove humboldt fog, fiscalini farms cheddar, golden valley farm ubriaco, fig cake, membrillo, candied walnuts $15

And Grilled Lamb Lollipops
Pomegranate molasses, lavender fleur de sel $21

And Ahwahnee Caesar
Romaine hearts, sourdough croutons, parmesan crisp, classic caesar dressing $11

This boy of mine loved that lamb-

For dinner I chose Pan -Seared Steelhead
New potatoes, zucchini, braised leeks, citrus beurre blanc
Side $35

Tyler had Queen
Mashed potatoes, green beans, Yorkshire pudding, aujus, horseradish char-grilled for medium to well done available upon request
Size
Queen cut $40

Timmy had Grilled Prime New York Steak
Roasted* potatoes, sauteed spinach, juniper-herb butter slow-roasted angus beef prime rib $44

And Pods went with the other fish on the menu, Grilled Pacific Swordfish
Creamy polenta, ratatouille, olive tapenade, arugula pesto $32

The food here was really yummy- very expensive, but, again, look where you are dining.

I mean, really- here is a list of some who have stayed and dined here in the past- Brad Pitt, Lucille Ball (while filming The Long, Long Trailer), Judy Garland, Mel Gibson (while filming Maverick), Charlton Heston, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Joan Baez, Boris Karloff, and Kim Novak. John F. Kennedy stayed here, as did Herbert Hoover and Eleanor Roosevelt. The Ahwahnee has also been a temporary home to a host of royalty, including Queen Ratana of Nepal, King Baudouin of Belgium, Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie, and most famously, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip in 1983.

And of course, most notable to us,The Geissel Family of Scotch Plains, NJ.

Just Tyler was up for dessert- Classic Creme Brulee
Tahitian vanilla & cookie tuille $8.50

Cont'd next post-

Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #504
podsnel

We were also given a gift-

It was a pricey night for sure, make no mistake, but I am so glad we splurged!

The pool (can you believe this is IT?).

Back in our room, our turndown service was waiting for us-

The boys played some computer games, we read, and then it was lights out- tomorrow we had a BIG hike planned- The Mist trail!

But would we all be hiking????? UGH- stay tuned.....

Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #505
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Dinner looked amazing! It's making me hungry!

Foreshadowing!

Jill in CO
Old 02-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #506
pillow
DIS Veteran

The dining room is beautiful! But HOLY COW, those prices. I hope the food was REALLLLLLYYY good! Keep it coming . . .

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #507
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Great update and that dinner looks fantastic! I'm starving now! I guess I'll have to take DW out to dinner tonight now...wait...that was the plan, wasn't it? Have you two been conspiring?!?!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #508
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Splurging is wonderful once in awhile. Great looking meal, especially the meat, swordfish ain't too hateful either.

In Williamsburg we stayed in the Houses & Taverns. You stay in one of the old houses on a back street or the Main Street. It's wonderful, but not as posh as the Williamsburg Lodge. One has to consider the fact these are the actual 200 or more years old buildings, so may not have all the amenities. The atmosphere is just incredible, especially if one loves history.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #509
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Oh your dinner looks wonderful,
I love the family shot of you all together
I can't for the life of me remember what we ate there but I do remember it being a fabulous meal and the atmosphere in that dining room can't be topped!
Beautiful photos by the way and I love that you are including some great links to further info - above and beyond the DIS Trip Reporting duty but very welcome !!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #510
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Ellen the food looked amazing !Yorkshire pudding Yummy !!! I havn't made iti n a while !!!Don't you just LOVE turn down service !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: