Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #466
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

I have never been to California. Furthest west I have been is Colorado. But your pictures are excellent. Hope to get out that way someday.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #467
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Yellowstone is amazing! My grandfather worked in Yellowstone during the Depression in the CC Corps so it has a special place in my family's hearts. My first trip was to Yellowstone when I was 6 months old.

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #468
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

My dad worked the CCCs in Montana at the Lewis & Clark caverns building picnic shelters
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #469
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
My dad worked the CCCs in Montana at the Lewis & Clark caverns building picnic shelters
Very cool!

Jill in CO
Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #470
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Wow! Beautiful pics! Looks like the boys are up to their usual exploring and climbing! Nice pics of the lodge. Looks like our Crater Lake Lodge, but the outside reminds me of ...WL or CG or even SOG. I wonder why?
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #471
ngchiro
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Nice trip
ngchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #472
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Love the photo of you on the bridge. Absolutely adorable.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #473
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Wonderful Updates !! The views were breathtaking !!! I do believe P has a trip there .....mmmm Carol !!!! The Hotel looked Charming ,your lunch looked good if a little pricey!!! Looing forward to the next update
It really is such a glorious park, Rosie- absolutely awe-inspiring! If you do end up going with your clients, try to make it a May trip- I think it would be even MORE spectacular then, and much, much less crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejud View Post
Being the story of the Bear and the Backpack...

From my woodcarving autobiography, Pursuing Art in American Woodcarving:

Back in June of 1975, my thumb and I were heading north from Los Angeles, California, with the idea of going to San Francisco. After several rides of short duration, a small violet Toyota eased to a stop just past me. I trotted to the passenger door while removing my backpack and congratulating my thumb, for I knew this was a long ride. The car was packed literally to the roof. I thanked the driver for stopping and told him, “My name is Jud…”

“My name is Jeff,” he replied.

We shook hands and settled into conversation and the ride. He told me he was going to San Francisco.

I responded that “Frisco” was also my destination.

“Nah, don't call it ‘Frisco’, the natives hate that: it's The City.”

“Ya, I'm going to The City,” I quickly corrected myself, somewhat abashed that my knowledge didn't include that tidbit… so much for fourth grade geography.

The ride went on, and so did the beers we downed. We got talking about places we'd been and discovered neither of us had been to Yosemite. Feeling a bit free-er with the beer in us, all of a sudden, we changed course and headed for Yosemite National Park.

Several hundred miles later we were traveling through fast, steep mountain roads, cutting their path through packed forests. Walls of green and brown and red guided the black tar trail to the entry gate of Yosemite. From there, a few more narrow twisting miles, and we were at the valley- that small area most consider the park, although Yosemite Park, proper, extends for many miles in every direction.

The valley was white with tents. The available space was covered with canvas- it was unbelievable. Where 10 minutes ago we had seemed lost from civilization, alone in a green world of tree and rock and animal, now we were among members of an overcrowded city with screaming children who'd rather watch TV, fathers who'd rather their wives were cooking with gas, and dogs who'd rather they were back in the city with room to run!

Jeff and I agreed this was not quite what he had in mind and went tromping off to find something better. Ah! Our spirits lifted. There! In the clearing… What? Nothing, just a clearing!

We crossed the Merced River, I, dipping my walking stick into the racing waters. (This is a 6- foot hickory staff, two sections, into which I carve a symbol representing the places I visit. ... It is topped with a foursided head in Birdseye Maple. I also dip it ceremoniously into various rivers, thus…)

A third member, Mike, had joined our party, and we found a suitable space, ate supper, talked and prepared for sleep. This included tying our packs up in a tree. This is to prevent the bears from not so neatly opening the packs and eating what's inside.

We slept the sleep of the weary, to coin a phrase (here's your change). There's nothing quite like Mother Nature's bedroom- the mattress, firm rolling ground, would you like your feet up?; the walls, beautiful tall trees swaying in the refreshing breeze off the river; the ceiling, a black sky alive with shimmering diamonds of light… and the Moon! The rush of the river soon lulled us to sleep.

Klang! Bang! Kling! Rattle, rattle… what's going on? I awoke to find my partners up and banging away on the pots and pans.

“Are you guys nuts? It's 3 a.m.”

Then I followed their eyes… Directly over us, hanging in the tree, playing badminton with our packs, was a huge black mass of fur, otherwise known as a bear! Quickly I pulled out my flashlight and threateningly aimed it at the creature and turned it on. Unfortunately, it didn't appear as threatening to him as I thought it would. But it had become bored with the packs and backed down the tree. On the ground the visitor began circling us, possibly trying to decide which of us was fit to eat.

Apparently we didn't look or smell too good and the bear turned and moseyed off. The rest of the night was uneventful.

When daylight came we climbed among the rocks, and there's some big rocks- two of them stick up for a mile above the trees! We toured the valley in the shuttle bus (double-decker) and saw El Capitan and Half Dome; saw them again reflected in Mirror Lake framed by red barked pines; saw a waterfall that was just a tiny white line way up there on the side of that cliff, and saw Yosemite Falls which was more like a wide river running up and down. The spray from it could soak a bystander 50 feet away. Incredible!

Jud
What an AMAZING story!! I really do hope I get to see that lake looking like that one day- rather than just walking on its sandy bottom! And I have heard that fall soaks everyone- hence the Mist trail, right?

Fascinating that you have published books, by the way!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #474
podsnel

Quote:
Ellen if you haven't been to Yellowstone, you really must go there. It looks similar to Yosemite, same big waterfall & trees. But, there are elk, bison, antelopes & bears among the animals roaming. The boiling pools of water are out of this world. It is crazy beautiful there.

It DOES sound and look incredible- Yellowstone is definitely on our bucket list! Would love to see the wildlife, especially the bison.

Another must see is the Grand Canyon. That really blew me away, nothing like it. The lodge there is much like the lodge at Yosemite, beautiful place.

Also on our bucket list- we have not been because we need to visit NOT in August, I think! My friend Joan stayed in that lodge- El Tovar, right? I remember she was SO excited when she got it!

I'm really enjoying this TR, especially the sights of San Francisco.
Thanks! Happy to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wow - some of your photos are so beautiful they look almost surreal! Now I have to go to Yosemite! Officially on the bucket list.

YOU would be an absolute photography ANIMAL there! One of the things I really wanted to do, but did not because it just didn't work timing wise, was to go on a photography walk with the Ansel Adams gallery. I am sure YOU would HATE that!

That hotel looks gorgeous. The price for your sammie - not so much, but whatcha gonna do!

More, more, more!
The price for everything there was ridiculous- even when we ate at the cafeteria type places (and it was really bad). At least when we paid slightly more of a ridiculous price the food was edible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
those photos are great! It makes me even more pumped about Yellowstone this summer. You are right the national park hotels book out at the 12 month window. And I mean AT the 12 month window, not plus 1 day but dead on. I was lucky to get my ressies for this summer. love love love the adventures you take
That is going to be incredible! Can't wait to hear about it! I actually booked these nights at 11 months- because I changed everything when I found out we were planning to be in DLR during D23 (hence- wouldn't be able to use our points). But I think it was ok because we were past the very height of summer vacations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
I have never been to California. Furthest west I have been is Colorado. But your pictures are excellent. Hope to get out that way someday.
Well, I have never been to Colorado. So we are EVEN.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #475
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

All caught up! (Finally)

Yosemite just looks stunning. There's no other word for it. I can't wait to see it someday. A bucket-list destination for sure.

I'd love to stay at Ahwanee (or however you spell it), too. Don't know if the budget will allow, but you know I'm a sucker for those Wilderness Lodge-type places!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #476
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Gorgeous photos of Yosemite!
We had dinner at that hotel when we visited a couple of years ago - it must have been wonderful to actually stay there
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #477
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Yellowstone is amazing! My grandfather worked in Yellowstone during the Depression in the CC Corps so it has a special place in my family's hearts. My first trip was to Yellowstone when I was 6 months old.

Jill in CO
Very nice! How amazing you have such a connection to Yellowstone with your family!

Quote:
Another very cool connection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Very cool!

Jill in CO
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Wow! Beautiful pics! Looks like the boys are up to their usual exploring and climbing! Nice pics of the lodge. Looks like our Crater Lake Lodge, but the outside reminds me of ...WL or CG or even SOG. I wonder why?
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngchiro View Post
Nice trip
Thanks! And thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Love the photo of you on the bridge. Absolutely adorable.
Thank you- It seemed appropriate-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
All caught up! (Finally)

Yosemite just looks stunning. There's no other word for it. I can't wait to see it someday. A bucket-list destination for sure.

Well, I hope you are still doing TRs then, because THAT is a trip of your's I would definitely like to see-

I'd love to stay at Ahwanee (or however you spell it), too. Don't know if the budget will allow, but you know I'm a sucker for those Wilderness Lodge-type places!
Yea- especially when you read up on the history of the hotel- it really was built to lure people with some cash into the parks so that the National Park system could be established. MUCH less expensive (as in like half as much) to stay in during something other than the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Gorgeous photos of Yosemite!
We had dinner at that hotel when we visited a couple of years ago - it must have been wonderful to actually stay there
It was- it really made the whole Yosemite experience complete for us.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #478
podsnel

We arrived back at the Ahwahnee just in time for afternoon tea...

So we all grabbed a cookie or two, then went to get our room key and have our luggage delivered...

This room was very large, I thought, with very high ceilings! What was especially good for our family with teen boys was this meant T&T could sleep in separate beds, since the couch was a pull out.

Does this bathroom remind you of anywhere else, lol?

The scene of the future crime...

Big closet-

Only SOME of the toiletries, there were full size ones additionally in the tub-

a new little friend!

What there is to see out the window-

Was this luxurious? No. But it was unique, and it was rustic and nice, I thought (The Ahwahnee gets shot down alot of TA- mostly because you are paying Four Seasons prices and not getting Four Seasons luxury- but really? This is an historic hotel in the middle of one of America's finest parks- a worthy trade for luxury, I think). Some people's feet needed a BATH! YIKES!!

LOL, Merrells are not too good at keeping you clean, I guess!

The boys were going to get cleaned up, while Pods and I were going to go on one of the free Naturalist Stroll held each night at 5:00 on the back lawn. (There were always lots of free ranger led activities to try at Yosemite all day long). Tonight's walk was something like John Muir's Yosemite, so we were especially interested! Here is a link to all the Yosemite guides on their website, so you can see what exactly is offered here year-round.http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm.

The Naturalist said this was his favorite walk to do, because John Muir was so incredibly influential in establishing the National Park system. we started out at some trees, redwoods, just out back-

Cont'd next post-
Old 02-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #479
podsnel

Then we walked out to the Meadow, where John Muir lived....

We walked some more...

This particular naturalist was a mountain climber, too, so he talked about climbing El Capitan etc. CRAZY talk! lol-

We saw some bikers go over this bridge- I was VERY jelly!

Then back to the Ahwahnee...

We thanked our guide, and went up to get ready for dinner in the Ahwahnee Dining room.

If you are interested in learning more about John Muir and his influence in Yosemite, here is a link-

http://www.nps.gov/yose/historyculture/muir.htm

Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #480
pillow
DIS Veteran

Loving it!

I am thoroughly enjoying your TRs - both this one and the New Years Fantasy TR. Keep it coming!!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: