Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #451
ejud
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Another walk around,

When I sat on that rock in '75, I was surrounded by lake.

And woke in my sleeping bag at 3 am that night in those trees off to the left to a large bear in the tree over my head batting my backpack...

Jud
Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #452
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

You've just convinced me that I need to schedule a trip to Yosemite in June or July in the next couple years!

Absolutely stunning!

I'm not sure we could afford more than two nights in that hotel either!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #453
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Wow - beautiful pictures. I also have added Yosemite to my vacation to-do list.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #454
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Yosemite reminds me of Yellowstone Park, although if you put your toes in the water there poor toes might get cooked!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #455
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Oh my word! That scenery is so stunning. I would go crazy taking pictures too. You are making me want to go there so badly!!!!!!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #456
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Gorgeous! I haven't been to Yosemite for 20 years and I need to go back.

Jill in CO
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #457
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Well sure it can!!! I do it all the time.
Clearly I am challenged! I will do my best- the DL portion of the trip was incredible- I really loved it there, wish I were going back with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Ha! I have been know to indulge in the odd Marg
Gee, me too! Imagine that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckryan View Post
Yosemite = gorgeous!!
It really is- the pictures don't even come close to doing it justice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
I love the cash register.

I thought it was beautiful! And very different from antiques we have on the east coast.

The pics look beautiful. I should try to go one day.

Definitely- try to go in May or June!

The lodge looks really nice.
It was! Stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Your pictures are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. This is my dream trip, thanks for sharing.
You are very welcome, I am sorry it has taken me so long to do it- but I am really enjoying looking at these photos, too! I hope you do get to go- it is a place that makes you feel at peace and in awe through and through-
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #458
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Absolutely stunning Ellen.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #459
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Great pics! With lunch prices like that, I can't imagine how much the hotel room actually was!

Glad you're back!
The hotel is extra expensive in high season, which is what we were at the tail end of- all summer (especially weekends) the park is PACKED, and rooms (even at the Ahwahnee) are booked 12 months and a day in advance. It would still be expensive at other times, but can be as much as half of what we paid-

And very glad to be back, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Yosemite....it looks like heaven.
It is truly gorgeous and awe inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejud View Post
When I sat on that rock in '75, I was surrounded by lake.

And woke in my sleeping bag at 3 am that night in those trees off to the left to a large bear in the tree over my head batting my backpack...

Jud
THAT IS SO COOL!!!!! Did you get your backpack back? And what was in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
You've just convinced me that I need to schedule a trip to Yosemite in June or July in the next couple years!

Yes definitely, especially now that you know where it is, lol.

Absolutely stunning!

Completely. They have a lot of tram tours that you both would enjoy, I am sure.

I'm not sure we could afford more than two nights in that hotel either!
Don't go in August- we have no choice, the boys have baseball until then. If I ever go back, it will be in the spring when the rates are cheaper, the waterfalls are raging and the crowds are much, much less! Even July will be expensive and crowded- back it up a month or two-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Wow - beautiful pictures. I also have added Yosemite to my vacation to-do list.
Oh yea- you do need to go- such a memorable family adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Yosemite reminds me of Yellowstone Park, although if you put your toes in the water there poor toes might get cooked!
Yellowstone is probably the most rugged of our National Parks, right? I always am seeing documentaries about it that it's a really hostile environment that could blow at any minute- it is fascinating, and is on my list of must-dos. In fact, it is probably the next Nat'l park I would like to visit-
Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #460
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Oh my word! That scenery is so stunning. I would go crazy taking pictures too. You are making me want to go there so badly!!!!!!
You should go! I bet Skip would LOVE this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Gorgeous! I haven't been to Yosemite for 20 years and I need to go back.

Jill in CO
So many vacations....so little time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Absolutely stunning Ellen.
Thanks, Chris- I was thinking I should play with the photos to make them perfect- but really don't have time, so, here it is as is! Have you been there?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #461
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Wonderful Updates !! The views were breathtaking !!! I do believe P has a trip there .....mmmm Carol !!!! The Hotel looked Charming ,your lunch looked good if a little pricey!!! Looing forward to the next update
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #462
ejud
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
THAT IS SO COOL!!!!! Did you get your backpack back? And what was in it?
Being the story of the Bear and the Backpack...

From my woodcarving autobiography, Pursuing Art in American Woodcarving:

Back in June of 1975, my thumb and I were heading north from Los Angeles, California, with the idea of going to San Francisco. After several rides of short duration, a small violet Toyota eased to a stop just past me. I trotted to the passenger door while removing my backpack and congratulating my thumb, for I knew this was a long ride. The car was packed literally to the roof. I thanked the driver for stopping and told him, “My name is Jud…”

“My name is Jeff,” he replied.

We shook hands and settled into conversation and the ride. He told me he was going to San Francisco.

I responded that “Frisco” was also my destination.

“Nah, don't call it ‘Frisco’, the natives hate that: it's The City.”

“Ya, I'm going to The City,” I quickly corrected myself, somewhat abashed that my knowledge didn't include that tidbit… so much for fourth grade geography.

The ride went on, and so did the beers we downed. We got talking about places we'd been and discovered neither of us had been to Yosemite. Feeling a bit free-er with the beer in us, all of a sudden, we changed course and headed for Yosemite National Park.

Several hundred miles later we were traveling through fast, steep mountain roads, cutting their path through packed forests. Walls of green and brown and red guided the black tar trail to the entry gate of Yosemite. From there, a few more narrow twisting miles, and we were at the valley- that small area most consider the park, although Yosemite Park, proper, extends for many miles in every direction.

The valley was white with tents. The available space was covered with canvas- it was unbelievable. Where 10 minutes ago we had seemed lost from civilization, alone in a green world of tree and rock and animal, now we were among members of an overcrowded city with screaming children who'd rather watch TV, fathers who'd rather their wives were cooking with gas, and dogs who'd rather they were back in the city with room to run!

Jeff and I agreed this was not quite what he had in mind and went tromping off to find something better. Ah! Our spirits lifted. There! In the clearing… What? Nothing, just a clearing!

We crossed the Merced River, I, dipping my walking stick into the racing waters. (This is a 6- foot hickory staff, two sections, into which I carve a symbol representing the places I visit. ... It is topped with a foursided head in Birdseye Maple. I also dip it ceremoniously into various rivers, thus…)

A third member, Mike, had joined our party, and we found a suitable space, ate supper, talked and prepared for sleep. This included tying our packs up in a tree. This is to prevent the bears from not so neatly opening the packs and eating what's inside.

We slept the sleep of the weary, to coin a phrase (here's your change). There's nothing quite like Mother Nature's bedroom- the mattress, firm rolling ground, would you like your feet up?; the walls, beautiful tall trees swaying in the refreshing breeze off the river; the ceiling, a black sky alive with shimmering diamonds of light… and the Moon! The rush of the river soon lulled us to sleep.

Klang! Bang! Kling! Rattle, rattle… what's going on? I awoke to find my partners up and banging away on the pots and pans.

“Are you guys nuts? It's 3 a.m.”

Then I followed their eyes… Directly over us, hanging in the tree, playing badminton with our packs, was a huge black mass of fur, otherwise known as a bear! Quickly I pulled out my flashlight and threateningly aimed it at the creature and turned it on. Unfortunately, it didn't appear as threatening to him as I thought it would. But it had become bored with the packs and backed down the tree. On the ground the visitor began circling us, possibly trying to decide which of us was fit to eat.

Apparently we didn't look or smell too good and the bear turned and moseyed off. The rest of the night was uneventful.

When daylight came we climbed among the rocks, and there's some big rocks- two of them stick up for a mile above the trees! We toured the valley in the shuttle bus (double-decker) and saw El Capitan and Half Dome; saw them again reflected in Mirror Lake framed by red barked pines; saw a waterfall that was just a tiny white line way up there on the side of that cliff, and saw Yosemite Falls which was more like a wide river running up and down. The spray from it could soak a bystander 50 feet away. Incredible!

Jud
Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #463
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Ellen if you haven't been to Yellowstone, you really must go there. It looks similar to Yosemite, same big waterfall & trees. But, there are elk, bison, antelopes & bears among the animals roaming. The boiling pools of water are out of this world. It is crazy beautiful there.

Another must see is the Grand Canyon. That really blew me away, nothing like it. The lodge there is much like the lodge at Yosemite, beautiful place.

I'm really enjoying this TR, especially the sights of San Francisco.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #464
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wow - some of your photos are so beautiful they look almost surreal! Now I have to go to Yosemite! Officially on the bucket list.

That hotel looks gorgeous. The price for your sammie - not so much, but whatcha gonna do!

More, more, more!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #465
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

those photos are great! It makes me even more pumped about Yellowstone this summer. You are right the national park hotels book out at the 12 month window. And I mean AT the 12 month window, not plus 1 day but dead on. I was lucky to get my ressies for this summer. love love love the adventures you take

CRdisMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: