Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #346
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Once we had finished up our baseball morning, we knew we had to high tail it over to Golden Gate Park (on the other side of the city) for our 2pm Segway tour with Electric Tour Company. We had booked with Goldstar, which had 50% off on the tour- so, $35 each, rather than $70 each! Yay Goldstar! Here's a link- http://www.goldstar.com/events/42872?test_signup

We were pretty hungry, so before grabbing a cab, we stopped in at a pizzeria and grabbed a few slices to eat once we got to the park. The taxi was easy to flag down, and about 20 minutes later, we were getting out and eating pizza on a bench in Golden Gate Park.

We were right across from the Academy of Arts and Sciences which I would have LOVED to explore, had we been spending more time in San Fran. Notice the weather here. This end of San Francisco is FREEZING. It is cloudy, and the Pacific Ocean makes it really, really cold. BRING YOUR WARMEST CLOTHES HERE!!! I can't stress that enough!

While we ate (and froze) we enjoyed watching the VERY friendly police bring their horses to visit some young children-

All four of us were impressed by how friendly these cops and their horses were!

We had a little time to kill before the tour, and OF COURSE the kids were still hungry, so they got hot dogs at a nearby stand- FYI- no need to grab pizza on the way here, there are several food carts set up right next to the Segways and bike rentals at the park.

This is as close as I got to the Japanese Gardens, so, Yea, Cynthia, I will go with you!

C-C-C-C-COLD!

We checked in and were given gear- and I asked if they had jackets, because I was pretty sure I had read somewhere that they did. While they went to get jackets for all of us except Pods (because he is SUCH a man he didn't need one!!!), we warmed up on our Segways and began training.

This woman ended up being our tour guide- her name was Ady, she was born and raised in San Fran, and she was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

There were less than 12 of us in our group, and after we had all finished learning how to start, stop, turn and not kill ourselves, we went on to explore the GORGEOUS (even in the fog and grey) park. Ady took some photos of us as we rode around the park, all while cracking us up with her stories about the park and her fabulous sense of humor.

I really could not take photos while we were going, so I can't show you the Dahlia Dell we rode through. It was magnificent! Here is a link-

http://sfdahlias.org/gardens/dell.htm

We took a break from our ride at

It was so beautiful and peaceful here.

I adore California poppies- all poppies, really, but especially these, they are such a happy color. Too bad as much as I love them, they don't love me and my NJ garden!

Cont'd next post-
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #347
podsnel

We went into the redwood grove-

Where it didn't take much prompting from Ady to get us to act stupid...

OMG, look at Timmy!

The tour was about an hour and a half- we saw SO much of the park, more than we ever could have possibly seen on our own on foot. And Segways are a BLAST. In fact, this was my third time on a Segway- the first was at EPCOT & the next in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. I told Ady that HER tour was the BEST ONE OF ALL.

I KNOW!

Blasphemy! I rate her better than Disney!

Both Pods and I could not get over how incredible that park was, and Ady was a great, GREAT tourguide. She also complimented my boys on their behavior- she said that often teenage boys can be hard to handle on the tour, but mine were excellent. YAY boys! Thanks, Ady Lady!

We went in front of the Academy of Science, and just as Ady had told us, in minutes a cab pulled up to drop someone off, which we then hopped into to head back to the hotel. On the SUNNY and WARM side of town, lol.

Up next- Chinese night up in the RC for the boys, romantic dinner for Mom & Dad at the lovely Boulevard restaurant.

Last edited by podsnel; 12-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #348
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
So off we went, headed south for a change towards AT&T Park- home of the San Francisco Giants.
Cool! I love baseball stadium tours. I think they're underrated as far as family activities go.

Quote:
On the tour with the Monkey, he told us this was here "just because"-

Duuuuddddeeee....Know what would be far out, man?

Quote:
There he is- who doesn't love Willie Mays?
Can't think of anyone. Dodgers fans maybe?

Quote:
Our first view- what a GORGEOUS place to play ball!

Love the outfield wall right up against the water!

Quote:
See the Coke bottle? It's a slide at the playground- I think he said it's open for more than just games-
For adults too?

Quote:
Love this movie-

Quote:
On the tour we checked out alot of suites-
We always tell our kids, "Get a good look, because you'll never be in here again."

Quote:
Back in a few- Tyler needs to go visit a GIRL.

Quote:
The door that hundreds of visiting baseball heroes have signed-
Very cool! And I can't read any of them.

Quote:
He knew we were from NJ, and he asked who we were fans of- when we told him the Yankees and the Giants (NY- as in football) he said his uncle used to play for them. Did we remember Rosey Grier?
Of course!

Quote:
They LOVED this tour- it was uber cool for a baseball fan, but, ya know, it was even cool for a non-baseball junkie- we all would highly recommend!
Looks great!

Quote:
Oh- here's a vid I forgot to post (as usual)- in it you can hear that park is open 11-4 everyday for kids.
I'm just glad to see a Phillies fan there. At least somebody has decent taste in teams.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #349
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Cool! I love baseball stadium tours. I think they're underrated as far as family activities go.

Yes! I don't know why we haven't been to Yankee Stadium this way- I am going to look into it for Timmy's birthday. I'm assuming you want me to get you a ticket, too?

Duuuuddddeeee....Know what would be far out, man?

EXACTLY!!!

Can't think of anyone. Dodgers fans maybe?

Well they are just WRONG!!

Love the outfield wall right up against the water!

So gorgeous- San Franciscans are a lucky bunch all around.

For adults too?

Had we not been in a hurry to get over to the Segways, I would be able to tell you for sure, because you KNOW I would have gone on-

I've seen it 10x at least-

We always tell our kids, "Get a good look, because you'll never be in here again."

We said the same!

Very cool! And I can't read any of them.

They are all up there- even ones that YOU like-

I'm just glad to see a Phillies fan there. At least somebody has decent taste in teams.
When I was a college freshman at rider I dated a Phillies fan- when they won the World series, we went to the parade. I even had a hat, which I wore with pride alllllll the time!

I made alot of mistakes when I was younger.....
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #350
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

I was going to say you guys are the kings (and queen) of segways. Good thing you had a tour guide so the boys couldnt lead the way again LOL. Cant wait to see what dinner is!

Oh and if its any consolation I cant grow anything (minus kids LOL) I have a total black thumb!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #351
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
I was going to say you guys are the kings (and queen) of segways. Good thing you had a tour guide so the boys couldnt lead the way again LOL. Cant wait to see what dinner is!

LMAO- good point! I think they learned their lesson the day before-listen to the LADY!!!!!!!!

Oh and if its any consolation I cant grow anything (minus kids LOL) I have a total black thumb!
Even those? They are like wildflowers- but they like it dry- NJ is the wrong climate-
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #352
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

What a beautiful park! And how fun to do it on Segways. We have never been on one but they look like lots of fun. Of course, I would probably hurt myself. Just sayin.

And only two more weekends at home before we leave for Florida and the cruise! Woo Hoo!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #353
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
What a beautiful park! And how fun to do it on Segways. We have never been on one but they look like lots of fun. Of course, I would probably hurt myself. Just sayin.

And only two more weekends at home before we leave for Florida and the cruise! Woo Hoo!
I am OUT OF MY MIND EXCITED for this trip!! I love every vacation, but there is something about a cruise- especially a DISNEY cruise- that just is the very, very best! I think part of it is that my last two cruises have been 4 nights on the Dream, and they were both GREAT, but a WEEK is soooo much nicer. I was able to change my flight to one in the afternoon, so now we will be getting in earlier on the 26th- I am going to head straight over to MK and see Christmas Wishes that night. SO EXCITED!!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #354
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Once we had finished up our baseball morning, we knew we had to high tail it over to Golden Gate Park (on the other side of the city) for our 2pm Segway tour with Electric Tour Company.
...because we all know from experience there's nothing your family loves more than riding around San Francisco on 2-wheeled vehicles.

Quote:
This end of San Francisco is FREEZING. It is cloudy, and the Pacific Ocean makes it really, really cold. BRING YOUR WARMEST CLOTHES HERE!!! I can't stress that enough!
Ok, I want to see some parkas!

Quote:
This is as close as I got to the Japanese Gardens, so, Yea, Cynthia, I will go with you!
Shameless plug!

Quote:
Where it didn't take much prompting from Ady to get us to act stupid...
You guys need to be prompted?

Quote:
I told Ady that HER tour was the BEST ONE OF ALL.

I KNOW!

Blasphemy! I rate her better than Disney!

Careful, you could be banned from the boards here!

Quote:
Both Pods and I could not get over how incredible that park was, and Ady was a great, GREAT tourguide. She also complimented my boys on their behavior- she said that often teenage boys can be hard to handle on the tour, but mine were excellent. YAY boys! Thanks, Ady Lady!

Quote:
[B]When I was a college freshman at rider I dated a Phillies fan- when they won the World series, we went to the parade. I even had a hat, which I wore with pride alllllll the time!
Sounds like a beautiful time!

Quote:
I made alot of mistakes when I was younger.....
Yeah--like giving that up!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #355
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Ellen! And it looks like you must have had a birthday too, so Happy Birthday a little late.

Wow - the stadium tour looks amazing - really, and I'm not even a huge baseball fan (I think I made it to that stadium ONCE if you don't count walking my dog by it while a game was going on). I wonder if my brother knows about this - he still lives in SF and is a HUGE baseball fan (although a Mariners fan…). I am going to tell him! So glad that y'all had such a great time!

And the Segway tour sounds like so much fun too. What a great way to see the sights. I am not surprised at all that Ady commented on how wonderful your boys are - they really seem like such well-mannered teens.

Oh, man, it's been a loooooooong time since you've stopped for a cocktail or a glass of wine though……..
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #356
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Great update! Love the garden pics. Happy belated birthday!

Are you packed yet for your cruise? Are you doing a TR for that?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #357
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

I know Ellen! I love to cruise. I think it is my favorite way to vacation anymore. And the Eastern is I think our favorite destinations, besides Key West and that was just awesome.

I plan on watching the fireworks from the Top Of the World Lounge, as we are staying at BLT, on Christmas Eve. I sure hope they will be open I just cant wait. And on Christmas day we are doing the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT. We are eating at Rose & Crown. And on the 26th we are having dinner at Narcoossee's. And Friday we have no plans as of yet. Except Osborne lights that night. And pack back up for the cruise! Cuz Saturday morning I plan on being at the port by 10:30! Yep, I'm an early bird cuz I wanna get on the ship ASAP.

I just hope the weather for our drive down will be good. I don't want that ice that is going on now in our path.

Sorry, getting windy here. I'm just so excited!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #358
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I can't believe all the stuff you have done in just the short time you have been there. you know how to plan a trip!!!!!!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #359
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
...because we all know from experience there's nothing your family loves more than riding around San Francisco on 2-wheeled vehicles.

OMG- this made me snort coffee out of my nose I was laughing so hard!

Ok, I want to see some parkas!

We would have loved to see them too- the coldest summer you ever spent is in San Francisco is NO JOKE!!!

Shameless plug!

Gotta put them in where you can... it's all about subliminal advertising...

You guys need to be prompted?

Well, of COURSE not, but still nice to be prompted!

Careful, you could be banned from the boards here!

Hey! That Ady Lady was a riot and we saw alot of very cool stuff! I will take my chances-

Sounds like a beautiful time!
Yeah--like giving that up!
Make that 2x that I snorted coffee out of my nose while reading what you replied!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #360
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Ellen! And it looks like you must have had a birthday too, so Happy Birthday a little late.

Thanks! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, too, Roni!

Wow - the stadium tour looks amazing - really, and I'm not even a huge baseball fan (I think I made it to that stadium ONCE if you don't count walking my dog by it while a game was going on). I wonder if my brother knows about this - he still lives in SF and is a HUGE baseball fan (although a Mariners fan…). I am going to tell him! So glad that y'all had such a great time!

It was realy entertaining- I am sure your brother would absolutely LOVE it- it is so cool to go into all those places you would normally not have access to!

And the Segway tour sounds like so much fun too. What a great way to see the sights. I am not surprised at all that Ady commented on how wonderful your boys are - they really seem like such well-mannered teens.

Sometimes they are really well mannered, and sometimes they are not, lol- they're TEENAGERS! But thank you! Really, they are probably just snotty to us- usually to other adults they are well behaved.

Oh, man, it's been a loooooooong time since you've stopped for a cocktail or a glass of wine though……..
I KNOW!! I'm thirsty, aren't you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Great update! Love the garden pics. Happy belated birthday!

Thank you Beth!

Are you packed yet for your cruise? Are you doing a TR for that?
No- not packed yet- but I did leave a bunch of clean clothes in a suitcase from ST John and I have been throwing stuff in a corner for a while that needs to go, like a silver bowtie for pods on NYE and a bunch of craft supplies I need to create FE gifts from- so Yea- I need to get on that, lol! leaving in 16 days!!!

And I will ABSOLUTELY do a TR on that one- I am thinking I may even do live posts on FB- on my TA page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
I know Ellen! I love to cruise. I think it is my favorite way to vacation anymore. And the Eastern is I think our favorite destinations, besides Key West and that was just awesome.

I very much prefer the eastern over western, too- it is so much more beautiful, and I like having more sea days, too. Although I do love a Key West itinerary as much as you do! What I really wish is that they would shake it up, though- I would have gone back on the Fantasy (or Magic) this summer instead of Oasis if they had a southern option, which of course, they don't have in August. And i am not interested in going on a Western in August- I think it would be BRUTAL in Mexico, etc- at least, that's what my Mexican friends have told me about August- they said it is really super-duper hot there then, not the Tradewinds experience you get on an Eastern itinerary (we wemt on Explorer of the Seas a few years ago in August and the temps were perfect-). I am SO EXCITED though, about our cruise in 2 1/2 WEEKS!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

I plan on watching the fireworks from the Top Of the World Lounge, as we are staying at BLT, on Christmas Eve. I sure hope they will be open I just cant wait. And on Christmas day we are doing the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT. We are eating at Rose & Crown. And on the 26th we are having dinner at Narcoossee's. And Friday we have no plans as of yet. Except Osborne lights that night. And pack back up for the cruise! Cuz Saturday morning I plan on being at the port by 10:30! Yep, I'm an early bird cuz I wanna get on the ship ASAP.

Very nice- we are arriving a little earlier now on the 26th, and I am hoping to be able to get into MK to see Christmas Wishes that night- I have some FP+ times booked too- then going to DHS early on the 27th to ride RnRC and ToT- moving over to EPCOT for the rest of the day with our FP+ and Candlelight Processional package at La Hacienda. Going to end up that night in the Ditch- have to visit Bulmaro and Pepe and give them a little Christmas gift! Our car is coming at 11 for the port- we are ok with arriving a little later after the crowds.

I just hope the weather for our drive down will be good. I don't want that ice that is going on now in our path.

I'm nervous about flights!! Fingers are crossed for mild temps!

Sorry, getting windy here. I'm just so excited!!!!!!!
ME TOO!!!! no apology necessary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I can't believe all the stuff you have done in just the short time you have been there. you know how to plan a trip!!!!!!
LOL- well THAT'S a relief!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: