Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #226
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Somehow I think I fell behind. Not sure how that happened. Are you doing ninja updates or something?

Anyway, I think Alcatraz looks way cool. Especially in that eerie early-morning fog they have going on there. How did you arrange that?

Thanks for the tips on getting tickets and the early bird tour. I'll have to lock that away for future reference.

The tour just looks way cool. I think I'm going to show the pictures of The Hole to my kids next time they fight over...well, it doesn't matter what they fight over.

I bet the views of the city are spectacular from there! If you can see it, that is.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #227
Beth D
DIS Veteran

OK, i know I posted last week here, but can't find it?

Anyway, love your alcatraz pics! The place looks phenomenal in it's creepiness! The fog over the city is awesome!

I'll never say your calamari looks disgusting! It's my dad's favorite food! But not mine!

Can't wait to see what happens next!
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #228
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Wow that was some tour !!! I definitely think I would like to take it !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #229
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post

No, Cynthia, these stairs are NOT for you-

Oh man, you are no fun! You know I would have gone up.

I haven't been to Alcatraz since I was a little kid, like maybe 10 and the boys have never been. We really should do it next time we are down with the kids. What a fun, and creepy morning! I had NO idea families lived there. That is a total trip!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #230
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I know! It's so crazy the things that attract me. "let's go to a prison and then ride the Space mountain."
Umm- hellOOOOOO- how do you think I planned this vacation?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
What a creepy place - especially with the fog! It would be an interesting tour though.
Yes- what will be MORE interesting is seeing who snorkels the longest in SXM in less than 8 weeks, Cruise girlfriend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Another interesting place in California that I've never been to. I'm going to have to schedule some time to be a tourist in my home state!
Yea- that's what I always think-you DO need to be a tourist in your own state- we ALL do- I have lived in NJ my entire life, and I have NEVER been to the statue of liberty! I see her ALL THE TIME- it is just wrong!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #231
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Love the Alcatraz update. What a change the time you visit makes. We have been to Alcatraz three times and always went later in the day and the place was always packed.

Wow! I have heard that, but my only experience there is what you just saw, so- very hard to imagine. I will have to tell my family to thank me extra tomorrow for how lucky they are to have me planning all their vacays, lol-

BTW - I made a note of that seafood restaurant you went to - we still want to do California in 2016 and that sounds right up Tom's street.
AWESOME!! But PLEEEEEEEEZ ask tom to order the Cioppino- it has been published (their recipe) in Saveur magazine, which is no slouch when it comes to food- http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipe...-Mare-Cioppino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Wow! Awesome photos and very creepy place. The story about the hole gives me the chills!
THAT was NOT a good place- I don't recommend the hole! LOL!!!!!(sorry- it just sounds so bad!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Really creepy place, bet there are some bad vibes there considering the population which was living there!
I think you might have something there......

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
The pics are amazing. Looks like a gorgeous city to visit.

Truly, it is- everyone should go!

LOL the Goofy cut out.

Yea- ......
I now have the Full House theme in my head. LOL

OOPS- you can blame those olson twins for bein so darn cute it JUST WON'T DIE!

I bookmarked his website for when we get out there.

Cool! Say hi from us!

LOL at the dessert menu.

Yea- it's very popular with many!

Great pics of Alcatraz. The night tour sounds like fun.
Let me know how that goes for ya if ya make it back.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Ellen! Again - I am so sorry that I got so far behind! I was counting on being "subscribed" and something went awry - I'm so glad you popped back into my TR so my rapidly aging memory was jarred!

Yea- and then I STILL need to catch up! So sorry that life gets sooo busy!

Not totally caught up yet, but the tour sounds amazing! I am seriously considering doing something like that. I lived in SF for years, but I didn't visit half those places. Something about living somewhere for me - I can "do that anytime" so I never do it!

That's really true- when you are somewhere all the time you see it a certain way- you should put your tourist panties on, GIRL!

Of all the photos though my absolute favorite is the one where the woman just sat down and joined the photo!!! That is so hilarious! I can't even stand it!!!!!!!
Yea- it's totally ridiculous, and oh so perfect!

Last edited by podsnel; 11-08-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #232
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Thumbs up *** LUVIN' It !! ***

.....mental note -

1) Got 12 pounds budgeted....CHECK!!
(so WHEN I gain 12 lbs on my upcoming San Fran adventure, net gain = ZERO.)

2) Got my wine tasting monies all set & budgeted - CHECK!!
(all your pics ROCK!!! and the video of the Tour Guide Monkee?? PRICELESS!)

Your pics of Alcatraz?? ** WILD !! ** LOVE IT!!
Can't wait to hear more -

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #233
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Yes- what will be MORE interesting is seeing who snorkels the longest in SXM in less than 8 weeks, Cruise girlfriend!

I can't wait!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #234
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
LOL ya when we went and they said families lived there the boys thought it was soo cool... They kept saying wow they got to live on an island.. um ya NO its not like Castaway Cay! LMAO

Yea- just a little different, lol!

Animal Style my favorite way to get dirty LOL
Of course it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Phew! All caught up!

I have been trying to catch up on yours- now THAT'S a CHALLENGE!! You are a writing machine!!

Your dinner in Little Italy looks amazing. And your evening out sounds so fun - I am pretty sure that is the same Ferry Building wine bar I occasionally visited after work (on the rare occasion that I commuted by ferry). Love that building!

It is awesome! I would be in there all the time if I lived in SF-

The Alcatraz tour looks so cool! I suppose I will have to wait a few years until DD is a bit older though.

Yes- I would imagine your mini princess would be a bit bored there-

Can't wait to hear more!
Me too! I wonder what's coming next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
That is so funny! Some people make you It reminds me of a time back home - we were at a Chinese place celebrating 3 family birthdays in April, and the owner went in the back and got a lady we didn't know and seated her at our table so the staff could sing Happy Birthday and then he took a polaroid photo for their wall! We have often laughed about that moment. Guess he didn't want to use up two photos.
What??? That's soo funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
All caught up again! The wine bar looks like a nice place to visit, but don't get too comfortable on that stool!

Yea- they did have more reasonable glasses- those were just their special bottles for the day. We ended up buying 2 or 3 bottles for the rest of the trip-

Your seafood dinner looked like a great place. Jim would have loved all the tentacles and everything. His fav is the Cioppino I would probably just go for the steamed clams. love them.

Me too- I am a big clam fan. But I am an is=diot for not trying that Cioppino, I think-

ALCATRAZ! Jim said it about every 5 minutes just to bug me when we were there - it was just kind of in the background every time we turned around. He had already visited during a Basketball tourney and I really don't do old prison tours - just creeps me out! Even your pic with the look back to the city through the fog looks ominous. You got some great shots. Yeah, not a place I would want to raise my kids.
The whole thing was creepy, I have to say- but truly fascinating. And I would not have wanted to raise my family there EVER. So brutal!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #235
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora03 View Post
Hi Ellen,
We purchased our wine for our Alaska cruise in that wine store at the Ferry Bldg! Got a nice souvenir bag as well.

They have an excellent selection, don't they? We purchased a few bottles for our trip as well-

You picked a great location to stay. We stayed at the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf and loved it, but EVERY tour we took started and ended at the Ferry Building!

I was really glad we stayed there.

Loving your report. Glad to see you are back to posting.

Norah
Yea- and then I took another break, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
I was really far behind but thanks to your links I am now caught up.

Glad they help!

Loving the TR so far, San Francisco looks like such a cool place, My Dad has always said it is one of his favorite cities to visit. I will have to get there someday.

Yes you will- I think you would be hard pressed to find ANY person who doesn't love that city- it is one of the best!

Those hills and steps were crazy! Thank goodness you only had to go down them and not up!

Absolutely!

Alcatraz definitely looked creepy
It was, but also fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Somehow I think I fell behind. Not sure how that happened. Are you doing ninja updates or something?

Look who's talking!

Anyway, I think Alcatraz looks way cool. Especially in that eerie early-morning fog they have going on there. How did you arrange that?

I am just very special that way.

Thanks for the tips on getting tickets and the early bird tour. I'll have to lock that away for future reference.

Sure thing! I will be writing something up for the travel agency I work for that will have more details.

The tour just looks way cool. I think I'm going to show the pictures of The Hole to my kids next time they fight over...well, it doesn't matter what they fight over.

Yea- it is most definitely NOT a good place to go-

I bet the views of the city are spectacular from there! If you can see it, that is.
Yes, that was part of the frustration for the inmates- to be so close to such a beautiful place, yet so very, very far.....
Old 11-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #236
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
OK, i know I posted last week here, but can't find it?

I just looked a little- couldn't find it either-

Anyway, love your alcatraz pics! The place looks phenomenal in it's creepiness! The fog over the city is awesome!

The fog is a big part of that city-

I'll never say your calamari looks disgusting! It's my dad's favorite food! But not mine!

LOVE calamari- so glad I don't have a tentacle phobia and I can just suck 'em up!

Can't wait to see what happens next!
Me too! It's so exciting, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Wow that was some tour !!! I definitely think I would like to take it !!
You would really enjoy it Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Oh man, you are no fun! You know I would have gone up.

I do know that, yes!

I haven't been to Alcatraz since I was a little kid, like maybe 10 and the boys have never been. We really should do it next time we are down with the kids. What a fun, and creepy morning! I had NO idea families lived there. That is a total trip!
Have to say that if Pods came home one day and told me to pack it up, we're movin to the Rock, I think it would be time to say Adios Muchacho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
.....mental note -

1) Got 12 pounds budgeted....CHECK!!
(so WHEN I gain 12 lbs on my upcoming San Fran adventure, net gain = ZERO.)

Excellent! But you will be fine as long as you walk everywhere!

2) Got my wine tasting monies all set & budgeted - CHECK!!
(all your pics ROCK!!! and the video of the Tour Guide Monkee?? PRICELESS!)

Glad you liked it!

Your pics of Alcatraz?? ** WILD !! ** LOVE IT!!
Can't wait to hear more -

I will do my best!

T.T.F.N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post

I can't wait!
I know- that is going to be a fun day!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #237
podsnel

Now that we were back in the city, we decided it was time for some food- before our afternoon bike ride.

Which was going to be living hell, but I didn't know that yet.

I suggested we go to In N Out Burger over in Fisherman's Wharf- on the way....

I read that at this time of year these are frozen, not fresh- is that true?

It was not even noon yet, and already it was crowded- although this crowd is NOTHIN compared to what came in after 12-

Several DISpeeps had recommended we order Animal Style- so that's how Pods and I ordered our cheeseburgers- but without mustard. I REALLY do not like mustard on my burger, it just is WRONG.

YUMMMMM....totally missing this burger....

the boys had doubles, but plain-

And of course-

The verdict? Those are some fine and delicious burgers you got out there in Cali. Tyler is so enamoured with them he wants to open one in our town.

Which we are considering as an alternative to a $250 K college education- either that, or a Bushwacker truck. But I digress....

So, after our yummy lunch, we walked right next door to the Bike and Roll, listened to the lecture about where to ride our bikes, and then handed over our vouchers, only to find out DUH we were not at the right place! LOL- I am an idiot! I had gotten half off on the bike rentals using Groupon, but that was at Blazing Saddles NOT Bike and Roll, where we were.

I would like to point out- for future reference- that ALL FOUR OF US listened to the detailed presentation about where to ride your bike here. That would be bike tour map explanation #ONE of the day.

Just sayin.

We hoofed it over to Blazing Saddles after that. On the way, we passed the Cannery- an establishment that in 2 visits to SF I STILL have not visited along with Ghirardelli Square (this is where ghirardelli is located, so this is an extremely sad and annoying little factoid about my travels...).

Blazing Saddles was a MUCH larger operation than the other, and we were issued bikes, helmets, etc. THEN shown a video of WHERE TO RIDE THE BIKES ON THE SELF GUIDED TOUR. That would be tour map explanation #TWO of the day.

That ALL FOUR of us watched.

Just sayin.

Up next- why Pods is lucky I am not big enough to throw him off a bridge and how extremely close I came to spending the rest of my days in a penitentiary in Cali...oh the joys of family vacation.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #238
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post

The verdict? Those are some fine and delicious burgers you got out there in Cali. Tyler is so enamoured with them he wants to open one in our town.

Which we are considering as an alternative to a $250 K college education- either that, or a Bushwacker truck. But I digress....

Is Tyler a junior? Tell him to slow down. Sarah is right behind him and I am NOT ready to start researching universities. Does he have preferences? Sarah is saying Stanford but I think she should go to Gonzaga. My ex can pay for it since I paid for him to go there. Sounds fair to me.

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #239
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I have to get back to California just for the In-N-Out!!! I miss those!

Jill in CO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: