Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #166
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

And then...the end-

I was NOT excited to go down this last part. Something about a fear of heights and sheer terror of not being able to hold the railings nearly tight enough.

I guess the railings just were so simple and easy to see through- I don't know. All I can say is that it freaked me out a little as I took one. step. at. a. time. I also did not go all the way i wanted to on the Mist trail in Yosemite because I was still shaking from this descent- and I REALLY regret that particular vacation choice.

It just gave me vertigo, that last part!!

I would never have thought to walk those steps had it not been for our guide- it was really, really nice to have gone there without any research for a change!! Hiring Silver lion was a great idea for us. Anyway, at the bottom of the steps, or thereabouts, was-

Next, we were back to tour some residential areas, specifically Pacific Heights, including a drive by Larry Ellison's house, and his daughter Nicola's house- which is home to a robot statue named Goliath (you can look up that one yourselves, I don't want to get in any trouble here on the DIS!). First, a Victorian-

Larry Ellison's?

We stopped at these steps in the Presidio- which Holgar said was how wealthy people use a stairmaster, lol.

Next we would be exploring Haight Ashbury, passing through the OMG-I-Love-this-beautiful-park-but-it's-freakin-cold-here Golden Gate Park-

We were dropped off to explore again. This particular shop was interesting EVEN to Tyler-

In case you were stumped on what to get that special someone for the holidays....

It's always 5:00 somewhere...but in Haight Ashbury, it's always 4:20 here. Seriously. This clock is permanently set to 4:20. And in case you aren't aware of the significance of that particular time of day, I direct you to Google one more time.....(don't feel bad- I didn't know, either.)

Pretty sure this is not authorized by Disney execs-

Cont'd next post

podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #167
podsnel

We were just about to the end of our 4 hour tour with the monkey, but we still had time for one last iconic stop before he dropped us in North Beach for dinner. We had to go see those Painted Ladies....

Silver Lion (Holgar) charges $75 an hour with a 4 hour minimum. He offers tours all over the SF Bay area, as well as out to wine country and down to Monterey. He is willing to do whatever you want, and is VERY knowledgeable- over and over you see reviews saying "We could never have covered so much ground on our own" and I completely believe that to be true! I would STILL be trying to figure out where those Filbert steps were, I am sure, and never could I have walked them and seen HA or anything else the same day- what a nice man offering a great service.

And yes- I know you want to know- of COURSE I kissed the monkey goodbye.

Up next- dinner in North Beach at Sotto Mare.....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #168
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Beautiful pics!

And now I have the theme song to "Full House" running on loop in my head.

Edited to add: Just looked up the 4:20 thing.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #169
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Awesome update and yes I googled why it is always 4:20

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #170
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Wow! That is some SERIOUS food! LOVE all the photos and I made a note of the place, so when we finally make it to California we can pay it a visit.
I do hope you get out there- although I do understand how far away it must seem! Maybe on your inevitable way to Hawaii one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'sMaman View Post
I'm lovin' your TR so far and it's only the beginning! I can't wait to read what's to come. So happy you enjoyed Yank Sing! It is definitely pricey, but now you are officially a dim sum snob. Some of their dishes are pretty hard to beat. I'm still not sure how they get that soup in those Shanghai dumplings. I also love how adventurous your boys are when it comes to trying new foods. You've taught them well.
Hello there! THANK YOU for making me go to yank Sing! I was on the fence about it (reviews can be a bad thing sometimes....) but when you said it was good, I was SOLD!!

And thanks for the compliment on their eating- Tyler really DOES eat everything- Timmy is a little more particular, but for some reason he always surprises us on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
I want to tell you how reading this update went. Here are my responses.

Well, my dinner is pretty much going to suck now. I'll think I'll have rum for dinner instead.

How was the rum? I have had rum for dinner before.

It ain't pretty.

Gorgeous shots, Ellen.

Oh boy, I would love to just pop in there. I have dim sum in walking distance. I should just go count my change.
YUMMM...did you go? Or did Rum win?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
That all looks so heavenly! I love asian food, and especially some dumplings! Thank goodness we have a little chinese place in town that makes homemade dumplings!
Lucky you! I need to find that around here-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Yum! Love Dim Sum. I have not had it in a while, NY Chinatown is so small and so crowded.
That meal looked delicious.
Aside from being so crowded (which I fully agree- it's a zoo) is there somewhere you reccommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniosmom View Post
Oh my, I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at your dim sum pics! Seriously, though, that redwood forest is absolutely breathtaking! Can't wait to see and read more.

Well, I have left lots more for you to see today!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #171
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Tour Monkey did good! Maybe I'm weird but I want one of those shrunken heads. And I didn't need to Google 420....I've lived in Colorado too long not to know that one now!

Jill in CO
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #172
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I would never have managed those stairs !!!That store sure did have a VARIETY of choices So Jill why is it 4 :20p , without googling !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #173
Beth D
DIS Veteran

LOL! I know about 4:20! (but it's because i went to Ohio University with all the other hippies) Nearby there is an intersection of routes 4 & 20, and a local radio station has a daily song at 4:20 that is rather psychedelic.

(Englishrose - just look at the goofy sigh, that says it all!)

I wouldn't have done those steps either Ellen! I agree, it's something about the openness of them. Steps that have stuff below them are fine, but open air below, uh uh, no way!

Your pics are all so great!

Are you going to post any from St. Thomas - like a mini TR within a TR?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #174
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I've got to go to San Fran since seeing your pictures, love the painted ladies. The views were beautiful.

I completely understand your trepidation about the stairs. I have a fear of heights also, especially since we went to the Grand Canyon. People there were doing some crazy crap, it totally freaked me out!

Now if I give up Disney for a year I could visit Cali next year!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #175
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

Add me to the list that now has the Full House theme song in my head!

How crazy are those steps? Is there no other way for the people that live there to get to their houses? The cool part is you would be in shape if you lived there!

I had to google the 4:20 reference as well.

Christine

chattadisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #176
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Loving your TR-as usual!! We are trying to decide between a West Coast trip and Hawaii for summer of 2015. I love reading about your adventures and getting ideas for some of our own!
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! That is a tough choice- both are incredible- but Hawaii is my favorite. Especially Kauai. If someone handed me a ticket right now and I could only stay a day with all that flying??? I would take it in a heartbeat. I love it THAT MUCH. Good luck deciding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
Fabulous photos (as usual!!)-- love the moody Golden Gate bridge shot.

But OMG, the dim sum! I adore that stuff. Suddenly my leftovers aren't looking so appealing for dinner tonight!
LOL- yea, those pics are killing ME, too! It was fabulous and tasty, that's for sure-

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
....I've got '1700 more hours' ta go
before I leave for the Rose Bowl & my SO CAL Adventure.......

I am living vicariously thru ya and ......

well..........

YA LEFT US HANGING!!!!!

Um.......we ALL MISS YA & Hope ya crank dis here bugger back up.

Hmmmmm.....have u been MONKEE KISSIN' AGAIN??? IS THAT THE REASON 4 THE DELAY??

Details!! We wanna details!!

P.S. I am now at a 72 pound weight loss!! Details on my ongoing weight loss journey can be found on my SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL trip report listed below in my signature. (starting on posting #68 forward).

T.T.F.N.
&
Cheerrs
72 LBS????? You are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What have you been doing to lose the weight?

And yea- sorry- but I was away for a week in STJ, followed by the craziness that ensues when I return from vacay. But here I am again, to get you psyched for YOUR fabulous trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
that is AWESOME congrats..... I need to get my rearS (ya plural LOL) in gear and get back to the gym... maybe Monday LMAO
St JOHN..... and we went to the Baths this time on our boat day (without Thomas, because we couldn't all fit in his boat. But we did see him while we were at the baths, so that was good!)- VERY VERY cool!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #177
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Beautiful pics!

And now I have the theme song to "Full House" running on loop in my head.

Edited to add: Just looked up the 4:20 thing.
Everywhere you look...... We used to watch that show every week when it was really on- Pods LOVED those Olsen twins- he would always say he hoped we would have a little girl just like her...Oh well on that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Awesome update and yes I googled why it is always 4:20
Thanks, and it IS really funny, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Tour Monkey did good! Maybe I'm weird but I want one of those shrunken heads. And I didn't need to Google 420....I've lived in Colorado too long not to know that one now!

Jill in CO
LOL- of COURSE you do. Tyler knew, too. And if you want a shrunken head, you would LOVE that store- it's been on some cable show, Holgar said- CRAZEEEE stuff in that place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I would never have managed those stairs !!!That store sure did have a VARIETY of choices So Jill why is it 4 :20p , without googling !!!
Type in 4:20 and then you'll know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
LOL! I know about 4:20! (but it's because i went to Ohio University with all the other hippies) Nearby there is an intersection of routes 4 & 20, and a local radio station has a daily song at 4:20 that is rather psychedelic.

I felt ridiculous that I DIDn't know!!

(Englishrose - just look at the goofy sigh, that says it all!)

EXACTLY!

I wouldn't have done those steps either Ellen! I agree, it's something about the openness of them. Steps that have stuff below them are fine, but open air below, uh uh, no way!

That's right- it was how open they were and mentally knowing that they were just kinda hangin there- I could have gone up, no problem- coming down I was doing deep breathing!

Your pics are all so great!

Are you going to post any from St. Thomas - like a mini TR within a TR?
Thanks! And yea- I'll post some- but no TR- too busy trying to do this and finish DISmoms eventually. We are going on the Fantasy for NYE- gotta think that is pretty TR worthy, too- ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I've got to go to San Fran since seeing your pictures, love the painted ladies. The views were beautiful.

One of the ladies needs a facelift- she's lookin a little haggard-

I completely understand your trepidation about the stairs. I have a fear of heights also, especially since we went to the Grand Canyon. People there were doing some crazy crap, it totally freaked me out!

That would be Timmy- can't ride an elevator, would probably do a handstand on the edge of the GC.

Now if I give up Disney for a year I could visit Cali next year!
Yea- see, this is where the problems begin. But if you justify it with you will be in DisneyLAND which is INCREDIBLE, you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
Add me to the list that now has the Full House theme song in my head!

Me too!

How crazy are those steps? Is there no other way for the people that live there to get to their houses? The cool part is you would be in shape if you lived there!

There was one street you crossed in about the middle- that was where I took the pic of the house with the Bouganvilla. Crazy, huh? And you would be in GREAT shape!!

I had to google the 4:20 reference as well.

Christine
We have all learned so MUCH today, haven't we? 4:20 and everything!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #178
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
That is (almost) exactly right! I was in St John in the USVI for a week with Pods and 5 other couples- our friends Janie & Kevin were renewing their vows after 25 years of wedded bliss.
Wow! Sounds amazing! I'd love to see St. John someday.

Quote:
Some nice views from over there of the city-
Very nice. I've come to appreciate this view from watching Mythbusters.

Quote:
And not only that, but Holgar made the MOST of EVERY hill in that car- he whipped that minivan around like it was a mini-cooper!

Quote:
Like riding a rollercoaster- complete with San Fran themed music for the full effect, lol!
Highway engineers.

Quote:
Next up was the Cable Car Museum, which is a free attraction in the city. This is where all the cables meet to pull all the cable cars up hill in SF- when the trolleys go downhill, as Holgar explained, it is all gravity and brakes.
Looks like a very cool museum!

Quote:
On our way out, I asked the boys to sit in this car for a pic. As I was getting ready to take their photo, this lady sat down with them. Oooo-kaaaaayyyyyy......

Watch out! It's a mad photo-bomber!

Quote:
Yes, that's a statue of Christopher Columbus. Why? Just 'cuz it's San Francisco and why not. The Coit Tower was built in 1933 at the top of Telegraph Hill with money bequethed to the city by Lillie Coit, a wealthy socialite who had a lifelong affinity for the fire dept. The tower is often said to resemble a firehose, it is also often said it does not. Why? Because this is San Francisco, and that's how it goes, we were told.
Next you'll have to explain why Christopher Columbus would have a fire hose.

Quote:
These were the Filbert Steps, and WOW were we glad we were only walking down them and not also walking up! Along the steps are many homes, some of which are only accessible by these steps, as well as beautiful gardens, which are maintained by the people who live in these homes. It was VERY cool!
Yeah, I can see where going downhill would be more appealing.

Quote:
Yea, that's right- it's a street sign in a garden on some steps. In case your lost. Or walking alone because you take too many pictures and your family is MEN who DON'T and have left you in the dust.

The beauty of the digital age is that you can take lots of pictures without worrying about using up film or development costs. The downside is that you can freely take 20 pictures of the same flower.

Quote:
I have read there are feral parrots here, too. San Francisco is a trip, man!
Awwk! Polly wants to eat your brains! Awwwk!

Quote:
I was NOT excited to go down this last part. Something about a fear of heights and sheer terror of not being able to hold the railings nearly tight enough.
Have Cynthia take you on the Koko Head hike sometime.

Quote:
In case you were stumped on what to get that special someone for the holidays....

Quote:
It's always 5:00 somewhere...but in Haight Ashbury, it's always 4:20 here. Seriously. This clock is permanently set to 4:20. And in case you aren't aware of the significance of that particular time of day, I direct you to Google one more time.....(don't feel bad- I didn't know, either.)
Dude...Know what would be cool? A statue of a fire hose, man...

Quote:
Pretty sure this is not authorized by Disney execs-

Looks like you got to see quite a bit! SF looks like a beautiful city.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #179
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

What a great tour. I never woukd have thought of hiring a guide, but I can see where his knowledge of the town helped you to squeeze in a lot in a very shirt time.

I woukd have freaked out going down those stairs, not sure I could do it.

We have a flock of feral parrots here in Long Beach too they are really noisy. It's always 4:20 in HA, but April 20 is like a National Holiday there!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: