Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #46
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post

I dunno but I'm more worried about elevator doors.. more deaths in movies are caused by elevator doors...
Lol, you made me laugh
Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #47
numberonenole
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the heads up regarding the monorail doors. My family will pay more attention when we are exiting now.

It makes me sad that people are so worried about lawsuits and so centered on themselves that they can't be bothered to ask if you are ok when something like this occurs. A simple gesture of kindness should not be too much to ask.

I don't post here a lot because there are so many people whose first instinct is to be mean.
numberonenole is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #48
bdtracey
There are no dumb questions but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots

Wow talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill (no pregnancy pun intended )

Bottom line: Monorail doors can close unexpectedly. Be aware of your surroundings people.
May 2006 - All Star Sports, May 2007 - POFQ, Dec 2008 - DL HoJo, Sept 2009 - POFQ, May 2011 - CSR/SSR, Sept 2011 - 1st DVC Stay, Apr 2012 - AKV/BCV, May 2013 - Pop, Sept 2013 AKV/BCV, Apr 2014 OKW/AKV
Me (31), DW (30), DS (5), DD (4), DS (2), Craizy Daizy
bdtracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #49
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

I glanced through this thread and see that it' gone off in different directions and comments based on what people perceived from original post.

Bottom line to me is I don't trust the monorails and prefer not to use them at Disney. This post along with other posts and personal experience of monorails getting stuck, being delayed and having to wait on the track or service being interrupted due to a problem makes me rather take the bus!

We enjoy the EPCOT resorts and in staying there most of our trips very rarely need to use the monorail.

One thing I do wish they would do and maybe need to do is offer bus service from EPCOT to MK. One day we were leaving EPCOT to go to MK and I suggested we try a bus and well, duh, there are no buses from EPCOT to MK. Yes it makes sense as there is the monorail, but maybe if they alleviate some of the monorail traffic it will help cut back on break downs and malfunctions....
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #50
cka
Earning My Ears

Sorry for your experience OP. Too make you feel better, a few years ago I was on a crowded monorail with my friends and a small child was having a full conversation with her finger and then staring at me with this evil eye. I was and still am convinced she was a demon child cursing me to the depths of the extinct land of Mr Toads Wild Ride.

Cristina
Have a magical day!

Disney -November 1996, April 2006, January 2010, October 2012, October 2013, and next up...November 2015!!

cka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #51
Freezing Cold B
Mouseketeer

That would not be a pleasant experience, but I doubt anyone was seriously injured. If (which is pointless to talk about "ifs", since it's over and done with) your wife would've been nailed in the stomach, she and the baby likely would've been fine. Women take hits all the time during pregnancies. No, it's not ideal, but the mothers body is a fairly safe and protective environment. This must be your first baby?

My homes away from home: Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Grand Californian

Me (27) DBF(29) DM DSD
Freezing Cold B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

I just want to say that the OP didn't say he wanted compensation, He also did said the mother or father were complaining asking what they were going to do about it. That doesn't always mean $$ or stuff.
I'm sorry, if I am pushing a double stroller out with my 2 kids and a door closes with half my family hanging out, I think I would be more worried about this NEVER happening again and my words to a CM might be "what are you going to do about it". Same as this parent. Never did OP say mom jammed the stroller in to try and stop the doors from closing. Where does this stuff come from???
We weren't there so instead of making up our own scenario let's just use the OPs. Sorry this happened to you OP. I hope they fixed it. Machines are suppose to work properly or be fixed.

P.S. Snakes was a little funny. Inside joke, I guess!!
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #53
revdon64
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyseyfert
Whoa...whoa...whoa people....

Was gone for a little while and look what happened.

Want to address a few things:

1) As far as the "snake comment", I was trying to address that you don't put something up in a thread like that. Not trying to gain extra sympathy.

2) People have been misreading, misreading, misreading. My OP was about warning people. I'm not trying to gain sympathy. I was surprised about the reactions of the CM's, but I wasn't trying to gain extra sympahty.It was other people that took it too far...which takes me to my 3rd point...

3) All of you who have said, "Well, if it was me..." do not fully understand. Her belly could have gone right up against the door and smashed in there...you're trying to make light of what we had felt. And until you actually experience it, you can't try to put in your two cents or you end up saying something wrong.

4) I might have only 67 posts, but I have been to Disneyworld 8 times in the past 7 years...so guess what, I know a lot...I just don't post much on Disboards...I was trying to warn everyone about the monorail malfunction...that's it. Guess I should have thought about what I had posted before. Not much love here, is there?
So let me see if I understand you - we shouldn't comment unless we've experienced what you did, but you originally posted this as a warning to others. Am I the only one that sees a disconnect there?

revdon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #54
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

There are a lot of parents who have been through pregnancy or the pregnancy of people we love. I fell on ice down a flight of stairs at 7 months. Scary yes. But babies and pregnant abdomens are tough stuff. Was I scared, yes. But experience says that thankfully she wasn't squished and that it is better to let it go. Dwelling doesn't do either of you any benefit.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #55
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

Thank you for the warning OP. I will add it to my growing list of concerns with the monorail. I have to agree with others that it's a shame some posters work so hard to create drama where there was none.

Hooked On The Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #56
Freezing Cold B
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revdon64 View Post
So let me see if I understand you - we shouldn't comment unless we've experienced what you did, but you originally posted this as a warning to others. Am I the only one that sees a disconnect there?
I think it's just a first time parents freaked out because they have this vision in their head of their child being smashed inside the wives belly. Which... is not likely going to happen from a monorail door. I can't even imagine how it would shut on a pregnant belly, I mean it's not like an arm. But, I think the problem is they are just a paranoid first time parent. I honestly don't think they are trying to cause drama, but I think they just wanted an outlet for their nerves. And, when everyone didn't say, "Oh you poor thing", they felt slighted.

I guess I can't say I've had a personal experience of having an accident while pregnant (because I've never been pregnant, I hate babies, I love kids, but I hate babies), but growing up in farm counting I've seen plenty of pregnant bellies take hits/kicks from animals, doors, machinery, etc.. I've only known one person to miscarry as a result, and that was a domestic violence situation.

My homes away from home: Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Grand Californian

Me (27) DBF(29) DM DSD
Freezing Cold B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #57
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Don't the doors close one at at a time?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #58
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Don't the doors close one at at a time?
Yes they do. Watching a video on youtube, I'm not sure how they would even close at the same time. That is very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GbwRJ5hTQ
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #59
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Yes they do. Watching a video on youtube, I'm not sure how they would even close at the same time. That is very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GbwRJ5hTQ
oooh! Something foul is afoot!
or is that a foot is something foul?
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #60
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyseyfert View Post

3) All of you who have said, "Well, if it was me..." do not fully understand. Her belly could have gone right up against the door and smashed in there...you're trying to make light of what we had felt. And until you actually experience it, you can't try to put in your two cents or you end up saying something wrong.
I think a lot of us understand better than you think. First time parents freak out about everything, but those of us who have been there and are past it can't help but find it amusing. Trust me, there is simply no way that the monorail doors could have caused your wife to lose the baby - that baby is incredibly well protected.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: