Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."

bringing friends- documents required

A question for those of you who have allowed your kiddos to bring friends on Disney trips-- My 15 year old is bringing a friend on our next trip and I'm wondering if I need to bring anything for the airline to show I have permission to take him out of state?

Also, did you take insurance info? What else should I be thinking about???
hollypoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
JessM
We all have a dream

My parents used to take my friends with us all the time. They usually brought a note from the parents giving them permission to take my friend with us but the ticketing agents never asked for it. We were only asked at the Canadian border one time.

We would also bring the friend's insurance card and a note that said my parents were allowed to make medical decisions for the child during the trip dates. That way if something happened we would be able to get updates on their condition, etc. We thankfully never needed this but its nice to have.

We also made sure we had all the contact numbers on a sheet of paper, the parents cell and home, a grandparent, the child's doctor, anything else you might want.

That's all we used to take and I took friends on quite a few trips to the world. Have a great trip!
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

For domestic air travel, you need no documentation.

You should bring his medical insurance card. No need for a notarized statement for medical care; as long as you can easily contact the parents if anything happens.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

it may be overkill but we took many kids on trips with us over the years, and ours went with others (esp grand parents)

we always took // or provided

a limited power of attorney outlining exactly what was OK: travel to where ever / out of the country on ship XXXX on DATES ..... and emergency medical decisions.

You can buy general forms at office supply or access online ... 2 witnesses are OK but notarized is better.

I DID NOT SAY this was required ... but I doubt this would ever be found to be insufficient....

on a cruise the medical insurance card is probably not worth squat ... does the insurance provide coverage out of the US? Seldom is this the case.....

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

You do not need any doucumnents other than an insurance card. Every other ducument can be forged and therefore useless. There is no way for any one at the airport or your destination to determine the authenticity of any document. TSA will not ask for nor look at them.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
it may be overkill but we took many kids on trips with us over the years, and ours went with others (esp grand parents)

we always took // or provided

a limited power of attorney outlining exactly what was OK: travel to where ever / out of the country on ship XXXX on DATES ..... and emergency medical decisions.

You can buy general forms at office supply or access online ... 2 witnesses are OK but notarized is better.

I DID NOT SAY this was required ... but I doubt this would ever be found to be insufficient....

on a cruise the medical insurance card is probably not worth squat ... does the insurance provide coverage out of the US? Seldom is this the case.....
We were talking about domestic travel. Even for international travel, you don't always need any documentation for taking a child not your own out of the country (except their passport). Sure, you can get all the documents you want for domestic travel; it's only your money and time you're wasting, so if it makes you feel better, do it.

Lots of medical insurance plans cover care outside the US; I know mine does. Also, many cruises are taken within the US or territories.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: