Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
tjkatie1014
Earning My Ears

Bus from AK to DTD

I came across a thread a couple of weeks ago mentioning a test of transportation that would bring you from AK to DTD. Just wondering if anyone who has been there recently used this. What bus stop did they drop you off at in DTD?

Also, just in case....what would you recommend to be the best option if there is not a direct bus?

Thanks! 5 more days!
tjkatie1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkatie1014 View Post
I came across a thread a couple of weeks ago mentioning a test of transportation that would bring you from AK to DTD. Just wondering if anyone who has been there recently used this. What bus stop did they drop you off at in DTD?

Also, just in case....what would you recommend to be the best option if there is not a direct bus?

Thanks! 5 more days!
Either get a taxi (quickest) or get on the bus for AKL. At AKL, wait for the DTD bus.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
From WDW Magic.

Quote:
For the first time, a direct bus service will run from one of the theme parks to Downtown Disney as part of a limited test.
Walt Disney World bus transportation

As part of a test, direct bus service will be available from Disney's Animal Kingdom to Downtown Disney.
Look for the route to be in service for all of September and October 2013, available daily from 3pm to 1am.

The bus will drop-off at the West Side bus stop, and a return service to Disney's Animal Kingdom will also be available from that same location.

============================
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Either get a taxi (quickest) or get on the bus for AKL. At AKL, wait for the DTD bus.
That'll work.

Or, take the AK bus to Saratoga Springs Resort and walk to DTD, next door.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Part of the reason for the direct AK-to-DtD bus is the parking lot construction at DtD. Since you are going in just 5 days (WooHoo!) I think you will find that the bus is still available.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer

I was just looking at this thread and was wondering - how long do you actually walk from Saratoga Springs to DTD? If it's not that long, isn't it easier to just grab a bus to Saratoga Springs at one of the theme parks and walk to DTD instead of first going to a resort and use that as a transfer point?
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohLover78 View Post
I was just looking at this thread and was wondering - how long do you actually walk from Saratoga Springs to DTD? If it's not that long, isn't it easier to just grab a bus to Saratoga Springs at one of the theme parks and walk to DTD instead of first going to a resort and use that as a transfer point?
Post #3 above.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It depends on what part of SSR you are coming from. The resort is huge. If you are staying in the Carousel section it is a very long walk (30ish minutes)...Congress Park, not so much (10 minutes or so). For those that would be taking the bus from AK, they would definitely want to get off at the Congress Park bus stop.

We find it to be a very pleasant walk and like to get a bit of light exercise in when possible to work off the vacation calories. As long as it isn't raining or too hot/humid we tend to walk.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Steve's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's been awhile since I walked it, but from what I recall it was a good 15-20 min. Be sure you get off at the right Saratoga stop. Got off at the wrong stop once and added a good 10 min extra to the walk.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. We always have horrible luck transfering at a resort going to DTD. Okay, I also might add it probably was a dumb idea to take a boat to Boardwalk one time because then it took us 30 mins to find the bus stop Next time we took a bus to AKL from AK just to have to wait 45mins for a DTD bus. Seriously. We have the worst luck getting to DTD. I think I'll try Saratoga Springs next time and just walk from there.
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

That'll work.

Or, take the AK bus to Saratoga Springs Resort and walk to DTD, next door.
I thought I remember reading that that path from SSR to DTD will be closed during DTD renovations. There is another path, going the other way from SSR to DTD, around the west side of the lake, that should still be open.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
I thought I remember reading that that path from SSR to DTD will be closed during DTD renovations. There is another path, going the other way from SSR to DTD, around the west side of the lake, that should still be open.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
maplevale
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We did this with a double stroller and walked it - it was about a 15 minute walk (one kid walking) and so nice and pretty along the water and through the trail - saw lots of little lizards and frogs!
maplevale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
joe1946
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
The "official" path is closed, but you can just walk to the Marketplace via Buena Vista Drive. We timed it last month, and it was a 10-minute walk from our room in Congress Park to Ghiradelli. By the way, can you spot the typo in this sign?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
For anyone wanting to take the bus to SSR and walk...

To go this way you would want to get off at The Springs bus stop. If you continue the top of the yellow line it will cross the pool and a road. The Springs bus stop is right there.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat
My Mickey waffle maker is a cheap park fix for me!
I like the scallops the best.

Quote:
The "official" path is closed, but you can just walk to the Marketplace via Buena Vista Drive. We timed it last month, and it was a 10-minute walk from our room in Congress Park to Ghiradelli.
I had thought about doing this but wasn't sure how safe it would be. Is there room to walk on the side, or are you pretty much walking in the road and hoping nobody will hit you?

I'm hoping they keep the bus service from AK past the end of October as I need that route on 11/2!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: