Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

Advice to keeping fit while at Disney!!

Hi Dis'ers. SO I have been working out now for about a year...have lost a little over 70 pounds and have kept it off by running 14 to 16 miles a week, eating right, as well as doing free weights and elliptical on the non running days. I work out 6 days a week, NO EXCEPTIONS. My dilemma is this...we are heading to Disney very soon for an 8 day vacation. I will do a full work out at the gym the morning we leave, (its a Monday). Our schedule is pretty full and I am a morning runner...so I will not have a good chance to run again until Thursday morning, hopefully Sat and Sun too. I am bringing a few weights and a work out ball with me for work outs in the room. We are staying at a moderate so there is no gym at the hotel. I would love any advice on eating right on the dining plan and also how missing a few days this week of vacay will effect my fitness routine, I have a 5k in January and want to be in top shape. I am a girl and I am 47 years old.. THANKS

klmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
PuppyPrincess
Too far from the Golden Dome and the Castle!

I have found that without really trying I walk an average of 10 miles a day while at Disney. Even on the dining plan and eating pretty much whatever I wanted, I lost 3 pounds last year. I do spend a lot time at the parks during the day and wear a pedometer to track my walking. You may find you are walking more than you realize! Some counter service meals will offer apple slices instead of French fries as a healthy option! Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck on your 5K.
PuppyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
PuppyPrincess
Too far from the Golden Dome and the Castle!

Oh, I am 49 and I also have Rheumotoid Arthritis.
PuppyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
dholmes1950
Earning My Ears

I'm a fairly early riser so I can usually get a walk/run in before everyone is ready to go to the parks and even the moderates have some great trails.

One other trick I use when we are on the dp is to have our "big" meal at lunchtime, and then have something light in the evening. That way I have time to work it off before bedtime.

Just one week of a different routine shouldn't affect your overall fitness level that much and you should be in great shape for your 5K.

Congratulations on your weight loss and dedication!
dholmes1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the weight loss! Not sure which mod you are staying in but my fiance is an avid runner. We always stay at POFQ and he runs the path very early (5:30am) every morning along the river, down to POR, around POR, and back, after crossing a bridge. He frequently sees other runners out there. The reason he does it everyday is because he doesn't want to have to start again after a few days off. If you are staying at either POR or POFQ, you might want to check out that path anytime of day if you have a few free moments. It is a very nice stroll too!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyPrincess View Post
I have found that without really trying I walk an average of 10 miles a day while at Disney. Even on the dining plan and eating pretty much whatever I wanted, I lost 3 pounds last year. I do spend a lot time at the parks during the day and wear a pedometer to track my walking. You may find you are walking more than you realize! Some counter service meals will offer apple slices instead of French fries as a healthy option! Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck on your 5K.
Thanks! I have read in few places that the average person walks about 8 miles a day and we are on the go most of our trip so I am sure we will meet if not surpass the average!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes1950 View Post
I'm a fairly early riser so I can usually get a walk/run in before everyone is ready to go to the parks and even the moderates have some great trails.

One other trick I use when we are on the dp is to have our "big" meal at lunchtime, and then have something light in the evening. That way I have time to work it off before bedtime.

Just one week of a different routine shouldn't affect your overall fitness level that much and you should be in great shape for your 5K.

Congratulations on your weight loss and dedication!
Thanks. All this great advice is definitely helping relieve my stress. There is a great trail at our resort, and I am actually excited about running there! Definitely will be using lunch as our big meal and eating light for dinner. I also never eat after 7pm and plan on sticking to that also. Thanks again!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggieFan View Post
Congrats on the weight loss! Not sure which mod you are staying in but my fiance is an avid runner. We always stay at POFQ and he runs the path very early (5:30am) every morning along the river, down to POR, around POR, and back, after crossing a bridge. He frequently sees other runners out there. The reason he does it everyday is because he doesn't want to have to start again after a few days off. If you are staying at either POR or POFQ, you might want to check out that path anytime of day if you have a few free moments. It is a very nice stroll too!

We were booked for POR, (its one of our favorites), but switched to CBR about two months ago to get the free dining. The trails there are said to be very nice also...and I may be doing some 5:30 mornings for sure! Its when I get up now anyway so I am already used to the schedule

Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

My advice - do not count on the walking to make up for the calories. It will not for most people. Since you are already in the habit of running in the morning, get up early every day and run. And watch what you eat - everything that you eat will have more calories than the same things made at home - a lot more calories.

Times like this test our resolve. If you really want to keep the weight off and stay on course, run and watch what you eat. Otherwise you not only risk staying on course - you risk a setback which could start you back down the road to weight gain.

Every day remind yourself of your goals and the hard work that you have invested, then decide if sleeping in or eating that dessert are worth throwing that all away.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
My advice - do not count on the walking to make up for the calories. It will not for most people. Since you are already in the habit of running in the morning, get up early every day and run. And watch what you eat - everything that you eat will have more calories than the same things made at home - a lot more calories.

Times like this test our resolve. If you really want to keep the weight off and stay on course, run and watch what you eat. Otherwise you not only risk staying on course - you risk a setback which could start you back down the road to weight gain.

Every day remind yourself of your goals and the hard work that you have invested, then decide if sleeping in or eating that dessert are worth throwing that all away.
Well, getting up early and running is actually something I really enjoy so that shouldn't be an issue. I have been maintaining a 1200 calorie or less a day regimen for so long now that it does really fill me up. I am at a point now where I need to practice maintaining my weight, as I have reached my goal, instead of losing any more weight. I will likely continue to lose about 6 to 8 more pounds to allow myself the liberty of not worrying about the calories too much, but truly I dont desire the 'junk foods' anymore and likely will be choosing healthy options as that is what I crave now anyway. If anything, relaxing and enjoying my 8 days will be the task, as I have a tendency to overdo to extremes and will be counting and watching everything I put in my mouth. Thanks!!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I know at least one moderate, Coronado Springs, has a gym. It is also a big resort so getting in a longer run is easier. Of course that doesn't help for this trip but it is something to keep in mind on future trips.

The biggest obstacle at Disney isn't that lack of exercise though, it is how many people completely change their diet. Eat the same as you do at home and just make a few allowances for splurging on additional drinks or desserts.

Walking isn't going to replace the gym or running but it will replace a portion of it. It isn't like you are going somewhere and just lying on a beach for a week doing nothing.

Just be conscious of your decisions while there and that will give you head start on staying on track while there.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
i*heart*minniemouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyPrincess View Post
I agree with PuppyPrincess
All the walking and good food choices will keep you on track!

Congrats on your weight loss !!

DVC-OKW since 1997
i*heart*minniemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I know at least one moderate, Coronado Springs, has a gym. It is also a big resort so getting in a longer run is easier. Of course that doesn't help for this trip but it is something to keep in mind on future trips.

The biggest obstacle at Disney isn't that lack of exercise though, it is how many people completely change their diet. Eat the same as you do at home and just make a few allowances for splurging on additional drinks or desserts.

Walking isn't going to replace the gym or running but it will replace a portion of it. It isn't like you are going somewhere and just lying on a beach for a week doing nothing.

Just be conscious of your decisions while there and that will give you head start on staying on track while there.
Yes I agree with all you have said here...and will for sure keep in mind Coronado Springs :-) We do a trip every other year

Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by i*heart*minniemouse View Post
I agree with PuppyPrincess
All the walking and good food choices will keep you on track!

Congrats on your weight loss !!
Thanks for the congrats...I do feel a LOT better. Went from 216 down to 146. I am working out 6 days a week and only need another 6 pounds to reach my goal! Wearing size 8's and some 6's now!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

I always gain weight on vacation; despite my best intentions, I do eat more, and more of the wrong things-- it's very difficult not to. Walking does burn calories, but, depending on how active you are at home, maybe not enough to offset eating more. I've found most of the weight does drop off once I've been home a week or so, so don't get discouraged when you first step on the scale after vacation. I ran most mornings on our recent trip-- just like all those peeps I used to think were crazy! - while my daughter and granddaughter got ready. We were at the Boardwalk, so I ran around the lake and then to Hollywood Studios and back, about 2.3 miles.
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: