Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #46
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Bumping👍
TweedleDee/Dum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #47
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee/Dum View Post
We are planning a Western Caribbean cruise for next April. I am a planner so, I need the advise of my fellow Disney cruisers. We have a 15 year old daughter and an eleven year old son. Please share some of your dos and don'ts for the Western Caribbean cruise.
I learned this the hard way..... don't order fresh vegetable salsa (in Cozumel.) The veggies are washed in the water everyone tries to avoid. I was very careful about actual drinking water, but when it came to the actual food I messed up.

And it messed me up right back. Stick to cooked items.
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #48
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Bumping
TweedleDee/Dum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #49
Pooh93
Proud mom of 2 dd's
We are a pickle kind of family
I try to be a cheerful grouch!

Any reviews on the Secret River?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #50
sfeisen
Mouseketeer

Has anyone been to Mr. Sancho's? I am just looking for a nice, clean, beach to go to, that would have fin stuff for 4 teens to do while I relax in the sun.
sfeisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #51
ldymcbth
DIS Veteran

We love love loved Boatswain's Turtle Farm. The kids still talk about it - it was so fun. It was the highlight of all of the ports on the Western for me.

In Costa Maya we booked a non-DCL tour. We had to take a taxi from the port area into Mahahual, which is the little village there. The 4 of us went out on a boat snorkeling and sightseeing, and then we played on the beach and had some sodas. It was really, really fun.

The other one we did was the Dolphin encounter, and it was ok but expensive and knowing what we know now about captive dolphins, etc., we would probably not do it again. It was also a huge money grab, every other thing was an additional cost.
ldymcbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #52
hgon76
DIS Veteran

Just got off of a Western & did The Secret River (Cozumel stop) & it was AMAZING! Highlight of our trip for sure. Looked it up on Trip Advisor beforehand & read all the great reviews & it did NOT disappoint. We absolutely loved it.

hgon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #53
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgon76 View Post
Just got off of a Western & did The Secret River (Cozumel stop) & it was AMAZING! Highlight of our trip for sure. Looked it up on Trip Advisor beforehand & read all the great reviews & it did NOT disappoint. We absolutely loved it.
Can you tell me how much swimming is involved with The Secret River as my daughter is not a strong swimmer at all!!

Thanks!!
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #54
heavenlybubbles
{Disney Obsessed}

You get a life vest for the river, so you really do not need swimming experience. If your daughter is too small for a life vest (they do have children's sizes) then do something else
heavenlybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #55
hgon76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Can you tell me how much swimming is involved with The Secret River as my daughter is not a strong swimmer at all!! Thanks!!
They give you a wetsuit & life vest. You don't need to be a strong swimmer, but some paddling w/ a life vest on is required. Our guide asked if all of us have at least "some" swim experience. It's a lot of walking through the caves & wading in water. But there are some deeper parts you will "float" through.

hgon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #56
EllinK
Mouseketeer

Western Caribbean excursions

We did Tropicante at Costa Maya and Chakanaab in Cozumel. Both were fantastic and inexpensive. I would have been just as happy with them if they cost a lot more. I loved that we were easily able to do them independently. I love cruising but once I get off the ship, I don't want to be in huge crowd. I want to really experience the place and not feel like I'm part of a cattle call.

Tropicante is an incredibly beautiful beach where you reserve a chair and the proprietor brings you food and drink, which you are charged for. It's not particularly expensive (or good). But it's fine. The beach is gorgeous and child friendly. My son and I were able to walk out far -- no drop off -- and the snorkeling was fantastic. Heck, you didn't even need a snorkel you could just watch the fish swimming around without sticking your head in the water.

Chakanaab was also great. Easy taxi drive away and I think we found discounted tickets on line. Again, terrific snorkeling. But there's no beach, you walk down some stairs into the water. It does get deep quickly but my son just hung out at the stairs and there were tons of fish coming right to us.

These were 2 excursions that I would gladly do again. In Grand Cayman we went on a snorkel/ray private boat trip. It was okay. We weren't crazy about the rays.

Have a wonderful trip!
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: