Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
SucalT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee/Dum View Post
Thanks... Does anyone have any suggestions of a tour for Costa Maya?

Maya Chan Beach Day. You will not be disappointed!

SucalT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucalT View Post

Maya Chan Beach Day. You will not be disappointed!
What did you do there?? Lay out?
TweedleDee/Dum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
SucalT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee/Dum View Post
What did you do there?? Lay out?
Lay out, private papala, bottomless drinks, bottomless chips/salsa/guac, amazing tacos, sea kayaks, snorkeling, sand golf, sand toys, sand castle building contest (for kids), floats with waterside drink service, round trip transport included. All the above are included in the daily rate.

Beach massages are available for a fee.

SucalT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
hamilton23
Earning My Ears

We just booked a day at Maya Chan. We had originally planned on doing the Chacchobben ruins tour but I have read enough reviews of that tour to know that a 45 minute bus ride is not something my kids would be excited about. I also heard that the ruins get over run with people because the rest of the tours in Costa Maya aren't very appealing.

From all I have read about Maya Chan it sounds almost like a smaller private version of Castaway Cay but you get a palapa and free booze. It is very small. Only accommodates 40-50 people.
hamilton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Doodledogs
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all of this helpful info!
Doodledogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Bumping
TweedleDee/Dum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #22
StephC1217
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
We just booked a day at Maya Chan. We had originally planned on doing the Chacchobben ruins tour but I have read enough reviews of that tour to know that a 45 minute bus ride is not something my kids would be excited about. I also heard that the ruins get over run with people because the rest of the tours in Costa Maya aren't very appealing.

From all I have read about Maya Chan it sounds almost like a smaller private version of Castaway Cay but you get a palapa and free booze. It is very small. Only accommodates 40-50 people.
We went to Maya Chan in June and LOVED it! It was a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing day. They take care of everything and the food is amazing. I just wished Disney had given us more time in Costa Maya!

StephC1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #23
hubbard53
Mouseketeer

we did the "Cozumel Family Beach Break" last week and were disappointed. . . the actual place can be seem here: http://www.playamiacozumel.com/

The beach was crowded, chairs were old and either broken or mildewed, it was smelly, lots of bees, overflowing trash cans, water full of seaweed, food was "okay" but I was leery of eating it. Bottomless drinks were terrible - made with tiny pours of the cheapest liquor you could possibly get (maybe if you're not accustomed to good drinks, they might be OK).

The kid's water park was nice but had a couple toys that were out of order and wrapped in caution tape.

We had our 3 yr old with us so were limited in what we could do. Perhaps if you had teens who could snorkel, kayak, etc. you might have a better time. We were just surprised at the brown, weedy, smelly water after seeing the beautiful blue water everywhere else.

Oh, I forgot to mention the CONSTANT parade of people trying to peddle pictures with iguanas/parrots/tequila bottles, massages, hair braiding, etc.

Last edited by hubbard53; 10-21-2013 at 09:44 AM.
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephC1217

We went to Maya Chan in June and LOVED it! It was a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing day. They take care of everything and the food is amazing. I just wished Disney had given us more time in Costa Maya!
Is it called something else through DCL? I am not seeing Maya Chan
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
ncmom2four
Earning My Ears

We did the Cozumel beach break at Playa Mia last week and LOVED it! My 4 kids are 10, 9, 6 and 5 and we had a blast at the floating obstacle course and the pool and water park. We took the first trip time - 8:45 and it was not crowded at all. I found the water to be beautiful. The food was good and the kids loved having all the non alcoholic pina colodas they could drink. The liquor was cheap but it was a super fun day for us. I thought it was just beautiful!
DD - 5
DS - 3

'08 WDW offsite
'09 WDW Fort Wilderness
'10 DCL Wonder
'11 DVC Member Cruise - Dream
'12 Disney Fantasy Preview Cruise
'12 All Star Music
'12 Disney Dream

[/COLOR
]
ncmom2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Mom2Kaylee
DCL, DVC, & WDW Addict

We did an awesome catamaran snorkel tour at Costa Maya. Bus ride took about 15-20 mins and then we went out on the water! They provided drinks and all the gear. One of the best ones we have ever done!

Mom2Kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Do: Chankanaab park. At least two visits, lots to see, part marine (sea lion shows, dolphin and manatee swims), part amazing beach (super friendly reef fish to snorkel with) part time resort (hundreds of tikis and incredible fresh mexican food like ceviche and fish tacos and of course guac). We love it.

Do: Playa Del Carmen adventure zip line, fresh water cave snorkel and dirt bike with lunch. Did this in 2007. It was a great day.

Don't: Weren't thrilled with our cave tubing in Belize. (But I doubt you are going there). It sounds more thrilling but the water moves really slow and was very shallow (butts up! you know what I mean if you have done it!) and was exhausting to walk carrying a big tube all the way up the jungle.

Don't: If you are going to do a day resort (we did an all inclusive at Sunset in Montego Bay), don't book it through Jamaicaforaday.com . It took over 1.5 hrs of our day to wait in line and finish processing the payments. We should have just gone through the resort. And the bus picked us up earlier than we expected. Resort was fine! Lazy river and water park was good and food and pools were good. Snorkeling was ok. Resort was secure.

Do: Grand Cayman: Absolutely book something with Sting Ray City sandbar if you are adventurous! Strong swimming is not a necessity as the water is waist deep. Wow! they are gorgeous and huge floating shadows and you can pet them. They are wild, no tanks, no nets, nothing. They come because they are used to people: and food! Our excursion allowed us to stay the rest of the day at Royal Palm on 7 mile beach. Great food, some nice snorkeling and a nice pool tool. DOs on both accounts for us.

Hope that helps! (We have only done Bahamian through Disney so these might not be the same as the ones you are looking at.)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
mcgrawfan
Peace Love Mickey Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccann View Post
Is it called something else through DCL? I am not seeing Maya Chan

Maya Chan is not through DCL. You have to book it yourself. I think the website is mayachan.com. Or something close to that
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #29
elizablake
DIS Veteran

Grand Cayman: Stingray City is a must-do! We have used Native Way and Captain Marvins. Both were great. You can always just take a cab to 7 mile beach too.

Cozumel: Another vote for Chankanaab. Plenty to do including a pool and snorkeling from shore. If you really enjoy snorkeling, take a boat to the reefs! The snorkeling in Cozumel is wonderful. Another good option is Paradise Beach. Nice, clean place with a huge pool, beach with water toys, and good food. I've also tried Nachi Cocum, Playa Uvas and a private island tour.

Costa Maya: Stay on the ship.
elizablake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #30
Imedley200
Mouseketeer

In Costa Maya we took a short taxi ride to Tropicante and loved it! It's a small restaurant on the beach. I emailed him to reserve chairs and he emailed me step by step directions. Food, drinks and massages are cheap! I couldn't see paying a flat rate for Maya Chan as I couldn't eat and drink that much. For 4 adults, we spent $65 for an afternoon of food and drinks (including tip). We would go back tomorrow for sure!!
Imedley200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: