Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Western Caribbean... Let's talk must dos and don'ts

We are planning a Western Caribbean cruise for next April. I am a planner so, I need the advise of my fellow Disney cruisers. We have a 15 year old daughter and an eleven year old son. Please share some of your dos and don'ts for the Western Caribbean cruise.
TweedleDee/Dum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

If you and your kids are adventuresome, there is the XPLOR park in Cozumel (Playa del Carmen on the mainland actually). Awesome zip lines (2 courses with 8 -12 lines each), "off road" jeep course above and under ground, swimming in the underground river, rafting (save for last) in the underground river. Lunch included.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

I have a son and daughter too just a little younger than that that have been on the Western also.

I really feel like you have to get out on the water in Grand Cayman. We hired a private sailboat with another couple to ease the cost and went to a less frequented area of Stingray City which was great, but what was really awesome was the sail. It is a beautiful island mostly for the water and the reefs. I loved seeing the reef out where we were. One of the best I have seen on the Caribbean. (my kids didn't love the floating portobello mushrooms as we call them now - stingrays)

Don't do the train tour of Key West. Your kids will hate you for it and will be bored off their rockers during it. Just walk around or get to Hemingway's house to see some sights and go back to port, shop and grab a chocolate covered frozen key lime pie!

which brings me to my most to do evah!!! while on a western itinerary!

OMG OMG OMG!!! A little piece of heaven on earth is what I call these babies!!! Frozen Key Lime pie on a stick in Key West!!!

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegazer View Post

You were at Kermit's - right Tasty!!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

We did a private dolphin excursion in GC through Dolphin Cove. Very reasonable and great experience. We love Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

We have DDs who in March when we did the Western were 14 and 16.

In Grand Cayman we did the Boatswain Turtle Farm. They loved it. We learned about the turtles, did a bit of snorkeling and hanging out in their "beach" area. I'd do this one again.

In Costa Maya we did the Segway Tour. It was fun but Costa Maya seemed pretty underdeveloped. We did stop at the beach area and it seemed nice. Learning the segways was easier than I thought. The guides were very helpful and patient. The pace once we headed out was easy to keep up with and we did do a couple of scenic stops. There was supposed to be some beach time included but it was minimal. If you've not do segways, I'd say try it.

in Cozumel we did the day trip to Excaret, swam their underground river and chilled. We all loved it. The food was good, out guides were great, it was pretty and clean. We had a great lunch and really good alcoholic drinks in pineapples for us and non-alcoholic ones for the girls. If I said we were going back there tomorrow, they'd be packed in no time flat.

Enjoy!
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
mikehn
DIS Veteran

What I would not do is drink all the free tequila samples the merchants offer you when you arrive at the port in Cozumel. You will be hammered before the day even starts.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We LOVE Grand Cayman. We usually do the "Island Tour with Stingrays, which takes you to both the turtle farm and the Stingray sandbar, which is amazing! My dd7 was in heaven there!

In Cozumel, we've done Xplor, and found it to be an overpriced water park where you will wait in LONG lines to do things that are just "meh". I would not pay the prices again. We have also done the "dolphin push, pull, & swim" at Dolphinaris in Cozumel, and again, the kids had a blast! It was pricey, but it was a dolphin swim, so you know.

Depending on your itinerary, you may go to Key West (we went snorkeling...in January...brrrrrr...nuff said). Or, Costa Maya (we are going in 2 weeks, I can give more info about the ruins after we've been).

And on CC, just RELAX!!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
If you and your kids are adventuresome, there is the XPLOR park in Cozumel (Playa del Carmen on the mainland actually). Awesome zip lines (2 courses with 8 -12 lines each), "off road" jeep course above and under ground, swimming in the underground river, rafting (save for last) in the underground river. Lunch included.
Thanks so much for the information!! I will check this park out.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegazer View Post
I have a son and daughter too just a little younger than that that have been on the Western also.

I really feel like you have to get out on the water in Grand Cayman. We hired a private sailboat with another couple to ease the cost and went to a less frequented area of Stingray City which was great, but what was really awesome was the sail. It is a beautiful island mostly for the water and the reefs. I loved seeing the reef out where we were. One of the best I have seen on the Caribbean. (my kids didn't love the floating portobello mushrooms as we call them now - stingrays)

Don't do the train tour of Key West. Your kids will hate you for it and will be bored off their rockers during it. Just walk around or get to Hemingway's house to see some sights and go back to port, shop and grab a chocolate covered frozen key lime pie!

which brings me to my most to do evah!!! while on a western itinerary!

OMG OMG OMG!!! A little piece of heaven on earth is what I call these babies!!! Frozen Key Lime pie on a stick in Key West!!!
Thank you so much for the information!! Do you happen to remember the name of the company that you rented the sailboat from?

The frozen key lime pie looks YUMMY!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandisneyfamof4 View Post
We did a private dolphin excursion in GC through Dolphin Cove. Very reasonable and great experience. We love Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel
Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes View Post
We have DDs who in March when we did the Western were 14 and 16.

In Grand Cayman we did the Boatswain Turtle Farm. They loved it. We learned about the turtles, did a bit of snorkeling and hanging out in their "beach" area. I'd do this one again.

In Costa Maya we did the Segway Tour. It was fun but Costa Maya seemed pretty underdeveloped. We did stop at the beach area and it seemed nice. Learning the segways was easier than I thought. The guides were very helpful and patient. The pace once we headed out was easy to keep up with and we did do a couple of scenic stops. There was supposed to be some beach time included but it was minimal. If you've not do segways, I'd say try it.

in Cozumel we did the day trip to Excaret, swam their underground river and chilled. We all loved it. The food was good, out guides were great, it was pretty and clean. We had a great lunch and really good alcoholic drinks in pineapples for us and non-alcoholic ones for the girls. If I said we were going back there tomorrow, they'd be packed in no time flat.

Enjoy!
I appreciate the information!! The drinks in pineapples sound so good!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
We LOVE Grand Cayman. We usually do the "Island Tour with Stingrays, which takes you to both the turtle farm and the Stingray sandbar, which is amazing! My dd7 was in heaven there!

In Cozumel, we've done Xplor, and found it to be an overpriced water park where you will wait in LONG lines to do things that are just "meh". I would not pay the prices again. We have also done the "dolphin push, pull, & swim" at Dolphinaris in Cozumel, and again, the kids had a blast! It was pricey, but it was a dolphin swim, so you know.

Depending on your itinerary, you may go to Key West (we went snorkeling...in January...brrrrrr...nuff said). Or, Costa Maya (we are going in 2 weeks, I can give more info about the ruins after we've been).

And on CC, just RELAX!!
I can't wait to here about your trip!! Thanks for the information.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
jessa07
Can we do RnRC one more time??

I wouldn't bother with Costa Maya if you are not doing any port adventures. Whoever said "underdeveloped" is absolutely right. At Cozumel we took the ferry to the mainland and did the Secret River tour. Very cool!

CBR/Poly: 1997 Poly: 1998 Contemporary: 1999 BWV: 2000 BWV: 2002 BWV: 2004 Off-site: 2006 VWL: 2008 AKL: 2009 BLT:2010 AKL/OKW: 2010 SSR: 2011 BWV: 2012 POP: 2012 BWV/Wedding: 2013 AKL: 2013 BLT: 2014

Our Fairytale Escape Wedding: April 13, 2013 - Sea Breeze Point / The Attic / UK Lochside

Gold Castaway Club Member!
jessa07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
TweedleDee/Dum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessa07 View Post
I wouldn't bother with Costa Maya if you are not doing any port adventures. Whoever said "underdeveloped" is absolutely right. At Cozumel we took the ferry to the mainland and did the Secret River tour. Very cool!
Thanks... Does anyone have any suggestions of a tour for Costa Maya?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: