Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #61
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spwhoney View Post
All aboard at 5:30 (whatever time) means ALL ABOARD at 5:30, they are shutting the doors. Not start heading back to ship at 5:30. Don't be the annoying people that wonder back to ship at the last minute, having the port authority people hurry you along because you are late. There are 2000+ people waiting for you. Our rule is 1 hour BEFORE all aboard, no later. I always book the early excursions so we get back in time for a little shopping. Cant stand the people that wonder up at 5:27, look at their watch and argue with the port and ship people about being late.
Like you said - it's "ALL ABOARD TIME" not - "I just got in line to board" time Or "I'm almost at the port" time
Old 09-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #62
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spwhoney View Post
All aboard at 5:30 (whatever time) means ALL ABOARD at 5:30, they are shutting the doors. Not start heading back to ship at 5:30. Don't be the annoying people that wonder back to ship at the last minute, having the port authority people hurry you along because you are late. There are 2000+ people waiting for you. Our rule is 1 hour BEFORE all aboard, no later. I always book the early excursions so we get back in time for a little shopping. Cant stand the people that wonder up at 5:27, look at their watch and argue with the port and ship people about being late.

Totally!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #63
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
In April 2012 we were late leaving St. Thomas because there were extra passengers on board. A queen bee and her swarm decided that a deck chair near the Mickey and Goofy pools was a great place to hang out. We had to stay in port while a bee keeper was called to capture the bees. It was interesting watching the process.
In the Med this year, we had thousands of dragon flies descend upon the whole boat. Looking at 1 is pretty, but they were everywhere!! I had to go in, it was awful!!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #64
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
In the Med this year, we had thousands of dragon flies descend upon the whole boat. Looking at 1 is pretty, but they were everywhere!! I had to go in, it was awful!!
So interesting. Never heard about this.

Any one else have dreams/nightmares of missing the boat? You're running, you're trying to dial a number, etc. I still have them! That and forgetting my bathing suit and make up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALQugPn5V8
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #65
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamama View Post
Yes, our head waiter told us a story of this happening... a dad traveling with his kid. Left the kid the kids' club onboard while he went into town at port. He was too late coming back. They waited as long as they could but had to sail w/out him. A CM was assigned to care for the child until reunited (I assume at the next port) w/ the kid. It does happen.
It was Cabo at Christmas...i think 2 days before Christmas! And the Dad left his passport onboard- so he flew back to the States but couldn't get on the ship to claim his daughter... daughter couldn't get off without an adult. It took a long time for them to sort it all out with the authorities!

The poor girl had quite a Christmas day though... lots of gifts and time with Mickey and Minnie. Apparently the crew spoiled her rotten. One of my crew friends said the girl missed her dad, but joked that he should do it again next year, exactly the same
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #66
Lady Duchess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribega View Post
Last week (Sept 1 sailing), we were on the 4 night cruise aboard the Dream. We went into Nassau for about 90 minutes and then went back to our stateroom.

The Royal Caribbean was docked across from us. While sitting on the verandah we saw the RC gangway get pulled up and about 2 mins later a couple running to the ship. They got to the ship and pleaded to get on to the crew at the gangway doors, but the gangway was up and rope was off. They pleaded and pleaded but the crew shut one door and then shut the other. The guy yelled no really loud as they shut that second door.

They stood there in disbelief as their ship slowly left without them. We felt really bad for them, but all aboard time IS all aboard time.

They stood talking to another gentleman for about 20 mins before leaving on his golf cart towards the city.

Our 6-year-old saw the whole thing and was really nervous about getting off the boat in Castaway Cay the next day. We kept reassuring him that we would be back on the boat in time so we wouldn't be left behind.

I was on that cruise too with you but didn't see that. But yes, the ship will not wait and they do get heavily fined if they stay late. Some passengers disregard the be back onboard time. It's sad and a hard way to learn to be on the ship prior to the all a board time.
MSC Poesia 2010 HAL Ryndam 2010 MSC Poesia 2010
HAL Westerdam 2011 NCL Star 2011
HAL Ryndam 2012 Disney Dream 2012
Royal Caribbean 2012 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2013 Disney Dream 2013
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2014

Last edited by Lady Duchess; 09-12-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Lady Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #67
Lady Duchess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
Will they leave you on Castaway Cay even? How would you get to the next port from there?
They have more flexibility there since they own Castaway Cay and it is there private island.
MSC Poesia 2010 HAL Ryndam 2010 MSC Poesia 2010
HAL Westerdam 2011 NCL Star 2011
HAL Ryndam 2012 Disney Dream 2012
Royal Caribbean 2012 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2013 Disney Dream 2013
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2014
Lady Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #68
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Duchess View Post
They have more flexibility there since they own Castaway Cay and it is there private island.
However they still need to arrive at PC on time the next morning, so how long they could wait depends on that, more then waiting or not waiting for anyone.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #69
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Duchess View Post
This is a quote from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
It's not actually. They have a 99 year lease from the Bahamian government.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #70
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It's not [owned] actually. They have a 99 year lease from the Bahamian government.
Is there any source for that claim other than a DIS thread and some (but not all) other unofficial sites??

Doesn't matter, anyway, the question was could the ship stay later. Of course it could, but many factors that we can only guess at would drive the decision to leave on time or late.

I suspect (guess) that late guests aren't a problem at CC, the CMs probably have the island sweep at the end of the day well established.

Another question...how would you get off the island if you missed the ship? Again, I bet no one has ever missed the ship (never heard of a story like that, would love to hear about it), but if they did you can see Great Abaco from CC, and several vendors boat out to CC from there every day. I'm guessing there is no lack of available transportation for the short ride to the larger island, with several (small) airlines such as American Eagle providing daily flights to Florida.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #71
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

When in Grand Cayman, what time is the last tender in relation to the all aboard time (4:45pm)?

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #72
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

We were on that cruise as well. We had gone back to the ship early and were out on our verandah, (10th deck aft) whan it happened. I thought about those folks, and still wonder what happend to them. I am glad to hear that there is someone who can help them. It really made me realize the importance of watching the clock and getting back to the ship on time. I know that the first night of the cruise when we were watching the live show the cruise director said that if any one planned on being late back to the ship - make sure you have your camera to take pictures as the ship was pulling out. What a horrible thing to have happen.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #73
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

Is there any source for that claim other than a DIS thread and some (but not all) other unofficial sites??

Doesn't matter, anyway, the question was could the ship stay later. Of course it could, but many factors that we can only guess at would drive the decision to leave on time or late.

I suspect (guess) that late guests aren't a problem at CC, the CMs probably have the island sweep at the end of the day well established.

Another question...how would you get off the island if you missed the ship? Again, I bet no one has ever missed the ship (never heard of a story like that, would love to hear about it), but if they did you can see Great Abaco from CC, and several vendors boat out to CC from there every day. I'm guessing there is no lack of available transportation for the short ride to the larger island, with several (small) airlines such as American Eagle providing daily flights to Florida.
Wikipedia says the same thing
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #74
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

DH and I would have been left on our honeymoon (RCCL, not DCL) if we hadn't been on a ship's excursion. We had taken an 8 hour excursion from Cozumel to Tulum and Xel-Ha, and our guide trapped us for an extra almost hour at a tourist trap that was supposed to be a bathroom break on the way to Tulum. If that wasn't bad enough, two older guests (at least claimed they) got lost at Xel-Ha, and couldn't figure out where to meet up with the group or return to the bus, and held us up almost another hour. We were more than an hour and a half after actual departure time (not just all aboard time) getting back to Cozumel, and there were people standing at the ferry port yelling and pointing toward the gangplank. "Do NOT stop to shop, onto the ship, onto the ship!"

I was never so glad to have paid the extra to book through the ship in my life. And that is why we will only book through the ship if we think it is likely to be a long day, and there is any chance of returning late.

I've noticed that that Xel-Ha Tulum combination is rarely, if ever, offered any more, and I've sometimes wondered if we were part of the reason why! It was a really, really long day.

I was also almost left as a late teen or early 20-something on a Mediterranean cruise about 20 years ago. This was back before cruising was nearly as trendy or common, and here didn't seem to be the common wisdom of book an excursion not to get left (or at least I was unaware of it.) I'd gone on the trip with my mother and grandparents. My mom and I had stopped off to shop before returning to the ship, and we went to the wrong dock. Twice. We were completely lost, but eventually made it. (I honestly don't remember which port now. We're lucky; between us, we speak enough Spanish, Italian, French, and German to get by, but it's easy to get scared and flustered when you're lost in a foreign country.) My grandparents told us they'd been paging us for about 20 minutes when we finally found the ship, and my grandmother was mortified to hear our names blasted on the loudspeakers over and over. (I'm sure she was worried about us, but that wasn't what she related!) I have no idea how close we were to getting left, but I know it was closer than I ever want to be!

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #75
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
This is a quote from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
Wikipedia says the same thing
Check ouy this site http://www.visitcastawaycay.com/# and click on the flag that says "Island History" The video says they purchased the island.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: