Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pak View Post
We leave in a few weeks for our first cruise, so I basically know nothing. If the itinerary says "1:00-5:30." does that mean that you have to be on the boat no later than 5:30 p.m., or does it mean the boat leaves at 5:30 p.m. so you better be on the boat no later than 5:00? Or....(and I do not want to push it) it means you could probably stroll up at 5:50 p.m. and be fine since they really aren't planning to leave until 6:30 p.m., but you do so at your own risk.
Your Personal Navigator will have an "All Aboard Time" for each port. That is the latest you can walk up the gangway onto the ship. I have seen ships wait longer than that, but I'm sure there is no guarantee. Read and heed.
over50visits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaC View Post
I was on the June 26 12 night Med cruise. We overnighted in Venice. Apparently one couple figured out a way to make sure the ship wouldn't leave without them. Starting a few minutes before we were to sail, there were frequent requests overhead for this couple to contact the crew. Sail away time, still asking for them to contact the crew. We finally left more than an hour late.

Seems they left their children in one of the kids clubs while they had a last visit to Venice that day....

I maybe wrong, but I am pretty sure it your late enough and the vessel needs to sail to make the next port, they will sail with the kids onboard...........

There was a post along ago about that the vessel assigned a CM to watch and care for a child.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
rab1974
Earning My Ears

My two-cents:

Depending on the itnerary you have, make sure you know and understand "ship's time." And the fact that the "local" time at the port and the "ship's" time can be different. Therefore the time of departure from the port of call is "ship's" time.
rab1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Quote:
We leave in a few weeks for our first cruise, so I basically know nothing. If the itinerary says "1:00-5:30." does that mean that you have to be on the boat no later than 5:30 p.m., or does it mean the boat leaves at 5:30 p.m. so you better be on the boat no later than 5:00? Or....(and I do not want to push it) it means you could probably stroll up at 5:50 p.m. and be fine since they really aren't planning to leave until 6:30 p.m., but you do so at your own risk.
Are you referring to Costa Maya day? Ashore - 1pm; Onboard - 5:30pm. That means you should be able to get off the ship at 1pm and be back on board by 5:30pm. Not approaching the far end of the dock at 5:30pm, but feet on the ship.

However, as noted on the cruise website - Guest ashore times and onboard times are subject to change without notice. So be sure to refer to the Personal Navigator that will be delivered to your room the evening before, as it will have the accurate information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1974 View Post
My two-cents:

Depending on the itnerary you have, make sure you know and understand "ship's time." And the fact that the "local" time at the port and the "ship's" time can be different. Therefore the time of departure from the port of call is "ship's" time.
And this is a VERY good point.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

That is why we like to take the cruise excursions - if you are late and on an excursion through the cruiseline - they wait for you.

We were on a RCCL cruise a few years ago in Mexico and went on a rather long excursion and our bus got back later then we were supposed to. As we were on an excursion through the cruiseline - they had to wait for us.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpizzuro123 View Post
That is why we like to take the cruise excursions - if you are late and on an excursion through the cruiseline - they wait for you.

We were on a RCCL cruise a few years ago in Mexico and went on a rather long excursion and our bus got back later then we were supposed to. As we were on an excursion through the cruiseline - they had to wait for us.

Linda
Not exactly. For the most part, if you are on a ship's excursion, and are running late, they will TRY to wait for you. But, if port charges, or time to next port are important to them leaving before you get there, the cruiseline will assist you in getting to the next port to catch the ship.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

My wife and I always choose a Disney excursion. If we get done with plenty of time to spare before boarding time we'll walk into town and we always give ourselves at least one hour lead time to get back to the ship.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpizzuro123 View Post
Linda
Or, Disney will get you to the next port of call. They won't "assist" you, they take the lead and make sure you get there.

Lots of speculation here as to why they might choose to leave on time, knowing there are late excursions. I think they are all (educated) guesses. If it happens, it happens.

We returned to the port once 30 minutes after the advertised "All Aboard Time" on an excursion we booked through DCL. The ship was there waiting for us.

A number of people were really nervous about making it on time, and definitely not having a good time. Since that's one of those things you don't have any control over, we chose to enjoy the experience and look on it as an adventure if the ship had left (luckily it hadn't). We'd be seeing the local area more, flying on a new airline, and have a great story to tell later. Life is what you make it!
over50visits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
jimsubry
Mouseketeer

On our trip this last August, after our stop in Castaway Cay there were a few calls by the captain over the intercom for a couple to report immediately to guest services. We assumed they were looking for a couple who had missed getting back to the ship. We were wondering, how could you get lost on CC, anyway, it's not like a big populated island with traffic. So then my son started worrying that they'd had drowned (he worries a lot about everything, ha ha) Of course, we never found out what had happened, but I wonder what they DO do if someone meets with disaster while out on a stop?
jimsubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

In April 2012 we were late leaving St. Thomas because there were extra passengers on board. A queen bee and her swarm decided that a deck chair near the Mickey and Goofy pools was a great place to hang out. We had to stay in port while a bee keeper was called to capture the bees. It was interesting watching the process.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
TheHippie524
I love the Magic & Wonder of Dreaming up another Fantasy.

I can not tell a lie...

My family and I went on a 7 day double dip back in 2006, and I was getting my hair braided. Not realizing what time it was, it took a LOT longer than expected, and my poor mom got the phonecall"uhm, whereis your daughter?!"

Luckily, it was on Castaway Cay and clearly could NOT leave me there, they golf carted me all the back to the ship, with my hairbraider sitting next to me, finishing up. What a fun little experience that was.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't let the prior person that quoted you freak you out!!! - They are talking about something else - like the first day of your cruise!! (3pm and safety drill @ 4 ...)

In your Navigator that you receive each day, and in the Port Shopping Guide that you also receive in your room, they will mention the ALL ABOARD TIME. This is the time you must be back on the ship by!!!

If you are on a DCL shore excursion, they are scheduled back before then - depending upon when you return, they might drop you off near the ship - and close to shopping. Pay attention to the time - because if you are shopping and its time for the ship to leave, it will. Also, pay attention to the Navigator - it will tell you the ships time and if it is the same as shore time (Disney usually sets there clocks to local time, but I have read that sometimes they do not).
Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
In April 2012 we were late leaving St. Thomas because there were extra passengers on board. A queen bee and her swarm decided that a deck chair near the Mickey and Goofy pools was a great place to hang out. We had to stay in port while a bee keeper was called to capture the bees. It was interesting watching the process.
OMG! I guess I was skimming quickly and had to stop to reread because I couldn't imagine how someone got on the ship who wasn't suppose to be, and had her "swarm" around her.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
And yes, if you get left, it is your responsibility to get to the next port. Port agents can be of some assistance (hint: you might think about carrying with you the Navigator page that lists the name and address of the port agent) but the travel will be at your expense.
I put the numbers in my phone when I got off the boat. I got really nervous about the boat leaving without us.

I just messaged this thread to my friends along with the "if we miss the boat- you're paying to fix it."
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Will they leave you on Castaway Cay even? How would you get to the next port from there?

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: