Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Mini August Dining Review w/pics

I love taking pictures of my food and remembering what I ate, it's part of the trip for me, but the rest of my brood does not feel the same, so I was mainly only able to get my own food pictures. Thus, a short little dining review.

We traveled August 23-30 and stayed at the Yacht Club. We were seating on time or even a bit early for all our ADR's and never waited more than a few minutes at any restaurant upon checking in.

Day 1:
ESPN Club:
Arrived and had lunch at ESPN on the Boardwalk. I do not have pictures, completely forgot since I was just off the plane and starving and it was almost 2pm already! It hit the spot though. Nothing spectacular. I had the
Championship Chicken Sandwich - Grilled chicken breast topped with sun-dried tomato pesto, greens, and goat cheese on rosemary foccacia. Served with French fries. - $13.49

Then it was off to the pool at the hotel for a bit, and try out the infamous Sunken Treasure I heard so much about on the Yacht and Beach Club Happy Happy info thread. It was that good and more!

Dinner was at 7:30 in Mexico, we got there a bit early and rode Maelstom next door and then had a Margarita from the kiosk. This was the Fiesta Margarita, which was a layered mixture of Lime, Mango, and Strawberry, very tasty and refreshing.

San Angel Inn: I was a little worried about this after reading reviews, but I am really glad we tried it, it turned out to be our favorite restaurant of the whole trip.
I had a lovely Margarita, passion fruit I believe. Then the Pollo a las Rajas - Grilled chicken breast served over red peppers, onions, chile poblano, chorizo (Mexican sausage) and melted cheese. - $17.00 for my dinner. They did serve yummy fresh chips and salsa before bringing dinner. DH went with the server's suggestion of Carne Asada which was the strip steak and he loved it as well. Everything was cooked perfectly and the ambiance in there is wonderful. The kids had cheese quesadillas. This was the only restaurant all week that we didn't feel rushed at.

Day 2:
Today was HS in the morning then pool time. Lunch was at the pool.
Hurricane Hanna's: DH and I both had the Lobster and Shrimp Roll - on Parker House Bread with Citrus Mayonnaise. Served with French Fries and Apple Slaw - $9.99 This was okay, very citrusy and certainly not a real lobster roll you'd get in Cape Cod or anywhere in the Northeast really. DH didn't like it at all.

Then it was off to Magic Kingdom in the rain for dinner at...
Be Our Guest: Started with the French Onion Soup
- Topped with a crouton and Gruyere cheese - $7.49
which was very good and not overly salty as sometimes French Onion can be.

DH and I both had the Sautee Shrimp and scallops - With veggies in a puff pastry with creamy lobster sauce - $25.99 Which was very good, although the puff pastry is a little tough to get into. The scallops are just 2 and off to the side, inside the puff pastry are the shrimp. The lobster sauce is very thin, it's not very creamy despite the name. This was tasty though, I enjoyed it. A little confusion with checking in here, the booth is outside before the bridge then you are given a pager and wait on the bridge till it goes off and are allowed inside. Since it was raining the bridge guard did let us go inside before the pager went off, but it went off 5 seconds after we stepped inside anyways. We got our pictures with the Beast afterwards which was fun. And they encourage you to walk around and take pictures, but it's very dark in there. Lighting is awful for pictures.

After mentioning our anniversary, buttons were on my purse on the floor, our server did bring us the Grey Stuff and then dessert. We all tasted the small sampling of the Grey Stuff, it's nothing spectacular, but good. The cupcakes though were divine! DH and I got chocolate, DS10 got the Strawberry and DS7 got the Cream Puff which was really good as well, but a little hard to get into. Those pastry shells are tough!

Day 3:
Captain's Grille Breakfast: Late start this morning to rest so as had a sit down breakfast. I was dying to try the Lobster Omelet which has changed on the menu already but there is still one on there. It was excellent. DH had the same. That chive butter, oh yum! There was a good amount of lobster in it, very well done.

With the late breakfast, the kids had lunch from Hanna's at the pool we filled up on some fruity drinks. Early CS dinner at Hollywood Studios tonight after LMA and then do Fantasmic.
ABC Commissary: We just popped in here around 5pm and had something quick, but by this time we were starving so it tasted really good although it was just basic burgers and fries. We both got the 1/3 lb Angus Cheeseburger and Fried Shrimp - served with Apple Slices or French Fries - $10.99

Day 4:
Rainforest Cafe: Animal Kingdom morning and then a stop at Rainforest on the way out for lunch. It was early, about 11:30. I have some dark pics, not worth even showing. It's Rainforest, pretty basic chain restaurant stuff. Hits the spot though.

Biergarten: Dinner was in Germany tonight. We hadn't done a buffet since this one on our Honeymoon 15 years ago. Not really our thing, buffets, but it was good. Expensive though. With DS10 being no longer a Disney child, we paid a lot for him to eat mac n cheese and whatever else not much he ate. We wanted to go back there, but now that it's done, we probably won't again. We were looking forward to the sitting with some people part of it too and ended up alone because out other party didn't show up and they never brought anyone else to sit there. I loved the potato dumplings!

On the way back to the hotel, stopped in France for a Grand Marnier Slushie, had to try it. It was yummy!

Day 5: Can't find an evidence of what was for lunch today, but we stuck by Epcot and the pool most of the day. Dinner tonight was at one of our favs...wait for it. I should duck before I say in on these boards.
Tony's Town Square: Had an excellent meal there 2 years ago and I was disappointed they did not have the Lamb Shank on the menu although it still is showing on the menu posted online. I LOVED that. With the creamy polenta. So... I got the Mushroom Ravioli - House made daily with a Pesto Cream sauce and garnished with toasted pine nuts, baby spinach and crispy leeks - $17.99 instead since they didn't have it. There were 4 very large ravioli and it's not an overwhelming pesto flavor as you can see by the color of the sauce in the picture. This was excellent. I enjoyed this meal and this restaurant again, haven't had a bad meal here yet and DH is pretty picky, he enjoyed his Shrimp Scampi as well. It gets awful reviews on the DIS and as someone who grew up with "off the boat" Italian parents, I know this is not real Italian food, but so far I've liked everything I've had.

Day 6:
Big River Grille for an early lunch today after another morning an AK riding EE 6 times in a row! No wait. It was awesome! It was good, standard burger type stuff, nothing special, but good. Loved the view out on the Boardwalk and our hotel right across the way. I had the Honey Dijon Chicken Sandwich - Grilled chicken breast basted in Honey Dijon mustard and topped with smoked bacon strips and Swiss cheese. Served with Kettle chips. Add a Dinner Salad $4.50 - $10.99 loved the flavor of the sauce, I am a big honey mustard fan and this was a good, not overwhelmingly mustardy, as some can be, flavor.

Rose & Crown: Tonight is our traditional meal in the U.K which we do every trip so far. Fish and Chips for DH and I. Fish and Chips - Batter-fried fresh Cod served with English chips and Garden peas. - $17.99 He normally gets the Cottage Pie, but we were kinda rushed and he forgot. He loved the Fish and Chips though. I love the atmosphere here, we got to sit outside right on the lagoon. I had a Cider and Black with my meal which was nice to bring back the memories of Ireland, my drink of choice when I was there on work trips. I don't drink beer, but Cider I can do. I see peas in the description, but didn't see any on my plate. Which is fine. It's a good size piece of fish and I love that they have vinegar for the fries.

I interrupt to bring you a must have treat from the Beach Club Marketplace... Peanut Butter Cup Cupcake...I had this like 3 times. It's heavenly. Must eat it with a fork. And yes, if you try really hard you can eat the whole thing in one seating on your balcony when the kids are asleep.

Day 7: The LAST day!
Hurricane Hanna's: Lunch at the pool again and this time I tried the Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich - with Four-Cheese Blend, Tomato, Avocado, and Arugula. Served with French Fries and Apple Slaw - $8.99 OMG! This was really good. Avocado hello! It's like a whole avocado mashed up in there. SO good. Wish I had had this before the last day. Bad picture, but good sandwich.

Via Napoli: Dinner tonight in Italy. This felt very rushed and it's loud in there. We never were brought our bread and you could just tell poor Gianluca from Padua had too many tables. I couldn't even tell him my parents are from 30 minutes away. I don't see it online, but I had the Mushroom Pizza, individual. Not too many mushrooms, but this was very tasty. It's good pizza like you'd get in Italy and big enough too. DH has not so happy, he went with the Spaghetti E Polpettine - Hand crafted Veal meatballs and tomato sauce - $21.00 and while it tasted great and he enjoyed it, it was a very tiny portion, barely bigger than the kid's pasta meals. He had a slice of my pizza and was still hungry. The 3 tiny meatballs just didn't cut it. This was by far the most rushed meal and then the waiter disappeared forever when we wanted dessert, that by the time he came back, we just paid and left and went back to peanut butter cupcakes and the pool!

Day 8
Captain's Grille breakfast again! DH went with the Lobster Omelet again, I tried the Challah French Toast with strawberry compote and a mascarpone cream something or other. It's disappeared from the menu already. It was really really GOOD! We never did try the buffet.

and a parting shot of my drink of choice is the Pina Colava. I found it more raspberry flavored at Hurricane's Hanna's than I remember it being at the Wilderness Lodge pool bar and Contemporary. It was good. Very refreshing.

beebeeryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great review!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great reviews!! The peanut butter cupcake looks delicious!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Pinkgirl
DIS Veteran

A perfect review Start with a Sunken Treasure, peanut better cupcake in the middle and end with a Piña Colava.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Great reviews. We will be eating at Hurricane Hannah's soon and I will try the chicken sandwich based on your recommendation. A lobster roll with citrus sounds kind of gross to me.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Finally someone admits to eating an entire cupcake! Lol

Great reviews!
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
Finally someone admits to eating an entire cupcake! Lol

Great reviews!
I ate the entire thing the first night I had one. The second time I ate half one night with my wine on the balcony and half the next night. Had I found them sooner during the week I would have had more! So good!

beebeeryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Great pics and review!!!!

We love San Angel as well and that is the restaurant for us where we feel relaxed....never rushed.

We were at Biergarten for dinner the same night as you! We were a family of six that night and a few minutes after we were seated, the waiter tried to seat another couple with us. The couple shook their heads no and walked out!

How rude is that??? Oh well, we enjoyed ourselves. A nice couple from New Jersey were seated with us after that.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the Captain's Grill breakfast pictures, you don't rally see too many reviews for CG. We have a reservation there in December and looking forward to it from your pictures. Did you get a look at the buffet? What is it like?

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
MaryPoppinz
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the delicious and satisfying reviews!
MaryPoppinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the fantastic dining review!!!

Love the pictures, menu descriptions and your comments about your meals.

Great line-up of adult bevvies, too! I would love to try the Pina Colava and the Fiesta and/or Passionfruit Margarita if I can get past skipping up the Sunken Treasure.

I'm usually not a big cupcake fan, but you sold me on PB one at the Marketplace and the ones at Be Our Guest. YUM!
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

Great reviews - Fish and Chips without 'mushy peas' though is just wrong.

Last edited by JohnnySharp2; 09-12-2013 at 07:45 AM.
JohnnySharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

Sorry duplicate post.

Last edited by JohnnySharp2; 09-12-2013 at 07:45 AM.
JohnnySharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
JohnnySharp2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeeryan View Post

Day 8
Captain's Grille breakfast again! DH went with the Lobster Omelet again, I tried the Challah French Toast with strawberry compote and a mascarpone cream something or other. It's disappeared from the menu already. It was really really GOOD! We never did try the buffet.

That looks very very nice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: