Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
slzer0
DIS Veteran

lactose intolerant on cruise

Anyone know if the ship has lactose-free milk? If not I wonder if we can bring a (sealed) small carton of lactaid, dd likes it for her cereal.
Also hoping she can get soy lattes in the coffee shop.
For most foods, she can take a pill, but straight milk is a killer.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Note it on your reservation. They do great with food allergies and intolerances.

They have non-dairy milk aboard. You'll have to do some explaining if she wants things with dairy "some of the time", the Lactaid pill thing confuses them a bit. However it's important to know WHEN there is dairy in things so she can take the pill so...
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
Pixie Naseweis
Mouseketeer

We have been on the Magic on one of her med cruises this year. I could not find any lactose-free milk on the buffet. But we asked our server the morning we had breakfast at Parrot Cay. She brought us a glass of lactose-free milk. Would have prefered it packed, but it was also okay this way.

First WDW visit 1991
DLP shareholder since 1993
First DLP visit 1994
First DL visit 1999
First DCL cruise 2011
Pixie Naseweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
clten
DIS Veteran

I would caution you about noting lactose intolerance on your reservation. If you do, they will treat it as an allergy and not bring your daughter anything made with dairy -- including dessert. I am lactose intolerant and it is different than an allergy. I know which foods I can't handle and which I need to take a pill for and which will be okay. A woman at our table mentioned it and the only thing they would bring her for dessert was a fruit platter.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
I would caution you about noting lactose intolerance on your reservation. If you do, they will treat it as an allergy and not bring your daughter anything made with dairy -- including dessert. I am lactose intolerant and it is different than an allergy. I know which foods I can't handle and which I need to take a pill for and which will be okay. A woman at our table mentioned it and the only thing they would bring her for dessert was a fruit platter.
I agree with this! I think because some allergies are so very life-threatening, they are overly cautious. If you know what your food triggers are, and can avoid those items and/or take your pills - handle it yourself.

OP, you might be able to include a request for Lactaid milk on the reservation, but I wouldn't list the lactose intolerant specifically as they'll treat it like an allergy. "Intolerant" doesn't compute well with Disney.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
wcw57
DIS Veteran

on the other end of the spectrum: at The Sea restaurant I noted to hostess and waitress that my DGD wanted no sauce on her pasta due to slight allergic reaction....only butter. That was fine. So the sent out ketchup with everything, instead. No thought process there. No problem for us but not real good attention to detail...........
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

They carry rice milk and soy milk routinely.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten
Duly noted. Its an intolerance, not an allergy.
This girl will want dessert. Pills are at thr top of her packing list! Lol
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher
Good to know she can request a glass.
She may not have cereal, but its nice to know its there.

She really hatesthis new development, so i try to make chouces available for her. :-/
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
And almond milk

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally

And almond milk
Wonderful!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

Im lactose intolerant and I have never had a problem on the cruises. When I do say something (rare) they go out of their way to make sure you have something good to eat. If you ever have a problem in the main dining rooms, talk to your head waiter. They have a whole little kitchen staff set up for special orders, dietary needs, etc.

atct
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Momof2inCT
Earning My Ears

Now I'm worried about desserts for my LO who DOES have a dairy allergy. Will she be given only a fruit plate? They don't have any chocolate desserts without dairy or sorbets?
Momof2inCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

I am the same way and discovered I could get non dairy creamer for my coffee at the buffet but only real cream in the mdr's. It was kind of annoying.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2inCT View Post
Now I'm worried about desserts for my LO who DOES have a dairy allergy. Will she be given only a fruit plate? They don't have any chocolate desserts without dairy or sorbets?
I'm sure for an allergy there is something they can work out so a fruit platter isn't the only choice. (Didn't mean to alarm people with dairy allergies that they won't have anything yummy but wanted to caution lactose intolerant people to be careful what they say.) Disney is very cautious when it comes to food issues. Which if you have a dairy allergy would be a great thing because you don't want to be served something that you may not realize would cause a reaction.

My advice with people with food allergies -- Be your own advocate. The best way for the allergic person to have a great food experience is to be clear what they are allergic to and not to be shy. Ask for what you would like but do it in advance (we order the night before for the next night for the allergies we have to accommodate) and most of the time they can make the dish suitable without any allergens.

But as I said they are very cautious. We have been told no a time or two because even though something doesn't seem to contain items that would trigger the allergy, they wouldn't serve it because they didn't make it themselves. This happened more frequently with desserts. So there may be some bumps in the road but DCL does try to work with you if you can (the sorbet may be out, but they may have Rice Dream available). But if you don't pre-order dessert, the pastry chef is not usually on call to make individual portions during service.

Enjoy your cruise!
clten is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: