Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Cosmic Rays

DH and I were hoping to be able to try lunch at Be Our Guest (since we've enjoyed dinner there so much!), but the wait was over an hour long so we decided it just wouldn't be worth it. Instead we headed over to Cosmic Ray's.

I've had decent food there before, but we were disappointed this time around.

DH had the pulled pork sandwich with fries:

He gave it a 4 out of 10. His comment: "It was just pulled pork on a really crappy bun."

I had the grilled chicken sandwich with fries:

I would give it a 5 out of 10. Completely average, just your run of the mill grilled chicken sandwich. It would've been fine if not for those infamous Disney buns. They really do just crumble as you eat them. I ended up not even eating half the bun and just having the chicken because it was impossible to eat.

We did hit up the toppings bar too but weren't overly impressed with the options there. But just so you know, there were other things that were on the sandwiches even though they are naked in the pictures

On the plus side, I do like the atmosphere of Cosmic Ray's. We sat in the room with Sonny Eclipse and it was very entertaining! It would also be a good option if you have picky eaters in your group because they've got all your standard stuff. That being said, there's not really much that's incredibly interesting or different there, which is what DH and I usually like to try on vacation. We kind of ended up here more out of necessity than preference - we were in the area and hungry, and our friends wanted to come here. Overall Cosmic Ray's gets a 5 out of 10 this time around.

I accidentally threw out the receipt here so no prices, but it was standard quick service fees!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Pretty mediocre CS experience there. That's too bad. You know, we have never eaten at Cosmic Ray's! And, actually, this last trip, I guess we didn't eat at a single CS place. I love Pecos Bill though - I think that's why we have never been to Cosmic Ray's.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Following along! I like your dining reports, you two are adorable
We love AKL, I think they have the best overall collection of restaurants. They are all our some of our favorites! That chicken flatbread is a standby for us, my family always orders it to share along with a few other things. I personally love the zough (however you spell it...green drizzle)!!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #34
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

All caught up and joining in!!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #35
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Pretty mediocre CS experience there. That's too bad. You know, we have never eaten at Cosmic Ray's! And, actually, this last trip, I guess we didn't eat at a single CS place. I love Pecos Bill though - I think that's why we have never been to Cosmic Ray's.
I haven't tried Pecos Bill's yet! I've heard good things about Cosmic Ray's but it just didn't do it for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Following along! I like your dining reports, you two are adorable
We love AKL, I think they have the best overall collection of restaurants. They are all our some of our favorites! That chicken flatbread is a standby for us, my family always orders it to share along with a few other things. I personally love the zough (however you spell it...green drizzle)!!
Aw, thank you! AKL definitely has some fantastic restaurants - I think it's going to be my new go-to spot for dinner when we do an AK park day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCFAN View Post
All caught up and joining in!!
Welcome along! Glad you're here!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #36
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

What is it with those sawdust-y Disney burger buns? I love a good chicken sandwich but avoid them at Disney for that precise reason.

I love the fact that Mara has the 'safe' options but also some of the more adventurous choices too
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #37
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
What is it with those sawdust-y Disney burger buns? I love a good chicken sandwich but avoid them at Disney for that precise reason.

I love the fact that Mara has the 'safe' options but also some of the more adventurous choices too
I know what you mean - I've heard that complaint from a lot of places. Disney really needs to update their burger buns!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #38
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Splitsville

Although everyone had headed back to their rooms after our day in Magic Kingdom, we all planned to meet up again for dinner. The maid of honor had planned a fun evening starting at Splitsville for dinner. Some of the wedding guests had arrived during the day and would be joining us for the evening. The original plan was to bowl and eat, but a lot of people showed up late so we decided to just nix the bowling and only get food.

They sat us at a really nice round table that held about 8-10 people with super comfy chairs. For my meal I decided to get an appetizer instead of an entree. I went with the Parmesan crusted chicken tenders, but I asked for honey mustard instead of the ranch that it's normally served with:

These were very good tenders. They weren't huge, but there were a bunch of them and it was plenty for me for a meal. I would give them an 8 out of 10. I imagine that they would be a great appetizer for sharing with 2-4 people since you get a bunch of smaller tenders.

I also sampled some of the food that others had. I tried a bunch of the french fries since it came with people's meals and then they didn't want the fries. However, I did not take pictures of everyone else's food. It was a lot of people I didn't know and a lot was going on! So to make up for it I'll share a few pics from the last time I ate at Splitsville (sorry if you followed that dining review as well and have already seen these!).

Margherita Pizza:

Loaded Fries:

Overall I'd give Splitsville (food wise) an 8.5 out of 10. Everything I've had there so far has been really good. I haven't tried the sushi yet but I'm really hoping to soon! We love sushi, and now that it seems DH can eat shellfish again this will have to be toward the top of our list!

I don't have an exact amount of how much I spent here but the chicken tenders were $10 and I got a soda for around $3, so it ended up being somewhere around $15.

As a side note, DH went back to the Mara for dinner by himself this evening. He got the rotisserie chicken and said it was somewhat disappointing - not nearly as good as it looked in the picture. It was rather dry and not as flavorful as he was hoping.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #40
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Splitsville seems like such a fun concept. I'm glad to hear that the food is actually pretty good.
Yes! It is a ton of fun. I love bowling and the good food makes it the perfect spot for a fun evening/dinner.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #41
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

DD and I bowled at Splitsville last January and had a blast! TRex won out to eat at though (ok, DD's only 11, so I get it...)
We did use the Freestyle Coke machine, which she loved!
We will be in WDW again this January and hope to bowl AND eat this time!
The chicken strips look good, we'll have to keep that in mind!
Sounds like you had fun!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #42
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

It's nice to see a Splitsville review; I might have to make time for it on my next trip. The problem I have is that there are so many options at DTD now and they all sound so good!!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #43
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
DD and I bowled at Splitsville last January and had a blast! TRex won out to eat at though (ok, DD's only 11, so I get it...)
We did use the Freestyle Coke machine, which she loved!
We will be in WDW again this January and hope to bowl AND eat this time!
The chicken strips look good, we'll have to keep that in mind!
Sounds like you had fun!
I get it - we actually like T-REX a lot too! And the freestyle coke machines are so fun. I hope you get to try the food at Splitsville in January!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie View Post
It's nice to see a Splitsville review; I might have to make time for it on my next trip. The problem I have is that there are so many options at DTD now and they all sound so good!!
I know what you mean! And there are going to be even more options at DTD as they do their expansion into Disney Springs.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #44
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Wild Africa Trek

I have to admit, there were a lot of things that I was looking forward to with the Wild Africa Trek, and the food was one of the highest ones on my list! A meal is included with the price, and with the timing of our tour (we started at 11:30, and ate around 1:00) it served as our lunch. We stopped at a little place right on the savanna, so we had a fantastic view of the animals while we ate! They were also very willing to take any pictures you might want after you finished eating.

They give you a bucket, which is basically filled with sample sized portions of a bunch of different foods. The presentation was super cute, too! There were two layers to the metal bucket. Here's the first one:

This had smoked meats, a fruit salad, and a chicken curry salad. The top level was definitely my favorite, and I loved everything here. The chicken curry salad was definitely the best. It had a great balance of savory and sweet, with pieces of grape and mango mixed in with the chicken and curry. I think the fruit was in some sort of mint sauce, which made it very refreshing. And in my opinion, you can't go wrong with smoked meats! The flower was edible was well. While it didn't have a lot of flavor, I actually really enjoyed the texture and crunch of it - I ended up eating DH's flower as well

The second layer of the tin had three more little samples:

This included shrimp, hummus, and salmon. I ended up giving DH the smoked salmon because it was mixed with cream cheese, and for whatever reason I cannot stand cream cheese. The hummus was pretty good, and was served with three small pita rounds. There was a lot of hummus in the cup for me and I didn't quite finish it. The shrimp were out of this world. I don't know what sort of spices they were flavored with, but they tasted so good!

For a beverage, we were served the same Jungle Juice that you find at Tusker House and Boma:

At the time, we suspected DH might have a shellfish allergy. (By the way, he went for his food challenge today and ate some shrimp - he didn't show any symptoms so he is cleared to eat shellfish again! Yay!). We hadn't known about the potential allergy when I made the reservation, but when we signed in that morning they asked about any allergies and I mentioned it. They were very good to replace the shrimp with something else. The chef managed to whip up an apple and endive salad to replace it:

He actually didn't care too much for it, and felt really bad because they went to extra effort for him. I liked it though, so I ate it and traded him my salmon so it all worked out!

DH said he liked most of the meal. He also really liked that we got a variety of things to try. I thought the food was pretty fabulous. He gave the lunch an 8.5 out of 10. I'd give it a 9 out of 10. I just wish we could get it elsewhere since it was so good!

The price of this meal was included in the price of the Wild Africa Trek Tour (which I believe is normally $189 per person, but they were running a special when we went so we paid $139 per person).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: