Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
disneyquilter
Just keep swimmin'...

I'm in!!! Can't wait for Disney wedding food

Disneyland...Premium AP since '94...too many trips to count *~* WDW...2005 ASM/CSR ~ 2007 POFQ ~ 2009 CSR ~ 2012 CBR ~ 2015 Wilderness Lodge ~ 2017 AKL
disneyquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
pattiken
Mouseketeer

joining in

me , DH , DS 16 , DD 11

universal studios..hard rock hotel 2012 trip report...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002065
7 days disney at staying at SSR...ongoing report sep 2012http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3008157
pattiken is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

This is going to be good I'm in!

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyquilter View Post
I'm in!!! Can't wait for Disney wedding food
Welcome! Disney wedding food is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I am in for your reviews!!
Happy to have you along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiken View Post
joining in
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvstink View Post
This is going to be good I'm in!

Terri
Glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Ugh - still hating your travel day.

Can't wait for you to get to experience some of your ADRs and share them here!
Luckily most of the food after this was great, so there will be good thing to come!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

Isn't it funny... vacation food tastes better (even if it's awful) just because it's vacation food!!

I'm still in for the reviews!!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #22
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
Isn't it funny... vacation food tastes better (even if it's awful) just because it's vacation food!!

I'm still in for the reviews!!
It really does! Yay for vacation food!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #23
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

The Mara

Before I start, we had some good news - as you may have read in the intro, we suspected DH might have a shellfish allergy so he avoided it during this trip. However, he just went to the allergist and tested negative for shellfish allergy. The blood test also came back negative. So he'll be doing a "food challenge" where he'll eat some shrimp in the office just to make sure everything goes smoothly, and then he'll be approved to eat shellfish again! We still don't know what caused his allergic reaction but he's very excited about eating shrimp and crab again

We arrived at AKL around 10pm and were absolutely starving. Having missed our ADR for Sanaa, we headed down to the Mara for some food. DH started off the meal with the Lentil Sausage soup:

DH said that it was new and exciting for him, and much better than a lot of the generic American foods you get at Disney, so he was happy about getting to try something unique. He enjoyed it but said it may have tasted so good just because he was so hungry! He gave it a 7 out of 10.

For his main course he had the African Stew (hearty stew with beef, turkey, ham, carrots, potatoes, peas, chickpeas and raisins served over basmati rice):

His opinion on this was pretty much exactly the same as the soup. Unique, good, and he was starving so extra good. He gave this a 7 out of 10 as well and said that they were both really good for a quick service meal.

I had the chicken flatbread (with chicken breast, berbere sauce, mozzarella, corn and zhoug drizzle):

Again, another meal that tasted great but maybe partly because we were so hungry! I did enjoy the flatbread. It had some interesting, unique flavors. Unfortunately, there was one flavor on there that I just wasn't a fan of, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. However, it wasn't enough for me to not enjoy the meal and I would give it a 7 out of 10. Last time I ate here I had the chicken pita, and I preferred that.

Overall the Mara gets a solid 7 out of 10 from us. I think it's a great, unique option for counter service when you don't want chicken fingers or burgers. We would happily eat here again!

Lentil Sausage soup - $3.49
African Stew - $7.99
Chicken Flatbread - $9.69

Total including tax: $22.55
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #24
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Great Update. I am almost afraid to show these foods to Bob since he s such a picky eater. He is always says he dies not like this or that based solely on how it looks, I might get him to try the chicken flatbread but not with the green drizzle, he doesn't like sauces or green foods lmao
I am looking forward to trying lots of new foods but I am the more adventurous eater.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #25
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Oh, really enjoyed your Mara review! I can't wait to stay at AKL one day - I love that it has some different and unique offerings. We have gone over for dinner on all three of our trips (Boma twice and most recently Jiko), but it would be so nice to have a good CS option as well.
RGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #26
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Off to a great start! I love going to the EOS in PHL when I'm there on business. A nice little piece of Disney for me since we don't have one here.

That delay was horrible! Not a fan of Detroit airport on a good day.

Glad your DH isn't allergic to shellfish! Hope they do figure out what he had the reaction to.

Jill in CO
Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Great Mara review, I love the stew there.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #28
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Great Update. I am almost afraid to show these foods to Bob since he s such a picky eater. He is always says he dies not like this or that based solely on how it looks, I might get him to try the chicken flatbread but not with the green drizzle, he doesn't like sauces or green foods lmao
I am looking forward to trying lots of new foods but I am the more adventurous eater.
The Mara does have some "less adventurous" options too. I recall a burger as well as a pepperoni flatbread. So if you're looking for something different but he doesn't want something like that, you might be able to compromise there! And lol I get him on the green sauces - I actually don't like white sauces for some reason. I've just never been a fan of anything like ranch, mayo, cream cheese, etc. Nothing that they have in common really except the color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Oh, really enjoyed your Mara review! I can't wait to stay at AKL one day - I love that it has some different and unique offerings. We have gone over for dinner on all three of our trips (Boma twice and most recently Jiko), but it would be so nice to have a good CS option as well.
The sit-downs are great too. Loved Boma and Jiko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Off to a great start! I love going to the EOS in PHL when I'm there on business. A nice little piece of Disney for me since we don't have one here.

That delay was horrible! Not a fan of Detroit airport on a good day.

Glad your DH isn't allergic to shellfish! Hope they do figure out what he had the reaction to.

Jill in CO
I agree, seeing EOS is like a magical little piece of Disney! And Detroit was definitely not a fun place to hang out for hours. The only good thing was that they at least had outlets around so I could charge my phone and use my laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Great Mara review, I love the stew there.
The stew was great, a took a bite from DH!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #29
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I love lentil soup so that soup sounds great.

Isn't that annoying when you know there is just one small spice/ingredient that makes the dish taste funny when otherwise it would be fabulous?? At least that's me. I walked through the Mara last trip just so I could see the place for myself. Unfortunately, I had just eaten breakfast so I didn't try anything.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #30
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I love lentil soup so that soup sounds great.

Isn't that annoying when you know there is just one small spice/ingredient that makes the dish taste funny when otherwise it would be fabulous?? At least that's me. I walked through the Mara last trip just so I could see the place for myself. Unfortunately, I had just eaten breakfast so I didn't try anything.
Yes, it's so annoying! I'm guessing for me it was cilantro somewhere in one of the sauces. For some reason cilantro is really hit or miss with me - it can be in a dish and I'm totally fine with it, but other times I can't stand it. I'm guessing it might have something to do with how fresh it is and how strong the taste is, and if it's mixed with other things.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: