Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Le Cellier - first timer experience

We stopped in to Le Cellier yesterday for a late lunch. It was our first time ever eating there, even though we've been going to Epcot for decades, it always seemed impossible to get reservations on that short of notice, but I was able to book the same day which was pretty cool.

We didn't have to wait long to be seated, the restaurant was actually smaller than I expected, even though I already knew it is one of the smallest at WDW. Unfortunately, because it was our first time there, we didn't know the lay of the land so to speak, so we were not familiar with the seating arrangements, it's really cramped, and they put us on the aisle where there was a lot of traffic among the staff. And we were seated next to others even through the restaurant was 80% empty. They really could have done a better job of spreading people out and seating us in a better spot. But, we know for next time.

The drinks and bread took a while to be brought out. The bread was as good as everyone has said, the pretzel bread was hot and fresh and was delicious.

The menu items sounded delicious. I ordered the Lobster Cobb salad as a starter. It was good, but a little on the lemony side, only a few bits of lobster chunks, but it's what you would expect from a signature restaurant (small portion sizes). I wasn't feeling like eating an entree, and I've heard rave reviews about the poutines. I ordered the Lobster Poutine to share with DH. DH ordered the chicken entree.

I was really disappointed with the poutine. The lobster was chopped so small it was like a bit of chowder sauce on top of fries. The fries were soggy and soft. I ate a little and DH did as well, it tasted okay, nothing special at all, and for $16 this was a real bust. On a side note, I love the fries at Cookes of Dublin and those are just a few bucks and they are really satisfying. I'm not that picky really and like I mentioned if Cookes of Dublin can crank out an exceptional product for their low cost, for $16 you expect quality and it seemed like they really failed at making fries. If I had been to Le Cellier before and had the poutine and it was better than this, then I would have some basis for comparison, but since it was our first time, I have to assume that this is their standard for the poutine.

DH was really impressed with the taste of his entree. He loved every bite of it. I agree, it was delicious. Portion size was small, again typical signature size meal, which is what we were expecting. Definitely on par with the food from Artist Point which we also like. We skipped dessert, we were both full - mostly from bread I am guessing, we were hungry when we sat down and proceeding to get filled up on it.

Next time I will pass on the poutine and select something else from the menu. I do like filet mignon, so perhaps I'll try it next time, or maybe the soup and a different salad.

We enjoyed the food, sans the poutine, and the atmosphere; small hiccup on the seating arrangement and a little slow to start, but our server was friendly and did a good job overall. The cost for our food with tip came in at just under $70 with the Tables in Wonderland card. We definitely will go back to Le Cellier in the future.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
mullysisters
Mouseketeer

Feedback

Thanks for the lunch review of Le Cellier. I have never eaten here either.
My question is, did you give any feedback to the staff regarding the fries? I'm not very picky as a rule but, even at fast food places I refuse "bad" fries. I always tell them "for that many calories, the fries better be good"

I'd like to try Le Cellier and love poutine but for $16, I would be sending back the order you received.
I think too many people at Disney accept poor quality food. I'm not saying people should make a scene, just let the server know.

May 2014 - AoA solo trip!
Next trip May 6th 2015, CBR First time.
mullysisters is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullysisters View Post
Thanks for the lunch review of Le Cellier. I have never eaten here either.
My question is, did you give any feedback to the staff regarding the fries? I'm not very picky as a rule but, even at fast food places I refuse "bad" fries. I always tell them "for that many calories, the fries better be good"

I'd like to try Le Cellier and love poutine but for $16, I would be sending back the order you received.
I think too many people at Disney accept poor quality food. I'm not saying people should make a scene, just let the server know.
Thank you for your comments.

I did not give any feedback, I assumed that was the proper spec for the order. I completely agree, I am not really that picky, but like you said, for that many calories, it better be good, hot, crisp, and fresh.

I will say something depending on the circumstances. I just let it go, I've never had poutine before, and just didn't really know what to expect. I think the main reason was that the lobster topping was tiny little chowder bits, and no matter how good the fries are if they re-make it, I was really disappointed with the tiny pieces of lobster in the sauce/topping, they wouldn't have improved that aspect of the dish if you follow my reasoning - which is the whole reason why I ordered it, because I love lobster. Now if the lobster topping was awesome, I would have definitely told them that the fries were awful, but in this case both elements were bad, so I didn't bother.

I wouldn't order it again, that is for sure. I would just skip any of the poutines, I can get good fries elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
tweetylori
Mouseketeer

I appreciate the heads up about the lobster poutine. I was probably going to order it based on an older review that I had seen. Thank you! (got any pics?)
tweetylori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetylori View Post
I appreciate the heads up about the lobster poutine. I was probably going to order it based on an older review that I had seen. Thank you! (got any pics?)

We took a couple photos but they didn't come out well, it's really dark in the restaurant and we only had the cell phone. Sorry.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

we love Le Cellier...
One time we were there and I ordered prime rib and the wait person asked how I would like it cooked..and I said..short of being Raw...I love rare prime rib...well when it came to the table...The lady (yes close tables) asked if that was the salmon dish...being sort of dark in our area...I looked at it and it was raw looking..so I asked politely if they could just flip it a few times on the grill...she laughed...so did I...I got what I asked for...but it was delicious when I received it back..
The meals are usually delicious and love the cellar atmosphere..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetylori View Post
You wont regret it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: