Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3travellers View Post
I know, I know...fat chance, right? It is my dream to see the Christmas decorations at WDW, but DH and DS cannot fathom a vacation without warm sunshine and lots of pool time. How can I convince them it "may" happen? I'd like to hear from anyone that experienced great weather in December. TIA
December 7 to 9, 2012 ... It's been over 80 all week-end and we spend a lot of time in the pool!
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
GoofyBaby
Happily married music teacher and Disney lover extraordinaire!

It can totally happen! It just really will depend on the weather, which can be very unpredictable in December. Hubby and I went in December 2011 and we went swimming several times, as it was very warm.

3/07: Grand Californian! 5/07: Pop Century/Polynesian! 10/07: Pop Century DIS Meet! 12/08: Pop Century for MVMCP! 12/11: 1st trip w/ Hubby (& Hubby's 1st trip)!
My Disneyland Spring Break Trip Report! The Princess and The Knave Take on The World! Read My Trip Report Here!
GoofyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
GoofyBaby
Happily married music teacher and Disney lover extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APiratesLifeForMe2 View Post
When I went mid December 2011 it was unseasonably cold. They actually had covered all flowers to prevent frost and I wore at least 3 layers and still froze! I will reiterate it was unseasonably cold so don't expect it but be prepared. During the day the sun is pretty strong and the pools are heated so you should have some pool time.
Yep, like I said, the weather is very unpredictable in December! We went in early December (almost second week of December) and it was warm.

3/07: Grand Californian! 5/07: Pop Century/Polynesian! 10/07: Pop Century DIS Meet! 12/08: Pop Century for MVMCP! 12/11: 1st trip w/ Hubby (& Hubby's 1st trip)!
My Disneyland Spring Break Trip Report! The Princess and The Knave Take on The World! Read My Trip Report Here!
GoofyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
December 7 to 9, 2012 ... It's been over 80 all week-end and we spend a lot of time in the pool!
You left at the right time. We were there at the same time for 2 weeks (Dec. 1-15). The day after you left, it was raining. Then sun came out for a couple of days, then it rained and got cold for 2 days before the sun came back out again. The weekend you're referring to was a nice weekend though.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
I know, I know...fat chance, right? It is my dream to see the Christmas decorations at WDW, but DH and DS cannot fathom a vacation without warm sunshine and lots of pool time. How can I convince them it "may" happen? I'd like to hear from anyone that experienced great weather in December. TIA
We've gone in early December annually for 20+ years. Some years its been warm. Some years its been cold. Some years its been both in the same weekend. I've got pictures from one december where we are wearing shorts and a t-shirt of Friday, but 2 days later we're wearing winter jackets.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
You left at the right time. We were there at the same time for 2 weeks (Dec. 1-15). The day after you left, it was raining. Then sun came out for a couple of days, then it rained and got cold for 2 days before the sun came back out again. The weekend you're referring to was a nice weekend though.
Yeah, I think we've been lucky.

Not so lucky during our honeymoon in 2011 (october which is usually confortable I was told). Between 50 and 65 degrees all week.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
love dec - the holiday decorations & lights are so great.

the weather can be iffy - been there when high was in the 90 (generally 80/70's) and one time the high was in the 30's.

it is even hard for the seasoned weather people - so bring your summer stuff and winter..... because when the cold weather comes in - it is fast.

you might get a couple of days warning - but always be prepared.

one day it might be in the 70's - next day 40's or lower (f)

wish the Dec weather was more predicatable - but it is not.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

We were at POR in January 2012 -- I went out for my morning run at 6:00am and it was down to low 40s. T shirt and shorts and brisk pace, but it was chilly. After getting showered and getting the girls up and ready to go to breakfast, we saw our next door neighbors from Houston heading for breakfast also, in hats, sweatshirts, and their blankets wrapped around them. I was at least low 50s at that point! I guess everyone has a different threshold.

Tom
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

We've been there once in early Dec, many times in early Jan (all stays for about 7-10 days) and have always had at least a few days of swimming and even sunning weather. Obviously it can be very different from that, but the nice winter weather in Fla is one of the reasons we love that time of year there!
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
si-am
DIS Veteran

Everyone's right. You can go from shorts and tee-shirts to coats and gloves in a matter of days in December. Pack the swim suits just incase (and pack some coats and gloves, too!)
Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
rosiebean
Mouseketeer

Christmas week 2005, had a few chilly nights, but warm days. Warm enough (80s) for us to swim. I actually wanted to swim more, but we were with extended family and didn't get to go to the pool so much.
rosiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #27
Terpgirl79
Mouseketeer

Was at AKL a few years back in Dec and swam a couple times. Pool was heated but was quite chilly getting out. Other trips in Dec we found it just too chilly. I'd bring a suit and play it by ear.
Terpgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #28
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I went last year. Right after Thanksgiving they were in a terrible cold snap, even cold for my coworker who lives here in NY. We went 2 weeks later and had 80 degree days and my kids swam every day.

I think there is no way of knowing. I would just inform DS of when I want to go, and welcome him to come along. Or he could stay home with a babysitter.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
December weather is very unpredictable, so there's no way to know for sure how warm it will be. We've been twice in December and had different weather each time. The first time we swam on our arrival day, but the pool had to be closed for the rest of the week due to the cold. We actually had to buy coats and gloves to keep warm (and we are used to very cold temps). On our second December trip, we were able to swim 3 or 4 days out of the week as temps were in the mid 80s. We spend a lot of time at the resort on our trips and we love hanging out at the pool, and while we were a little disappointed that we couldn't swim much on our first December trip, we loved being in Disney that time of year as the parks and resorts are beautifully decorated and we had great time, even without pool time. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #30
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

We've been in December three times over the years. Once the first week and the other times just before and thru Christmas day. We swam all three times. One Christmas trip we even did a waterpark. You can definitely do it. Would we have liked it to be a bit warmer, sure. But it was in the mid-70s in the afternoons and therefore doable.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: