Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
rickers353
Mouseketeer

OKW vs AKL vs WL

Which one of the three is best for 4 including DS, 16 and 12?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

depends on what you like....Wl is closest to MK, AKL has some animals,and OKW has great grounds and the BIGGEST rooms
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

What kind of room where you looking at? Studio or 1 bedroom?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
rickers353
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby
What kind of room where you looking at? Studio or 1 bedroom?
Studio
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers353 View Post
Which one of the three is best for 4 including DS, 16 and 12?
We've never stayed at OKW, but we love WL and AKL. If you want to be close to MK, WL would be a great choice as it's a quick bus or boat ride away. Plus you are just a boat ride from the CR for a variety of dining options where you can also hop on the monorail and visit the Poly and GF. With that said, we loved AKL and found the buses to be fine as it didn't take more than about 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts we've stayed at. You really can't go wrong with either one as they are both beautiful resorts (I can't comment on OKW as we've never stayed there). Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at two out of three -- OKW (four times now) and AKL. The WL doesn't appeal to us, but it is a lovely resort.

OKW has the largest studios (and this is what we have stayed in all four times and this includes twice with my friend and her two young daughters, ages 7 and 9) and my husband and I have stayed there twice and one of those times our 25 year old son joined us. There was plenty of room for all of us. AKL we stayed in a one-bedroom villa as a special treat and it was really too big for just DH and I. We are hoping to stay in a one-bedroom next year when we take our youngest son and his new bride. We love both of the resorts, but OKW gets a slight edge from us because of the boat to DTD and it's closer to the parks.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

WL by far the best...

We've done all three...AKL and OKW never to return to.

OKW we had a 2 bedroom, fantastic villa...problem is resort is too huge, having to take a bus to swim, eat, time consuming plus only a few buildings have elevators....climbing flights of stairs with granddaughter and stroller not enjoyable...

AKL, remotely located, very few animals on our Savannah, decor, FOOD choices not to our liking....all around a terrible resort choice by us...your opinion may differ..

WL, best on price, location, decor and amenities...we've stayed there over 12 times...no complaints...boat to MK and FW..great area all in all over the other 2 choices..

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The studio at AKV and VWL will have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. The studio at OKW will have two queen beds. Will the two boys sleep together in a double bed? You won't have a lot of room for an aerobed on the floor in the studio with the sleeper sofa opened up. And DVC won't provide a cot or rollaway.

At OKW, you can get anywhere using the bus system if you don't choose to walk (but even the furthest walk isn't that far - maybe 10 minutes). All buses stop last at the Hospitality House where Olivia's and Goods to Go are both located. Goods to Go is not a food court and is really just a pool side counter service with limited offerings. There are multiple pools with only the themed pool at the HH area having a slide.

You can take a boat from OKW to DTD.

VWL has a smaller studio than OKW and most views are the woods. There is at least one studio without a balcony because of a design error. There is a non-themed leisure pool right at the villas or you can use the themed pool at WL (which is only a short walk away). You can take a boat or bus to MK and buses to all the other parks.

AKV is divided into two buildings - Jambo House (the original building) and Kidani Village (all DVC villas), which are about 1/2 mile apart (so about 10 minutes to walk between them). Both buildings have a themed pool. KV only has Sanaa (Indian themed dining) for table service. JH has the Mara (counter service), Boma (breakfast and dinner buffet) and Jiko (dinner table service). All studios (and all DVC villas) at JH are located on the fifth and sixth floors. Sixth floor villas are conciege level villas. There are only five, connected to a one bedroom to make a two bedroom lockoff. The concierge villas are hard to get.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
EMILAYLAY93
Earning My Ears

We've stayed at all 3 and the only one I wouldn't recommend is Kidani Village because of limited food options. It was a pain for us to go to Jambo for food offerings.

We liked the extra room at OKW, but the atmosphere didn't interest our DD's so I'm not sure when we will return.
EMILAYLAY93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
rickers353
Mouseketeer

I see pros and cons to each and appreciate the answers. The double sleeper may be the deal breaker, my 2 DS can't sleep together on that....disaster waiting to happen!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: