Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Question CSR a "Smoker's Paradise"?

I watched the DIS Unplugged review of CSR and they said something to the effect of it being a Smoker's Paradise. Apparently, because of it being a convention hotel, it has a lot of smoking areas and they acted as if you couldn't take a walk anywhere without passing smokers. I have asthma and avoid cigarette smoke like the plague. This is really worrying me.

What has been your experience at CSR?
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

During our 7-night stay in Feb 2012 we didn't encounter a single smoker actually. We spent a decent amount of time walking along the paths exploring, and our room was in Casitas 4 so we had a decent hike to El Centro every morning to get breakfast & would usually make the walk another 1-2 times per day in the evening to refill our mugs. I don't know where all of the designated smoking areas are, but we didn't run into any problems. We were there during a convention also...the only annoying thing was one night at one of the outdoor bar areas the businessmen were all standing around, drinking, and being pretty noisy. My husband just wanted to grab a beer there but ended up taking it back to our room because it was noisy. Actually, now that I think about it, there may have been someone smoking there but I don't remember for sure. That was our only issue.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
archdandy
DIS Veteran

On our Disneymoon in 2011 I don't recall the smoke being a problem. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've stayed at plenty of Disney resorts and it didn't seem any different smoke-wise than the other resorts.

October 2013 Port Orleans Resort
May 2013 Animal Kingdom Kidani
October 2012 Art of Animation
January 2012 Port Orleans Resort
June 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2010 All Star Sports
archdandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
shalom
DIS Veteran

There are a lot of smoking areas, but ALL the resorts have what, to my non-smoking self, seems like a lot of smoking areas. And, as usual, at CSR they're liberally sprinkled along the lake. But of course most of the time there's no one in most of the smoking areas actually smoking.

I'm sure it's more of an issue about the same time crowds in the quick serve areas are an issue -- in the morning before people have gone to the parks and in the evenings and people are settling in. And it depends on how many smokers are in the resort and how strongly they feel about smoking.

If there's a convention of some group that's particularly prone to smoking, I expect it could a problem, but most convention goers are no more prone to be smokers than the average Disney visitor. In some fields, smoking is viewed as "a career killer", because so many businesses won't hire smokers or otherwise try to discourage it; if that's the group having a convention at CSR, smoking is not likely to be an issue.

You can always plan your routes to avoid the smoking areas, too, although it's sometimes inconvenient. There's a map with the smoking areas marked here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cspringsmap.htm

But, again, we've gone through many a smoking area with no problem (and one of my daughters will react just to used cigarettes, so we're pretty aware of them). We like to know where they are so we can avoid them if necessary, but it usually isn't necessary to change our route in order to avoid smokers.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

The only smoking area that was a real problem for me was the one by the pool. I am not sure if you can tell by the map but it is very close to the hot tub area. If the wind blows the wrong way, it can get smoky in that area. But basically near every single pool is a smoking area and in the main lobby area, there are six. I am really sensitive as well and I did notice it but it is not horrible.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

We have stayed at CSR four times with an asthmatic husband and an asthmatic child. We have not ever had a problem there.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
FUNMAMADIS
Mouseketeer

I'm crazy about avoiding smoke for my kids' sake. I've seen quite a few areas, but maybe only one smoker. I haven't smelled it at all. And we've been at the parks late, so I haven't noticed them more at night.

The smoking area next to cinderella's castle was far more bothersome & smoke filled. I didn't realize I was going through it until too late.
FUNMAMADIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If inadvertantly walking past or through a DSA will be traumatic for you then take heart. At check in you will receive a map of the resort. The DSAs are clearly marked on it. Carry the map on your person at all times and you should be able to plot your route in order to avoid them. (And if you do accidently end up going past one, use the map as a fan).
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
supradupafast
Earning My Ears

CSR is such a huge resort. I don't remember walking by any smokers while we were there in March this year. Don't think it will be a problem.
Even if you noticed a smoker, it isn't like the resort is crowded.
Jan 15' - Disney Magic Cruise 7days + AOA + POR
supradupafast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
wen8jr
DIS Veteran

We stayed at CSR during the busiest time of the year - at Christmas for 8 days - and never seen anyone standing around smoking. Pathways are roomy and the resort has a lot of open outdoor space, etc. I wouldn't imagine it being a problem.

However, at POR there was always a group huddled up smoking on our way to the buses, etc. Usually smoke doesn't bother me and I remember it annoyed me quite a bit there.
wen8jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

November will be my first CSR visit so I can't say for there, but will suggest you watch for where smoking areas are in the parks.
During parade and fire works times, I swear the last two times I was there I would find a good spot to watch and that would end up down wind from a smoking area.

I'm very sensitive to smoke and it really messed my allergies.
Just a heads up.

2014 - POFQ 26th Anniversary! giggles and yay!
2014 - POR solo trip, 2013 - CSR (25th Anniversary month)
2010 - POFQ (Celebrating my special friend 79th birthday - We adopted each other as daughter/Mother), 2008 - POP (Special vacation with youngest son before high school)
2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons), 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons)
1988 - Polynesian (Honeymoon), 1985 - Disney Land visit one day (girlfriends)
1983 - Disney World (girlfriend - don't remember where we stayed)
RejoyceoverDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejoyceoverDisney View Post
November will be my first CSR visit so I can't say for there, but will suggest you watch for where smoking areas are in the parks.
Ditto this. I collected a long list of "quiet places in the parks" once, and turns out more than half of them are DSAs. Last time we were there, I had the DSAs all mapped out in my head, but turns out they'd added one to the path that runs from the Fantasyland train station back to Tomorrowland. Fortunately there was only one smoker there when we wandered through, and the breeze was to our favor. The DSAs that would likely impact someone watching the parade are right on the hub near the Plaza restaurant, and about halfway down on that low wooden walkway along the Rivers of America.

Unless there's a breeze, we find it's pretty easy to avoid all the DSAs except the one back by the wishing well in the MK, which seems to be crowded a lot and can spread out far enough you can't get to the Fairytale Garden without walking through a serious cloud of smoke. We try to do anything that interests us there (Fairytale Garden, wishing well) early in the day for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWToasterSquad View Post
but even in the morning when people are getting up and ready I never had any problems.
The fact that you didn't have any problems doesn't mean your smoke didn't bother anyone. DSAs exist so people who are sensitive can avoid the smoke; smoking at your room door defeats the purpose.

Quote:
To me, a Disney Smoker's Paradise would be a resort with a balcony so I wouldn't even have to go to a DSA
I dunno about Fort Wilderness, but smoking is not allowed on the Deluxe resort balconies.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...io-or-balcony/

Sorry, there is no "smoker's paradise" at WDW. And no "non-smokers paradise," either. Guess we'll just have to find a way to coexist here on earth.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
marielynn724
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
I watched the DIS Unplugged review of CSR and they said something to the effect of it being a Smoker's Paradise. Apparently, because of it being a convention hotel, it has a lot of smoking areas and they acted as if you couldn't take a walk anywhere without passing smokers. I have asthma and avoid cigarette smoke like the plague. This is really worrying me.

What has been your experience at CSR?
We stayed at CSR for 8 days last August and we encountered this problem. There was a convention going on for 2 or 3 days at the beginning of our trip and the smokers were outside of El Centro smoking in the area where the outdoor bar is. This is the only place to walk through to get to everything in the main building. It was pretty gross to have to go through it all the time, but after they left we didn't have this problem anymore. They really need to designate and out-of-the-way area for smokers that won't bother families and others who don't want to be exposed to that.
May 2007 - Disneyland Paris
October 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
April 2010 - Grand Floridian
August 2012 - Coronado Springs
marielynn724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielynn724 View Post
We stayed at CSR for 8 days last August and we encountered this problem. There was a convention going on for 2 or 3 days at the beginning of our trip and the smokers were outside of El Centro smoking in the area where the outdoor bar is. This is the only place to walk through to get to everything in the main building. It was pretty gross to have to go through it all the time, but after they left we didn't have this problem anymore. They really need to designate and out-of-the-way area for smokers that won't bother families and others who don't want to be exposed to that.
They have to keep a balance on where the areas are. Make them too out of the way and people won't use them. They will just walk around smoking.

By the way, you can get into El Centro without walking through the smoking area. Depending on what building your room is in it may mean taking a bit of a long way around, but you can do it.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Just quit two days ago(AGAIN) after smoking my last cigarette by the Carousel of Progress for Walt, when I was last at CSR back in May I smoked cigarettes outside my friends room probably 3-4 times, a housekeeping lady walked past and didn't even say anything. I also found a bench with an ashtray not too far by probably two minutes away. Honestly I've stayed at All Star Sports numerous times and have never had any scuffles over me smoking in front of my room. Granted I usually did it at a reasonable hour(middle of the day so everyone is at the parks, late at night, etc.) but even in the morning when people are getting up and ready I never had any problems. To me, a Disney Smoker's Paradise would be a resort with a balcony so I wouldn't even have to go to a DSA(Magic Kingdom/Epcot resorts, or like the Fort Wilderness cabins with the outside bench) or anything. But that's just because I'm lazy.
You got away with smoking where you were smoking. You are not supposed to smoke in front of your room unless you are in a designated smoking area. Balconies are not DSAs either, so getting a room with one won't give you easier access to smoking.

Even though housekeeping didn't say anything to you, if you looked at the resort map you would know smoking wasn't allowed where you were doing it. Why should someone have to tell you that in order for you to follow the rules?
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: