Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
sammysmom
Mouseketeer

Surprise Upgrade???

Just curious for all of you have received surprise upgrades, had you checked in online before you arrived or did you just do the normal check in? Is there a chance of being upgraded if you check in online?? I know that upgrades happen few and far between however, I was just trying to figure out which happen more frequently. Please share your stories!!!
1996-Offsite, 1998-All Star Music, 2003-All Star Movies, 2005-All Star Movies, 2006-All Star Movies, 2007-Pop Century, 2008-Pop Century, 2009-Pop Century,2010-Beach Club Resort, 2011- Beach Club Resort, 2012- Yacht Club,2013-Beach Club,2014-Beach Club

sammysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysmom View Post
Just curious for all of you have received surprise upgrades, had you checked in online before you arrived or did you just do the normal check in? Is there a chance of being upgraded if you check in online?? I know that upgrades happen few and far between however, I was just trying to figure out which happen more frequently. Please share your stories!!!
Out of our 7 on-site stays, we have only been upgraded once and we had done on-line check in.

As you are aware, I am sure the upgrade was probably for resort purposes (we had booked a SV CL room and those were probably all out, so they upgraded us to Lagoon view CL) but we were also chosen as Family of the Day which we were notified of at check in, which was really cool!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
MiramarQE
Mouseketeer

We checked-in on-line to BC CL (water/pool view) - when we arrived the CM said they had a surprise for us, a suite.

HOWEVER - the suite was on the 1st floor - located at the far South-East end of BC (closest to Epcot) - meaning to use the CL lounge we would have a 5 minute walk and elevator ride up to the 5th floor - we turned down the suite and took a standard water-view room on the 5th floor.
MiramarQE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I've only been upgraded once and that was from garden view to water view at BC.

In our case, we requested connecting rooms with my parents as well as full balconies. We also did online check-in.

We got the connecting rooms but not the full balconies. I suspect that they may have given us the category upgrade to make up for not giving us the full balconies.

From this experience, I've learned that it never hurts to make room requests because if you don't get that request granted, they may upgrade you instead.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysmom View Post
Upgrade occur at the discretion and convenience of the resort and they are things you have absolutely no control over.

Online check-in vs. regular check-in has nothing to do with room availability, maintenance issues, guests having to stay longer than expected due to weather issues at home, overbooking at other resorts, etc.

There is nothing you can do to have a better chance of getting an upgrade. The question is asked a hundred different ways, but the outcome is always the same. You cannot expect it nor do you have any opportunity to "increase" your chances.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

We have been upgraded twice. Once to a 2 bedroom suite at Yacht Club and the other to Lagoon view at Yacht Club. I never do online check in, I like the flexibility that I PERCEIVE I have at the front desk! Both upgrades happened very early in the day which to me is backwards as to how I would think they would happen...(meaning you show up and all the rooms are gone in your booked category so here you go). In MY case, both were very early check ins.

scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmel View Post
We have been upgraded twice. Once to a 2 bedroom suite at Yacht Club and the other to Lagoon view at Yacht Club. I never do online check in, I like the flexibility that I PERCEIVE I have at the front desk! Both upgrades happened very early in the day which to me is backwards as to how I would think they would happen...(meaning you show up and all the rooms are gone in your booked category so here you go). In MY case, both were very early check ins.
Maybe the YC is just awesome at upgrades because that's where ours was.

However, we arrived VERY late...pretty close to midnight...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Maybe the YC is just awesome at upgrades because that's where ours was.

However, we arrived VERY late...pretty close to midnight...
Well I thought it was because I stayed there every summer and felt like a regular! LOL! Sometimes I think the conventioneers get the standard rooms etc. so maybe they bump the guests not on such a discount as a conventioneer would be? I don't know...I wasn't complaining!!!

scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
srgibbs
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at Wilderness lodge 5x and gotten a upgrade every single time without asking! Checking in at various times. We love that resort
srgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
revdon64
Mouseketeer

Not really sure if this was an upgrade or not, but we just got back from 9 days at POFQ. We originally booked standard view and later upgraded to garden view. We checked in online and when we got to the room it was first floor, building 6 facing the river. Although there was a bush outside the room, it seemed to me that we got water view for garden view price.

revdon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

In May we were booked for the last night of our trip at the Poly to spend 2 days (well almost 2 days ) relaxing and recovering before going home. This was a stretch for us financially so that's why we only booked the 1 night. We booked a standard room. I did do online check in.

Upon check in we were placed in a Pool View Club Level Room in the Hawaii building. a DREAM!!! we are now wrecked and are trying to plan a trip back there at the end of next year!! I think that's why they do it! haha

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

There's always the same person who is such a downer everytime this question comes up!
I was upgraded from GV @ the GF to Sugarloaf CL- so exciting, but honestly, the parks were empty!
We also got a gorgeous Castle view in RPC GF, which wasn't a room category like it is now, but we requested it and honestly, it was the best stay of our life.. I stared at that Castle for hours!
Best of Luck and Pixie Dust to everyone on getting an upgrade!! XO
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
rn448698
Mouseketeer

Online checkin. Was upgraded from BC to BC-CL while on a 35 or 40% annual pass discount.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnbilly View Post
There's always the same person who is such a downer everytime this question comes up!
I was upgraded from GV @ the GF to Sugarloaf CL- so exciting, but honestly, the parks were empty!
We also got a gorgeous Castle view in RPC GF, which wasn't a room category like it is now, but we requested it and honestly, it was the best stay of our life.. I stared at that Castle for hours!
Best of Luck and Pixie Dust to everyone on getting an upgrade!! XO
nice!

also, i agree.... good luck to everyone on getting upgrades! i want to hear the stories, they are fun.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpvJune 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

I've never been upgraded but its nice to dream!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: