Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
2fit4fatmom
Mouseketeer

Best December week?!

I am looking for light crowds! :-) I would love to see the holiday décor as I have never seen it yet! I am thinking one of the first two weeks in dec? Is the candlelight processional the only thing that would draw crowds either of those weeks?! Also is it still only two nights?

If anyone has gone how was the weather? I will have a 2 and 3 year old so I am thinking dec or last week in April first week in May. Any input is appreciated! :-)Cant wait to take DH and my two sweet boys on their first Disney trip!
2fit4fatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Baxhappyplace
Mouseketeer

I looked on the website that tracks the crowds and predicts crowds. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the busiest here is what it says:

Dec 2-5: 1
Dec 6-8: 7-9
Dec 9-12: 1-3
Dec 13-15: 7-9

We are going the first week of Dec. because, if this site is right, we would love to be there when it is a 1. We are normally there when it is an 8 or 9, during the summer.

Baxhappyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
dholmes1950
Earning My Ears

We've gone several times the first week of December following Thanksgiving and had very light crowds.

The weather is sometimes still really warm and sometimes cooler (light jackets at night).
dholmes1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
halfgirlhalfmouse
Earning My Ears

I went last year mid December and was shocked how light the crowds were. I really thought it would be the busiest I had ever seen it, especially with Cars Land celebrating the holidays for the first time, but it was great! I was even there very close to xmas and it still wasn't bad, especially during the day. If it is anything like last year, you should feel good about going any day of the month.
halfgirlhalfmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fit4fatmom View Post
I am looking for light crowds! :-) I would love to see the holiday décor as I have never seen it yet! I am thinking one of the first two weeks in dec? Is the candlelight processional the only thing that would draw crowds either of those weeks?! Also is it still only two nights?

If anyone has gone how was the weather? I will have a 2 and 3 year old so I am thinking dec or last week in April first week in May. Any input is appreciated! :-)Cant wait to take DH and my two sweet boys on their first Disney trip!
Either of the first two weeks in December are a wonderful time to go.

The weather is lovely(cooler, and chilly at night), and the crowds are lighter!

When we go in December, we always bring whatever we need to have in case of rain. It's just good to be prepared.
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

I'm going the second weekend (12-15th) and I'm so hoping there are light crowds. I'm worried how the CP might affect things :/
dragonflycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Jenasweetemotion
♥ Disney Lover ♥

We have gone the first and second week in Dec. since 2006 and it is always really light crowds a little heavier on Fridays & Weekends but nothing to bad. The only exception is Candlelight which is almost always the first weekend in Dec. it gets busy but it really dies off by Monday because it is an event a lot of locals attend. We are going again this year Dec 8th-14th. This by far is our favorite time of year and is extra magical to us.
The weather since we have gone has varied we have had rain a few year back and then cooler weather to high 70's during the day. It can get chilly at night but we usually go back to the hotel and change around 5pm. If it does rain though as long as you are prepared for it, what little crowds there are fade off and you feel like you have the park to yourself so we loved it.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
MamaChelle
Hakuna Matata

My family and I always go the week after Thanksgiving spending 5 days in the park out of our 9 days in SoCal. Crowds are definitely on the lighter side and we usually get a lot done. Many times have been able to walk on rides or do them again with little wait times. A very enjoyable time for sure especially with all the Holiday decorations! Nothing is more magical.

As for the weather... the past 3 times was different every time. We come from Hawaii so we are not used to cold/cooler weather but..

2010- weather was nice! we could go out in tanks and jeans and be fine.
2011- We constantly had light jackets on, definitely cooler this year!
2012- Cold, wet, rainy for 3 of 5 days of our days in disney. but "even a rainy day at disneyland is better then a sunny day anywhere else" haha. we still had a good time but had med-weight jackets on most of the time. when the sun did come out though it felt nice but still chilly.

as for nights... that's a different story! We were bundled. Thick jackets, boots, beanies, hoods on. If I had gloves I probably would have worn them. But remember! We aren't used to that kind of cold. Depending where you are from you might be able to handle it. NOT us!
url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/][/url]
MamaChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fit4fatmom View Post

2fit4fatmom --

See this post, particularly the Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...37&postcount=3. You will notice that weather and crowds are covered, as well as the Candlelight Ceremony.

These subjects and many more are discussed in the DLR at Christmas/Holiday Superthread all the time, so even if you don't want to join us there and post your questions you might get an overall idea of what the season will be like from looking over the first 9 posts on Page 1 of the thread and/or subscribing to it. That way you will see what kind of news is coming in and what we're all discussing that could affect this year's season or future seasons. I don't think you'll be disappointed! It's a great, informative thread and we're a fun, friendly bunch of folks. We have a wonderful group of people who contribute to the Christmas Superthread -- both in terms of giving answers/info (for example, Cheshirecatty is one of our valued participants!) and posting amazing photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflycurls View Post
I'm going the second weekend (12-15th) and I'm so hoping there are light crowds. I'm worried how the CP might affect things :/
dragonflycurls --

There is no need or reason to be worried about the Candlelight Ceremony! I know you've been in the Superthread, so you have probably noticed that the CP is only taking place on Saturday, 12/7 and Sunday, 12/8 this year (we've talked about it and I've posted updates - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1462). The crowds for the CP will be long gone by your trip and will have nothing to do with your dates. Many, many, many CP spectators (who have been attending the CP for decades) only come to DL for those 2 days or for only one of those days. They don't really stay all week long, especially not in a year when the CP is only going to take place over 2 nights (as opposed to last year's 20 nights).

There are never light crowds on any weekend of the holiday season. It is a peak season to be in the parks, the holidays are extremely popular at DLR and weekends are weekends (when lots of people are out of work and school). The key is to try to get there during times when the crowds are lighter, and that would be early weekdays in the first couple of weeks of December (which is when I go), and/or immediately after Thanksgiving break is over.

During your trip, Thursday is probably going to be the least crowded day. The other days will be busy -- but not like insane, New Year's Eve-level busy. Just regular holiday season weekend-type busy. Around that mid-month point is when some people start to slowly ease into their early Christmas breaks, so I wouldn't be shocked if you notice that Saturday, 12/14 and Sunday, 12/15 are suddenly very crowded. But it will be fine. Just expect to see some crowds and prepare for it. No reason to worry!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12

Last edited by Sherry E; 09-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: