Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Callalily6
DIS Veteran

Question How good is Disney Concierge?

I'd love to hear about your experience with concierge while staying at Disney. We are on club level/ concierge level at BC for this trip. I've stayed at this level of service at the Ritz and Montage. The Montage floored me with their service. Usually my gold standard is Disney, but so far they haven't been helpful. I was told they'd help with ressies and FPs, but they totally dropped the ball. I ended up making all the dining ressies and we missed the chance at some of the harder locations to get into. During our last trip they were very smiley, but didn't help the way concierge usually helps. We were at the Contemporary last time.

Anyone have experience with this? Maybe they're just for show?

I was swamped with work and actually could have used the help this trip which was why we paid extra for it. So far the level of service is the same as if we stayed in a reg room. That's awesome for when we do that, which is most of the time. Help me shake the magic up! I'm kicking myself for having them do the ressies. We can't get into Beasts castle for dinner and that was my main place to try. So bummed.

Last edited by Callalily6; 09-05-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Callalily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

You should not expect the same level of service that you got at the Ritz. There's a reason Disney doesn't call it concierge, but club level. That said I've always had excellent service and support from the club level staff during trips and from the Itinerary Planning Office before arrival. (Beach Club and the Poly). But if your expectations are based on those other trips mentioned, you will likely be disappointed.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Callalily6
DIS Veteran

So it sounds like they helped you with planning. I've gotten 0 help fm them prior to arrival.

Let me alter my question: What have they done for you in addition to the normal things they do? Right now it seems like there's no point in paying for it.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callalily6 View Post
So it sounds like they helped you with planning. I've gotten 0 help fm them prior to arrival.

Let me alter my question: What have they done for you in addition to the normal things they do? Right now it seems like there's no point in paying for it.

I reread your post, did you give the IPO reservation requests 180 plus days out, and they weren't able to help you? That's kind of unusual. What did they say when you talked to them? That would be frustrating.

I usually try to get them the requests about a week or more before my 180 day out date. Are they helping you now keep an eye out? It sounds like you're wanting BOG, that's a tough get, after the booking date.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~

Last edited by gwynne; 09-05-2014 at 01:16 PM.
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Hostly, IMHO, not much. The only reason we booked it (AKL) a couple of years ago was to do the Sunrise Safari and we had a TON of rewards dollars. Nothing about the food/drinks/service make it worth about an extra $100/day.

It's nice, but nothing I would ever pay for again at any WDW hotel. Out travel agent can book ADRs for us and the Club Level staff has no special "ins" to get you into a place with no ADRs left.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
kapoof
DIS Veteran

I have stayed cl at the bc and poly and was blown away..but I am easily impressed with disney.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callalily6 View Post

I was contacted by the Poly quite a bit in advance of my 180 day window and sent a questionnaire to complete, listing our dining requests, family info, other activities we wanted to do, etc. I don't remember for the Beach club but we booked that trip much closer to our travel dates and I probably made my own reservations. We've stayed club at the Poly twice and once at Beach Club.

We don't book club level for the services like that however. We like it because we like the lounge for breakfast, snacks and drinks and we like that the club level floor/building is more private than the rest of the resort. I like the turn down service as well. When we choose to do stay club level (we are DVC members so usually stay that way), it's worth it to us.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
mhconley
Califloridian

We stayed club level on our 2002 Grand Floridian trip. I felt the concierge did not do anything I couldn't do on my own - and everything seemed to take much longer than if I just did it myself. I also booked before I knew about the DIS and nobody contacted us prior to arrival. They couldn't get us any table service reservations that weren't available to me on the phone so why did we pay $$$ for club level?

The snacks and food was nice but we don't drink and weren't around enough for it to make much difference.

I'll never waste money booking club level again.

Martin
Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Polynesian / Yacht Club: August 16-26, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Callalily6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
We don't book club level for the services like that however. We like it because we like the lounge for breakfast, snacks and drinks and we like that the club level floor/building is more private than the rest of the resort.
Me too. I usually do it b/c it makes life easier. Disney has been superior to every other place I've been when it comes to customer service, but the past few trips they were totally lacking. The rooms were dirty - like cobweb dirty (club level at Contemporary) and their concierge wasn't much help there either. I can't remember what I asked them, but it was something minor - like do they have booster seats in restaurants. Something I couldnt recall. We have a 10 yr gap b/t our middle and youngest child. She didn't know, had to put in calls, etc. It wasn't worth asking for help b/c it was a waste of time. I sat there for 20 mins on a simple question. That's not like them.

However, this kinda stuff has happened to us the past few trips. I know this doesn't have much to do with concierge, but it kind of does because the main reason we choose Disney for vacation is because no matter what went wrong - they fixed it. No worries. All smiles. We go about every 6 months. They took the worry out of the vacation. <--That's worth it to me. That is part of the magic.

The last trip I had a CM scold me as I was getting my EVC to make sure I didn't let my child ride on it. My kid was no where near it and I never do that. (I'd had surgery and couldnt walk). That was at MK. He went on and on about how they'll take it away and I'd be stuck in the back of the park and have to hobble out on my own. The man was scolding me for a good five mins, lecturing me before I scooted away from the rental counter. It was embarrassing. I'd been attributing these things off to an employee having a bad day, but I'm starting to think their service is slipping and I'm a die-hard Disney girl.

This experience (so far) is another example. No one contacted me. I contacted them several times, asking for help with dining. They replied once with a repeated message - how can I help you? I told them again where and when I wanted to go. The second time there was no response. The third time, nothing. I booked all our meals. I've not heard a peep from them since.

I did read that club level is supposed to be concierge level, but they can't call it that b/c their customer services is called concierge.

I hope this trip rocks. I'm okay with not getting in at Beasts Castle, but nonresponsiveness is weird, especially since they know we go there all the time. I was hoping they'd point me toward cool things for the kids too. Im going to ask them when we get there. I usually like planning, but I've been buried in work. We're doing MNSSHP. I thought about doing a fireworks show but wasn't sure about the toddler.

You know what I WISH so badly that they had - MK CASTLE TOURS. I want one. That would be AMAZING.

Thanks for your help guys! We love Disney. I'd be so sad if they lost their luster. I'm really hoping they haven't.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
We stayed club level on our 2002 Grand Floridian trip. I felt the concierge did not do anything I couldn't do on my own - and everything seemed to take much longer than if I just did it myself. I also booked before I knew about the DIS and nobody contacted us prior to arrival. They couldn't get us any table service reservations that weren't available to me on the phone so why did we pay $$$ for club level?

The snacks and food was nice but we don't drink and weren't around enough for it to make much difference.

I'll never waste money booking club level again.

Martin
That is exactly our experience. From what I've been reading its been declining even since 2012.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Jing
Genius in Training

We booked AKL club mainly for the sunrise safari as well, but since they are discontinuing it, we would not book it again. We are debating club level at Poly or CR next trip October 2015, but since we do our own FPs and ADRs and we are protein people for breakfast, I am continuing to monitor to determine if it will be worth it.

Frankly, the last few club levels I've booked in major cities have been lackluster - I think customer service is taking a dive in general.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Poly club level and the IPO has always been great for us. Give them the restaurants and times and they do the work. On our 180 day they send us an email with our ADRs. Never failed to get them for us. No worrying about getting up at 6:00 am, I just let them do it. They've also taken care of special requests and fixed problems for us.

I'm not sure what the OP wants IPO to do but what they won't do is create your plans for your you have to create your itinerary and send it to the IPO. They will then do the work of making reservations. But you have to do the initial work. Do that and they are great.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

OP, we just stayed BC CL from 8/16/14 - 8/26/14. Our prior experience with CL at Disney was with YC and WL.

I have to say that we were pretty disappointed with BC CL. It looks like your trip is in 3 days, and I'm not sure if you know, but the lounge is under refurb, so it is temporarily in the Presidential Suite. It is kind of cramped in there. It is an odd set up.

I knew that going in, but it was still a pretty disappointing trip...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Also, I don't know how it is structured now, but 4-5 years ago, the IPO offices were grouped. So I think BC/BW/YC shared one IPO office, the Poly & WL shared one IPO staff, I'm not sure about the GF/CR, and the AKL had its own I think. That seemed to make a difference in the pre-trip service you got from what I had read here and people said the Epcot resorts were not so good. But we had great service from the Poly IPO staff. And of course, that is years ago, so it's most likely all different people now.

And the IPO folks are not the same people that work on the club level floor/building at the resort.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Callalily6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
OP, we just stayed BC CL from 8/16/14 - 8/26/14. Our prior experience with CL at Disney was with YC and WL.

I have to say that we were pretty disappointed with BC CL. It looks like your trip is in 3 days, and I'm not sure if you know, but the lounge is under refurb, so it is temporarily in the Presidential Suite. It is kind of cramped in there. It is an odd set up.

I knew that going in, but it was still a pretty disappointing trip...
Yeah, they didn't tell us that when we booked and didn't mention it after either. I called to make sure there wasn't construction going on around us. They swore there wasn't, but the word in here is there is. So I don't know.

It's too late to switch resorts. And I wasn't going to change anything. I'm just wondering if things aren't going the way they should, because it doesn't seem like it.

FYI, I did tell them what we wanted, order of priority, preferred times and dates, etc. I was hoping they'd do the legwork, actually I thought that was one of the perks of club level. I sent them another email. I'm just going with the flow at this point. As long as there aren't construction workers in the next room, I'm fine. It just seems like a rip off, either that or I seriously misunderstood what Disney's club level was offering - which is possible, so I asked.

Tags
concierge, resort, wdw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: