Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
jebns
Earning My Ears

Supposed to leave next week, but sick child, need some help!

Hi all,
We were slated to leave for Disney a week from tomorrow. My six year old has been very ill and hospitalized for almost 2 weeks. She's home now, but almost had her kidneys fail so we are definitely not Disney ready for next week. We have insurance, but we tried to rebook for late October. We were staying at Art of Animation, but AoA doesn't have free dining then so the cost is way up. They said they have availability at Carribean Beach, but I understand it is a huge resort and the bus takes forever? and it's another $300, which we could probably deal with I guess? We don't know if we should proceed through insurance to cancel or what. Totally at a loss. And sooo tired from hospital pull out couches. Any help is really appreciated!
jebns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
amys1978
Earning My Ears

We've stayed at CBR twice and I don't find the bus system to be a problem. While you do drive all the way around the resort, it really only takes a few more minutes, if that. It's a really quiet resort, see if you can get a preferred room or building 45, 46, 47 to be close to Port Royale.

I hope your kid gets better soon. Sorry you and your family have had to deal with that, you've definitely earned a break and I hope it works out so that you can go later in October when your child is well.
amys1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Traceylee
Mouseketeer

That's awful. I hope she feels better soon.
As for CBR, it's a wonderful resort. Very pretty.
It's not all that far of a walk to the pool and food court.
We were in Aruba. Bus stops are at each village so that isn't a problem.
I think you'll enjoy it.

11/02-POFQ * 7/04-Disneyland/PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF

NEXT: AKL/NOV '14
Traceylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

I'm so sorry about your daughter, and I hope she is healed completely. How scary for you. To be honest I'd be wary about rebooking for October unless you are aware of what caused her issues and that it won't happen again. If you have become aware of a chronic issue that she has, you want to be sure she is adjusting well and can handle Disney. Have you talked to her doctor about it?

As for the resort, to be honest, you can have fun no matter where you stay as long as you have the right mindset, so if she is up for it and you really want to go in October, then go and look at the new resort as a new adventure. Art of Animation is a cool looking resort, but Caribbean Beach is in a great location and has a water slide. I don't think you will be disappointed. As for the buses taking forever, people said that about SSR too. I stayed in the tree house villas and everyone said you need a car or you will be on the buses forever. We had no issues at all.

I wish your daughter the best in her recovery.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Dreamsdocometrue9112
"hang onto your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

I just wanted to throw in that I'm sending prayers that your daughter gets better! I can't imagine how scary and exhausting that must be.

As PP said, I would be cautious of aiming for oct based on what her condition sounds like. Maybe check for December? Then you could aim for the holidays as disney? Either way, whatever you chose, if it were me I think I would go with CBR as well.

Dreamsdocometrue9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

I agree with others, maybe look at December? There is a free dining offer in November and December and a room discount offer too.

Hope your daughter is back to normal soon (and you too)

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Harlemgirl720
DIS Veteran

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I agree with other posters. December is a great choice. The theme at Christmas is so beautiful and magical. But if you do decide to do December, don't go the week of Pop Warner. The Value resorts tend to be very crowded. I read its December 7-14 this year. The park crowds aren't bad but many complain of the shenanigans at the hotels. They tend to overflow in one or two of the moderates as well.

Harlemgirl720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
v.t.
DIS Veteran

We have been in that same situation and it is awful, so prayers for your family. Disney was wonderful working with us and ended up refunding the money to us, after sending in doctor's notes. If given the choice I would reschedule, look at the FD offer for Nov or Dec.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: