Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #31
Babsy
DIS Veteran

After asking for his opinion, I would happily stay at Pop! Both resorts are nice in their own way. plan a return trip for POFQ later.

Otherwise, why ask for his opinion? If you go where you want and he is unhappy, will you have a better vacation? If you go to Pop, you will have a happy hubby who will be more inclined to help you plan again in future.

Jmo, of course!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

While I would prefer a Mod over Pop, I have to agree that it's good to let your husband have some aspect of the vacation that he gets "his way." Pop is fun and the food court is decent. After our last stay there, though, my husband said "No more Values," and we were just there for 3 nights.

If I could give you some info about Legoland, let me just say that unless he is a Lego FANATIC, it may not be all that he hopes it will be. The "Miniland" area is very cool with all the mini recreations of landmarks and such. The attractions there, though, are very young-child-oriented. When we went, my then-6-yr-old loved it while my then-9-yr-old thought it was "lame." The rides are very short in duration and tame. The theming is good, but IMO, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it when an extra day at a Disney park is $10 per person.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

You poor thing, this has been so stressful for you

I am going to say for your DH and kids stay at POP. It's not a crazy loud resort. I am going next week (trip 10 to POP) with a request for a lakeview room in the 50's. I never even see other people on that side and I walk out to look at a peaceful lake. And we can see fireworks from there. We practically have bowling pin pool to ourselves. The food court and buses are good, and now we can walk across the bridge and eat at AoA which is great and your kids will love walking around both resorts. Picture opps galore for you at both resorts. They will love it and you will love that they love it! It will be a totally Disney trip!

POFQ is only mod I haven't stayed at so far. I walked all around it last fall and I loved the feel - but I love New Orleans and I think they did a great job. It's really classic NOLA, dark colors, wrought iron but other than the dragon pool area, it's not very kid like. We did visit there with our kids when smaller and we would stay at POR and they never wanted to stay there. I think it's a very mature setting. I think I would love it now without my kids but not when younger, other than pool. It's just not the immersion I want. The food court is just okay (I did eat there last year) - I think lots of folks walk over to eat at POR which is great. The boat to DTD is great but a ride or two, or better yet - thunder/lightning which gets you dropped off at next resort whether yours or not (happened), wears off.

Now if you can hit on a great rate for a POR Royal Room - grab it. Stayed last year and fell in love with it (and we are all adults). It is pretty awesome!
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #34
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
I think it is very important to let your hubby win on something. You said in one of your earlier posts that you were trying to get his input on things and that it is hard to do. Well, he gave you his input, what message does it send to him if he finally tells you what he wants and you ignore it? If he wants to stay at Pop, stay at Pop. Tell him he is right, you got to pick the destination, he should get to pick the resort. Resist the urge to say, "I told you so" if he complains about being in full sized beds for 6 days. Under no circumstances complain about the resort and then do the suffering wife routine where you think you are being subtle about any problems being his fault.

Seriously, (not saying you do this, just that I see women do it all the time so please read this as a general thing) why would a man continue to offer his opinion if his opinion always gets ignored?

Signed,
Very happily married for 15 years to a husband who still thinks I rock.

PS, if you could swing the Universal thing and then the Disney thing I would do it if it is that important to him. Don't worry about having to get somewhere early for an ADR, that is why cabs exist. Plus, no food in Disney is so phenomenal that missing it would be the end of the world. I'm sure there are great restaurants where you live too.

Edited to add: Saw your later post about the cost of Universal and your sleeping arrangements at home. U does add a lot on to the price, so if you are going to skip it I think it is even more important to let him have the resort. Legoland is about 45 minutes away so make sure it is worth the extra traveling time. If you are used to full sized beds that changes a lot. I'm used to a King and going to a full would make me nuts. That extra 6 inches of width and 5 inches of length you get from a Queen is make or break for me.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The reality is that though I "want" to stay at POFQ, what I "should" do is value my husband's opinion and stay at Pop. It won't kill us, I'm sure we'll have a good time there with our girls, and we may not be at the resort much anyhow. I will try my best not to do an "I told you so" if the beds end up being too uncomfortable. . I liked someone's idea of staying at POFQ and visiting Pop, and it made me think, we could just as easily stay at Pop and visit POFQ. I would much rather go to lunch or dinner over there anyhow, so it would make more sense to visit POFQ. And if I really like it, and we like staying onsite, then maybe that can be for a next trip.
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #35
Overexcited
DIS Veteran

We prefer POP! Kids love it
2010 POP plus multiple childhood trips

2013 CBR
2015 ???? Where to stay next?
Overexcited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #36
tsme
DIS Veteran

Remind him of the old saying "when Mama's happy, everybody's happy"!
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #37
Eddy
Mouseketeer

$200 differance?

How did you get only $200 difference for 6 nights? The difference in price is about $90 a night
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #38
TrixyA
Mouseketeer

With two kids in the same room, I would try to convince DH to go to FQ. More space, bigger beds, and the curtain between the sinks and bedroom area really helps with modesty issues when everyone is trying to get dressed.

Splitting between two resorts would work, but it is kind of a pain to pack up in the middle of your vacation.

January, 1997 ~ All Star Music | December, 2000 ~ Coronado Springs
June, 2001 ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins
January, 2003 ~ Contemporary / FtW-Cabins
December, 2003 ~ Contemporary | December 2004 ~ The Swan
October, 2005 (Hurricane Wilma!) ~ PO French Quarter
January, 2006 ~ Contemporary | May, 2006 ~ Beach Club/The Swan
July, 2006 ~ Yacht Club | December, 2006 ~ The Dolphin
July, 2007 ~ PO French Quarter
July, 2008 ~ Contemporary (upgraded from PO Riverside!)
January, 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge | July, 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club
October 2012 ~ PO Riverside | January 2013 ~ PO Riverside
September 2013 ~ Pop Century
TrixyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #39
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How did you get only $200 difference for 6 nights? The difference in price is about $90 a night
I got my quotes through AAA, and I have no idea if one resort is more discounted than the other. I was also comparing a Pop preferred room to a POFQ standard room. The exact difference in the prices I was quoted, including 4 day tickets and the dining plan, was $215 for the 6 nights. I assume the preferred vs. standard and difference in AAA discounting may have had something to do with it.

ETA: I am also looking at a late June stay for next year, don't know if that makes a difference either.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #40
Chott
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva78 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. The reality is that though I "want" to stay at POFQ, what I "should" do is value my husband's opinion and stay at Pop. It won't kill us, I'm sure we'll have a good time there with our girls, and we may not be at the resort much anyhow. I will try my best not to do an "I told you so" if the beds end up being too uncomfortable. . I liked someone's idea of staying at POFQ and visiting Pop, and it made me think, we could just as easily stay at Pop and visit POFQ. I would much rather go to lunch or dinner over there anyhow, so it would make more sense to visit POFQ. And if I really like it, and we like staying onsite, then maybe that can be for a next trip.
I plan all of our Disney trips now and can't get my wife involved in the planning no matter how hard I try. We have done Pop three times and I love it but I would jump at POFQ for $200 more just for the Queen beds. On the other hand, I get how your husband feels, even though I would chose differently. If you don't let him pick the resort at least, I suspect he is going to feel like it's not really "his" vacation at all. Plus, you will save money at Pop!!!

FYI, I would not split the stay. Pain in the rump IMHO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsme View Post
Remind him of the old saying "when Mama's happy, everybody's happy"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Ditto?

Last edited by Chott; 09-05-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Addition
Chott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #41
married2mm
DIS Veteran

I would stay at pop,even though we've just returned from pofq and absolutely loved it.

For your first trip,I see no problem in staying at a value-pop or aoa and visiting pofq one day during your trip.

If you plan on returning in the future,and it sounds like you do,go for pofq next time.

My dh has no input whatsoever into our plans,apart from providing the dollars to fund my obsession,lol!
He's a wonderful easy going man (most of the time!) And simply humors me.

He has however,requested a trip to universal for possibly the last 4 years-just when we can fit it in (I tried never)
And this year,after 10 total Disney vacations,we finally dipped our toes into the dark side...

Whilst I'm happy to have seen Harry potter,Simpson's,sponge Bob and I actually really enjoyed transformers-me and the kids are in no hurry to return.

And certainly would not go without staying at a universal hotel for a night,for the 2 days early entry benefits and express line-the lines were enormous for some attractions,not my idea of fun,at all!

Anyway,I've waffled on-wdw is simply magical-whether for 6 nights or 16,there is loads to do and see,no need for any extra "outside" parks.
A little compromise will go a long way,and you'll all have a fantastic time.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #42
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva78 View Post

Exactly. We stayed at the BC last year and visited POFQ. I would stay at POP, and I would not do a split stay for 6 days. I would not man any offsite trips on a first WDW trip either. The WDW resort is huge, there is a lot to do, so adding expenses for more does not make sense to me. My dh wanted to visit while on our first trip back, but he did not realize how hard that would be until he got there.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #43
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56

Exactly. We stayed at the BC last year and visited POFQ. I would stay at POP, and I would not do a split stay for 6 days. I would not man any offsite trips on a first WDW trip either. The WDW resort is huge, there is a lot to do, so adding expenses for more does not make sense to me. My dh wanted to visit while on our first trip back, but he did not realize how hard that would be until he got there.
Great advice!
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #44
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

I'll throw in here.... I personally would do what my wife wanted...especially if its an up graded resort...

We have stayed at Pop once to ride put hurricane Wilma after spending 9 nights at the Poly... Amtrak was shut down for 3 days and we moved to Pop Till they got up and running...

Pop was just ok, not someplace I would want to base my Disney vacation out of... Worse were the beds, everything and everyone rolled to the center...

POFQ has become our go to resort... After 46 trips to deluxes, POFQ has won us over on price, just can't take the price increases and low discounts at the deluxe resorts anymore...

POFQ has some fantastic food court meals and being sisters to POR, we have access in walking distance to their food and pool... Plus the boat to DTD is like an attraction all in its own...

I'd pop for the moderate if given the choice, money well spent..!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #45
minerva78
Mouseketeer

I finally made a decision. I got so desperate for an answer last night I told DH to flip a coin, and that we'd go wherever it landed. It landed on POFQ. I still didn't feel good about it, but DH said I should go with the coin. Somehow we started talking about Star Wars and he looked up some info about Star Wars stuff at Disney. Then he told me that I could stay wherever I wanted, as long as he got to make a light saber and build a droid, lol. So I was back at square one. Then the answer finally hit me: we should stay at Pop.

I realized that what DH wanted most was to go to HS and DTD (which I had already planned to do) and get Star Wars stuff. With the way he is talking, I need to stay in a cheaper resort just to make up for our souvenirs budget getting bigger! But I also realized that even though POFQ may be nicer, this is our first trip, we'll likely spend most of our time in the parks, and how will I know if a queen bed is worth an extra $200 unless I experience it first hand? I'm sure it won't make or break my vacation, since I have nothing to coompare it to. We can always upgrade next time, since I don't intend for this to be our only Disney trip. DH and I have been on several vacations by ourselves, this is the first one for our kids, and I think Pop just seems to appeal to kids more. The dedicated bus service seems nice too. So I would have something for myself, I figured that with the money we are saving, maybe I could schedule the girls into one of the kids clubs for a few hours one evening so DH and I can go out for some alone time. I think everyone would be happy with that!

I feel happy with my decision and hopefully I'll get a chance to book it with AAA today. So if I start changing my mind again, anyone is welcome to come find me and beat me with a stick.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: