Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
minerva78
Mouseketeer

I want one resort, husband wants another

I want to thank all of you who have read and responded to my insanity of trying to decide on where to stay for our first Disney trip. Now that we have finally decided to stay onsite (yay!) and do a package, my last dilemma is choosing whether or not to stay at Pop Century or POFQ. I showed my husband pictures of both last night, and he fell in love with Pop because of the huge big wheel. But the more I was going over the pros and cons of each resort with him, I was really feeling POFQ more. It's not as over the top fun looking, but I like the idea of queen beds, a boat ride to DTD, a coffee maker, and I like their food court menu so much better than Pop's new menu. I figure, if we're going to spending most of our days in the parks, do we really need to come home to a resort that looks so busy and lively too? I also found a lot of fun activities that go on at POR that we could participate in too. But we will have our 5 and 6 year old girls with us, and I think they would get a kick out of the themes at Pop. And POFQ is $200 more for 6 nights. I just don't know if I want the double bed and the smaller room of Pop, for my own comfort, which sounds a bit selfish.

I know at the end of the day DH will let me choose what I want, but I don't know if I would feel bad for going against his wants, when I tried so hard to get him to actually give me an opinion on something. I don't know if I should try to convince him of the benefits of POFQ or just give in to his desire to stay at Pop. I really would love to stay in one of the Royal rooms at POR, because I know my girls would love that, but I'll have to wait and see how good of a discount AAA could give me because rack rate prices are a bit out of my budget. Anyone dealt with this before and how did you handle it? Or any insight into which resort you would choose and why?
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

For only $200 more, i'd go for POFQ!! Would a hot tub sway him in your direction? Pop doesnt have any hot tubs. Honestly, if he really wants to see the big wheel, then go over and take a tour. Lol. Better yet, why not do a one night stay at pop for kicks? We did that many times. Thats a nice compromise.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

I would consider a split. Two nights at POP and the rest at POFQ. That way you get to experience both resorts and will know better for a hopefully future trip! Now if you can get a good discount on the royal rooms at PoR then I would go with that!
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
souris
Mouseketeer

I understand completely! My husband have been in that situation before.. I wanted a mod and he wanted a value. I find lists help! I made a list of pros and cons and ultimately let him make the decision. He lets me plan everything else, I chose all the restaurants, plan out which park on which day... I find it's a good compromise. Like you we spend little time at the resort... So in the end, which resort we stay in is not that big of an issue. Good luck!

Disneyland Paris
1997, 2008
souris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
disneemama
Mouseketeer

talk him into POFQ..he will love it. I have stayed at both many times. Pop is fun but given the choice POFQ is so much nicer. I agree with pp a split stay is a good idea if you don't mind moving.

disneemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Traceylee
Earning My Ears

For $200 more, I would pick POFQ.

11/02-POFQ * 7/04-Disneyland/PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF

NEXT: AKL/NOV '14
Traceylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I said this in your other thread,POFQ Just tell him those rooms were available,so you booked them! Truly,it's so pretty there, your family will love it!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Yeah, a hot tub won't persuade him unfortunately, I already tried that. He thought I was insane for getting in the hot tub on our cruise we took in July - although he still got in there with me, for a short time.

I'm not sure about the split stay. I'd have to figure out how to make it work with the dining plan, because we both want to do the dining plan. I suppose I could do multiple days at POFQ initially, and then do the last day or two at Pop, although I would prefer to do Pop first. I don't know, I'll have to think about that a little.

I like the idea of making a pro and con list. I went over these with DH last night, but I think it would be good to put something down on paper, for both of us. You do make a good point though that I will be doing all of the planning for everything else, maybe it would be nice for him to make the decision about the resort, so he will at least feel more included in everything. My goal is to try to plan out at much as possible for this trip, so if he has to put up with my obsessiveness, he should get one thing he wants, lol.
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

I definitely agree with everyone, do a split stay! You said this is your first trip, so just as a brief overview to help you make the decision, Disney is pretty good when it comes to helping you switch resorts.

My first tip, is to do just a night or 2 at POP when you arrive (better to go UP in resort level so there is excitement for the amenities/pool/etc). Also, if you can, just leave your things in your suitcases instead of fully unpacking for the first stop.

For a package, book your room and tickets at POP. Then do a room only discount for POFQ. Either order tickets at POP for the full length of stay, or buy 3 days and upgrade them at guest relations after you enter a park. But note, this is if you are not getting a dining plan. Someone else will probably know more about how it works with the plan.

On moving day, drop your bags at luggage services at the front of the resort. At POP it is near the bus station. You can go off to the park, and disney will transfer your bags later that day to POFQ. When you leave the parks, take a bus back to POFQ and call for your luggage.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
FFEMT510
Earning My Ears

I stayed at both back to back years. I felt Pop was much more immersive, which was great because it was my first trip back in years. Last year, we stayed at POFQ and while I didn't feel like I was still at a park, I enjoyed it none the less. The boat ride is fun too. I believe that POFQ had two sinks, whereas Pop has just one--may make a difference when trying to get 4 people ready or a day out.

I'm staying at another moderate (CSR) this year--I don't mind paying a little more for the more refined experience.

'99, '01, '11, '12, '13
FFEMT510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both and would continue to choose pop over a mod. I never noticed the differences in beds or food/amenities. If however you plan to spend more time at your resort, then POFQ might really be your better bet. Since it is only a $200 difference, it could be worth the splurge. All resorts are fun in their own ways so no matter what you end up choosing, it will be amazing.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I wouldn't do a split stay for 6 nights....too much time wasted packing up ,etc. And the reason people advise to move UP in resorts...i.e. stay Pop first,then POFQ is b/c POFQ is NICER....and it's a disappointment to go 'down' in quality on the trip,vs. going up. I agree, if you do split, move UP over the week,not down. But for OP, I'd just stay at the nicer place- 6 days is not a lot of time.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We love POP.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

I'm of the opinion that for a first trip with kids a split stay would be a pain in the butt. Just MY opinion.

How do ya'll usually come up with a solution when you aren't in complete agreement?

I'd make a pros and cons list and sit down and try to come up with something together.

One thing is for sure though, there is no wrong decision here.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

I think we were writing our posts at the same time...lol. I see now that you want the dining plan which makes splits tricky. In that case I would say either do POFQ and then POP your last night and pay out of pocket for that day. Or, you could do POP on just arrival night. There is a way to pick up tickets from a package early at guest relations at the parks. But again, the DP is tied to the room, not the tickets. So still at least one out of pocket day either way.

Another option could be to do POFQ, and one afternoon take a break from the parks and ride the bus to POP. You could walk around the grounds, take a pic with the giant big wheel, and eat in the POP cafeteria. Then just take the bus back to a park.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: