Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran
 
tiger4me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
For the record, no, I don't think it's OK for kids (or adults) to pee in pools.

But I also would never talk that way to someone else's child. If I were that bothered by it, I would have said something to the parent or grandparent, quietly, and without embarrassing the child.

I personally don't find it laudable to publicly humiliate a small child, but again, JMO.
Find but would you not say something to kid that could get hit by a car or something because you wouldn't want to tell the kid not to move etc? Everyone has their reasons to say something. I don't think the op was humiliate the child just correcting him. If no one say anything the child thinks it is okay to do anything he want. MHO as well I just express how I feel like everyone else did..
tiger4me2 is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #32
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger4me2 View Post
Find but would you not say something to kid that could get hit by a car or something because you wouldn't want to tell the kid not to move etc? Everyone has their reasons to say something. I don't think the op was humiliate the child just correcting him. If no one say anything the child thinks it is okay to do anything he want. MHO as well I just express how I feel like everyone else did..
Saying something to someone else's child to prevent injury or death is one thing, and can't be compared to correcting the behavior of someone else's child just to embarrass them.

Bottom line, it isn't up to me to correct someone else's child just because I don't like the behavior, nor is it up to someone else to correct my child's behavior.
OurBigTrip is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #33
Rosanne
DIS Veteran
 
Rosanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
Saying something to someone else's child to prevent injury or death is one thing, and can't be compared to correcting the behavior of someone else's child just to embarrass them.

Bottom line, it isn't up to me to correct someone else's child just because I don't like the behavior, nor is it up to someone else to correct my child's behavior.
Well, if someone else's child pees in their own personal pool I would not correct their behavior. If they have just proudly announced that they have peed in the shared pool where my body is and the parent is giving it the green light then what the OP did is perfectly reasonable.

Really. Who "likes" the behavior of someone intentionally and proudly peeing in a public pool? Realizing it happens isn't the same thing as thinking it should happen. Gross.
Rosanne is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #34
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Well, if someone else's child pees in their own personal pool I would not correct their behavior. If they have just proudly announced that they have peed in the shared pool where my body is and the parent is giving it the green light then what the OP did is perfectly reasonable.

Really. Who "likes" the behavior of someone intentionally and proudly peeing in a public pool? Realizing it happens isn't the same thing as thinking it should happen. Gross.
As I said previously, if you don't like something my child is doing, you should absolutely bring it to my attention. What you shouldn't do is correct my child, since doing so is way out of line, IMO.

I think that a 4 or 5 year old that is crying and wailing because they lost their lovey is over the top obnoxious, so when I see that behavior, is it OK for me to "correct" that child? Obviously not. Same situation here.
OurBigTrip is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #35
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,633

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
As I said previously, if you don't like something my child is doing, you should absolutely bring it to my attention. What you shouldn't do is correct my child, since doing so is way out of line, IMO.

I think that a 4 or 5 year old that is crying and wailing because they lost their lovey is over the top obnoxious, so when I see that behavior, is it OK for me to "correct" that child? Obviously not. Same situation here.
I don't think it is the same situation at all! Someone crying because they lost their toy is understandable, and has no real physical affect on anyone else. Some peeing in the pool is not acceptable, and does physically affect everyone else in that pool.

And in case you missed it, the parent seemed to think peeing in the pool was just fine and dandy! There was no help to be had by going that route.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #36
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I don't think it is the same situation at all! Someone crying because they lost their toy is understandable, and has no real physical affect on anyone else. Some peeing in the pool is not acceptable, and does physically affect everyone else in that pool.

And in case you missed it, the parent seemed to think peeing in the pool was just fine and dandy! There was no help to be had by going that route.


Peeing in the pool, while gross, doesn't physically affect anyone. If it did, we would all be dead by now.

My point is, that IMO, no one has the right to correct someone else's child just because they don't like the behavior. Crying over a stuffed animal, throwing a tantrum because mom won't buy the candy you want, running around the restaurant like a wild animal, throwing food, peeing in the pool - all obnoxious. But none of it gives me the right to correct the child exhibiting those behaviors.
OurBigTrip is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran
 
jimmysmom74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 994

My DS is the exact opposite. We were in a lake swimming at a sandbar, when the urge came to go. He said, we have to go back to the house, I have to pee. My cousin told him you can just go in the water, it's a lake. My DS was like, That is disgusting, I'm not swimming in a toilet!!! My nephew said, we do it all the time. My DS said, you all are yucky, I'll hold it till we get back to the house. Moral of my story, we are there in Nov, and DS(6) will definitely not be peeing in the pool.
__________________
me, DH, DS(6)
OCT 2001-AKL / OCT 2002-engaged at AKL / OCT 2006-AKL
DEC 2008-DS first trip-GF / MAY 2010-GPs, AKL / OCT 2011-Poly / NOV 2012-DL with cousins/ NOV 2013 CSR with GPs/ SpringBreak 2014-CR, RoadTrip June 2014 BC and RPR at UO
jimmysmom74 is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #38
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery
 
mefordis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a good place.
Posts: 4,838

Anyone ever been on a cruise ship and notice about 10 adults in the hot tub, all day long. They never seem to leave because they are afraid of losing their spot. I wonder what that water is like.
__________________



Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #39
alc571
DIS Veteran
 
alc571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
By the end of the day that pool has more pee in it than water. Judging by how few people take a real shower before getting into the pool I would gues that whatever part of that pool isn't filled with pee is filled with sweat (used gatorade is a fair term for both elements).

That said, it's a behavioral issue. My favorite approach is to put on my best Foster Brooks impression and stagger up to the parent, then suggest to them that nobody would think it was cute if I peed in the pool so ... how about a little fair play here.
This is why we all shower when we get out of the pool! LOL

OP, I think you handled it well. I wouldn't have been so quiet when I heard him proclaim it the first time.
__________________
Me DH DS8
'82 Offsite; '85 FW; '87,'98 (DL), '99, '04 & '09 Offsite; '12 POR; '13 POR; '13 (DL); '14 AKL; '14 POR/Offsite; '15 POR
alc571 is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #40
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
Peeing in the pool, while gross, doesn't physically affect anyone. If it did, we would all be dead by now.

My point is, that IMO, no one has the right to correct someone else's child just because they don't like the behavior. Crying over a stuffed animal, throwing a tantrum because mom won't buy the candy you want, running around the restaurant like a wild animal, throwing food, peeing in the pool - all obnoxious. But none of it gives me the right to correct the child exhibiting those behaviors.
Just so you know, I wouldn't say something to the child, I would absolutely correct the clueless parents allowing it.
__________________
Jennasis is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #41
trishadono
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,919

Ya know I was one of the first to respond but I missed a biggie.

5 year olds should NOT be up and swimming at 10:30!!!

Even on vacation I always followed an age appropriate bed time. These clueless parents are just that... Clueless.
__________________

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
trishadono is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #42
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran
 
tiger4me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,062

We all have our views of what is right and what is wrong. And I am rather tired of people picking on people' s comments.

You might think it wrong to correct others people's kids but when I pull them over because of spending or seeing them take a leak on the side of the road which is illegal in the state of Virginia. And yes I am a police officer so if I have to make them squirm so be it. And you have the parents coming to cour saying my son or daughter would not take a leak on the side of street. This officer is just picking on my child. Duh I have you on camera smile !

Every one has the right to agree or disagree. Not be critized on their views.

Again my views. That it folks for me with this topic as it has gotten out of hand. MHO
tiger4me2 is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #43
HMANSION LOVER
PIN TRADER
 
HMANSION LOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: long Island, NY
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
Last week: 10:15pm, and I am taking an evening dip in the BVC leisure pool, when the evening's peace comes to an end because Stormalong Bay has closed and the families come charging in to the open pool.

One familiy comes through the BVC lobby doors, their kids bursting ahead who come running up and leap into the pool. Yes, yes, I try not to be annoyed at this even though I taught my daughter to (a) never run by a pool and (b) never jump and splash other people especially those who are not your own family.

But then, to my utter astonishment, a 5 year old wearing swimmies is the last to jump in, and upon landing in the water, gets a glassy eyed look and mutters "I'm pee-ing..."

I shake the water out of my ears. Is that what I heard? Then he swims up to his sister, and informs her "I peed!" I start backing to the stairs.

A minute later, he swims up to his (dad?) and PROUDLY informs him he peed in the pool, and he gets a laugh and positive reinforcement for his "naughty deed."

I retreat to the hot tub in disgust. Along with another adult who apparently heard it also.

I start thinking about what's sure to be next.. and rehearsing in my mind... and sure enough, 15 minutes later, that 5 year old climbs out of the pool and starts charging toward the hot tub with (grandpa?) behind him.

"HOLD UP THERE" I say loud enough to get his attention and pointing to him. "I HEARD YOU SAY YOU PEED IN THE POOL. THERE IS NO PEEING IN THIS POOL. IT IS NOT ALLOWED." I am referring to the hot tub of course.

Grandpa catches up. "Is that true?" he asks the kid. Kid shakes head. I add "I heard you say it THREE TIMES." The other adult kicks in - "I heard it too" she says. I am glad she backs me up, because I was expecting a fight.

Kid starts crying. Grandpa says "I am sure it's a mistake" and they both walk back to their table and chairs. A few minutes later, to his credit, he comes back and apologizes for the 5 year old's behavior.

I hate to be the killjoy, but once I was at Boardwalk when they had to close the main pool for 24 hours covering prime time of two days because of a kid who was not potty trained. And frankly, I find peeing in the pool disgusting, even though it is probably not a sanitary danger.

Do families really condone this? Or would you have spoken up too?
I am so sick and tired of kids in the hot tubs. I'm sure I will get shredded for posting this but let's face it. Hot tubs are for the adults that have spent a long day walking in the parks and not for children who think it is fun. I can't even remember the number of times I was enjoying a nice soak in the hot tub, cold drink in hand, while my children were in the pool, enjoying quite time destroyed by a bunch of children who should not even be in a hot tub based on their age (medical professionals all agree hot tubs are not a good place for young children). Again, another case of lack of parental supervision.
__________________

Me DW:: DS15 DD:: 10
1999 WDW Music
2000 WDW Off property
2004 WDW Off property
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2011 WDW Boardwalk Villas
2013 DLR PPH and DLH
HMANSION LOVER is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #44
holden
DIS Veteran
 
holden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,078

I think the way the OP handled it was spot on. Peeing in the pool is gross!

I'll never forget the couple that brought their 9mo daughter into a hot tub on a cruise ship. She had a diaper on. The crew member told them that children in diapers were not allowed in the hot tub (i.e. non-potty trained kids are not allowed), so after he walked away they removed the diaper and put her back in! I showed my kids and said, "That's why we don't go in the hot tub on the ship"...although my reasons for avoiding the hot tub involve adults.

It's hard to avoid pee in the pool, but it is sterile. Kids are kids, and some will pee in the pool. I stay far away from the hot tubs at hotels and cruise ships. I don't want to know what's in those
__________________
Me - 44
DH - 45
DD - 11
DD - 7
holden is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #45
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Just so you know, I wouldn't say something to the child, I would absolutely correct the clueless parents allowing it.
Agree 100%, so would I.
OurBigTrip is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.