Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry for what happened. Thank goodness you and your kids are okay (physically...emotionally I'm sure is a different story). You all NEED this trip, and you WILL have a magical time. Guaranteed!

You can easily spend less than $400 for you & the kids on food at Disney/Universal. That shouldn't be a problem at all, and you should still be able to do at least 1 table service meal.

I'm currently food budgeting a trip for my husband and me (2 Adults) which isn't until next year and here are some examples of what our daily food bill will look like...keep in mind, this is 2 Adults no kids. You will be 1 Adult 2 Kids so your cost will be about the same if not less money if they eat kid's meals.

Breakfast: Resort CS - 1 Kid Platter ($5.99), 1 Bounty Platter ($8.79)
Lunch: Flame Tree BBQ - Chicken Salad ($8.99), Chicken & Ribs ($11.99), 1 Soda to share ($2.59)
Dinner: Yak & Yeti - Shaoxing Steak & Shrimp to share ($26.99), Dim Sum Basket App to share ($13.99), 2 Sodas ($3ea), Fried Wontons Dessert to share ($8.99)

Total cost with tax (6.5%)= $100.45
------
Breakfast: 1 Kid Platter ($5.99), 1 Breakfast Sandwich ($5.99)
Lunch (Late): Liberty Tree Tavern - Colony Salad ($14.49), Pot Roast ($18.99), 2 Sodas ($3ea)
Snack: Cream Cheese Pretzel ($4.99)

Total cost with tax = $59.59
------
Breakfast: 2 Yogurt Parfaits ($4.29ea)
Lunch: Be our Guest - Croque Monsieur to share ($11.19), Potato Leek Soup to share ($4.79)
Dinner (Early): Kona Cafe - Teriyaki Strip Steak ($28.99), Pan Roasted Chicken ($16.99), 2 Sodas ($3ea)

Total cost with tax = $76.54
------

So, there are 3 examples of being able to have 1 TS meal each day. Portions are HUGE at Disney World, and even as adults we cannot eat 3 full meals per day. The smartest tips I have are to fill up at breakfast by getting the Kid's Platters which usually have eggs, bacon/sausage, breakfast potatoes, and I think a small Mickey waffle. Breakfast is the cheapest meal of the day although breakfast buffets are pretty expensive. Buffets would not be a smart use of money for your kids most likely since they can't eat that much. Another tip is to take advantage of them eating kid's meals if they like the options. At counter service locations you can get a kid's meal also if it appeals to you. If you want to treat yourselves and get soda, at counter service locations just buy one and share it! Budget for maybe 1-2 snacks per day to share amongst all three of you. The snacks/desserts are all oversized and are definitely big enough to share.

If you'd like more personal help planning menus & restaurants with your budget, let me know and I'd be happy to help plan specifics for your family w/ the appropriate costs of everything. If you want to do it yourself, visit Allears.net and you can look up current menus & prices of all of the restaurants. You can easily eat comfortably on $400, no problem!

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

If anyone needs a Disney escape it is you and your children. Not letting people like that take too much away from you is one way of surviving situations like this. 400 is plenty for 3 days I have taken my family of 5 for that on a longer stay. Just a few tips, your resort probably has refrigerators, do breakfast in the room, amazing what that will save. If you REALLY want one sit down, I would suggest lunch at be our guest in the magic kingdom. They do bring the food and serve at your table and the ambience is great. Prices for lunch are much reduced, you can look the menu up online. And do prosecute this jerk.

Drew

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
dsanner106 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Zim
Meow meow

The time away will do you all good. My aunt went through a similar scenario - separated from her 2nd husband for 6 months with a court order to stay away - he shows up in her house when she was on a first date with a friend. Literally talking at the kitchen table, kids in bed, he shows up, shoots the guy (friend survived) and pistol whips her. I think her kids could have used an escape to Disney after all that.

Some suggestions -

Can you see if you can downgrade to a value resort like AoA or POP for that first night?

Buy "souvenirs" before you leave - JoAnn Fabrics has fantastic Disney trinkets just before the registers, Target and WalMart have lots of Disney tshirts and pjs and check out their clearance aisle. I found some great Cars toys clearance priced there for our stay at AoA in the Cars Suite! Party City also has great Disney stuff - I'm getting my DDs bday banner there.

Split counter service meals with the kids. The meals go a long way, even when we had free dining we'd often split a meal late morning and early evening and it was more than enough.

You can get through the cruise, especially the shorter ones without spending much at all and if you have onboard credit for tips, skip bingo and don't drink, you may not spend anything. Just stay on the boat when docking at Nassau (or wherever you're docking for excursions) - there is just as much to do on the boat and it's much less crowded at those times.

I noticed you're doing 2-days at Universal. So one Disney day and two Universal after the cruise? If you have AAA use it in Universal for discounts on food - they won't ask but if you tell them you get a discount at most places. There is a burger king if I recall correctly and some other restaurants just outside the parks in the lake area where you might get less expensive meals too.

Good luck, be strong for your kids and remember it doesn't take a lot of extra "stuff" to make Universal / Disney magical for kids. Just being there is often enough.

Last edited by Zim; 09-04-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

I am so sorry you are going through this. That being said, this guy has taken enough from you. Do not allow him to take any more...EVER. Don't let him take away the chance to make precious memories with your beautiful children.

The only thing he deserves is to be prosecuted and punished to the full extent of the law.

You, however, DESERVE to enjoy your life with your children and celebrate all the hard work you have done to make this trip happen.

You will never regret taking this time with your kids, but you might regret not doing it.

I say....put on some music, dance with your kids and start packing! You are going to Disney World!

Wishing you all the very best!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Get a restraining order on him immediately.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Sample Magic Kingdom Menus for you:

Here is a possible scenario for your family for your day in Magic Kingdom which includes a TS dinner:

Example [Breakfast, Lunch, TS Dinner & 2 Snacks]
Breakfast: Riverside Mill Foodcourt (POR)- Kid's Breakfast Platter ($4.99), Kid's French Toast Meal ($4.99), Adult Breakfast Platter ($6.79)
Lunch: Kid's Mrs. Pott's Platter ($8.49), Kid's Les Macaronis Maurice ($6.99), Adult Carved Prime Chuck Roast Beef Sandwich ($12.19), 1 Soda ($3) {Kid's meals each come with beverage AND dessert cupcake}
Dinner: The Plaza - Kid's Cheeseburger Meal ($8.59), Kid's Grilled Chicken Strips Meal ($8.59), Adult Angus Chuck Cheeseburger ($13.99), 1 Soda ($3) {Kid's Meals each come with beverage AND dessert}
Snacks: Aloha Isle Dole Whip Float to share ($4.99), Lunching Pad Mickey Pretzel ($4.29)

Total w/ tax = $96.80

The Plaza is one of the least expensive TS restaurants which is why I picked it specifically. You could potentially do a huge TS breakfast character meal (pricey), skip lunch, then do a CS dinner with maybe 1 snack in between meals but if the goal is to save as much money as possible, I would stick to mostly CS locations with 1 or no TS meals per day.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #22
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

this is a sad story, please,please, whatever happens, stay away from this person from now on, you must protect yourself and your kids,and he has shown you who he truly is. Take care of YOURSELF. ALso, b/c it's so close, just go on your trip, and be with your kids. I would advise NO character meals or table service at the parks, just eat at all the wonderful TS options on that cruise, then let the kids know when you're at the parks that you will be eating more simply,still yummy, but simpler. You can get great cs choices, and snacks and desserts everywhere, you can share a cs meal a lot of times b/c they're pretty large,and then as you're wandering around later, grab a fun dessert,and everyone shares a bite, so you all get to try fun stuff without breaking the bank. ALso I'd call Disney,and see if you can switch your resort to a value instead of a Mod,like Pop,which gives you more pocket money.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
JillianMarie
Mouseketeer

1. This is TOTALLY DOABLE on your budget. You'll be just fine. You might not be getting dessert and soda with every meal, but you'll be completely fine. Plus those meals are huge, there's nothing wrong with sharing. In a lot of cases it's preferable.

2. Please talk to the police about your plans to go out of town. I don't really know exactly how these things work, but if there is a pending restraining order (and there should be) or arrest you might be advised not to leave the state. I'm not saying cancel your trip without cause, but if the authorities need you to be around, I personally think that putting this dirtbag behind bars is more important than a Disney trip every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
JillianMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

1) Contact a Domestic Violence shelter, they can put you up some place safe for a few days.
2) Go right to the Court first thing in the morning and file a DV Protection Order/Civil Stalking Protection Order...while it is just a piece of paper, it protects you so he cannot legally come back into the residence.
3) Instead of Cash, do Target Gift Cards. Get the Target Debit Card, and use it to purchase Disney Gift Cards. That $600, would only be $570..., there by giving $630...., $500 would be $475, if you went for less in gift cards. They can be used to pay for stuff you charge on the cruise and in the parks....
4) Keep copies of your receipts from everything..if he is found and charged, he could be forced to pay you back as part of his sentence...

And go to Disney!!!!!
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I know you need a vacation, but you need to take care of the issue with this man. He can't hide forever. I do think you need to talk to your children about what they saw. You may go on vacation but you are coming back to face it when you return. He needs to be dealt with now.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Another way to help save money... Since you are staying offsite is your hotel close to a grocery store or a drug store? You can go there and buy bottled water or pop which ever your family drinks and take them into the park with you. You can take drinks as long as its not in a glass bottle, into the parks.

You can also take your own snacks. I would pack some in your luggage. For example a snack bag of pretzels at Disney will cost you $3.99 but the same one you can pick up and bring with you will cost .99 cents. My DH about died when I showed him the bag I brought from home with the price printed on it and we compared it to the one Disney was selling which was the same size bag as mine, same company yet the price $3.99! Trail mix is another good snack to pack. I buy the big bag WalMart brand trail mix and pack some ziplock bags.

That should help save some $$$$$.

What hotel are you staying at after the cruise?

Why not switch from staying at POR before your cruise, to staying at a Disney value resort. You could save some money by doing this.

QS is budget friendly and you don't have to eat just burgers. QS at POR has pasta, salad, fish sticks. QS at AOA has build your own pasta and salad option. And the burgers there are great. At DTD you can get a Wetzel Pretzel dog for $2.99 and is very filling and if you take your own drink and you have a cheap lunch option.
** At the Animal Kingdom park FlameTree BBQ is a QS location with very affordable meals. We like eating there. Take a look http://allears.net/menu/menu_ftb.htm

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 09-04-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

So sorry,

I wouldn't worry about buying stuff. The kids get to trick or treat at the Halloween party and will get enough "junke" you probably normally wouldn't buy them to make it fun!

I agree with others to just stick to Counter Service and you should be fine.

Also don't rule out sharing meals. I don't know about Universal, but there are some meals at Disney that a couple of you could share without too much trouble.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #28
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Go, you have enough money. Immerse yourself into the experience and forget your reality for a few days. The cruise will require very little money. You will not need any food that isn't included on a Disney cruise!
After the cruise your kids will not care about sit down food and will want to do all the things the parks have to offer. Counter service will allow for this very easily.
I hope that you are able to heal both mentally and physically from this horrible event.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #29
cheshireqt
DIS Veteran

Go, and have a good time with your children. $400 is doable, can you pack some oatmeal packets and snackbars for breakfast for land portion?
One suggestion, put anything valuable or sentimental at a friends house, just in case.

AKL 8/2006, POFQ 9/2007, Universal-RPR 2/2009, :CBR 8/2009-4 generation GRANDGATHERING, Universal-HRH 8/2011
cheshireqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

What's your normal spending budget for a week at home? For groceries, gas, eating out, parking/tolls, anything else you normally pay that you WON'T spend the week you're gone? I would think you could add that into your budget, so you'd have a little cushion (even if you'd have to put a bit on a credit card and pay off with your next check). You probably won't even need it, but I know it would make me feel better to have it for emergencies.

I hope your trip is full of pixie dust and healing for your family!
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: