Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Looking for Poly Alternatives... Beach Club & CR Garden Wing Pros & Cons??

My mom and I (just us, no kids) have tentatively booked the Poly (a CRAZY amount of money but at the moment its giving us something to dream about. if we stay here we'd probably change reservation to a standard room haha) for the first week of November, 2014. JUST in case it turns out to be a crazy construction zone with ruined views I am choosing alternative hotels.

I would not mind the Contemporary - possibly a garden wing - to stay on the monorail line but Mom is not crazy about the theming of this hotel (the colors, the cement vs lush gardens, etc.). but she does like the fact that it's on the monorail line.

I am also considering the Beach Club. We have been thru the lobby a number of times to call a cab after Illuminations and think it is a BEAUTIFUL resort with wonderful proximity to Epcot. We do plan on hitting the F&W Fest more than once on that trip. I am just unsure about this hotel for a few reasons. 1) Bus service is shared with many other hotels it seems and we would be taking the bus to the MK. 2) Renting points would be more affordable but a studio room would necessitate me sleeping on a pull out sofa so Im risking a week of painful sleeping depending on the pull out.

What are the Pros & Cons of the Beach Club for those of you that have stayed there.

And what are the Pros & Cons to the Garden Wing of the Contemporary??

Thanks so much!!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

CR Pros: On the monorail, walk to/from MK, large rooms.
CR Cons: Dated theming.

BC Pros: Walk to EPCOT, walk or boat to DHS, SAB, many restaurants in the area.
BC Cons: Always seems busy/loud in the lobby (that's why we prefer YC).

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

The bus to MK from the BC usually only shares with the YC. The BC is the last stop, so the bus goes directly to MK from the BC. There are odd occasions when the bus to MK is shared with another resort besides the YC, but that hasn't been very often. Since you can walk to Epcot and take a boat to HS, I wouldn't worry about a 15 - 20 minute bus ride to MK. And you always have the option of walking through Epcot to catch the monorail to MK. See, a vacation without buses, except for a trip to AK or DTD.

I also never worry about the busy lobby. I never spend any time in the lobby, except for check in and waiting for a table at Cape May Cafe.

The BC would be excellent if you plan on attending F&W. It is really just a few steps to the World Showcase. You'll be amazed at how close it is, closer than the CR is to the MK. And there are plenty of restaurants outside of Epcot, along the boardwalk. It is a lovely area to stay in.

Probably the biggest disadvantage of the BC is the lack of a real counter service option. The Marketplace is convenient with lots of options. And because the villas are there, it has a lot of grocery items. With a microwave and toaster in a studio, you would be able to prepare some food in your room. And the studios have a balcony, which is nice. We have stayed in the 2 bedroom villas three times, and love them.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
The bus to MK from the BC usually only shares with the YC. The BC is the last stop, so the bus goes directly to MK from the BC. There are odd occasions when the bus to MK is shared with another resort besides the YC, but that hasn't been very often. Since you can walk to Epcot and take a boat to HS, I wouldn't worry about a 15 - 20 minute bus ride to MK. And you always have the option of walking through Epcot to catch the monorail to MK. See, a vacation without buses, except for a trip to AK or DTD.

I also never worry about the busy lobby. I never spend any time in the lobby, except for check in and waiting for a table at Cape May Cafe.

The BC would be excellent if you plan on attending F&W. It is really just a few steps to the World Showcase. You'll be amazed at how close it is, closer than the CR is to the MK. And there are plenty of restaurants outside of Epcot, along the boardwalk. It is a lovely area to stay in.

Probably the biggest disadvantage of the BC is the lack of a real counter service option. The Marketplace is convenient with lots of options. And because the villas are there, it has a lot of grocery items. With a microwave and toaster in a studio, you would be able to prepare some food in your room. And the studios have a balcony, which is nice. We have stayed in the 2 bedroom villas three times, and love them.
Great review. I too agree that the BC is your better option between BC and CR. The major reason I say this is that you wanted to stay in the garden wing at CR. Not a good choice...I like being in the main tower far better...closer to monorail, food, shops, drink refills, etc.

Having stayed at the BC more than I can count I can tell you that if you plan on enjoying the F&W festival this is the place to stay. The bus ride should not be a major problem since you are so close to DHS and EC.

I would slightly agree with the person who said the lobby is "busy...somewhat loud" however if that is a major issue for you simply choose the YC instead.

If you are pool people BC/YC is the place for you...best pool on property.

Dining options are also better at BC/YC with the Flying Fish just across the way on the boardwalk as well as the Yachtsman right in the hotel. If those two don't work for you than EC has so many options you can't go wrong.

As far as the rooms at BC...just get a standard room w/two beds...price wise not much different than most and plenty of room.

Hope this helps.
1990's-2006 - Multiple trips ...mostly to BC, 2010 - BC, July 2012 - AKL, BLT, December 2012 - BC, April 2013 - DL, DCA Offsite, July 2013 - BLT, December 2013 - BC, July 2014 - BLT, October 2014 - S&D, 2014-15? - DCL, BC?

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for your advice! I was really only looking at CR because of the monorail. I think we'll be spending most if not all our park time at MK and Epcot next trip.

I think that if it gets closer to our trip and the Poly looks like it will be a construction zone, we may transfer our reservation to a Beach Club Standard Room Club Level.

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

BC pros:

-Proximity to Epcot (partlcularly nice after Illuminations).
-Proximity to the Boardwalk area.
-Proximity to DHS.
-Tons of TS dining options withing walking distance.
-Nice rooms with attractively themed decor.
-Cape May's breakfast.

BC cons:

-Bus service (shared with a bunch of other Epcot resorts).
-Lack of CS dining options.
-Lobby and common areas (BC Marketplace, etc.) tend to be chaotic.
-Theming isn't as fun or immersive as some Disney resorts (but arguably moreso than CR).

Most people would list SAB as a pro but to me, it's somewhat of a mixed bag. While it's a very cool and unique pool complex, it's almost too large for it's own good. And I don't like how you have to leave the pool complex to get on the slide (plus the slide has bumps that hurt my back).
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
lebowskihateseagles
Earning My Ears

2 years ago, my DW and DD stayed at the Poly for monorail convenience, my first time there as a guest, and we loved it.

Flash back to 2001. I was at the Beach Club over 9/11 for a conference. It was the last time I've been there. Proximity to the Boardwalk, and the pool, the quality of the rooms, and proximity to Illuminations, and the awesome "take out" from EPCOT has got me really fired up for a great trip.

Granted, it's been a bit, but BC is a winner. It has a soft spot in my food eating, park hopping, sentimental heart.
lebowskihateseagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
lebowskihateseagles
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowskihateseagles View Post
2 years ago, my DW and DD stayed at the Poly for monorail convenience, my first time there as a guest, and we loved it. Flash back to 2001. I was at the Beach Club over 9/11 for a conference. It was the last time I've been there. Proximity to the Boardwalk, and the pool, the quality of the rooms, and proximity to Illuminations, and the awesome "take out" from EPCOT has got me really fired up for a great trip. Granted, it's been a bit, but BC is a winner. It has a soft spot in my food eating, park hopping, sentimental heart.
FYI, we just crossed the 60 day countdown mark.
lebowskihateseagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Fivesacharm
Mouseketeer

Beach Club is a great resort. The proximity to Epcot (and DHS for that matter) is a HUGE plus, as we LOVE that area. We also like that it's so close to Boardwalk because that adds something else to do during the evenings. The pool is amazing and the rooms are nice, and too be quite honest, the pull out bed might be more comfortable than the regular bed (I slept like a baby). While the BC does share a bus with YC, that never proved to be an issue. We always got on a bus no problem.

I'd pick BC over Contemporary every time!

Fivesacharm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: