Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
ILoveToRun
Mouseketeer

Is the wi-fi fast enough for my Apple TV?

I want to bring my Apple TV but only if the wi-fi is fast enough. Is it? I don't mind waiting a couple minutes for something to load, but I don't want to wait an hour to watch something 22 minutes.

Also, do the TVs at POFQ and SSR have HDMI hookups?
ILoveToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I was at saratoga springs last April over spring break. Unless some thing happened since then. No it is not.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
wdwjeffc37
DisneyWorldFan

I would say the wi-fi is not fast enough for streaming devices. I also found the connection to be unreliable. I'm not sure about the HDMI. We had days where we didn't even turn on the television. We were at the CSR and I think when the demand on the wi-fi system gets high you get dropped connections. I noticed in the evenings it was a lot slower. YMMV.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveToRun View Post
I want to bring my Apple TV but only if the wi-fi is fast enough. Is it? I don't mind waiting a couple minutes for something to load, but I don't want to wait an hour to watch something 22 minutes.

Also, do the TVs at POFQ and SSR have HDMI hookups?
An hour would be good for the Disney wifi
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Not unless you get really, really lucky with your wi-fi speeds. I've had it vary from halfway decent to hardly being able to check my email. The infrastructure almost certainly isn't intended to support guests streaming HD video.

If POFQ and SSR have the same flat screens that the values do, they do have an HDMI port, but I never bothered trying to hook anything up and change the input.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

We were at BCV and the WiFi wasn't fast enough to stream. More importantly, I couldn't hold a connection for more than 15-20 minutes, even when stationary, without losing the signal. This happened on 2 iPhones and 2 5th Gen Touches.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

It really depends. I have had rooms with wifi strong enough to stream, and rooms with wifi so poor I could barely check email.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Rendar
Earning My Ears

I have been streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime at night for the last two weeks using Disney's wifi. It has been pretty smooth almost the whole time.
Rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwjeffc37 View Post
I would say the wi-fi is not fast enough for streaming devices. I also found the connection to be unreliable. I'm not sure about the HDMI. We had days where we didn't even turn on the television. We were at the CSR and I think when the demand on the wi-fi system gets high you get dropped connections. I noticed in the evenings it was a lot slower. YMMV.
Disagree, in some cases, when we were at POR for 2 weeks in May, I fell asleep to Netflix just about every night, never had any problem.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
shan136
Mouseketeer

4g speeds?

Locally, sometimes I find faster service if I switch off wifi and use the 4g network for my ipad & iphone. If I were willing to incur data charges, are the 3g/4g speeds in the resort areas (staying at BWI) fast enough to stream?

(I know it may sound odd to ask, but WDW TV has left a lot to be desired and I may want to download movies/shows before I get down there)...

Thanks.
shan136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
DH6230
Earning My Ears

I have watched my Detroit Tigers on Mlb tv at the Pop and I also watched a game at Epcot during a Night Ranger concert that my wife wanted to see. It might drop out a few times but it was better than missing the game.
DH6230 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: