Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquelover View Post
..... What are the pros/cons of deck 11 versus 12? .....
Deck 11 verandas are more enclosed with glass. You basically have a window opening in the cat V's. They are 2-3 feet deeper though on 11. There is a bumpout on 11 and 12 which the balconies extend onto making these particular verandas deeper/larger.

I personally would avoid the first forward three cat V's.

The halls should be quieter on 11 and 12. But kids are there too.

These cabins book quickly depending on the sailing/length. But prices are more stable than others, unless you are looking at peak summer and holiday periods.

Have you seen this pic? http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...A/458bddbe.jpg

HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This will be a first cruise for my DW and DDs so I thought it might be even more special to kick it up a notch (or 2-3 notches as you mentioned). After reading up some here, the perks of concierge level seem worth it, especially if it saves time at boarding. The price difference was not huge as long as you didn't spec out the one bedroom apartment or larger. We all seem to consume more beverages than normal so having the lounge will be nice as well. I imagine the concierge staff will be very helpful in booking excursions and extra cost dining which will also be a big plus for us as DCL novices. The usual routine for us before leaving the room for the day or before dinner/shows is to get the kids ready then after my DW or I are ready, we move onto the lounge while the other gets ready. In this case concierge rooms with a dedicated lounge are very nice. I think the DW will be in the spa quite a bit as well, and these rooms are ridiculously close to where she will be.
To each their own, but I don't think traffic in the hallways is an issue at all. All our sailings have been cat 4-5 and as long as you stay far away from midship in terms of stateroom location, it is not an issue at all. Boarding is another non-issue that people seem to make a lot of fuss about. If you like being aboard the ship bright and early, ~11:30am is when boarding starts, so you can choose an early check-in time and wait maybe ~20 miutes while the first 4 groups board and that's it you're on. Also, after 1pm, it's free-for-all boarding regardless what room category you have.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #33
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsobe6 View Post
Hopefully they bring them back. I don't want to deal with 10 of your family visiting , because everybody couldnt afford a room. I don't want to do deal with your FE hitting me on the shoulder walking down the hall. The gates were one of the few things on the DCL that allowed private spaces for concierge guest , who pay considerably more than other guest for the private space and attentive service. Now that the gates are gone, how long until non-concierge guest are allowed in the lounge or private sun deck.
Oh My God!

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #34
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldflame View Post
Boarding is another non-issue that people seem to make a lot of fuss about. If you like being aboard the ship bright and early, ~11:30am is when boarding starts, so you can choose an early check-in time and wait maybe ~20 miutes while the first 4 groups board and that's it you're on. Also, after 1pm, it's free-for-all boarding regardless what room category you have.
Yes, but then you also have to stand in line for the photo. You bypass that with concierge. Not sure how long it takes, but we passed about a dozen families when we finally boarded about noon-ish.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #35
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Pretty much at every (land based) resort/hotel I have been to it seems there are groups of kids just old enough to break away from their parents but too young to leave the property. So you have small to large groups of kids wandering up and down the halls, running around, just kids being kids. We like it quiet so this is an issue for us. Some hotels require you to use your room key to access your specific floor from the elevator, and I have noticed this virtually eliminates the issue.
I think the area is confusing to access. Maybe because you have to go through The Cove to get there from the outside or that there is nothing like shops or restaurants nearby. But there is really no traffic in the concierge areas.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #36
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
Yes, but then you also have to stand in line for the photo. You bypass that with concierge. Not sure how long it takes, but we passed about a dozen families when we finally boarded about noon-ish.
If you are not interested in the "tarmac" family picture, you can skip it and avoid the short line. We told that we didn't want the picture taken to one fo the CMs and they let us go by the empty lane. Again, to each their own and their money, it doesn't affect me in the least. I simply want to give my perspective about how to me and my family the upcharge from cat 4-5 to concierge is just not worth it given that you get 95% of the same things on many stateroom categories.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #37
PegIra
DIS Veteran

Concierge Gates

We were on the Inaugural Voyage of the Dream in room 1100. My husband and I both drive Mobility Scooters. The gate to our hallway didn't work half the time and then we had to go in search of someone to open the gates for us. Sometimes Some families coming by that were not concierge would come by and someone would just reach their arm through the gate and open it for us. It didn't seem to serve much of a purpose if it was that easy for anyone to open the gate. It was just a huge inconvenience for us.
PegIra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #38
hobbes493
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegazer View Post
Oh My God!
Agreed, wow. Let's leave the gates off the ship and do away with class warfare.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #39
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes493 View Post
Agreed, wow. Let's leave the gates off the ship and do away with class warfare.
That's extreme.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #40
princessnpirate
Mouseketeer

I was on the Dream in August. The gates are gone but I can also assure you I saw no one other then the passengers I recognized from the concierge. Chill people no one wants to gawk at your rooms!
princessnpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #41
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessnpirate View Post
I was on the Dream in August. The gates are gone but I can also assure you I saw no one other then the passengers I recognized from the concierge. Chill people no one wants to gawk at your rooms!
Actually they do want to look at the concierge staterooms. We had a couple of people when we were concierge on the Magic and they asked to look at our room when we were leaving the cabin a few times. This wasn't possible when we did concierge on the Dream while the gates were up. Some people are just curious or might be thinking of sailing concierge next time and want to check it out to see if it's worth it.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #42
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
We were in a concierge room on deck 12 a few weeks ago, and it was VERY quiet. We rarely saw anyone at all in the hall. We loved being close to the lounge. To me, that's one of the biggest pros of deck 12. The other big one for me (and not everyone feels the same way about this one) is that the verandahs are regular, open verandahs. The verandahs on deck 11 are deeper, but they are mostly closed in with glass. On deck 11, you will get more foot traffic because of the spa/fitness center. Those are adults-only areas, though, with the exception of the Chill Spa. You will also get people using the forward elevators and getting off on deck 11 to access the pool deck and Cabanas. Those people really have no reason to be in the stateroom halls though. The only things on deck 12 forward are staterooms and the concierge lounge. I compiled a list of concierge perks in my TR (link below) if you're interested.
i agree with all of this about deck 12. we loved it for all of these reasons. it was very quiet (this was on fantasy...but i understand the layout is the same)

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #43
sunella
Earning My Ears

We were set to cruise in 6060 for the 2nd time but then upgraded to 11012... Only to be given a free upgrade to 11008. Not sure why but thankful! I am not pressed about the difference in the verandahs. I will take the extra space! I like space. I'm just so happy to experience all of it! I cannot stop thinking about it! Oh and we have a cabana too! JOY!!! Single mom and 1 kid : splurge!! I work hard for the money, so hard for it honey
sunella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: