Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsobe6 View Post
Hopefully they bring them back. I don't want to deal with 10 of your family visiting , because everybody couldnt afford a room. I don't want to do deal with your FE hitting me on the shoulder walking down the hall. The gates were one of the few things on the DCL that allowed private spaces for concierge guest , who pay considerably more than other guest for the private space and attentive service. Now that the gates are gone, how long until non-concierge guest are allowed in the lounge or private sun deck.
On our 4 cruises on Dream, the gates were open as much if not more than they were closed. Even when closed, one could still access the hallway with out a key to unlock the gate....all one had to do is reach the around the back side of the gate and unlock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
If someone wants their family to visit, a gate won't stop them. And the halls are plenty wide enough that a FE won't hit you. To be honest, getting to cabins on decks 11 and 12 is a bit confusing and not like to draw much more traffic than it does now.
Exactly
Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsobe6 View Post
Hopefully they bring them back. I don't want to deal with 10 of your family visiting , because everybody couldnt afford a room. I don't want to do deal with your FE hitting me on the shoulder walking down the hall. The gates were one of the few things on the DCL that allowed private spaces for concierge guest , who pay considerably more than other guest for the private space and attentive service. Now that the gates are gone, how long until non-concierge guest are allowed in the lounge or private sun deck.
We let our extended family of 5 come in and visit us. Just opened the gates for them and they went right to our room.

We don't participate in FE exchanges, but we could have done if we wanted to. People have reported that the concierge CMs will help out and put items into the FEs if they are asked to do so.

I liked the style, but I didn't like that they were GATES. It just felt ugly and more than a little embarrassing to me, to have to let people in to come see the room. Ick.

I see no slippery slope here, to take out gates that only ONE ship has. Everything else has locks on it. There was never a need for gates to begin with.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #18
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

IMO the gates were annoying. I prefer the Fantasy configuration that lacks gates.

The gates were a potential fire hazard too for the pax occupying said decks. Most felt the gates blocked and obstructed their freedom. Most guests never locked the gates anyway. That should tell you something. Perhaps the gates blocked the fire crew too. Most guests should now feel pleased. If you don't I doubt you've been aboard. OK, that may be judgmental, but, the Fantasy never had gates, or has had an issue with wanderers from below if that was a concern. Surprisingly, or not, they learned aboard the Fantasy, it's a much more relaxed experience without the gates. Is it the 7 nights, or the restrictive gates? lol. Needless to say DCL pulled the gates. And I feel that speaks for itself.

We are now freed. We can now move about without restrictions. Guests can visit, FE's simplified, etc. during 4 night sailings.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Very happy if the gates are gone. I did not care for them at all. As others have mentioned, if you were on Deck 11 & bringing snacks back to your room, they were a hindrance. Any time your hands were full, it was a hindrance. Those rooms are out-of-the-way anyway. Hardly anyone goes wandering past there unless on purpose so I neglected to see their usefulness.

Last edited by AlexandNessa; 09-08-2013 at 01:31 PM.
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
mindy20
Mouseketeer

So glad the gates are gone !
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
We are now freed. We can now move about without restrictions. Guests can visit, FE's simplified, etc. during 4 night sailings.
Hmmm, as a DIS forum neophyte, most initialisms are fairly easy to decode, however, I'm stumped what FEs stands for and what is it? TIA.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Fish Extender

Thanks in Advance

http://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm

I had to finally Google YMMV. lol

Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Fish Extender

lol Fish Extender, that's a brilliant name for it. Thanks. Btw, I knew what TIA was, I was inquiring about FEs. Thank you all the same.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldflame View Post
I knew what TIA was, I was inquiring about FEs.
Duh. Sorry. It may be time for me to slow down and/or get glasses.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #25
torquelover
Always Dreaming

I thought going Oceanview with Large Porthole/Seat was the best way for us to cruise the first time, but now I am thinking concierge. My family likes feeling special, and really enjoys concierge perks on land based hotels. We like it quiet, the less traffic the better. Are these cabins on decks 11 and 12 set up so that most traffic, especially the roving groups of kids, are not an issue here? Seems deck 12 is better suited for lounge access. What are the pros/cons of deck 11 versus 12? Also, can the kids get smoothies from the lounge?
torquelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #26
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquelover View Post
I thought going Oceanview with Large Porthole/Seat was the best way for us to cruise the first time, but now I am thinking concierge. My family likes feeling special, and really enjoys concierge perks on land based hotels. We like it quiet, the less traffic the better. Are these cabins on decks 11 and 12 set up so that most traffic, especially the roving groups of kids, are not an issue here? Seems deck 12 is better suited for lounge access. What are the pros/cons of deck 11 versus 12? Also, can the kids get smoothies from the lounge?
Why the jump? You know there are 2-3 categories between oceanview and concierge (including ones with ample inner space and balconies). And, IMO, the cruise staff will make you feel special no matter what category you travel which is one of the reasons DCL has been racking industry awards right and left for the last few years.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #27
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Roving groups of kids?

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #28
torquelover
Always Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldflame View Post
Why the jump? You know there are 2-3 categories between oceanview and concierge (including ones with ample inner space and balconies). And, IMO, the cruise staff will make you feel special no matter what category you travel which is one of the reasons DCL has been racking industry awards right and left for the last few years.
This will be a first cruise for my DW and DDs so I thought it might be even more special to kick it up a notch (or 2-3 notches as you mentioned). After reading up some here, the perks of concierge level seem worth it, especially if it saves time at boarding. The price difference was not huge as long as you didn't spec out the one bedroom apartment or larger. We all seem to consume more beverages than normal so having the lounge will be nice as well. I imagine the concierge staff will be very helpful in booking excursions and extra cost dining which will also be a big plus for us as DCL novices. The usual routine for us before leaving the room for the day or before dinner/shows is to get the kids ready then after my DW or I are ready, we move onto the lounge while the other gets ready. In this case concierge rooms with a dedicated lounge are very nice. I think the DW will be in the spa quite a bit as well, and these rooms are ridiculously close to where she will be.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #29
torquelover
Always Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Roving groups of kids?

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.
Pretty much at every (land based) resort/hotel I have been to it seems there are groups of kids just old enough to break away from their parents but too young to leave the property. So you have small to large groups of kids wandering up and down the halls, running around, just kids being kids. We like it quiet so this is an issue for us. Some hotels require you to use your room key to access your specific floor from the elevator, and I have noticed this virtually eliminates the issue.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #30
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We were in a concierge room on deck 12 a few weeks ago, and it was VERY quiet. We rarely saw anyone at all in the hall. We loved being close to the lounge. To me, that's one of the biggest pros of deck 12. The other big one for me (and not everyone feels the same way about this one) is that the verandahs are regular, open verandahs. The verandahs on deck 11 are deeper, but they are mostly closed in with glass. On deck 11, you will get more foot traffic because of the spa/fitness center. Those are adults-only areas, though, with the exception of the Chill Spa. You will also get people using the forward elevators and getting off on deck 11 to access the pool deck and Cabanas. Those people really have no reason to be in the stateroom halls though. The only things on deck 12 forward are staterooms and the concierge lounge. I compiled a list of concierge perks in my TR (link below) if you're interested.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: