Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #61
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I'm glad the child is ok. These things happen quickly and it is best for parents to learn and try to prevent. My one child has autism and I would never rent a home with a private pool and I would try to stay places with out a balcony. When we did she was never allowed on it even with an adult. She was too fast and unpredictable. This last vacation at the GF was the first time she was allowed on the balcony. It was a first floor balcony so it was great. Now she is the extreme. My non autistic child , I don't remember banning him from the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #62
MinnieSummer
DIS Veteran

It amazes me that so many people immediately want to blame the parents without knowing all of the facts. I was sitting on the pool steps with my then 2 year old daughter on my lap. She decided to stand up. She slipped and split her chin open on the railing. I was right there basically holding her when it happened. Was I at fault for sitting with my daughter in the water because, let's face it, I knew my daughter could walk and stand up. Does that make me negligent or careless? NO it means that things happen and even with all of the precautions the majority of us take we can't prevent everything. Every one of you who have immediately started talking about knowing a child is a climber and therefore the parents should have moved the furniture need to think. Is it possible that the child had never exhibited that behavior? Really, this might have been the first time that the child was THAT CLOSE to an animal and wanted to get closer. New environment, new rules, new behaviors. Now, if the paper had said that the parents had boosted the child up on the railing so she could see, then yes, I could see the ranting. That split second that mom looked away was all it took for that child to move the table and by the time it registered what was happening it was too late.

We should all be thankful that the little girl is OK and that it has never happened to any of our children.
Christmas at BLT-MKV 2010
Christmas at CSR 2009,
Christmas at WL Villas 2008
Christmas at SSR 2007
Christmas at GF 2006
Christmas at BWI 2005
Christmas at WL 2004
Christmas at CSR 2003
Christmas at AKL 2002
Christmas at CBR 2001
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #63
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

I think what many of us are saying, and I agree, is that THIS type of incident is no accident. A balcony is a "red zone" when you have small children and you as a parent are responsible to prevent unaccompanied access.

I have taken my daughter to WDW every year of her life (she's 13 now.) We asked for ground floor until she was age 7, when we felt she was mature enough to understand her personal safety. When I did not get ground floor, I checked for a high safety lock. Had there not been one I would have moved furniture to block the balcony door.

I put safety locks on my toilets, cabinets, doors and knife drawers and covered sharp corners in my home when she was little too. We NEVER turned our backs on her when she was a toddler and even when 5-7 did not leave her alone in dangerous areas. Until she was 12 I never turned my back on her at a pool or around a campfire.

She's my daughter. My job to protect her until she knows how to do so herself. At age 13 she is capable of handling herself in most situations. But I won't let her stay at a party late with older teens, and I won't let her drive a car until I am convinced she knows how to handle emergencies and other drivers and she really won't use her phone. To do less would be parent negligence.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

Old 09-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #64
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Helicopter much? I love parents of only children who think it is possible to be that ridiculously focused on a child when you have more than one. I can't imagine being such an over protective parent and still raising well adjusted kids who know how to live life without being in constant fear.

I have 3 boys and I would never (and have never) watch them like a hawk 24 hours a day at the age of 6. My 6 year old fixes his own lunch, gets his own drinks, takes care of his own electronics and showers himself. I'm trying to raise men, not frightened little boys.

It is a tragedy what happened. Maybe it was the parent's fault, maybe it wasn't. I personally don't know enough about the situation to tell at this point. Perhaps the child was sitting quietly on a chair out there and the mom was changing a diaper on the bed thinking she is right there and nothing is going to happen. Then a cool animal walks by and the kid is up on a table to see better and loses her balance. Maybe the mom was out on the patio with her and another of her kids distracted her for a moment. Maybe the patio door was locked and the mom went in to brush her teeth and when she came out of the bathroom she saw the girl out there are reacted as quickly as possible. Must be nice to be a perfect parent.

I love the parents who say, "I would never have allowed my climber to be out there alone". First of all, you have no idea if this child was a climber, she may have been a timid child who normally never took risks. Second of all this is a 6 year old, not a 3 year old. Six year olds are in 1st grade. They go on school buses without their mommy with them and hopefully are allowed to climb on playground equipment without mommy being up their butts. If you are treating your 6 year old like a preschooler you have issues.

I am assuming that a lot of the judgmental people whose comments I'm reading fall into 1 of a few categories. They only have 1 kid, or they have a couple of kids that are still under the age of 5; they have only kids who are a lot older and don't remember what a 6 year old is really like or how they really parented a 6 year (a/k/a selective memory); they are complete control freaks whose kids are going to be pregnant/on drugs once they hit their teenage years; or they don't have kids at all. Stinks to be judged huh?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #65
OrganizedDis
3 visits so far...many more to come

I agree with you poor taste indeed
Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #66
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykorf001 View Post
Didn't the article say this was a 6 year old girl? We certainly let our 4 year old (almost 5 at the time) go out on the balcony and look at the animals while we were in the room getting ready. Did we keep an eye on him? Yes. Were there moments we were not watching? Yes. This is why we paid for the upgraded room so we could see the animals at will. It seems some on this board never let their children out of their sight.

I'm glad the little girl is going to recover.
I know right? We're DVCr's, and many years ago we'd opened the sliding doors so our 4 yr old could go back and forth. At OKW, the balconies had metal rails with Mickey head cut outs every so often. I heard this horrible shriek----dd had stuck her head through one of the Mickeys, and couldn't get back out. The rails were very high, dd was never a climber, but there was another opportunity for trouble I didn't think of.

I thought of that as soon as I read the title of the thread.

We all make judgments in parenting, trying to strike a balance between giving kids some independence, vs being a helicopter parent.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #67
DisneyNic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I agree with this. Something can be a parent's fault and still be an accident (not intended).
Exactly. And what I don't understand is this notion that because someone says it is the parent's fault, that they are saying the parents are "bad parents." Accidents happen to the best parents. While I do believe, even though we don't know the whole story, that there was something that the parents could have and should have done to prevent this, I don't think they are bad parents. I think they are parents. Parents that maybe let their guard down for a split second, at the wrong second.

I do have to comment on all those saying they don't watch their 6 year olds every second of the day. I don't either. AT HOME. On vacation, at a strange place, at a new place, at a place with a 3rd floor balcony: you bet your butt I will be watching my 6 year old every second.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #68
wyurm
Mouseketeer

As you are judging these parents please remember that no matter how much you insist it couldn't be, it could just as easily be you. It really only takes a second and I've seen my own son do things that surprise me. So if the mom was distracted and the balcony happened to be open that is all it takes. Are all of you judging really going to tell me that you spend your entire parenthood never being distracted once?!? If that is true then you truly are perfect and I am in your awe. If it's not true then try to have compassion and simply wish the poor girl well.

I saw this kind of judging when the poor kid lost his life drowning at Pop Century and I think I do understand. You want to assure yourselves that it can't happen to you. Sorry but it can. Be vigilant and don't beat up others for failing.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #69
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

All i can say is I hope the parents of this child are not Disers. I am sure that this family is devastated. I can only imagine the blame that they must be feeling themselves. I read that the mother tried to grab the child, but missed.

Accidents happen, thus the name. As parents, we are to protect our children, but we do our best. I bet everyone here, can remember some close call with their children. A kid runs in the street, baby jumps from a crib, there are a million examples. Sometimes people are lucky and sometimes good parenting can save the day, but sometimes we fail, and bad things happen.

I'm just glad she is recovering.

My grandpa use to say to leave judgement for the courts and God.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #70
dissupermom
Mouseketeer

in my state, the report is taken as "imminent risk that caused, or has the potential to cause severe physical injury". Orange County Children and Families, their child protective services agency, is conducting an investigation. why? because a child was injured. as I stated earlier, questions must be asked- who was watching the child? how long was the child left unsupervised? is the child a climber? did you know your child was a climber?
as was stated before "stuff happens" to kids? they get hurt all the time. they have broken body parts, but CPS must ask if this was a pure accident, did someone purposefully cause the injury, or was this something that was of negligence of the parents?
as a CPS investigator in my state, I would have to ask more questions regarding the supervision to know what to decide. however, the primary safety of the children rests on the parents/caretakers.
watch your children. if you are going to take a shower, close the balcony door, put the lighters and matches away, lock up the alcoholic beverages, put small items up so the kids can't get to them. hold kids by the hand when crossing streets... taking a vacation does not mean you leave common sense at home.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #71
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post

I think you seem to be confusing watching your child every second with the only thing the parents are to blame for.

It's a six year old. Chances are this wasn't the first time the kid climbed up onto a table.

At 6 all 3 of my children knew better than to climb on a table. ANYWHERE.

The fact the kid was climbing on a table proves bad parenting by itself.

Then the parents leave a kid who climbs up on tables alone... on a third story balcony??!?!?

Yeah, I can see why previous posters are suggesting bad parenting.

I have a friend who lets their kid run wild like that. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a swan dive off a balcony one day. If he does, it'll be 100% the parents fault.... not because simply because they let him out of their sight but because they failed him for years prior to that by not discipline him and teaching him not behave like a wild monkey.
Yep......
And if your kids are unlocking doors get better locks, there is a whole industry built around childproofing.

Problem is we are too easy and quick to say it wasn't anyones fault, truth is most of the time you CAN point exactly to whom is to blame... We just are not comfortable doing it.....

There is a HUGE difference between a kid running and tripping and a kids opening a locked to to run wild in the hood or fall off a 3 story balcony...
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #72
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
Helicopter much? I love parents of only children who think it is possible to be that ridiculously focused on a child when you have more than one. I can't imagine being such an over protective parent and still raising well adjusted kids who know how to live life without being in constant fear.

I have 3 boys and I would never (and have never) watch them like a hawk 24 hours a day at the age of 6. My 6 year old fixes his own lunch, gets his own drinks, takes care of his own electronics and showers himself. I'm trying to raise men, not frightened little boys.

It is a tragedy what happened. Maybe it was the parent's fault, maybe it wasn't. I personally don't know enough about the situation to tell at this point. Perhaps the child was sitting quietly on a chair out there and the mom was changing a diaper on the bed thinking she is right there and nothing is going to happen. Then a cool animal walks by and the kid is up on a table to see better and loses her balance. Maybe the mom was out on the patio with her and another of her kids distracted her for a moment. Maybe the patio door was locked and the mom went in to brush her teeth and when she came out of the bathroom she saw the girl out there are reacted as quickly as possible. Must be nice to be a perfect parent.

I love the parents who say, "I would never have allowed my climber to be out there alone". First of all, you have no idea if this child was a climber, she may have been a timid child who normally never took risks. Second of all this is a 6 year old, not a 3 year old. Six year olds are in 1st grade. They go on school buses without their mommy with them and hopefully are allowed to climb on playground equipment without mommy being up their butts. If you are treating your 6 year old like a preschooler you have issues.

I am assuming that a lot of the judgmental people whose comments I'm reading fall into 1 of a few categories. They only have 1 kid, or they have a couple of kids that are still under the age of 5; they have only kids who are a lot older and don't remember what a 6 year old is really like or how they really parented a 6 year (a/k/a selective memory); they are complete control freaks whose kids are going to be pregnant/on drugs once they hit their teenage years; or they don't have kids at all. Stinks to be judged huh?
Very well said!!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #73
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNic View Post
I do have to comment on all those saying they don't watch their 6 year olds every second of the day. I don't either. AT HOME. On vacation, at a strange place, at a new place, at a place with a 3rd floor balcony: you bet your butt I will be watching my 6 year old every second.
No you don't, but keep telling yourself that. If you have more than one child, it is impossible to watch your child every second of the day. If you think that you are incapable of being distracted by something/someone you are living in a fantasy world.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #74
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Both your posts are spot on Shelby.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #75
shan136
Mouseketeer

Two years ago we got an upgrade at BCV to a 2 bedroom villa. We were super excited, however, when I walked into the suite I realized that my daughter and niece aged 7 & 9 at the time would have their own balcony and we were on the 4th floor. Despite sitting them down and having a serious conversation with them about what could happen if they went onto the balcony themselves, one morning I found myself eye to eye with my daughter while I was on my own private balcony and she on hers, and I freaked out (I use the term "freak out" mildly here). For the next 30 minutes. I piled every piece of furniture possible in front of her balcony doors to prevent her getting out there again.

Needless to say, stories like this are upsetting. I am happy to hear the child will be okay.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: