Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,715

I really dislike that everytime there is an accident involving a child at Disney there are tons of posts blaming the parents.
smidgy is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts
 
xipotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,379

Sorry , your kid falls of a balcony its the parent fault. Kids are to be watched all the time lest things like this happen.
Lock the balcony if your not going to watch your kid.

No Oopsie for this kind of thing.....
__________________
11/2013 POLY Confirmed!
11/2012 POLY! CONFIRMED!
12/2010 Polynesian
Before that too many to list
!


SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #18
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Sorry , your kid falls of a balcony its the parent fault. Kids are to be watched all the time lest things like this happen.
Lock the balcony if your not going to watch your kid.

No Oopsie for this kind of thing.....
I do not watch my 6 year old all the time, I honestly don't know any parent that does. I go take showers and leave him downstairs all the time. Do you bring your 6 year old into the shower or hire a sitter when you need to go do something like throw a load of laundry in? I can look any door I want, but at 6 years old he can open any lock he feels like. This wasn't a 3 year old.

Seriously, think about it, do you REALLY have your eye on your 6 year old every second of the day?
__________________
Sheilby is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Assuming the notices they place in AKL rooms/villas are correct warning you to close your drapes for privacy due to video survelliance they may know exactly how this incident happened.
The article from news 13 states ''deputies said the child was trying to reach something...so she moved a small table to a balcony railing, but lost her footing and fell..."
"...the mother saw the child fall and tried to grab her, but was unable to get to her in time."
Another article reported she had minor injuries and was later released from the hospital.
The Dept. of Children and Families is investigating.

I had a fearless climbing child and I cannot imagine leaving him on a balcony unless I was out there sitting w/ him when he was age 6. I also cannot imagine not reacting to seeing said child pull a table up to the railing and stopping him right there - there's only one reason a child would pull a table to a balcony railing and that's to climb on top of it, and I would have been grabbing him long before he had a chance to climb up on said table.
3rd floor @ Jambo are regular rooms and those balconies are fairly small - room for 2 chairs and a small table.
The area below the balconies on the Savannahs actually have devices to keep the animals from getting w/in maybe 10' or so, she probably fell into that area.
Thank goodness they weren't in a room in the front of AKL where she might have landed on pavement.
I think it's easy to take a "that would never happen to ME!" attitude but it only takes a second of inattention for something to go seriously wrong. You may believe that you are immune to it be because you have done everything right ... So far. But you are wrong. It can really happen to anyone. Cut the parents some slack. A terrible accident happened to their daughter. Thank goodness she appears to be OK!
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Robbi
DIS Veteran
 
Robbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I think it's easy to take a "that would never happen to ME!" attitude but it only takes a second of inattention for something to go seriously wrong. You may believe that you are immune to it be because you have done everything right ... So far. But you are wrong. It can really happen to anyone. Cut the parents some slack. A terrible accident happened to their daughter. Thank goodness she appears to be OK!
Robbi is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,715

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Sorry , your kid falls of a balcony its the parent fault. Kids are to be watched all the time lest things like this happen.
Lock the balcony if your not going to watch your kid.

No Oopsie for this kind of thing.....
a 6 year old can be out of your sight so fast. unlock a door, move a plastic table. and Im sorry but NO parent has their eyes o a 6 ear old every single moment. not possible.
smidgy is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #22
MolonLabe
DTOM
 
MolonLabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I really dislike that everytime there is an accident involving a child at Disney there are tons of posts blaming the parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
a 6 year old can be out of your sight so fast. unlock a door, move a plastic table. and Im sorry but NO parent has their eyes o a 6 ear old every single moment. not possible.
I think you seem to be confusing watching your child every second with the only thing the parents are to blame for.

It's a six year old. Chances are this wasn't the first time the kid climbed up onto a table.

At 6 all 3 of my children knew better than to climb on a table. ANYWHERE.

The fact the kid was climbing on a table proves bad parenting by itself.

Then the parents leave a kid who climbs up on tables alone... on a third story balcony??!?!?

Yeah, I can see why previous posters are suggesting bad parenting.

I have a friend who lets their kid run wild like that. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a swan dive off a balcony one day. If he does, it'll be 100% the parents fault.... not because simply because they let him out of their sight but because they failed him for years prior to that by not discipline him and teaching him not behave like a wild monkey.
__________________

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I really dislike that everytime there is an accident involving a child at Disney there are tons of posts blaming the parents.
If a child falls, when the EMTs get there the FIRST question they have is about what the child was doing. My experience in this is my son falling at Target, while standing firmly on the ground, while trying on mittens. Because the mittens were locked together, and because he was jerking away from DH at the moment (DH had put a hat on DS that was bugging DS, who was only 3 at the time, and taking the hat off was tickling him), he fell backwards with force but couldn't stop himself at all. He slammed backwards to the ground and hit his head on the metal base of a clothing rack.

The FIRST question from the Target employee, firefighters, EMTs (there were two batches of uniformed men that showed up after the 911 call and I'm not sure who was who), triage nurse, main nurse, and ER doctor was "was he standing in the cart?"

Parents do ridiculous, brain-free, things ALL the time. It's only natural to wonder what on earth was happening in that room.


My son stopped climbing on tables by the time he was 3 and we got rid of the table (b/c he wouldn't stop climbing and because we're casual people who don't need a dining table). He never climbed on a table again. But on a balcony, yikes. We have a balcony at home and even now he's only allowed out there if one of us is on the balcony OR is in view of him every moment. He's 9 now, but that actually makes things worse because he's so tall and his center of gravity is changing.

If he fell from our balcony, I would EXPECT people to wonder where I was when it happened. And that's despite knowing that being an at-home/homeschool-parent and getting everything at home done is just about the most impossible thing EVER, in terms of watching the kiddo and doing anything around the house. But still I would expect those questions.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #24
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran
 
Viva Las Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I really dislike that everytime there is an accident involving a child at Disney there are tons of posts blaming the parents.
I agree with this, in hindsight 99% of accidents "could" be avoided but even the best parents can't prevent accidents 100% of the time. Kids do dumb things sometimes and no amount of hovering can prevent that. Most people are just fortunate that their kids accidents involve scribbling on the walls or getting a boo boo jumping off the swings, they've been told a thousand times not to do it but because they're kids they do it anyway and it only takes a minute.

Thank God the kid ended up okay.
__________________
Faith makes things possible, not easy.

Last edited by Viva Las Disney; 09-04-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Viva Las Disney is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #25
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,820

This is a key reason we won't stay at the Contemporary. For some reason, the balconies there freak me out.

That being said, I would never let my 6 year old on a Disney balcony without me or his mother. We set up strict ground rules about that upon arrival. Other than that, door is locked (most have two locks on them) and closed.
sonofanarchy is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #26
sndral
DIS Veteran
 
sndral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemom2kay View Post
You never know. Mom could have been momentarily distracted. Kids can be so fast. Maybe this was unusual for the child involved, Mom could have been tending to another child and in a moment, the light plastic table waa dragged, kid was up and over. You really can't know without being there.
Which is why I referenced the surveillance video - hopefully the authorities will have evidence of what happened and be able to take appropriate steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I think it's easy to take a "that would never happen to ME!" attitude but it only takes a second of inattention for something to go seriously wrong. You may believe that you are immune to it be because you have done everything right ... So far. But you are wrong. It can really happen to anyone....!
How kind of you to tell me what I believe - you are quite wrong in your assumptions about my beliefs, btw.
Please don't engage in faulty ad Hominum arguments by falsely attributing beliefs to me that I do not hold.
I agree bad things can happen in a moment - and it's clear you see this incident as an accident that could happen to any parent, whereas I am not so sure based on my life experience and knowledge of the balconies @ AKL.
I trust we can agree that it's great news that the little girl is already out of the hospital and that it's fortunate that she didn't fall from the 5th floor or the rooms in the front of AKL that overlook the pavement.
__________________
sndral is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #27
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
a 6 year old can be out of your sight so fast. unlock a door, move a plastic table. and Im sorry but NO parent has their eyes o a 6 ear old every single moment. not possible.
As another poster pointed out the locks on those doors are set high up, probably to prevent kids from wandering out onto the balcony without a parent's knowledge. So either the parent unlocked the door or failed to make sure it was locked. Either way they were responsible for what happened. You can't just absolve a parent from fault because you feel horrible for what they are going through.

Thank goodness the child is going to be ok.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #28
Srbright
Mouseketeer
 
Srbright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

The FIRST question from the Target employee, firefighters, EMTs (there were two batches of uniformed men that showed up after the 911 call and I'm not sure who was who), triage nurse, main nurse, and ER doctor was "was he standing in the cart?"
We were in Walmart (this was 10 years ago, before we had children) and the most redneck looking set of people are in the sporting goods aisle. I'm talking the woman didn't have enough clothes on to cover her self, uncombed haired, tattoos from her neck to her wrists and no teeth. Grandma wasn't much better.

They have an 18 month old baby that they are letting stand in the back of the cart. Mom goes one way, granny goes the other way and the kid takes a header out of the cart. I can still remember to this day the awful sound it made when that baby's head hit the floor. Mom and granny rush back and the first thing out of the mom's mouth was "I thought you were with him!". Granny says "hey, its your kid!".

The kid had a severe concussion. I absolutely blame the mom on that. The fact that her child was hurt does not give her ANY slack in that regard.

ETA: that taught me even before I had kids to never let my child stand in the bucket!

Stacy
__________________
August 2014 - CSR (9N/10D) (Was POR (8N/9D), ASMo 6N/7D, how many times can I change it?)
September 2013 - POR (9N/10D)
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #29
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,043

I noticed that our balcony door did not have a high lock this past trip, which was worrying. They should all have that extra lock at the top that most children can't reach (although I guess a child could always pull something over to unlock it).

I always pull the furniture in off the balconies when we stay at hotels.

Accidents can still happen though. I don't blame the parents although I guess you technically could.

Just glad to hear the little girl is ok!
ArwenMarie is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran
 
kappyfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
What, NOBODY else thought it was a little kismet that we have a thread about throwing stuff off the balcony into animal kingdom and a story about a kid "falling" off the balcony into animal kingdom within a week of each other?

I'm the bad guy for noticing that? I'm not trying (hard or otherwise) to be funny, I just find this confluence of events (considering the reletively good condition of the kid/victim) interesting and ponderous and maybe just a bit suspicious.

Nobody else thinks this situation smells a bit funny?
It's not so much what you said, just the "timing" of when you said it. It's like when you hear someone make a joke about an airplane crashing right after it happens.... Timing is everything!
__________________
Avengers Half marathon
2014 Princess Half & Glass Slipper Challenge-Done! Tink 2014-Done! pixie dust: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon- Done! 2012 Princess Half Marathon - Done!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.