Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

AKL Child Falls Off Balcony

Checkout this article:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4897670.story
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
KWithers
Mouseketeer

That's the stuff of nightmares. So glad she's in stable condition, amazing!
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
cobright
DIS Veteran

Anyone remember the recent thread about throwing things off the balcony? Anyone else checking the dates that OP mentioned? They wouldn't kick you out of the resort for throwing a kid out of your balcony would they? I mean if you had already paid?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
Accident for sure, and clearly the parents weren't watching her, got distracted, etc. which can certainly happen without malice or without intent. Stuff can happen in the blink of an eye. I really hope these people don't sue Disney or force a liability issue where Disney decides to like, close in the balconies.

Certainly hope she is ok.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
dissupermom
Mouseketeer

I am a CPS worker (child protective services). we get calls like this often, kids falling out of windows, roofs, picking up adult beverages to drink them and get intoxicated... although these may be determined to be accidental, we have to ask the questions of supervision.. what were the parents doing when the incident occurred. if the child is a known climber and explorer, then the parents need to secure precautions to prevent such accidents. don't leave a child by an open window or balcony with a chair or table nearby. if the parent hasn't yet learned that their little tyke is a climber or explorer, then to leave them unsupervised is a bad idea. they can climb on a table or chair to look out he window or a balcony. I have seen plenty of instances where parents purposefully pick up little tyke to sit him on a ledge to see or allow him to walk on the "other side of the ropes" to get a better view. I often wonder what is on the minds of these parents and ask. the safety of the child is responsibility of the parents.
I'm glad the the kid is okay and will recover. I know too many instances where the end results were much too tragic.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
aml3679
Kita's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
Anyone remember the recent thread about throwing things off the balcony? Anyone else checking the dates that OP mentioned? They wouldn't kick you out of the resort for throwing a kid out of your balcony would they? I mean if you had already paid?
I know you were trying to be funny but I find it in poor taste considering the situation.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Glad to hear the child survived and is going to be okay. What a nightmare for her family.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

I'm glad that the child will be ok but I have to question why her parents let her out onto the balcony alone.

The WESH article says that the mother said that the child was "reaching for something and fell" and the only way that she would have been able to do that was to be standing on the chair or table that is on the balcony. There are locks (placed rather high I might add) on the sliding glass doors to prevent little ones from going out there unsupervised. This is a terrible accident but one that was 100% avoidable.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
Trying way too hard to be funny.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
networktek
it all started with a mouse

Glad to hear she is doing ok

Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Tink575
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGMom View Post
I'm glad that the child will be ok but I have to question why her parents let her out onto the balcony alone.

The WESH article says that the mother said that the child was "reaching for something and fell" and the only way that she would have been able to do that was to be standing on the chair or table that is on the balcony. There are locks (placed rather high I might add) on the sliding glass doors to prevent little ones from going out there unsupervised. This is a terrible accident but one that was 100% avoidable.
http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfn..._off_disn.html

News 13 reports the child moved a small table to the railing, the mother saw her fall and tried to grab her but couldn't :X They say she has been released from the hospital.

It is a virtual miracle that she fell from the 3rd floor and will be OK.

Sept. - Oct. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
sndral
DIS Veteran

Assuming the notices they place in AKL rooms/villas are correct warning you to close your drapes for privacy due to video survelliance they may know exactly how this incident happened.
The article from news 13 states ''deputies said the child was trying to reach something...so she moved a small table to a balcony railing, but lost her footing and fell..."
"...the mother saw the child fall and tried to grab her, but was unable to get to her in time."
Another article reported she had minor injuries and was later released from the hospital.
The Dept. of Children and Families is investigating.

I had a fearless climbing child and I cannot imagine leaving him on a balcony unless I was out there sitting w/ him when he was age 6. I also cannot imagine not reacting to seeing said child pull a table up to the railing and stopping him right there - there's only one reason a child would pull a table to a balcony railing and that's to climb on top of it, and I would have been grabbing him long before he had a chance to climb up on said table.
3rd floor @ Jambo are regular rooms and those balconies are fairly small - room for 2 chairs and a small table.
The area below the balconies on the Savannahs actually have devices to keep the animals from getting w/in maybe 10' or so, she probably fell into that area.
Thank goodness they weren't in a room in the front of AKL where she might have landed on pavement.

Last edited by sndral; 09-03-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml3679 View Post
I know you were trying to be funny but I find it in poor taste considering the situation.
What, NOBODY else thought it was a little kismet that we have a thread about throwing stuff off the balcony into animal kingdom and a story about a kid "falling" off the balcony into animal kingdom within a week of each other?

I'm the bad guy for noticing that? I'm not trying (hard or otherwise) to be funny, I just find this confluence of events (considering the reletively good condition of the kid/victim) interesting and ponderous and maybe just a bit suspicious.

Nobody else thinks this situation smells a bit funny?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright

What, NOBODY else thought it was a little kismet that we have a thread about throwing stuff off the balcony into animal kingdom and a story about a kid "falling" off the balcony into animal kingdom within a week of each other?

I'm the bad guy for noticing that? I'm not trying (hard or otherwise) to be funny, I just find this confluence of events (considering the reletively good condition of the kid/victim) interesting and ponderous and maybe just a bit suspicious.

Nobody else thinks this situation smells a bit funny?
No not even a little. Such poor taste there are no words I can say without earning points.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral
Assuming the notices they place in AKL rooms/villas are correct warning you to close your drapes for privacy due to video survelliance they may know exactly how this incident happened.
The article from news 13 states ''deputies said the child was trying to reach something...so she moved a small table to a balcony railing, but lost her footing and fell..."
"...the mother saw the child fall and tried to grab her, but was unable to get to her in time."
Another article reported she had minor injuries and was later released from the hospital.
The Dept. of Children and Families is investigating.

I had a fearless climbing child and I cannot imagine leaving him on a balcony unless I was out there sitting w/ him when he was age 6. I also cannot imagine not reacting to seeing said child pull a table up to the railing and stopping him right there - there's only one reason a child would pull a table to a balcony railing and that's to climb on top of it, and I would have been grabbing him long before he had a chance to climb up on said table.
3rd floor @ Jambo are regular rooms and those balconies are fairly small - room for 2 chairs and a small table.
The area below the balconies on the Savannahs actually have devices to keep the animals from getting w/in maybe 10' or so, she probably fell into that area.
Thank goodness they weren't in a room in the front of AKL where she might have landed on pavement.
You never know. Mom could have been momentarily distracted. Kids can be so fast. Maybe this was unusual for the child involved, Mom could have been tending to another child and in a moment, the light plastic table waa dragged, kid was up and over. You really can't know without being there.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: