Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
budafam
DIS Veteran

3 night cruise - worth it?

We're planning a trip to WDW in October 2014 and I would love to add on a 3 night cruise... it would be great to go longer but DH doesn't get that much time off of work. 3 out of 4 of us will have annual passes so the WDW portion will be fairly cheap. This would be our first cruise... will I regret only doing a 3 night? We're looking at the Dream... TIA!
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
sammykster
Earning My Ears

If it is your first cruise and you area already paying travel expenses to be in the area then I'm sure you would still have a great time! We have only done 7 nights in the past and fly in from WI so shorter would probably bum me out. While 3 nights is pretty short it would be a good way to see if you like it!

9/20/14-9/27/14 Anniversary Trip @ Pop Century
Disney Fantasy Cruise 5/3/2014-5/10/2014
WDW @ Art of Animation 5/2/2014
WDW @ Art of Animation 4/17/13-4/24/13
Disney Magic Cruise 10/27/12-11/3/12
WDW @ Fort Wilderness Cabins 5/13/12-5/21/12
WDW @ Walt Disney Dolphin August 2000
WDW @ Caribbean Beach Resort 1993
sammykster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy ºoº
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

I think a shorter cruise for your first one is perfect!!

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
adams3880
Earning My Ears

(Though I would always take the longest cruise I could get,) I would definitely go for it. If you've already paid to travel in and out, there's no reason it's not worth it.
adams3880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizney-cruiser View Post
Me too, especially since you'll be pairing it with WDW.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
We're planning a trip to WDW in October 2014 and I would love to add on a 3 night cruise... it would be great to go longer but DH doesn't get that much time off of work. 3 out of 4 of us will have annual passes so the WDW portion will be fairly cheap. This would be our first cruise... will I regret only doing a 3 night? We're looking at the Dream... TIA!
My DH and I took an adults only 3 night cruise this past May and loved it. We had taken a 5 night before so we did skip the shows but I think it would be a great way to see if you enjoy cruising. It will go by fast so pick and choose what you want to do because you will not be able to do everything.

My trip report is in my signature and it includes the daily navigators that you are given each day of your cruise. You can take a look at them and see some of the daily activities offered.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
budafam
DIS Veteran

Thank you! Great advice everyone!
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
rowlands57
Mouseketeer

I have booked a 3 night on the Dream for exactly the same reason. I'll already be in Orlando for Food and Wine so I'm 'throwing' in the cruise given I'll already be down there. It's a great way to break up the trip and the cruise is just so much fun. I cannot say enough good things about the ship, shows and Castaway Cay is just the icing on the cake. Enjoy!!!
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizney-cruiser View Post
ditto
Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Do NOT cruise DCL. Especially that 3 day cruise. That's how they get you. It's like your first try of drugs for free. Once you are addicted, then it's 5 night cruises out of Miami, then pretty soon you will be doing 7 night cruises in the Caribbean, then before you know it you will find yourself waking up on a beach in the Mediterranean, only halfway through your 12 night cruise!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'd say go for it; we do our cruises with WDW visits before & after each cruise. The shortest we've ever done is a 4 day, which goes by to quickly. That being said, since you are already there, a 3 day, should give you all enough time to get a flavor for cruising with Disney . Just be forewarned cruising with Disney is very contagious.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Personally I would reduce the Disneyworld part and increase the cruise, but you will enjoy the cruise no matter how long.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Who knows???

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

While we prefer a longer cruise...3-nights is better than none! If that's all that fits your schedule, do the 3-night.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
Do NOT cruise DCL. Especially that 3 day cruise. That's how they get you. It's like your first try of drugs for free. Once you are addicted, then it's 5 night cruises out of Miami, then pretty soon you will be doing 7 night cruises in the Caribbean, then before you know it you will find yourself waking up on a beach in the Mediterranean, only halfway through your 12 night cruise!
Agree..

Initially we were after a 4n for our first cruise until we saw *GT rates on a 5n double dip on the dream last year. We booked for the future on board, looking at xmas 2014 4n.

Then Kids Sail Free came out and we ended up on another 5n Caribbean on the Wonder. On board, 2014 dates come out so we booked opening day for Xmas 2014 on the Fantasy.

Then the original OBB I moved it for a post Xmas at WDW - 3n in the new Magic. Since it's a land/sea vacation, it's ok. But otherwise, we can't see ourselves cruising anything shorter than 4n.

Yeah - we are hooked!
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

My only DC was a 3 day. We tacked on a park hopping blitz the day before. those 4 days of pure magic filled a typed up trip log of over 20 pages! Its my only 3 day and definitely one of my favorite cruises. We did get a sea day for next May's cruise, making it a 4 day. But this year, we didn't have much time off, (because we had just gotten off of a crappy 7 day CCL) so the 3 day weekend cruise plus one Disney day was perfect. It blew away all the other 7 days I've been on (as far as cruise ships go.)

If you can do a 4 day, I would. If you are tacking a 3 day on to a WDW trip to see what you think, I would!

If 3 Days is all you can do, I definitely would!

Hope that helps.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~

Last edited by TwinPrincessMermaids; 09-18-2013 at 10:40 AM.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: