Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #46
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Ah an owner. Exactly what I was hoping for. U like it? I found that thread with canon users raving too. I think I'm set on it after reading for an hour or so. I have shot with it also and deff think its worth the money. E en though **** plastic it's very solid and I felt it was fast with focusing.

What r ur feelings?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
My Sigma lens experience has been very positive. The old 30mm 1.4 is a great bargain at around $250 used. The new 30mm and 35mm lens are better but cost more.

Canon 60D with older 30mm 1.4 'non-art'

bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #47
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

I have the Sigma 30mm 1.4DX lens for K-Mount. Yes it front focuses, but luckily the kind people at Pentax have given me the ability to compensate for that in camera with the AF Fine tune function. I like the lens a lot!

I have GAS bad, not as bad as it used to be but if I want to try something I buy it without reading others opinions any more. I form my own, if I don like it I resell it, all it does is cost me shipping and Paypal fees. Works out to be much cheaper than renting. My complaints with it,

Focusing ( but corrected in camera)
On Kmount it doesn't use HSM or SDM, but the screwdrive AF (not a problem for you)
Focusing distance, With its focal range, getting closer to the subject would of been better to maximize its DOF and decent bokeh.

I think you are looking at the FF not DX version, but those are my findings, it is TACK sharp for any Fronation people who enjoy his terminology (im one of them)

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #48
nbaresejr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylorc View Post
If we made purchasing decisions based on negative comments about a lens or any other piece of photography equipment, then nobody would ever buy anything.
This quote is beyond true. Before I purchase anything i research the heck out of things. Whats important to remember is that the vast majority of the time people dont post positives about things but they make sure they post negative experiences. Sigma in general gets a bad rap in the forums, sure some of it is true but also some of it is user error or just seeing things because they read 10 other people complain about it.

I mentioned Tom Brickers review a few times in this thread but for some strange reason this page will not let me post the link. Google search Tom Bricker Sigma 35 review. Great daylight and low light examples in it

Best of luck with your purchase!
nbaresejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #49
jimim
DIS Veteran

Holy debate. Just read through all this.

Ok so what I know.

We got a real user here saying no problems. I have read a ton of positive reviews. And some was with low light. I got a link from 8 mths ago with complaints on low light usage. I also found a link from a few months ago talking about the same bit it was due to a loose screw in shipping. It was fixed. Problem solved. Also it seems like the low light issue was a Nikon thing wen the flash was used. Read stuff saying if the flash wasn't used no problem.

Sooooo lots of stuff going on. I think what I'm going to do is buy it before my trip and insure it of course. If I do t like it ill send it back.

My other option is look at the canon bit is it that much better? Anyone out there have the l version?

Also the USB dock for u guys that have it. Pretty easy to use for firmware updates? I d t think I could handle much else with it. Or is it pretty easy to use?

Oh and I'm buying the new version from the art series. Not looking at the others. So right now I got this and maybe the canon l in my sites.
Thanks,

Jimi

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #50
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Holy debate. Just read through all this.

Ok so what I know.

We got a real user here saying no problems. I have read a ton of positive reviews. And some was with low light. I got a link from 8 mths ago with complaints on low light usage. I also found a link from a few months ago talking about the same bit it was due to a loose screw in shipping. It was fixed. Problem solved. Also it seems like the low light issue was a Nikon thing wen the flash was used. Read stuff saying if the flash wasn't used no problem.

Sooooo lots of stuff going on. I think what I'm going to do is buy it before my trip and insure it of course. If I do t like it ill send it back.

My other option is look at the canon bit is it that much better? Anyone out there have the l version?

Also the USB dock for u guys that have it. Pretty easy to use for firmware updates? I d t think I could handle much else with it. Or is it pretty easy to use?

Oh and I'm buying the new version from the art series. Not looking at the others. So right now I got this and maybe the canon l in my sites.
Thanks,

Jimi

The USB dock is very easy to use, and reasonably priced around $59. The dock fits on your lens much like a lens cap.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #51
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

Does the dock correct the focusing on the lens? or do you still have to make adjustments in camera?

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #52
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy14'sDH View Post
Does the dock correct the focusing on the lens? or do you still have to make adjustments in camera?
u use the dock for firmware and microadjustments of the lens with the dock.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: