Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm looking everyones opinion on a new lens choice. I have a chance to get the sigma 35 1.4 DG. THe new one. I shoot on a crop so I would be up in the 50mm range then.

Why I want it is for dark rides. I know we have talked about this a lot but will I be able to shoot with it in pretty much every popular dark ride or do I need to be looking at something wider like the canon 28 1.8?

I'm also looking at it for shooting the parades more often at night without flash and especially for the halloween party this year cause it's my kids first year and thought it would make my life easier having a lens that i can open up more if need be.

Thanks!
jim
Not a great lens for low light. A lot of people complaining about focusing issues. Read HERE

What kind of camera are you using? Depending on your ISO range, I'll have a better idea of what to recommend. I used a 17-55mm f2.8 with a 7D last year, and it was wide enough for Disney, and the f2.8 is L quality glass but $1k cheaper. This past year I shot with a 5DIII with a 24-105mm that was only an f4 at it's biggest Aperture, and was able to grab shots like below because of the ISO boost.

2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3

Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
ronfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
Not a great lens for low light. A lot of people complaining about focusing issues. Read HERE

What kind of camera are you using? Depending on your ISO range, I'll have a better idea of what to recommend. I used a 17-55mm f2.8 with a 7D last year, and it was wide enough for Disney, and the f2.8 is L quality glass but $1k cheaper. This past year I shot with a 5DIII with a 24-105mm that was only an f4 at it's biggest Aperture, and was able to grab shots like below because of the ISO boost.

Huh, I never noticed that thread over at dpreview.com I have to check that out. I actually own the canon 28-70mm 2.8 version II. It's my newest lens. I love it. It's my everyday lens. I just wanted something a bit more open so I can not shoot with such a high iso on my 7D. It would deff make parade nights much easier.

Thanks for that link. I thought the new 35mm from sigma didn't have the old focus issues.

guess i have to read a bit more.

jim

Planning Thanksgiving Park/Cruise Trip!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animagic! View Post
Personally I like wide angles and even wider apertures. I use the Sigma 30mm 1.4 a lot in the parks for low light stuff. I even use it as a general, walk-around lens sometimes. If you're using a crop sensor then I'd recommend staying in the 30sih range for dark rides. I've tried a nifty fifty on dark rides and I think the 50mm is too tight. Plus I'll take f/1.4 over f/1.8 any day.

I love the idea of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 but even if I owned that lens I would still throw on the 30mm f/1.4 for dark rides. It would also be my choice for the night parades.

But that Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG would be pretty sweet.
I've never owned a 1.4 lens. 1.8 is the lowest i own. is it pretty hard to get an accurate focus point when open all the way up. at 1.8 i have issues on the occasion but have gotten better with using it as time has passed.

jim

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I just read through that link u gave me and it seems like it is a nikon issue wit the flash. it doesn't really provide enough solid evidence that the lens will hunt in low light situations. i'm going to look a around a bit more on dpreview to see what else i can find. i've used the lens at b&h for a bit and didn't have any hunting issues but again that was in the store. I can always get it home and really monkey with it before my next trip in oct cause i have some time.

jimi

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
I just read through that link u gave me and it seems like it is a nikon issue wit the flash. it doesn't really provide enough solid evidence that the lens will hunt in low light situations. i'm going to look a around a bit more on dpreview to see what else i can find. i've used the lens at b&h for a bit and didn't have any hunting issues but again that was in the store. I can always get it home and really monkey with it before my next trip in oct cause i have some time.

jimi
What about the 28-70mm you have now? That's a great range for Disney, although the lack of IS might be an issue in dim lighting, I'd still go with that as your go-to lens. You can just bump the exposure compensation, or shoot in Av around f3.5, shoot RAW, and just correct exposure and highlights in post. I think that lens on a 7D will be perfect! I shot with the 17-55mm f2.8 last year on the 7D, and it produced great low-light captures. Examples with the 17-55mm f2.8 which isn't as good as your 28-70mm below:

I think your 28-70 would kill it in low light. It's better than the 17-55mm f2.8

Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What about the 28-70mm you have now? That's a great range for Disney, although the lack of IS might be an issue in dim lighting, I'd still go with that as your go-to lens. You can just bump the exposure compensation, or shoot in Av around f3.5, shoot RAW, and just correct exposure and highlights in post. I think that lens on a 7D will be perfect! I shot with the 17-55mm f2.8 last year on the 7D, and it produced great low-light captures. Examples with the 17-55mm f2.8 which isn't as good as your 28-70mm below:

I think your 28-70 would kill it in low light. It's better than the 17-55mm f2.8
It is a great range for disney, but I just wasn't able to get a fast enough shutter even at 2.8 and 1250 iso in dark rides to not have any shake. I'm just not the most steady person. i think that's a bad thing too cause i'm only in my 30's! lol

in low light it is deff good but in total darkness in disney or at the parade it isn't enough for me.

am i trying to justify a toy also is in the back of my head. . . lol

jimi

Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

I don`t know if the 35 is. But the new Sigma 30 1.4 DC has the ability to hook up to your laptop through a USB adapter to set focus points.

Kevin
Wonder 5/27/2013-Alaska
Magic 1/27/2014-Bahamas
Magic 11/12/2014-Southern, 11/18/2014- SJ to PC repo
Magic EBTA
DIS Dad's Club Member 685
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDAD View Post
I don`t know if the 35 is. But the new Sigma 30 1.4 DC has the ability to hook up to your laptop through a USB adapter to set focus points.

Kevin
The lens doesn't hook-up to a computer, the camera does.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No offense intended....I am not trying to flame you....but let's not forget that's one thread. Yes it's Dpreview...but it's still only one thread. There is 18 responses in that thread, and the guy who had the issue posted his comments 8 months ago. The were a number of people in that same thread who claimed they did not have the same issues as the OP. To be honest, I have the Sigma and have not noticed any of these issues on my d800 or D4 when taking low light shots. I should also mention that Sigma has a USB dock which allows the user to easily update the firmware of the lens.

There is a thread on Photography on the Net (Canon Digital Photography) where there is a 279 page thread where folks are simply raving about this lens. When doing my due diligence I wanted to know what Canon shooters as well as Nikon shooters thought of this lens.

Are there a few complaints about this lens....sure there are. But let's be honest, if you hunt long enough you can find complaints about every lens. But when I see Canon users who routinely purchase Canon's top of the line "L" series glass raving about this third party lens...I take notice. Particularly when those same folks sell their Canon 35mm L glass to finance the Sigma. Additionally I know some folks who sold their Nikon 35mm f/1.4G lenses in order to purchase the Sigma.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #25
PythonFan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
NWDAD is correct. You can hook up a few select Sigma lenses to your PC and do fine tuning etc using a USB dock and optimization software.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/sigma-usb-dock
Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually it's the lens that hooks up to the computer....I have the USB dock.

The dock fits onto the actual lens similar to a lens cap....at this point you are able to attach the lens to your computer, run Sigma Optimization Pro software, and update your lens or adjust the focus.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylorc View Post
No offense intended....I am not trying to flame you....but let's not forget that's one thread. Yes it's Dpreview...but it's still only one thread. There is 18 responses in that thread, and the guy who had the issue posted his comments 8 months ago. The were a number of people in that same thread who claimed they did not have the same issues as the OP. To be honest, I have the Sigma and have not noticed any of these issues on my d800 or D4 when taking low light shots. I should also mention that Sigma has a USB dock which allows the user to easily update the firmware of the lens.

There is a thread on Photography on the Net (Canon Digital Photography) where there is a 279 page thread where folks are simply raving about this lens. When doing my due diligence I wanted to know what Canon shooters as well as Nikon shooters thought of this lens.

Are there a few complaints about this lens....sure there are. But let's be honest, if you hunt long enough you can find complaints about every lens. But when I see Canon users who routinely purchase Canon's top of the line "L" series glass raving about this third party lens...I take notice. Particularly when those same folks sell their Canon 35mm L glass to finance the Sigma. Additionally I know some folks who sold their Nikon 35mm f/1.4G lenses in order to purchase the Sigma.

There's enough bad noise surrounding the low-light performance to suggest it's not a great lens for that type of photography. The OP isn't talking about all around shooting. He's being very specific in his needs, and the Sigma 35mm is having a lot of trouble focusing in ambient light. Daylight, people rave about it. Those "few" complaints are all around exactly what I was describing to the OP when I said that I did not recommend that lens. I gave him one link, but can provide a lot more, but that isn't really necessary. The OP is looking for the best over-all lens that'll perform well in low-light, and on rides. I would not use the 35mm for Disney rides, moving in low light, with focusing issues. He can't just fire off a flash for a quick focus in those rides unless he wants to anger everyone around him. I love Sigma lenses. I own two myself. I always use the 50mm 1.4 since it has great bokeh. I just think you missed the gist of what we were discussing, or why I said to stay away from the 35mm.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #28
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Actually it's the lens that hooks up to the computer....I have the USB dock.

The dock fits onto the actual lens similar to a lens cap....at this point you are able to attach the lens to your computer, run Sigma Optimization Pro software, and update your lens or adjust the focus.
That's pretty awesome. Just Googled it and saw the set-up. Works for Canon lenses too. Have to see which lenses it covers.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/sigma-usb-dock

Old 09-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #29
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There's enough bad noise surrounding the low-light performance to suggest it's not a great lens for that type of photography. The OP isn't talking about all around shooting. He's being very specific in his needs, and the Sigma 35mm is having a lot of trouble focusing in ambient light. Daylight, people rave about it. Those "few" complaints are all around exactly what I was describing to the OP when I said that I did not recommend that lens. I gave him one link, but can provide a lot more, but that isn't really necessary. The OP is looking for the best over-all lens that'll perform well in low-light, and on rides. I would not use the 35mm for Disney rides, moving in low light, with focusing issues. He can't just fire off a flash for a quick focus in those rides unless he wants to anger everyone around him. I love Sigma lenses. I own two myself. I always use the 50mm 1.4 since it has great bokeh. I just think you missed the gist of what we were discussing, or why I said to stay away from the 35mm.
I understand what the OP was asking, and I understand the repercussions of trying to take low light shots with a lens that has problems focusing. I have taken a number of dark ride shots myself with everything from 35mm, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 50mm. So I get the gist of what the OP was asking.

However, you directed him to one thread with 18 responses posted over 8 months ago and stated he should stay away from the lens. My point is that the OP should be careful about making his decision to purchase the lens based on one eight month old thread. Particularly when there are people on the board who actually own the lens and the USB dock.

Last edited by traylorc; 09-04-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #30
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I understand what the OP was asking, and I understand the repercussions of trying to take low light shots with a lens that has problems focusing. I have taken a number of dark ride shots myself with everything from 35mm, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 50mm. So I get the gist of what the OP was asking.

However, you directed him to one thread with 18 responses posted over 8 months ago and stated he should stay away from the lens. My point is that the OP should be careful about making his decision to purchase the lens based on one eight month old thread. Particularly when there are people on the board who actually own the lens and the USB dock.
Yes, I know I directed him to one thread for a reference, and didn't think it was necessary to post 5+ more to prove a point. (again) I like that lens. It's tack sharp when it gets the focus right, but for the particular type of shooting he's looking to get into I would not, and still would not, go with that lens for that type of shooting at Disney. I'm not trying to make anyone feel salty about owning a Sigma 35mm. It's an amazing lens, and I can easily link sites raving about it too. Your point about the OP being careful about making his decision is more based on the fact that you own this particular lens, and you yourself have not have any issues focusing with it. It's not just bad copies that are having the issue. Some Nikon users were reporting that this lens liked to hunt a lot, and front focus, so yes, I have concern for someone that's looking for a low-light lens heading to Disney when there are better ones available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: