Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer
 
PoohLover78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
This isn't gonna work with the size of the files. He's shooting RAW, and will most likely shoot a few gigs a day. The transfer rate would take hours. Great idea, but it won't work in this particular situation. Not practical I mean.

OK, to the OP: What kind of camera are you using? I shoot RAW only on a 5DIII, and that's about 36MB/picture. With a 128 GB card I can hold almost 2000 RAW shots. What size CF card are you taking, and how many shots will it hold on your MAX setting? What will you be using these pictures for? Are they intended just to be printed in A4 format, and maybe post online? Unless you're gonna make very large prints of these shots, you don't need to shoot at the highest setting. You can maybe play around with the settings and see how many your card will hold at Medium, or Small RAW, and as a last resort just shoot in JPEG. You won't have as much room to correct in post, but you'll almost quadruple how many shots you can take. You'll just have to watch your exposure, and take and delete test shots wherever you go. I just need to know what we're starting with so I can give better advice...

1) Camera make/model, and will it also accept an SD card.
2) What kind of CF card do you have right now.
3) How soon are you leaving?
4) What are you using the pictures for? Large prints, or A4 and online like Flickr etc?
First, to answer your questions:

1) I use a Canon 40D, only CF, no SD card
2) I have 2 4GB CF cards at the moment plus 1 2GB card (all SanDisk Extreme III). Since I'm a bit paranoid about losing them (I indeed have lost two in the past...), I won't get any larger ones so I won't lose everything
3) I'm not leaving for a few weeks, so there's still some time
4) A4 would be the largest these pics will be used for

The files all come out to around 13-14MB on MAX, so on a 4GB drive I get ~280 shots. Since I usually always download after the day, I never had a problem with the 3 cards I have now.

Since hakepb mentioned adapters - maybe that would be something to consider as backup? Like I mentioned, I have 128GB worth of Class 12 micro SD cards that I can only use in my phone as of right now. I don't know how speeds will be with an adapter but that might be something to consider?
__________________
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #17
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,074

With a large enough memory card, you never have to worry about losing it, since you never have to remove it from the camera.

I just came back from vacation. Had a 32gb card in my camera (bought for about $30), 1100 pictures and room to spare. I did bring extra cards just in case. In my rx100, I keep a 64gb card. I've never come close to running out of room on that one.

I suspect a 32gb card will be cheaper than buying adapters.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer
 
PoohLover78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
With a large enough memory card, you never have to worry about losing it, since you never have to remove it from the camera.

I just came back from vacation. Had a 32gb card in my camera (bought for about $30), 1100 pictures and room to spare. I did bring extra cards just in case. In my rx100, I keep a 64gb card. I've never come close to running out of room on that one.

I suspect a 32gb card will be cheaper than buying adapters.
Well, you know.... I lost my cards somewhere between taking them out of the camera to downloading the pics. Seriously. Don't even ask me how I did that because I don't even know myself. It happened to me twice. After that I went to the smaller cards so I won't lose everything again.

I guess I'll have to look into buying another card just to be on the safe side. Everyone in my family has switched to SD card cameras so I can't even borrow.
__________________
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran
 
fabulousfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohLover78 View Post


I guess I'll have to look into buying another card just to be on the safe side. Everyone in my family has switched to SD card cameras so I can't even borrow.
I think buying more cards is a great investment. I'm sure at some time again you will wish you had more cards. I think it's your least expensive & best bet. How long is your trip? I'm just thinking you may need to buy a few cards.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer
 
PoohLover78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfive View Post
I think buying more cards is a great investment. I'm sure at some time again you will wish you had more cards. I think it's your least expensive & best bet. How long is your trip? I'm just thinking you may need to buy a few cards.
The Orlando portion of the trip that I need to cover is 14 days of possible shooting. After and before I will be at places where I know I can download photos off the cards.

Now, with my luck, I'll go out and buy cards now just to find out that the hotel I'm staying at (off-property) gave me wrong info and I could have just used their business center to transfer my pics to an external
__________________
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohLover78 View Post
Well, you know.... I lost my cards somewhere between taking them out of the camera to downloading the pics. Seriously. Don't even ask me how I did that because I don't even know myself. It happened to me twice. After that I went to the smaller cards so I won't lose everything again.

I guess I'll have to look into buying another card just to be on the safe side. Everyone in my family has switched to SD card cameras so I can't even borrow.
Yes, I've made the switch to SD as well. But back when I used a CF card camera (I remember when I first bought a 1gb CF card... and was shocked at how cheap the memory came a few years later), I never removed the card from my camera --- I always transferred by USB. The 1gb card filled up quickly, but once I switch to a 16gb card, I never ran out of room, even shooting RAW.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohLover78 View Post
Well, you know.... I lost my cards somewhere between taking them out of the camera to downloading the pics. Seriously. Don't even ask me how I did that because I don't even know myself. It happened to me twice. After that I went to the smaller cards so I won't lose everything again.

I guess I'll have to look into buying another card just to be on the safe side. Everyone in my family has switched to SD card cameras so I can't even borrow.
I've experienced the pain of leaving an entire pocket camera at the airport and losing my entire week of Disney photos from my 2008 trip, I am telling you, agony like that doesn't go away, I'm sure you're familiar. That said I've never lost so much as a lens cap since, something like that burns you. My smallest memory card is an 8gb, I use 32s otherwise, and I have a pile of them, one thing that helps is that I got this ltitle SD card booklet thing (http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Card-Ca...sd+card+wallet) that lives in my camera bag, it only comes out to swap a card in the camera or plug in to a PC for downloading. I realize you use CF cards, which are larger, so you'd need to look for something specific to those, but I think it helps quite a bit.

Perhaps something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Memory...cf+card+wallet

I would think a couple 32GB CF cards would get you a long way.

Matt
superdisneydork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdisneydork View Post
I've experienced the pain of leaving an entire pocket camera at the airport and losing my entire week of Disney photos from my 2008 trip, I am telling you, agony like that doesn't go away, I'm sure you're familiar. That said I've never lost so much as a lens cap since, something like that burns you. My smallest memory card is an 8gb, I use 32s otherwise, and I have a pile of them, one thing that helps is that I got this ltitle SD card booklet thing (http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Card-Ca...sd+card+wallet) that lives in my camera bag, it only comes out to swap a card in the camera or plug in to a PC for downloading. I realize you use CF cards, which are larger, so you'd need to look for something specific to those, but I think it helps quite a bit.

Perhaps something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Memory...cf+card+wallet

I would think a couple 32GB CF cards would get you a long way.

Matt
I use memory card wallets like that as well. I have 2 of them, one for unused cards, and one for used cards. I worry more about dropping a card getting in and out of my backpack and changing cards mid-day than I do about card issues. I try to use larger cards that will hopefully keep me from needing to swap cards out in public where I feel more likely to drop one. I keep both wallets attached to my backpack with a lanyard, but store the lanyard in my backpack in a zipper compartment. That way I know I won't drop and lose one of the wallets.

I have enough cards that I don't need to bring a computer. Once I fill a card and put it in my "used card" wallet, I don't take it out again until I am home ready to download. Most of those cards only get used when we go on vacation.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I have enough cards that I don't need to bring a computer. Once I fill a card and put it in my "used card" wallet, I don't take it out again until I am home ready to download. Most of those cards only get used when we go on vacation.
I'm kind of the odd duck here, I have enough cards to go a week without changing them, AND I dump them every night to my laptop and copy them to a USB hard drive. Losing that camera really stung, I lost some extremely important memories with that... Though, I've never needed either the laptop or portable hard drive dumps, I end up redumping/transferring them to my desktop when I get home since I do my editing on that PC. My example is extremely crazy though, I don't recommend it to others.

Matt
superdisneydork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
ronfin
Mouseketeer
 
ronfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohLover78 View Post
First, to answer your questions:

1) I use a Canon 40D, only CF, no SD card
2) I have 2 4GB CF cards at the moment plus 1 2GB card (all SanDisk Extreme III). Since I'm a bit paranoid about losing them (I indeed have lost two in the past...), I won't get any larger ones so I won't lose everything
3) I'm not leaving for a few weeks, so there's still some time
4) A4 would be the largest these pics will be used for

The files all come out to around 13-14MB on MAX, so on a 4GB drive I get ~280 shots. Since I usually always download after the day, I never had a problem with the 3 cards I have now.

Since hakepb mentioned adapters - maybe that would be something to consider as backup? Like I mentioned, I have 128GB worth of Class 12 micro SD cards that I can only use in my phone as of right now. I don't know how speeds will be with an adapter but that might be something to consider?
With those file sizes you can get one 32 GB card, and that should hold 2240 shots, plus the cards you have, so that's almost 3k. I think you can get away with that easily for a trip to Disney. How about a 64 GB card? A little more expensive, but totally worth it for your camera. Ever consider an SD card with a CF card adapter? Check out an Eye Fi card. You can take pictures and instantly have them sent to your phone, or other wi-fi capable device.
__________________
2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3


Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
ronfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #26
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer
 
PoohLover78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 272

See, I never knew there was an CF to SD adapter. I do have 128GB of SD I can rely on. Which in itself would be plenty of space. Since I most probably have to by either an adapter or a new CF card, I'll see what comes out better price wise.

Thanks all for the great input!
__________________
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #27
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?
 
Pea-n-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southeastern Coast of Massachusetts
Posts: 21,910

I saw a netbook for $199 two weeks ago at WalMart. Mine was $299 when I bought it probably 4 years ago (for this reason). You could probably find a cheaper one used on Craigslist.
__________________



Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer
 
PoohLover78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me
I saw a netbook for $199 two weeks ago at WalMart. Mine was $299 when I bought it probably 4 years ago (for this reason). You could probably find a cheaper one used on Craigslist.
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not from the US so I can't use those offers
__________________
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #29
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran
 
Daisy14'sDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,498

Yes you can, get them to ship it to your resort :D
__________________
Our Halloween Pirate Display

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer
 
PoohLover78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy14'sDH View Post
Yes you can, get them to ship it to your resort :D
Except we have a different keyboard layout and plug in Europe I need to buy a new laptop anyway after I get back from WDW so buying a netbook for this trip would just be a "waste of money" as I won't need a netbook at all afterwards. I had one once and sold it cause I bought it and never used it.
__________________
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.