Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer

Download RAW pics at the parks

Hi all,

I have a question which I couldn't really find answered here. I plan on going back to WDW in a few weeks. Usually I had my laptop with me which gave me the ability to return to my hotel room at night and clear off my memory cards for the next day. Since I shoot raw, they tend to all fill up during the day, or after a couple days most.

Now, my laptop broke and currently, I am not able to replace it before my trip to WDW. Which puts me in a dilemma because I know my CF cards won't hold for the whole trip. I also don't really want to invest in more cards because I know I won't need them after. What I was thinking was to bring a couple 64GB USB stick with me and just find a place to download the pics from the CF cards to the stick.

Now here comes the question - is there a place in the parks where I'd be able to do that? While my hotel does offer a business center, they said I won't be able to hook up a USB drive to the computers for security reasons. Last time at WDW they weren't even able to burn me a Photo CD because I shoot raw (their machine couldn't read the format, for obvious reasons).

I'm slightly freaking out here. Part of the reason for the trip was the photography angle and because my laptop blew, I'm worried I won't get all the picture taking done that I want to. I'm open for all suggestions that don't mean spending a lot of $$$ for new equipment.
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

Buy a Netbook, pretty sure it can be used to transfer the data
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer

While I understand the sentiment of not wanting to buy cards for just a one time thing, in this case it may be your least expensive option, since without a computing device of some kind you'll have a hard time transferring the information. Also, I've accumulated memory cards over the years, I can honestly say I've never thought "Darn I wish I didn't have so many" .

That said, if you're really dead set against it and can borrow a netbook or something, I'd recommend using a portable hard drive instead of a bunch of flash drives. It'll likely be faster, and depending on how many photos you shoot, much more cost effective for the amount of storage you'll need. After the fact it does act as a nice backup tool as well.

Matt
superdisneydork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdisneydork View Post
While I understand the sentiment of not wanting to buy cards for just a one time thing, in this case it may be your least expensive option, since without a computing device of some kind you'll have a hard time transferring the information. Also, I've accumulated memory cards over the years, I can honestly say I've never thought "Darn I wish I didn't have so many" .

That said, if you're really dead set against it and can borrow a netbook or something, I'd recommend using a portable hard drive instead of a bunch of flash drives. It'll likely be faster, and depending on how many photos you shoot, much more cost effective for the amount of storage you'll need. After the fact it does act as a nice backup tool as well.

Matt
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Have you checked memory card prices lately?

I know 7 years ago, a 1gb CF card was $100.
But now you can get a 64gb CF card for well under $100.
A 32gb card for about $40.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info I was hoping to get away without actually having to buy more stuff and just do with what I have. Which is why I was hoping that maybe there'd be a place like a business center of sorts where I could just download the pics from the cards and be done with it.

I have also looked into borrowing a laptop or netbook from family or friends but as I will be gone for three weeks total, no one can actually spare their setup.

I'm a pretty tight on funds right now as everything seems to have broken down and was in need of dire replacement right after I paid for my florida trip XD Otherwise I'd have replaced the laptop already.
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohLover78 View Post
Thanks for all the info I was hoping to get away without actually having to buy more stuff and just do with what I have. Which is why I was hoping that maybe there'd be a place like a business center of sorts where I could just download the pics from the cards and be done with it.

I have also looked into borrowing a laptop or netbook from family or friends but as I will be gone for three weeks total, no one can actually spare their setup.

I'm a pretty tight on funds right now as everything seems to have broken down and was in need of dire replacement right after I paid for my florida trip XD Otherwise I'd have replaced the laptop already.
Is there perhaps someone who can spare CF cards for a few weeks then? Also, if you have smartphones, most have a cable that will adapt their charging/data port to a USB port to connect a flash drive or card reader, you could possibly use that to dump on to the phone, and then plug the flash drive in and copy back to that, very cumbersome though.

Matt
Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

What about repairing the laptop? If its the Hard drive make it run off an external...
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Is there perhaps someone who can spare CF cards for a few weeks then? Also, if you have smartphones, most have a cable that will adapt their charging/data port to a USB port to connect a flash drive or card reader, you could possibly use that to dump on to the phone, and then plug the flash drive in and copy back to that, very cumbersome though.

Matt
Seriously? I've never heard of that before. I have a Samsung S3. Must google that! Incidentally, I have 128GB worth of cards for the smartphone due to various free promos. That would suffice.

And I wish it was just the HD of the laptop. No, scratch that as the HD is still working (so glad about that, no data loss!). The mainboard fried, taking the power source with it. Repairing that would be more than a new one.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohLover78 View Post
Seriously? I've never heard of that before. I have a Samsung S3. Must google that! Incidentally, I have 128GB worth of cards for the smartphone due to various free promos. That would suffice.
It is not a popular feature, as it is rather cumbersome to use, but it does work with most smartphones, my last tablet had an actual USB port on it too, which was handy for this sort of thing. Especially since most phones require you to pull out the battery to change the memory card, so you'd have to keep swapping and restarting it. Still, if that was the only way I could take 3 weeks of Disney photos, I'd be willing to put up with it

Matt
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
SkaGoat
DIS Veteran

Which resort are you staying at?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

I would think cards is your best bet. All mine are 4gig Sandisk cards that I buy at B&H. They hold about 233 raw images. I always carry about 10 with me on trips & download when I get home. I like many smaller cards for safety reasons. If something happens to one card during download or something, my whole trip isn't lost. Good luck & have fun photographing.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
hakepb
DIS Veteran

If you have MicroSD cards, there are Micro SD to CF adaptors so you can take pictures straight onto the micro SD cards. They will have a bit slower write speed, but that might only matter if you are regularly hitting your cameras internal buffer.
Here's one:http://www.adorama.com/ICDASDCFA.html
(Although that is SD, so you would also need the SD to microSD..)

With the phone transfers, you need to make sure you get the RAW off the phone. I might be confusing myself, but it sounds like some phone apps concert incoming RAW into JPG.

Last edited by hakepb; 09-04-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Link
hakepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It is not a popular feature, as it is rather cumbersome to use, but it does work with most smartphones, my last tablet had an actual USB port on it too, which was handy for this sort of thing. Especially since most phones require you to pull out the battery to change the memory card, so you'd have to keep swapping and restarting it. Still, if that was the only way I could take 3 weeks of Disney photos, I'd be willing to put up with it

Matt
This isn't gonna work with the size of the files. He's shooting RAW, and will most likely shoot a few gigs a day. The transfer rate would take hours. Great idea, but it won't work in this particular situation. Not practical I mean.

OK, to the OP: What kind of camera are you using? I shoot RAW only on a 5DIII, and that's about 36MB/picture. With a 128 GB card I can hold almost 2000 RAW shots. What size CF card are you taking, and how many shots will it hold on your MAX setting? What will you be using these pictures for? Are they intended just to be printed in A4 format, and maybe post online? Unless you're gonna make very large prints of these shots, you don't need to shoot at the highest setting. You can maybe play around with the settings and see how many your card will hold at Medium, or Small RAW, and as a last resort just shoot in JPEG. You won't have as much room to correct in post, but you'll almost quadruple how many shots you can take. You'll just have to watch your exposure, and take and delete test shots wherever you go. I just need to know what we're starting with so I can give better advice...

1) Camera make/model, and will it also accept an SD card.
2) What kind of CF card do you have right now.
3) How soon are you leaving?
4) What are you using the pictures for? Large prints, or A4 and online like Flickr etc?
2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3

Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
ronfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
OK, to the OP: What kind of camera are you using? I shoot RAW only on a 5DIII, and that's about 36MB/picture. With a 128 GB card I can hold almost 2000 RAW shots.
Sorry to hijack..my first PnS used CF cards. I was going through stuff this weekend and found 2 old CF cards, a 64MB, and a whopping 256MB . Those would be good for 1 and 7 whole pictures on a modern camera

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: