Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
The beds at Pop are so hard. We had to change resorts due to backaches
from them. We can't stay there anymore. If you like a really really firm bed, you would be ok with Pop. It's a fun resort.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
disnut1149 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
We loved our stay at Pop last year but just be aware there are no water slides and not much else to do at the resort itself if you are planning to have some resort downtime. It is a great resort for the money if you plan on spending nearly all of your time in the parks (this is just my opinion). We did not plan on much downtime but ended up needing it to get away from the summer heat and crowds now and then and so ended up spending time in the arcade.. it was almost too hot to swim in August.. (NO shade at Pop).

We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside to get more resort/pool amenities (also queen beds!!) and are paying over $700 extra for that over POP this time.. I'm not trying to be tacky about the amount being spent, just to say how important I found that to be on our last trip! For $200ish to me it would SO be worth the upgrade to POFQ. We considered POFQ but found the pool slide to be a little small for my DS9.

Can't offer advice on Bonnet Creek or elsewhere offsite, sorry!
I had looked int POR, but the rooms I would want to book, the Royal Princess rooms, were too much out of my budget, and there weren't any standard or garden view rooms for my dates. I was aware of the lack of water slide at Pop, but what other things about POR made you want to book there? I must admit, I was still leaning to POFQ, I almost wish I hadn't asked my DH's opinion! I just wish there was some way I could convince him to do POFQ, but he's really into that damned big wheel. I guess if I bug him enough about it, he will probably just give in. Just don't know if it's worth it if he really doesn't care for POFQ.
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Tara8595
DIS Veteran

Oh - and I'd pick Pop over POFQ any day (if you look at my signature, you'll see that I have, often). Way better theming, better food court, proximity to Art of Animation gives you access to their food court too. Pop also has dedicated bus service (POFQ shares with Riverside), a huge arcade with tickets/prizes - access to AoA arcade, and movies at both locations gives you more options at night. The music at the resort is better too. Course, this is all just my opinion, but if you don't mind a double bed, I can't see how POFQ would be worth the extra money. There are still a few kids activities and games at the pool. And Ping pong.

And I know I said the beds were the same - and I think they are the same brand - possibly not the same model. The Pop beds (for me) have been more comfortable. But that's all just me.

I understand your husband's feelings about the theming - at it's most basic level, it elicits a feeling of nostalgia like no other resort.
9/00-BWI, 12/00-CSR, 5/01-ASMo, 10/01-POR/AKL, 12/01-YC, 5/02-BWI, 7/02-AKL, 9/02-BC, 10/02-YC, 5/03-BWI, 9/03-Disneyland-DLH, 10/03-GF, 2/04-BWI, 5/04-POFQ, 10/04-Pop, 5/05-AKL, 6/05-Disneyland DGC, 8/05-Pop, 10/05-BWI, 1/06-ASMu, 8/06-Pop, 3/07-Pop, 2/08-Pop, 8/08-Poly(DS 1st visit), 1/09-Pop, 5/09-Pop, 10/09-AKL, 12/09-Contemp MK Tower, 3/10-Buena Vista Suites, 6/10-POR, 10/10-Disneyland DGC, 1/11-ASSp, 5/11-BCV, 9/11-POFQ, 11/11-Pop, 4/12-Pop, 5/12-Disneyland-ParkVueInn(yuck)/DLH, 10/12-Pop, 12/12-AoA, 1/13 CBR-Pirate, 5/13-Pop, 8/13-Pop, 11/13-BWV, 11/13 Caribe Royale, 5/14 Pop, 6/14-Disneyland DGC, 10/14-AoA
Tara8595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi again
POFQ IS a really nice resort. It would be perfect for your girls ages. There is a slide that would be good for their age. It's not real big. Also, there isn't a lot of walking to do since its a small resort. This is great after a long day in the park. When I was there a few years ago, the beds were comfortable and not hard. The boat to DTD is a relaxing way to go.
Have a great time!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
disnut1149 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
A Belle Among Beasts
Earning My Ears

We didn't have a single issue with the beds at POP last May. We don't sleep on an overly firm bed at home and the ones at POP were a *little* firmer, but not "sleeping on the floor" hard by any means.

And, I can't say I blame your husband for picking POP. The giant Big Wheel and Mr&Mrs Potato Head sealed it for me We didn't have any kids with us on our trip, but the pool seemed to have all kinds of stuff going on throughout the day. I'm pretty sure the kids there weren't missing a water slide in the least...especially the younger ones.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
freckles04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva78 View Post
I had looked int POR, but the rooms I would want to book, the Royal Princess rooms, were too much out of my budget, and there weren't any standard or garden view rooms for my dates. I was aware of the lack of water slide at Pop, but what other things about POR made you want to book there? I must admit, I was still leaning to POFQ, I almost wish I hadn't asked my DH's opinion! I just wish there was some way I could convince him to do POFQ, but he's really into that damned big wheel. I guess if I bug him enough about it, he will probably just give in. Just don't know if it's worth it if he really doesn't care for POFQ.
Queen beds with double sinks, beautiful & relaxing theming inside and out, lots of shade, great pool with slide, hot tub, rec options like fishing, renting boats and bikes, boat to Downtown Disney. We also have an evening planned to catch the Yeehaw Bob show.

I must agree with the previous poster who said the bus service at Pop is outstanding. It was one of our favorite features! I loved that there was no bus sharing and that there is a roped off queue so no one can cut in front of you to get on the bus. The one downside to the bus was that at the parks, Pop Century seemed to be the farthest or near farthest away, but it was not truly a big deal.
MAY 1994: CBR AUG 2012: POP OCT 2013: POR JAN 2014: POP OCT 2014: POP

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I don't do values. I did an all star one time and we hated it. Now I have sons so little girls maybe easier but 3 tall (my sons were tall at age 8, lol and my dh is pooh sized) men squeezed into a tiny hotel room was horrible. Not sure I'm much help. I'll stay home before I stay in a value, so my choice is always offsite.

PS. We've always had just as magical trips off site as on.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
katyjeka
DIS Veteran

I probably will not be much help, but here goes. We've stayed in several onsite hotels, including POP. POP is not a favorite of ours, but we would stay again. Unlike most, I appreciate the line up for the buses at the values. It amazes me how many people will show up at the last minute and push ahead of someone to get on a bus first. Even though they know you were waiting before them.(Sometimes 15 or 20 minutes) Value rooms are small, but we are used to cruise ship cabins, so we really never had an issue with the size. The grounds are fun. We also enjoy the food court at values, although they do get crazy at times. Bonnet Creek is a beautiful resort. I do miss the housekeeping, and rarely use the kitchen, but we love the balcony or patio, and our girls love the "big" tub. I appreciate 2 bathrooms, and the washer and dryer. We usually stay for 10-12 nights, and with 4 dd's cannot live without a washer/dryer. I've wasted too much time standing in guest Laundromats waiting on machines. We usually drive our own car, as my dh hates buses!!! The parks are a VERY easy drive from Bonnet Creek. It's funny but our kids never miss the magic when staying at BC, although I'm not sure they understand its not Disney. The pools are great, and the lake beautiful. Its funny be we seem to enjoy our trips when staying at BC more. I think its due to the fact my dh and I have privacy. WDW is very stressful with families and I truly believe having alone time with each other is a must. Have a great time, whatever you choose.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

OP it sounds like Pop would be great for you,I'd downgrade from a preferred room IMHO and stay 7 nights in a regular room, the place isn't all that bit,it's pretty short walk to the food court.... my persona fave rooms are in the far back (50's) overlooking that pretty lake......Just book it,your kids will have a blast,mine love it there too....(and we've stayed at various places) I wouldn't do the other offsite options, it won't give you that same feel..... We're a fam of 4,and we were just fine in those rooms
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

if it's a choice between Pop and Pofq....(I've stayed both).... for a 200.00 difference.....hmmm..POFQ is WONDERFUL. They don't share buses, they have their own. I'd do POFQ Even though Pop is fun and cute....POFQ is way better. (it's my favorite) ANd the time we used the Pop buses,not so good,POFQ was far simpler.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: